PDA

View Full Version : N. Korea leader dies

G.
12-18-11, 11:58 PM
Goodbye, little buddy.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/images/kim_jong_il_team_america_2.jpg

Dear Leader (http://news.yahoo.com/north-korean-leader-kim-jong-il-69-died-030848603.html)

Is his son more rational?

S. Korea on high alert.

cameraman
12-19-11, 12:42 AM
Looks like we might se a new night of the long knives. Betting on Kim Jong-un's long term survival does not sound like a wise fiscal policy.

Andrew Longman
12-19-11, 10:21 AM
Is his son more rational?What's your experience with third generation son's running the family business? :tony:

aportinga
12-19-11, 10:28 AM
No ****!

dando
12-19-11, 10:30 AM
What's your experience with third generation son's running the family business? :tony:

Dude, the Pyongyang Grand Prix is already being scheduled. :tony:

In other news: http://news.yahoo.com/n-korea-test-fires-short-range-missile-report-130006284.html

-Kevin

Don Quixote
12-19-11, 10:37 AM
What's your experience with third generation son's running the family business? :tony:

:rofl: Whatever could you mean????

But seriously, special place in hell for that little troll, having driven his entire population to the brink of starvation.

chop456
12-19-11, 11:28 AM
In other news: http://news.yahoo.com/n-korea-test-fires-short-range-missile-report-130006284.html

They couldn't afford fireworks. Missiles, they have.

extramundane
12-19-11, 12:28 PM
Is his son more rational?

Apparently he's a big basketball fan, and Toni Kukoc in particular.

Rationality doesn't appear to be a family trait.

Methanolandbrats
12-19-11, 12:36 PM
Apparently he's a big basketball fan, and Toni Kukoc in particular.

Rationality doesn't appear to be a family trait.

Here's the plan. State Department gifts him an NBA TV subscription and a Samsung 3D widescreen. Send him an autographed Kukoc Ball too. Send the Harlem Globetrotters on a tour. That should thaw relations and we can start selling crap to NK. Pretty soon there would be WalMarts, McDonalds, Starbucks and Family Dollar stores all over NK.:thumbup: I should work for the Department of Commerce, this stuff is not that hard. :gomer:

SurfaceUnits
12-19-11, 12:42 PM
Kim Jong-Un Privately Doubting He's Crazy Enough To Run North Korea

PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA—In surprisingly candid remarks today following his father's death, Kim Jong-un, heir apparent to North Korea's highest government post, expressed doubt that he was sufficiently out of his mind to succeed longtime dictator Kim Jong-il.

Kim says the task of somehow becoming "as loony tunes as [his] dad" is a daunting one.

While emphasizing that he was definitely completely insane and would likely become even more so as leader of North Korea, the younger Kim nevertheless wondered if he could ever be enough of a lunatic to truly replace the most unhinged dictator on the planet.

"Obviously, I know I was handpicked because I'm super crazy," said Kim, the youngest of the late 69-year-old dictator's four known children. "But my father was just so great at what he did. Did you know the people of North Korea heard his voice exactly once, for like five seconds? How nuts is that? Honestly, I look at stuff like that and I think, 'Wow, there's just no way I can ever top Dad.'"

"We're talking about a world-class nutjob here," he added.

Linky (http://www.theonion.com/articles/kim-jongun-privately-doubting-hes-crazy-enough-to,18374/)

miatanut
12-19-11, 03:34 PM
Plus one with nukes. If Tony had access to nukes, we'd all be dead, so let's hope this guy is more rational than Tony.

Gnam
12-19-11, 05:03 PM
We're not going to have any dictators left. Somebody call Greenpeace.

* Saddam - hanged by his own people
* Mubarak - caged by his own people
* Qaddafi - shot by his own people
* Assad - about to be tossed out
* Castro - on the way out
* Chavez - eaten alive by cancer
* Kim Jong Il - heart attack
* Putin - TBD
* Mugabe - still kicking
* Those dics in Myanmar - A#1, OK

stroker
12-19-11, 05:22 PM
We're not going to have any dictators left. Somebody call Greenpeace.

* Saddam - hanged by his own people
* Mubarak - caged by his own people
* Qaddafi - shot by his own people
* Assad - about to be tossed out
* Castro - on the way out
* Chavez - eaten alive by cancer
* Kim Jong Il - heart attack
* Putin - TBD
* Mugabe - still kicking
* Those dics in Myanmar - A#1, OK

Say........ this gives me an idea for a Dead Pool...

Dvdb
12-20-11, 11:08 PM
Say what you will about his policies, but Kim Jung was a master of parade choreography!!

chop456
12-28-11, 02:25 AM
Check out the funeral procession pics. Looks like he's in a Thule ski box strapped to a 1978 Zil limo.

That's how I want to go out. :thumbup:

Napoleon
12-28-11, 11:35 AM
Looks like he's in a Thule ski box strapped to a 1978 Zil limo.

Because he is.

(Edit - PS, that is actually a Lincoln believe it or not)

Don Quixote
12-28-11, 12:23 PM
I understand that the "heavens are crying".

TrueBrit
12-28-11, 05:18 PM
Check out the funeral procession pics. Looks like he's in a Thule ski box strapped to a 1978 Zil limo.

That's how I want to go out. :thumbup:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don Quixote
12-29-11, 10:52 AM
What an inviting place that is. more pics (http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/12/north-korea-mourns-kim-jong-il/100215/)

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/kjiobit122811/s_k08_21044444.jpg

Don Quixote
12-29-11, 11:03 AM
Who wouldn't want to look out their window every day and see this?

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/kjiobit122811/s_k26_28013400.jpg

dando
12-29-11, 11:10 AM
Those mirrors won't work. :gomer:

-Kevin

Napoleon
12-29-11, 12:08 PM
Who wouldn't want to look out their window every day and see this?

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/kjiobit122811/s_k26_28013400.jpg

Who is to say that I don't?

Napoleon
12-29-11, 12:11 PM
Semi-on topic.

Tuesday night I finished one of the books I have been working on and inspired by recent events picked up one that had been sitting on a shelf unread for years, The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War (http://www.amazon.com/Coldest-Winter-America-Korean-War/dp/1401300529) and read the first chapter last night. The book starts with the American high water mark in the approach to the Yalu River when the Chinese counterattacked.

I have long thought that if America should have publically executed any one of its military leaders for overwhelming incompetence it should have been Douglas MacArthur for what happened in the Philippines at the beginning of WWII. Seriously, they should have taken him to Hawaii and hung him from the remaining superstructure of the Arizona until birds picked his body apart and his bones washed out to sea. It is amazing he wasn’t at a bare minimum court marshaled.

After reading that first chapter last night I have decided there should have been a second public execution of an American military leader for overwhelming incompetence, namely one Douglas MacArthur for how he handled the threat of the Chinese coming into the conflict. Truman should have hung him from the White House Christmas tree.

In both instances he was practically told what was coming in a telegram directly from Hirohito and Mao respectively, and he ignored it.

Ankf00
12-29-11, 01:14 PM
ya but he sure did repel that Bonus Army!

cameraman
12-29-11, 02:20 PM
That bit of history was something that would send my father over the edge. His hatred for MacArthur ranks right up there with some of your feelings about ftg. He was working in DC for Harold Ickes (Interior Secretary) during the war and the rationale that was given to the cabinet was that they needed heroes:shakehead

Gnam
12-29-11, 02:31 PM
I remember reading an interview with a Korean War vet about the state of the American military at the beginning of the conflict. He said they handed him a bazooka and some surplus anti-tank rounds from WWII and told him to blast the Chinese tanks as they came down the road. He said he remembered sitting in that frozen foxhole with full confidence in his equipment and superiors. That confidence lasted until his first rocket bounced harmlessly off the improved Soviet armor and his commander ordered him to hold his position.

Napoleon
12-29-11, 03:25 PM
He said they handed him a bazooka and some surplus anti-tank rounds from WWII and told him to blast the Chinese tanks as they came down the road.

Either the notes on the dustcover, or in the introduction or in some preliminary pages which proceed the actual text of the book specifically mention the problem with bazookas against the T-34s (a USSR produced tank the Chinese also had), arguably the best tank of WWII (at least introduced in any volume), and one which the USA did not fight against since the USSR where our allies in that conflict, so we had no idea of how effective our weapons were against it (or maybe they did from secretly obtained tanks but didn’t expect to have to fight them) . It also mentioned stuff like machine gun ammo boxes with ammo just floating loose not being clipped into the belts, etc.

But the book starts not at the beginning but at the pivotal moment when the USA got creamed by the Chinese (I assume chapter 2 goes to the beginning then proceeds, the intro at least set up some of the background so it was not like you were dropped into the middle of the war with chapter 1).
Still the MacArthur thing was a whole other level. His army is moving north ahead of where he was authorized to be even though the Chinese had said they would come in and it was a big fear of something that would happen among others in the military.

So what do they do when suddenly units are no longer meeting refugees on roads and the countryside is deadly quite, when unseen forces were beginning to put up a fight, when they started to capture Asians in weird uniforms who in interrogation explicitly said they were Chinese, not Korean, and that they were there with the Chinese Army and could tell the American’s exactly where they were from in China, what unit, etc. etc.? They did nothing other than not pass the intelligence along to the commanders in the field other than to say they had picked up some Koreans who had been living in China (a bald face lie they told to their own people) and that, not to worry, everyone was going home by Christmas (needless to say those soldiers didn’t worry about taking up positions they would actually need to defend in an attack). It all but amounted to intentionally setting your own side up to get rolled up by the Chinese, which is what happened.

cameraman
12-29-11, 03:57 PM
The American commanders also did not feel the need to make their men climb up off of the valley roads to at least patrol the mountains above them. Who would be up there? Well besides the Chinese army:shakehead