PDA

View Full Version : Tora Tora Tora, Austin

NismoZ
12-04-11, 02:38 PM
Bernie sets a deadline, Dec. 7th. It's no sneak attack but probably still game over?

gjc2
12-04-11, 03:15 PM
Is the deadline for being on the 2012 schedule or for the event ever being on the calendar?

NismoZ
12-04-11, 05:01 PM
Thus my "?" Bernie SAYS it's about the '012 schedule. Of course it's really about him getting more money, don't you think? When Austin is saying the contract is unworkable and unfeasible and is ready to pay what they THOUGHT was agreed to, what do YOU think they are talking about? Sounds like Race Track Poker if you ask me. Probably has way more to do with the long term than just when the inaugural will be...if at all. Remember, he has the Jersey Shore in his clutches and says Europe is toast so Texas can just pay up...or not. What a wonderful guy. Maybe the SCCA will move the runoffs down there.;)

SteveH
12-04-11, 05:21 PM
I think Epstein was an idiot if he thought Bernie was going to be a pushover.

NismoZ
12-04-11, 06:14 PM
Exactly. Many here said as much on day 1. Was just bringing it up again because...ah, hell I don't KNOW why. Maybe New Jersey can at least get some streets repaved out of their deal.

Indy
12-04-11, 07:12 PM
Thanks, Texas. First you send us President Simian T. Beltbuckle, now this.

NismoZ
12-04-11, 08:01 PM
Yeah.That's it. DAMN Texas! They were trying to take advantage of that old English gentleman!

TrueBrit
12-05-11, 11:41 AM
Yeah.That's it. DAMN Texas! They were trying to take advantage of that old English gentleman!

It's sort of funny in a perverse sort of way...with Bernie being such a short-sh it and all...I always thought that the definition of a midget was a Texan with the bullsnit kicked out of them...Guess not...:D

NismoZ
12-05-11, 11:57 AM
Yup. Busch-holes abound. Doesn't much matter WHERE they come from. I'm certain we've met our quota here, too.;)

Andrew Longman
12-05-11, 03:31 PM
Exactly. Many here said as much on day 1. Was just bringing it up again because...ah, hell I don't KNOW why. Maybe New Jersey can at least get some streets repaved out of their deal.If Bernie fills a few potholes, I'll take it.

That won't forgive everything though. Or really anything.

Frankly I hope some Hudson County Tony Soprano type exacts his usual pound of flesh from Bernie and his "business associates" helpng "insure" a successful event without any "mishaps".

I mean someone has to pick up and cart the garbage off the streets of a street race, no? There are sooooo many permits that have to get processed by those uncaring bureaucrats, no? Won't want to find any dead spotted owls or anybody dead in that park the cars will be racing through, no? And you want to make sure no unions take advantage of you and strike, just as you are setting up the track. no? Oh, you thought it was gonna cost that? I feel really bad because we just found out there is going to be a problem. Unforeseen difficulties. It's a totally different deal.

Slow bleed. Drip drip drip.

NismoZ
12-05-11, 05:35 PM
I clearly recall Mario in downtown Chicago with Carl Haas and their Can Am car touting a race on LSD, Jackson to the Museum, around and back up..." BUT the "neighborhoods needed fixing up before money was spent improving a RACE TRACK!!" GOD forbid! People would have trouble getting to Grant Park and the fountain and...well, the whole idea was blown out of the water. Too bad. I was READY!:(...and Long Beach was being transformed!)

Andrew Longman
12-05-11, 07:30 PM
Nizmo, nearly the same story with PLN in Philly a few years back trying to put together a race on the Boulevard into Fairmont Park and around the Art Museum -- on the 4th of July. It would have been awesome. Elmo and I (and Fourrunner) were there.

But they failed to get the right people in the neighborhood comfortable about it first and it all fell apart.

I am more hopeful about the NJGP though. Hudson County is not Philly. The right people have already given the OK -- meaning the right people have been given their patronage and will be pissed in very meaningful ways if it doesn't happen.

Pretty much I think it is up to bernie to screw it up and he might lose his kneecaps if he does. I guess I can always hope. ;)

Rogue Leader
12-06-11, 01:18 PM
Nizmo, nearly the same story with PLN in Philly a few years back trying to put together a race on the Boulevard into Fairmont Park and around the Art Museum -- on the 4th of July. It would have been awesome. Elmo and I (and Fourrunner) were there.

But they failed to get the right people in the neighborhood comfortable about it first and it all fell apart.

I am more hopeful about the NJGP though. Hudson County is not Philly. The right people have already given the OK -- meaning the right people have been given their patronage and will be pissed in very meaningful ways if it doesn't happen.

Pretty much I think it is up to bernie to screw it up and he might lose his kneecaps if he does. I guess I can always hope. ;)

Same story at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. Would have been awesome to have a ChampCar race there... its a freeking abandoned air strip, with nothing around it! And people STILL complained. It got squashed before going anywhere.

Andrew Longman
12-06-11, 01:36 PM
Same story at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. Probably afraid the sound of the cars would drown out the Brooklyn gunfire.

Sorry, I'm just a bit resentful today because my wife needs to leave in a bit for Brooklyn to visit her mother who is in a crap hospital where now she has picked up a nasty infection after refusing and putting off an operation she's needed for six months... but I digress. Did I mention the $25 in tolls and $20 to park at the hospital? oops, still digressing.

Same thing sort of happened in DC for the ALMS race -- except no one bothered to ask the neighbors about having a race in their front yards because it was a "poor" neighborhood and the city just assumed they would appreciate the business.

Guess what? They didn't like it, took them to court and kept it from running ever again.

Ankf00
12-06-11, 01:45 PM
I think Epstein was an idiot if he thought Bernie was going to be a pushover.

IMO, Bernie's more of the fool if he thought he could strongarm unfavorable language into a contract w/ one of the most highly regarded fund managers in the country in order to affect a payout to his friend, granted Bernie doesn't GAF if gp us happens or not, he just wants money, but Epstein doesn't either, it's just another business deal for him as well.

SteveH
12-06-11, 04:21 PM
Look at F1's expansion record over the past few years, Bernie has countries linking up with stupid money to pay his sanction.

How many racing series does Epstein have that will take F1's place?

Bernie doesn't give a **** whether there is a race in TX or not. If his demands aren't met by Epstein, someone else will.

Ankf00
12-06-11, 05:06 PM
that's my point. those countries are willing to pour stupid money into the equation b/c they lust after F1, there's emotion driving that decision.

Epstein doesn't GAF about F1 if the venture's not going to be profitible, nor protected over the length of the contract. His job's turning capital into profit, if this venture isn't going to do it, the capital moves on to something else. The expenditures thus far on the track total what, 10% of the allocated budget? That's a write-off.

In other news, reporteldy Tilke exec Christian Epp had lunch near the track today...

NismoZ
12-07-11, 12:29 PM
For the kind of cash needed to COMPLETE the project and pay the sanction fees etc. couldn't the Gang From Texas INVENT an open wheel race series of, oh I don't know, Cosworth powered turbo Mazdas in a Swift tub on Cooper rubber on a variety of US road and street courses with a few visits to flat miles like Milwaukee?:) They could call it Formula (Super) Atlantic or Championship Auto Racing Teams, or something like that. Fastest road racers this side of Monza and LeMans. Or New Jersey? Maybe not the 1000hp wish but why wouldn't that old twin-turbo LMP1 turbo4 Cossie work? What would be the most appropriate date for a Lone Star Grand Prix? I think Newman/Haas would hit that!:thumbup:

Ankf00
12-07-11, 01:26 PM
Tell you what, you hit up the institutional investor circuit trying to get that trainwreck of 0 value off the ground, rest of us will be watching moto & aussie v8's in person down here.

NismoZ
12-07-11, 06:05 PM
Yeah, the CO the F! A real race car. Finally. Looking forward to the replays.:rofl: Wonder how they'll play in Texas?:thumbup: