PDA

View Full Version : Wishlist for a road-race chassis.

ChrisB
06-19-03, 12:06 PM
There's been some news lately (Fontana, Pollock, etc) indicating that CART might become a road-racing series, or at least something *very* close to it. Due to CART's past tendencies toward indecision, the current chassis are still mostly big, fat remnants of when they were built for the Indy 500. They need not be that anymore. The real key to CART's success as a road-racing series may lie as much (if not more) in the chassis as well as the engine.

As for the engine, something that makes 750+hp with a good wide torque range will do. It could be the 2.65L turbo V8, or 3.5L V10, or the 3.5L V8 IRL-variant they almost did, or even a turbo/super-charged I4 or V6. The manufacturers will ultimately decide.

We've focused so much on the engines in these fourms, but the real key may be not so much the engine, but maybe the chassis... what do they need?

Less weight ...More nimble. Probably lose 100-150lbs and be safe for concrete street walls.
Shorter wheelbase...Better turning. Get away from this 120+" stuff and get to under 105"
17gal gas tank...same range as 35gal methanol... less weight and allows shorter wheelbase.
More undertray...so not much grip is lost when trailing close behind trying to overtake
Fatter tires...same thing, tire mechanical grip is not as suspect to aero losses
No airboxes...keep the sleek look.
Cut costs...no need for a superspeedway package, or fighter-jet steering-wheel displays.

The first generation of this new chassis ('05, '06, ???) should probably even be a single supplier spec, also to keep costs down. Anyone wanna add anything else?

racer2c
06-19-03, 12:12 PM
Bravo! Let's do it!

Just our of curiosity, is there a benefit to a flat bottom formula car other than reduced engineering costs?

chop456
06-19-03, 12:21 PM
Road racing wish list?

Road America and Mid-Ohio.

Let's not put the CART before the horse, so to speak. I couldn't care less if they use F1 cars, I have no desire to watch a street racing series.

Peter Olivola
06-23-03, 11:45 PM
I'm not so sure overall costs are less. Engineering cost savings are probably offset by the additional cost of write-offs due to the problems caused by flat bottom cars having such a kife-edge set up envelope.

Originally posted by racer2c
Bravo! Let's do it!

Just our of curiosity, is there a benefit to a flat bottom formula car other than reduced engineering costs?

RTKar
06-23-03, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by chop456
Road racing wish list?

Road America and Mid-Ohio.

Let's not put the CART before the horse, so to speak. I couldn't care less if they use F1 cars, I have no desire to watch a street racing series.

Yup, not every week... I don't care how big the party is. Come to think of it, how many people were at Laguna and Portland compared to Milw on a chilly night to boot? We may not be the trendiest fans, but we are some of the most faithful.

Mike Kellner
06-24-03, 10:11 AM
I don't think there is any way to reduce costs except the Tony George method of running off the rich teams and replacing them with pennyless wankers. Don't worry about costs. All teams spend every penny they can lay their hands on. Instead, work on making the teams prosperous and the cars will seem less expensive.

I think the rest of the ideas are sound, except that you are not calling for enough weight reduction. The cars need the controls & displays on the wheel. The cockpits are too small to see the dash. It also keeps the drivers hands on the wheel. I hope they go to a paddle or button shift system as in F1.

I would keep the 35 galon tank or increase it to 40 with gas, and ditch fuel limits, so there could be fuel strategy. I want people to be guessing how much fuel is in the car and have options. They need to reduce the time cost to get in and out of the pits so people are more willing to stop. Higher or no speed limit in the pits for green flag stops. No closed pits. The current huge return lanes with 12 mph speed limits are stupid. Milwaukee used to have pit in & out at the ends of the front straight. It worked fine. It's auto racing, it's dangerous, get used to it.

My wish list for a road racing series....

Standing starts. Longer straights, with designed in passing areas at the end. Fewer chicanes. 1200 lb cars/1000 HP motors. Reverse gear. Onboard starters.

cart7
06-24-03, 12:35 PM
I like the above idea's. I'm also wondering if the new F1, 1 lap qualifying approach wouldn't be better. I like they're, lock up the cars till the race format. It really makes qualifying a part of the race. How you approach the qualification run directly effects you're race set-up and strategy. Has everyone guessing on your fuel stategies, downforce settings, etc.