PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya Paint Shortage

Andrew Longman
11-22-11, 10:50 PM
I have a wonderful 1:12 Tamiya Williams FW14B kit from the kids and am getting around to starting it.

I just tried to find paint for it and there seems to be no Tamiya paint available anywhere. I love their paint for air brushing and have trusted it for decades. And I love it for easy color matches, especially liveries.

Apparently someone drank a bottle of it or there has been some labeling snafu or new regulation or Tsunami related production issue. Whatever.

I figured this was a likely job for the OC crew :D

Any ideas of where I can find Tamiya paints or recommendations to another paint for this application?

Thanks!

BarillaGirl
11-23-11, 01:09 AM
That's...odd. I don't think there *is* a proper substitute for Tamiya paints. Have you checked the modeling news at Kalmbach.com, slash Finescale Modeler? :confused:

cameraman
11-23-11, 01:17 AM
Tamiya ran into some kind of problem with the labeling of their paint and they had to redo the packaging of their entire line. They are pretty much out of stock everywhere in the US but the are supposed to be shipping all new stock to the US this month. It sounds like you'll just have to wait a few weeks.

If you're in a hurry see if you can find a Canadian or if worse comes to worse an Aussie or Kiwi to look for you. The labeling issue is unique to the US govt.

Found this:

Dear Tamiya Customer, Regarding Tamiya paints: We anticipate their re-release before the end of this year. In an effort to maintain the high standards so many of our customers have become accustom to and rely on, Tamiya America, Inc is working diligently to update certain chemical products. A major part of these updates include new or revised labeling to ensure Tamiya America, Inc. is complying with the highest consumer safety standards set by the U.S. government in conjunction with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Thank you, Tamiya America Customer Service

This was posted on November 8 on Tamiya USA's facebook page:

USA Tamiya Fanatics, just wanted to let you know we are receiving paint in our warehouse and it is shipping out. So keep checking your Hobby Shop and let them know paint is on the way!!!

Michaelhatesfans
11-23-11, 01:30 AM
There are a couple of well stocked hobby shops here in the Portland area, I can nose around a bit for you. Let me know what you're after. Within the last few months I bought a jar of Lotus green (or whatever they call it, anyway - it's designed to match the decals in the Lotus kit). I don't remember the rack being empty, but then again I was only looking for the green.:gomer:

Michaelhatesfans
11-23-11, 01:33 AM
Have you tried Hobby Link Japan? I'm pretty sure it's www.hlj.com if memory serves...

Ziggy
11-23-11, 11:07 AM
I ordered it from eBay from an outfit in Japan back last January

I got six cans in April (right before I moved)

I paid eleven dollars a can for it :flame:

right now I am building Danny Ongias's 1981 Interscope

Lance Sellers Resin Cars, check it out (and place an order) His kits are outstanding

Andrew Longman
11-23-11, 11:31 AM
Let me know what you're after...

Thank you very much for the offer but I think I might have found a local source. The TS spray series seems to still be around and while I prefer to airbrush the certain color match of the rattle can may be OK.

Just a pain in general to try to do modelling these days. A shop can't compete with the internet. The nearest hobby shop to me is a 50 min ride one-way. At least it is pretty good. But to make that haul just to pick up a bottle of paint or pack of blades feels stupid. And paying shipping for little stuff over the internet feels stupid too.

And Zig, the Lance Sellers stuff looks great! I've never worked with resin kits but have always wanted to try. That will be a huge distraction for me. I hate you. Happy Thanksgiving

Andrew Longman
11-23-11, 03:39 PM
Community Service Announcement:

I got this from my Red Bank, NJ hobby shop:

We have received confirmation from Tamiya that all of their paints are on a boat enroute to the US and are expecting them in 2-3 weeks.

High Sided
11-23-11, 05:41 PM
now this is some serious model making :thumbup:

3YfTtGCsiD8

cameraman
11-23-11, 06:25 PM
Oh my word...
:eek:

grungex
11-23-11, 06:31 PM
If you are ever in the San Diego area, this place (http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/) is a must-visit.

Andrew Longman
11-23-11, 07:10 PM
Oh my word...
:eek:I'll see your V12 and raise you an entire Ferrari 312PB

QDZICiGmDxs

gjc2
11-23-11, 08:32 PM
now this is some serious model making

I didn't notice an ignition system

High Sided
11-23-11, 08:40 PM
I didn't notice an ignition system

lol, yeah i was hoping for tiny spark plugs to appear in the video.

Andrew Longman
11-23-11, 11:18 PM
lol, yeah i was hoping for tiny spark plugs to appear in the video.IIRC it runs on compressed air. The Ferrari on the other hand...:gomer:

As a kid I always dreamed of building something like these. I lacked the money. Now I like the time. Someday I may have both but time, wear and tear will mean my hands shake too much to do it -- as if I ever really had the skill.

For now I'll be happy with a flawless FW14B to add to my modest collection.

High Sided
11-24-11, 05:08 AM
The Ferrari on the other hand...:gomer:

simply beautiful. this site lists it and many other working model engines...
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/memuseum1.htm
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/images/Scerri01.jpg

gjc2
11-24-11, 01:17 PM
IIRC it runs on compressed air.

I should have realized that. That exhaust did sound like there was combustion.

When I was in high school one of the shop teachers had made a working steam engine. He fabricated all the pieces himself. It had a working boiler but for demonstration purposes he ran it on compressed air.

Michaelhatesfans
11-25-11, 12:01 AM
Lance Sellers Resin Cars, check it out (and place an order) His kits are outstanding

And hit indycals.net for some bad ass aftermarket decals for your old CART/Indy kits (including the Tamiya Lola)

http://www.indycals.net/images/decal_images/med/93budweiserlola.jpg

http://www.indycals.net/images/decal_images/med/98teamkoolgreen.jpg

http://www.indycals.net/images/decal_images/med/87hannalola.jpg