PDA

View Full Version : Newman-Haas Done

The Doctor
12-01-11, 04:57 PM
Thanks, IRL. :thumdown:

Gnam
12-01-11, 05:02 PM
http://www.newman-haas.com/news2011.php?Statement-from-Newman-Haas-Racing-on-IndyCar-Series-Participation-82

Done, or just done with the IRL?

Update: Sounds like done. :(

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-end-of-the-road-for-newman-haas/

miatanut
12-01-11, 05:37 PM
They were the team I always rooted for. These last couple years I felt they were tarnishing their reputation. I assume they went looking for buyers first and didn't find any. Sad for the people who work there though.

SteveH
12-01-11, 05:46 PM
what happened?

Anteater
12-01-11, 06:01 PM
My favorite team from 2001-2007--they had great people there. :( I didn't think the team would survive the loss of PLN, and am kind of surprised they lasted this long.

Elmo T
12-01-11, 06:30 PM
Sad - but not a surprise. I never felt their heart was in the IRL.

Fio1
12-01-11, 07:37 PM
So sad! :thumdown:

I would have love to seen the team get a proper send off; like Carl Haas lighting up his cigar on the white flag lap of their last race.....:p

BigIrlFan
12-01-11, 07:46 PM
BIg DeALS bUNch of FRuitty CUpperS anyhOWs

SarAH wILL jeSt ruN somE xTra caRS

Chief
12-01-11, 07:51 PM
Haas putting the cigar out on the IRL...I love it. :thumbup:

datachicane
12-01-11, 08:18 PM
Always my favorite, beyond sad. Weird that it bothers me this much, even though I've watched maybe a total of 10 minutes of IRL coverage since '96.

SurfaceUnits
12-01-11, 08:54 PM
BIg DeALS bUNch of FRuitty CUpperS anyhOWs

SarAH wILL jeSt ruN somE xTra caRS

KI bet you got a cigar for SArah don't you

Andrew Longman
12-02-11, 01:11 AM
Sad - but not a surprise. I never felt their heart was in the IRL.Same -- not surprised.

Paul said he "had a problem with the management" and he clearly showed he meant it.

And Haas is old enough to put it aside at this point.

I also can't think of a racing team surviving its founders/owners. They get sold, but that is only the hardware. The racing spirit comes from and stays with the owners.

Of the original CART founders is only Penske left? I don't see his organization really surviving once he gives it up (either figuratively or literally -- don't mean to be insensitive) either.

Spicoli
12-02-11, 04:50 AM
Smart people. now when will the rest get the clue and walk away?

sounds like the handouts are over with nyway, hmm.

SurfaceUnits
12-02-11, 10:09 AM
sounds like the handouts are over with nyway, hmm.

you coulda figured that out when they used frequent flyer miles to get their Vegas contest winner from Hoboken to the track [insertpicofthatravishingbeauty]

Corner5
12-02-11, 11:15 AM
what happened?

Bernie was bankrolling the whole team to try to sell it.
No sponsors and no buyers,done.

Wheel-Nut
12-02-11, 01:14 PM
what happened?

This happened! :eek: This thing is so damn ugly . . .

Napoleon
12-02-11, 01:15 PM
Bernie was bankrolling the whole team to try to sell it.

Who is Bernie?

Ripped
12-02-11, 01:18 PM
Who is Bernie?

Carl's wife.

cameraman
12-02-11, 08:05 PM
His wife is named Bernadette, they aren't taking about Ecclestone:laugh:

High Sided
12-02-11, 11:54 PM
They're back....

"Although Lisles wouldn’t be drawn on where he hopes NHR will reappear, rumors have linked the team to a possible American Le Mans Series program, and John Dagys, SPEED.com’s ace sports car reporter, has been tracking an as-yet unnamed team that is said to be fielding a Honda-powered Lola LMP2 prototype. Could NHR be that team?"

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-newman-haas-moving-ahead-with-streamlined-operation

NismoZ
12-03-11, 12:25 AM
Liked just about every piece of news in that report except the final paragraph. He sure as hell wasn't speaking for THIS fan! Here's hoping they sell ANY and EVERYthing related to that abortion of a pig of a piece of s*** design and never look back! How sweet it'd be to see the N/H logo at Le Mans! Finally, something to look forward to in the off-season besides the birth of the D'Wang!:)

Fio1
12-03-11, 03:04 AM
It is sad to see the end of Newman/Haas racing, but with the death of Paul Newman and Carl Haas's health not being well enough to attend a race in 2010 it wasn't a surprise if a buyer or backer was found. One has to believe that this played a big part of the closing as well.

SurfaceUnits
12-03-11, 11:50 AM
Post #20 guys

Mary
12-05-11, 03:30 PM
I don't know what to think or feel about this. I hated the thought of one of CART's most storied teams in the IRL, but didn't want to see them end up like this.

Mary

TravelGal
12-05-11, 08:22 PM
I don't know what to think or feel about this. I hated the thought of one of CART's most storied teams in the IRL, but didn't want to see them end up like this.

Mary

Completely agree. I wish they'd had the foresight to call it quits when CART/CCWS ended but I could understand their wanting to keep racing. As Anteater said, I really didn't expect them to last this long. But as long as they did, I hate to see them forced to turn out the lights.

manic mechanic
12-06-11, 02:02 AM
If post #20 holds true, they will be welcomed in the ALMS paddock. They will fit in beautifully there, and I feel that their presence will be welcomed, and they will enhance the competiton level in whatever class they enter.

If they continue in the EARL (with "phantom" funding), it will be as tragic as it has been the past few years.

manic

Ziggy
12-06-11, 11:19 AM
Don't forget

They had one of their longest tenured mechanics beat to death during their IRL effort

RIP Davy

Indy
12-06-11, 11:41 AM
Davey Evans. It was in 2008 during May. The guy who killed him was sentenced to 14 years in prison. First time in the IRL and it was a horrible experience for the team. God knows why they didn't throw in the towel right then. Paul Newman would die at the end of that season.

NismoZ
12-06-11, 12:24 PM
Yes...ALMS needs them! I'd rather see a balls out P-1 effort, though. A THREE car race to the checker!;)