PDA

View Full Version : Movies

Ankf00
12-22-11, 12:23 PM
Ridley Scott's prequel to Alien

http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/promethesus-poster-teaser-hr-540x800.jpg

:eek:

and Bond 23 happening, which is nice, MGM had shut it down during the recession & bankruptcy and wouldn't sell the franchise piecemeal apart from the company. It's funny that they wouldn't start production of 23 b/c of finances, and yet they went into Quantum with a third of the script (writers strike) because of, you know, $$$$

Javier Bardem = bad guy.

KLang
12-22-11, 01:10 PM
From what I've read, prequel isn't quite accurate. It is supposed to be another story set in that same universe. Any Charlize Theron flick will be worth checking out. :)

I do enjoy the new Bond. Look forward to the next one.

dando
12-22-11, 02:07 PM
The Muppets. Period.

-Kevin

TravelGal
12-22-11, 05:18 PM
There are so many I want to see that I can't stand it. WAR HORSE. I love horsies. And Steven Spielberg. The Artist. Even Sherlock Holmes although it got only fair reviews.

Gnam
12-22-11, 07:53 PM
Note to Hollywood, Sherlock Holmes is not James Bond. Message ends.

Don Quixote
12-23-11, 10:22 AM
Note to Hollywood, Sherlock Holmes is not James Bond. Message ends.x 1,000,000,000

nrc
12-23-11, 01:22 PM
Note to Hollywood, Sherlock Holmes is not James Bond. Message ends.

And neither are the Three Musketeers. Seems to be the latest trick for putting a new coat of paint on a franchise.

nrc
12-23-11, 01:41 PM
From what I've read, prequel isn't quite accurate. It is supposed to be another story set in that same universe. Any Charlize Theron flick will be worth checking out. :)

I do enjoy the new Bond. Look forward to the next one.

From the trailer it sure looks like a prequel. Unless they're doing a bait and switch some of the scenes look very much like the alien ship discovered in the original.

I'm glad to see Ridley Scott directing. Only he or Cameron could make me forget the stink of the last two in that series.

KLang
12-23-11, 02:25 PM
From the trailer it sure looks like a prequel. Unless they're doing a bait and switch some of the scenes look very much like the alien ship discovered in the original.

You may be correct, I am not sure. Much speculation on the web both ways. Probably to stir up buzz I suppose. I'll see it eventually either way once it is available at home.

Ankf00
12-23-11, 02:31 PM
There are so many I want to see that I can't stand it. WAR HORSE. I love horsies. And Steven Spielberg. The Artist. Even Sherlock Holmes although it got only fair reviews.

you shut your mouth. sherlock 2 is going to be awesome. because robert downey jr. is awesome. pure. awesome.

KLang
12-23-11, 03:16 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned M:I - Ghost Protocol. The ads showing the outdoor scenes in Dubai make me dizzy :eek:

TravelGal
12-23-11, 09:25 PM
you shut your mouth. sherlock 2 is going to be awesome. because robert downey jr. is awesome. pure. awesome.

I hear ya. I didn't think I'd like the new take on Sherlock but, let's face it, no one will ever be able to approach Basil Rathbone or Jeremy Brett so why not branch out for something completely different? I think these are fun. And I happen to like Robert Downey Jr very much. As long as you don't try to make them into the original, you're fine.

I spent the afternoon reading movie reviews in all the papers while the chocolate-about-to-be-fudge cooked in the pot. (It's not only "let's get the Christmas market time," it's "for you consideration" for Oscar time.) None of them is completely loved by anyone but the best marks go to (hold your nose) "I bought a zoo." Or is it is 'we'? Even if I could get past the point that wild animals need specialized individualized care so NO individual (or family) should own one, much less a menagerie, I just don't see myself loving this movie. Oh, and it took 14 horses to make one war horse. :)

G.
12-24-11, 02:30 AM
No love for Tintin?

Saw it a couple of months ago. (overseas)

Pretty good, but I don't have the historical love for the character.

Note: it may not be for the little little ones. Drunken captain, Tintin in a gunfight. Nothing worse than Indiana Jones.

I was able to watch Sherlock 1 piecemeal; a bit here, a bit there. I shouldn't be able to do that. Note to Hollywood, it's ok if I have to think when I watch a movie. As a spectacle it was fairly good, tho.

TravelGal
12-24-11, 01:05 PM
G. you answered both points. Tintin, yes, lots of love, but reviews were a while ago so I forgot about it. Sherlock I has to be seen at one go. I, also, saw bits and thought it was awful but when I saw it from start to finish, it worked much better. I'm expecting (hoping) for the same thing for Sherlock II.

G.
12-24-11, 08:47 PM
G. you answered both points. Tintin, yes, lots of love, but reviews were a while ago so I forgot about it. Sherlock I has to be seen at one go. I, also, saw bits and thought it was awful but when I saw it from start to finish, it worked much better. I'm expecting (hoping) for the same thing for Sherlock II.
I wasn't very clear. I saw S1 in bits and pieces, and got the whole movie. I did not need immersion in order to get the story. I also watched it S-to-Finish. Either way it was a good popcorn movie, but I wanted more I guess.

TrueBrit
12-25-11, 06:17 PM
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo....great book, movie is just as good...not suitable for anyone under 18....dark, brutal, intense, but brilliantly done....

Napoleon
12-26-11, 06:33 AM
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...

It's great to see a movie that cast a "struggling" actress, Rooney Mara, who happens to be a filthy rich football heiress in one of the main parts (not one, but two teams, Steelers and Giants, go back and look at her name).

Andrew Longman
12-26-11, 02:16 PM
Saw J Edgar.

I liked.

A worthy retelling of a big bit of 20th century history, made without preachy judgment but relevance for today.

Great period costumes and feel. Great direction.

A tad long, but I didn't mind.

They filmed the Jersey scenes in VA -- OK, I didn't like that, but then again I drove past the Lindbergh estate every day to work for about 20 years.

As for Sherlock Holmes, haven't seen the new one. I was suspicious of the old one (as I think Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce are the ONLY Sherlock and Watson), but I liked it. Clever. But still too much reliance on computer animation in a story that really shouldn't need it.

I am curious about the Tom Hanks 9/11 film thingy.

Girl w/Tattoo look interesting even if I like the other Mara girl better. ;)

TravelGal
12-26-11, 06:24 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned M:I - Ghost Protocol. The ads showing the outdoor scenes in Dubai make me dizzy :eek:

You nailed it. Apparently it blew away the competition. Box office-wise, that is.

TrueBrit
12-27-11, 02:35 PM
It's great to see a movie that cast a "struggling" actress, Rooney Mara, who happens to be a filthy rich football heiress in one of the main parts (not one, but two teams, Steelers and Giants, go back and look at her name).

The net worth of the actors never really enter into the equation when I decide whether to see their performance or not...

Insomniac
01-02-12, 05:04 PM

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7005/6596807571_841b9e945a_o.jpg

I saw it in IMAX. It was pretty good. The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo was better. (I echo what TB said. 18+. There's a disturbing scene (or more) in there.)

nrc
01-23-12, 02:56 AM
Speaking of CGI. I have very mixed feelings about the movie Redtails - not the story but the technology. On one hand the CGI, while still a long way from looking real, may finally allow some sense of what an real flight of bombers must have looked like. We're talking hundreds of bombers. Anyone seen this?

But on the other hand, application of CGI to this kind of story now means that we'll likely never again see a scene like this one from "Empire of the Sun" - one of my favorites.

02BBtN-P0lc

indyfan31
01-23-12, 12:08 PM
I'd have to agree with you NRC, it's one of my favorite scenes of all time. Just by the way it was shot you can tell Spielberg has a reverence for that airplane, the same way it shows up just in time in Saving Private Ryan.

Don Quixote
01-23-12, 12:21 PM
There is a beach flyover scene from the Longest Day where a couple of German planes strafe the beach. Pretty impressive photography, then you stop and think that the whole thing was done without special effects and the thousands of extras on the ground that were needed and how they were choreographed to make the scene work. Those days are gone forever.

dando
01-23-12, 12:27 PM
But on the other hand, application of CGI to this kind of story now means that we'll likely never again see a scene like this one from "Empire of the Sun" - one of my favorites.

Awesome flick. I had no idea Christian Bale was the boy in it. Note to self to rent that one.

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
01-23-12, 02:33 PM
Kevin, just buy it. IMO, it's one movie that should be in everyone's collection.