PDA

View Full Version : Another police beatdown for your jollies

SurfaceUnits
12-04-11, 02:04 PM
The YouTube video shows the 2009 Preakness. A woman lies bleeding on the ground inside Pimlico Race Course in Maryland after an altercation with police.

http://a57.foxnews.com/video.foxnews.com/thumbnails/120111/640/360/396/223/reporter_kennedy_120111.jpg

“How many times are you going to punch her,” someone yells at the five or so cops, who are holding the woman on the ground.

“Was that necessary?” another person screams.

An officer at the scene can be heard telling bystanders to stop videotaping the incident with their cellphones.

“Turn that off,” he says, claiming it’s “illegal” to tape the police in a public place.

So is it really “illegal?” It’s a question many courts are facing these days with the proliferation of cell cameras and other handheld recording devices.

Chris Sharp was at Pimlico that day and also pressed the record button on his phone. The woman on the ground was a friend of a friend, and Sharp caught the entire confrontation, including what he calls “the beating.”

“The police,” he said recently in Baltimore outside his lawyer’s office, “took her down to the ground and were beating her with her hands around her back after they had subdued her.”

Unlike the YouTube video, Sharp says he caught the initial takedown.

“I got the whole thing,” he said as he paced back and forth in the parking lot behind the headquarters for the Maryland American Civil Liberties Union.

Unfortunately, Sharp said something similar to the police at the scene. “I told them I got it all.”

He says the police then took his camera and erased all the contents, including the video and all his pictures.

“After they took my phone,” he said, “and then gave it back to me, everything was off of it… my personal videos of my son and family and friends.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/01/taking-liberties-iphone-youtube-and-first-amendment/#ixzz1fafKUjeE

WickerBill
12-04-11, 02:23 PM
This "you can't record the police" that's going on everywhere has to go to the supreme court for a nationwide ruling. Technology doesn't sit still, and the old recording device rules intended to prevent wires shouldn't apply to video... If they are only "protecting and serving", there's nothing to hide.

Napoleon
12-04-11, 04:20 PM
It is amazing how long it has taken the American public to wake up to the fact that for years now many police are simply acting like thugs, and its not "a few bad apples".

Every time I read a story like this I think of how Bull Connor and the racist Alabama establishment of 1963 must look up from hell at stuff like this and think "why didn't we think of that".

G.
12-04-11, 04:29 PM
This has GOT to be resolved, with the only possible outcome to ALLOW recording.

Are those film-to-web sites still around?

Ankf00
12-04-11, 04:53 PM
"if you're not doing anything wrong..."

we had our garage spotlighted by a patrol unit driving by a couple months back while unloading groceries. **** 'em.

Ankf00
12-04-11, 04:54 PM
This has GOT to be resolved, with the only possible outcome to ALLOW recording.

Are those film-to-web sites still around?

qik video on iphone. straight upload. think facebook link available too.

**** 'em.

Indy
12-04-11, 07:03 PM
It is amazing how long it has taken the American public to wake up to the fact that for years now many police are simply acting like thugs, and its not "a few bad apples".

Agreed. Down with bullies, especially ones with official license.

High Sided
12-04-11, 07:05 PM
"if you're not doing anything wrong..."

we had our garage spotlighted by a patrol unit driving by a couple months back while unloading groceries. **** 'em.

sounds like they were doing there jobs, maybe a bit over board. would you be saying **** 'em if they stopped your car from being stolen or a break in?

Indy
12-04-11, 07:23 PM
The more I think about this the madder I get. I don't doubt that she was drunk and out of control, or otherwise needed to be detained for some reason. But to abuse her physically like and then have the audacity to violate the rights of witnesses in order to cover it up?

Seriously, if that is my wife or daughter, the favor would be returned. :flame:

nrc
12-05-11, 04:39 AM
In general, I don't think we want to start calling people out in thread titles.

The issue of video recording police and seizure of equipment/recordings definitely needs to be taken to the Supreme Court and resolved. Right now the police record everything while they use old, largely irrelevant laws as an excuse to prevent citizens from doing the same.

That said, those who broadly hate the police should try living without them for a while. Or maybe try doing their job for a while. See how gentle you are with someone resisting arrest when you're at risk of being one of the dozens of officers killed each year or the thousands of officers injured.

cameraman
12-05-11, 09:56 AM
That was a copy of a thread title from Smackforum. Didn't expect it would fly here. If you are looking for some unvarnished hate, that's the thread to read. Except you can't:cry:

SurfaceUnits
12-05-11, 12:27 PM
Whoa, Brickman really is a member in good standing here. Haven't heard from him since before Dan Wheldon sacrificed himself to the three remaining oval fans at tf

Ankf00
12-05-11, 12:34 PM
sounds like they were doing there jobs, maybe a bit over board. would you be saying **** 'em if they stopped your car from being stolen or a break in?

it's a safe neighborhood, he had just finished pulling over a speeder (about 5 diff agencies like to set up shop at the end of our street throughout the week) and had no reason to be spotlighting the far corners of our garage. people in the driveway unloading groceries generally aren't dealing drugs, raping women, abducting boys, or shooting passers by. car thieves generally aren't in shirts and slacks after work with paper bags in both arms, 10 feet away from an approaching police car. we shut the garage in his face and he camped out on our cul de sac for a while. we made dinner and watched football. **** 'em. APD arrests first, questions later, and their percentage of arrestees who are not charged w/ anything being multiples of every other metropolis in the state shows it.

the police bothering with car break ins... you funny.

Don Quixote
12-05-11, 12:58 PM

DUDE
When will you find these guys? I
mean, do you have any promising leads?

The policeman laughs, agreeing broadly.

POLICEMAN
Leads, yeah. I'll just check with
the boys down at the Crime Lab.
They've assigned four more detectives
to the case, got us working in shifts.

Ripped
12-05-11, 01:35 PM
In general, I don't think we want to start calling people out in thread titles.

The issue of video recording police and seizure of equipment/recordings definitely needs to be taken to the Supreme Court and resolved. Right now the police record everything while they use old, largely irrelevant laws as an excuse to prevent citizens from doing the same.

That said, those who broadly hate the police should try living without them for a while. Or maybe try doing their job for a while. See how gentle you are with someone resisting arrest when you're at risk of being one of the dozens of officers killed each year or the thousands of officers injured.

My sentiment exactly. Well said.

chop456
12-05-11, 02:00 PM
Right now the police record everything

Chicago is installing cameras all over the place, London-style. Just not in the squad cars.

Strange, that.

Don Quixote
12-05-11, 02:04 PM
Therefore making it harder and harder to find blind spots to perform beat downs.

Ankf00
12-05-11, 02:24 PM
Chicago is installing cameras all over the place, London-style. Just not in the squad cars.

Strange, that.

Austin's chief has been crying for a few years now about being unable to buy a 2nd helicopter and for lack of cameras all over town. Denver's mayor was able to safely push that through (he's gov now) though.

cameraman
12-05-11, 02:25 PM
it's a safe neighborhood

The #1 method of home burglary in these parts involves backing a car up to the garage door and simply loading up the house. Nothing will get the police's attention quicker around here than loading/unloading your car in front of your garage at night. It isn't just you, I've been spotlighted at my house more than once doing the exact same thing.

High Sided
12-05-11, 02:38 PM
it's a safe neighborhood,

just tryin to think positive. i live on a cul de sac as well. forgot about the parking ticket i got for parking in the wrong direction when i came home for a few minutes to get a bite to eat. yeah, **** 'em;)

NismoZ
12-05-11, 03:12 PM
Uh huh, until you n*** 'em. Fix, don't f***. What's the alternative, that (federal and unionized I suppose?) " ...civilian security force that is as well trained and as well equipped as the military"...that nobody seems to remember from the last campaign? I'm certain you'd all get along just fine with that sort of "protection."

TrueBrit
12-05-11, 04:24 PM
Chicago is installing cameras all over the place, London-style.

Solely for our protection though....:rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
12-07-11, 08:58 PM
If you are on public property you can film or shoot stills of anything you want to. Cops cannot make you stop or confiscate your gear. http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-rights-photographers Of course that does not mean you won't get your ass kicked.

Gnam
12-07-11, 10:11 PM
from the article:
Wheeler is a former Washington, D.C., detective and current police advocate.

“Police officers,” he continued, “do not need citizens out there with cameras videotaping each and every move that they make.”

He says cameras get in the way of good law enforcement.

“They interfere with the arrests and, actually, that's exactly what happened with that arrest in Baltimore.”

Dang. That's quite a statement. I know they are afraid of another 'Rodney King' moment, but who needs a permanent media blackout in order to be effective?

Gnam
12-07-11, 10:14 PM
This article cites a local news report that the girl hit a female police officer and in return the officer struck her in the face.
http://bustedcoverage.com/2010/05/26/anna-chyzhova-is-the-cute-chick-who-had-her-face-rearranged-by-police-at-the-preakness/

Someone claiming to be the girl's father posted the following in the comments section of the original Youtube video:

No first off, we should see where the drunk infield patrons were cussing and spitting at her and her friend. Then when she smacked one the police became involved. The officer was hit accidently in the eye, didn't even see it was a cop. Then the protect and serve kicked in one cop pinned her arms to her sde while another punched 170 lber punched her 3 times full force in the breaking her nose and completely disorienting her. Then this video starts!

Who knows what happened? If only there was a video tape.

SurfaceUnits
12-10-11, 12:49 PM
Arraigned on his wedding day and a month in jail: Terrifying ordeal of man wrongly accused of being 'Brooklyn Groper'
By Daniel Bates
Last updated at 10:57 PM on 9th December 2011

An innocent man has told of a five-month nightmare which 'destroyed my life' after being wrongly accused of being a serial sex attacker.

William Giraldo was threatened with deportation and thrown in the notorious Rikers Island prison in New York when he was mistaken for the 'Brooklyn Groper'.

He was picked out of a lineup, arraigned on his wedding day and spent a month in jail until DNA evidence cleared him.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2072137/Arraigned-wedding-day-month-jail-Terrifying-ordeal-man-wrongly-accused-Brooklyn-Groper.html#ixzz1g9R5vPCx

If he hadn't overstayed his student visa, this wouldn't have happened to him

Methanolandbrats
12-10-11, 01:41 PM
Arraigned on his wedding day and a month in jail: Terrifying ordeal of man wrongly accused of being 'Brooklyn Groper'
By Daniel Bates
Last updated at 10:57 PM on 9th December 2011

An innocent man has told of a five-month nightmare which 'destroyed my life' after being wrongly accused of being a serial sex attacker.

William Giraldo was threatened with deportation and thrown in the notorious Rikers Island prison in New York when he was mistaken for the 'Brooklyn Groper'.

He was picked out of a lineup, arraigned on his wedding day and spent a month in jail until DNA evidence cleared him.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2072137/Arraigned-wedding-day-month-jail-Terrifying-ordeal-man-wrongly-accused-Brooklyn-Groper.html#ixzz1g9R5vPCx

If he hadn't overstayed his student visa, this wouldn't have happened to him

Look at the upside, he got out of jail faster than he would have in Iran :D

Ankf00
12-10-11, 02:33 PM
This article cites a local news report that the girl hit a female police officer and in return the officer struck her in the face.
http://bustedcoverage.com/2010/05/26/anna-chyzhova-is-the-cute-chick-who-had-her-face-rearranged-by-police-at-the-preakness/

Someone claiming to be the girl's father posted the following in the comments section of the original Youtube video:

Who knows what happened? If only there was a video tape.

is the youtube linked in that blog post?

Gnam
12-10-11, 04:55 PM
This one just shows the aftermath of the takedown.

nWF3Ddr7vdc