PDA

View Full Version : Brazil GP

BarillaGirl
11-23-11, 07:50 AM
Is anyone actually looking forward to this race? I have been clearing off the DVR for a week so there will be space to record everything while I'm back in Ohio visiting my family, so I don't know when I'll get to watch. But I'm looking forward to it.

This includes going to Peter's house and gathering up his airplane building tools, and bringing back one of his cars, so it ought to be sufficiently traumatic. :(

Andrew Longman
11-23-11, 09:41 AM
It has always been one of my favorite tracks. Natural terrain, rivers crossing the track in the rain, fun loving Brazilians, hat vendors -- just for Bernie. :)

And it can produce interesting results.

Good luck with your trip to Ohio.

High Sided
11-26-11, 02:11 PM
yes and no, both because it's the last race of the season then nothing till 2012 :(
kudos to vettel for another stellar record breaking pole running preformace.:thumbup:

hope your weekend is going well and the trip back won't be to traumatic.

RTKar
11-26-11, 05:42 PM
Great track , not so much the surrounding area. It kind of looks like a hell hole.The track beats anything designed today. It doesn't need rain to make the race interesting but it sure would be nice.

cameraman
11-26-11, 11:01 PM
Rain would be the only thing to keep Vettel from leading flag to flag.

gerhard911
11-26-11, 11:17 PM
Rain would be the only thing to keep Vettel from leading flag to flag.

Because he's just that good... /donniebeechler/ :gomer:

cameraman
11-27-11, 03:53 PM
Even with half a gearbox...

Andrew Longman
11-27-11, 04:05 PM
Even with half a gearbox...So just how good is the RB7? With half a gearbox the only guy he can't beat is his teammate?

Vettel is good but how much is the car?

Just want to see opinions, especially since he doesn't seem to do quite as well when he is not in front.

gjc2
11-27-11, 04:21 PM
Even with half a gearbox...

Was the gear box problem a ploy to get away with team orders? Is anyone else suspicious? Will the FIA want to see proof that there was a problem with the transmission?

cameraman
11-27-11, 04:29 PM
Could be Webber's perfect setup is very different from Vettel's so Webber is driving a car that is "unoptimized" for him. But there is no doubt that a huge part of it is due to the car as it was with Newey's other championship winning cars over the years. No doubt that Vettel is very good but I'd wager that Button, Hamilton & Alonso could have had the same results if they had been dropped in that ride.

cameraman
11-27-11, 04:38 PM
Was the gear box problem a ploy to get away with team orders?

Webber seemed awfully subdued...

Indy
11-27-11, 04:58 PM
Was the gear box problem a ploy to get away with team orders? Is anyone else suspicious? Will the FIA want to see proof that there was a problem with the transmission?

For sure. And the SPEED guys were not even remotely suspicious. Hamilton = real gearbox problem. Vettel = good actor.

cameraman
11-27-11, 07:43 PM
From as early as lap five we could see the gearbox oil level starting to drop, and the early predictions were it might get to half distance. We monitored it for a couple of laps and could see a consistent pattern. We informed Sebastian and then started to try and manage the problem by him adjusting his driving style. At that point he had a commanding lead. Mark caught him, Sebastian radioed and said I’ll let him through at Turn One, which obviously he did, which then released Mark to get on with his race, whilst we focussed on trying to manage the problem. Despite running a gear taller in each corner and trying to reduce the amount of shifts, his pace was still very strong. Then it was a matter of managing the gap to Fernando and then Jenson. There must be zero oil left in that gearbox because it literally went off the scale in those last five laps! We were glued to the data and the screen just to see if it was going to make it to the end. It was a very mature and measured drive with strong communication from his engineering team to help him nurse it to the end. Anybody that listened to the conversation between the race engineer or looked in the back of the garage at the amount of activity that was going on over that gearbox – of course there will always be people that have theories, but categorically that gearbox, how on earth it got to the end of the race is beyond me. Thankfully it did. If anyone thinks that was concocted in any way, I can absolutely hand on heart guarantee you that based on the blood pressure on the pit wall you can rest assured it was a genuine issue.

gjc2
11-27-11, 08:04 PM
After reading Horner's statement I'm now sure the transmission issue was bogus.

cameraman
11-27-11, 08:17 PM
Nah, you're not too jaded:laugh:

Spicoli
11-27-11, 09:16 PM
Just finished watching:

Massa needs to hang it up. 100 points behind teammate Alonso? SRSLY?
The RB7 is just that good.
Vettel is even better.
HamTard needs to go to rehab or something. Just stop whinging.
You guys sure dream up some conspiracy theories!
Interlagos beats the crap outta any tilke thing.
Bernie sez Austin needs to sign the agreement and send in a check. :cry:

The IRL still sucks.

gjc2
11-27-11, 09:42 PM
How much oil does the transmission hold? How much does that oil weigh? After taking the checkered flag was Vettle told to be sure to pick up as much “klag” as possible. I have no problem with the team wanting to give Weber a win; I don’t think team orders are necessarily bad.

Napoleon
11-28-11, 06:23 AM
How much oil does the transmission hold?

In lower level racing classes I know you are not filling up the transmission with oil since it is a drag but enough so that the gears get splashed by oil (and perhaps enough of the bearings is in the oil to get lubed). Who knows though, in classes that but a lot more stress on the gearbox and run at higher speeds maybe they run with more just for the heat dissipation.

gjc2
11-28-11, 08:34 PM
. . . . And another thing. Where did the oil go? Was there a spray coming from the car? Was the rear of car covered with oil?

JohnHKart
11-29-11, 01:14 AM
Yes I love this track . Man was it eerie to see a senna in that yellow helmet and in those lotus colors at that track or what???? Just amazing to see it! To be honest I actually enjoy the off season , I joke that winter time is hitler time because I end up watching a lot of military channel and history docs. No time during season . I'm also relieved I can walk in a place that has tvs and not have to worry about spoilers. I typically get caught up on weekend races sun mon and tues.