PDA

View Full Version : Fred Nation

Spicoli
11-09-11, 02:27 PM
lost in his bid to be Mayor of Terre Haute, Indianer.

Ed_Severson
11-09-11, 03:14 PM
Split was 69/31, or in that neighborhood. Sounds like he got his doors blown off.

Napoleon
11-09-11, 03:36 PM
Split was 69/31, or in that neighborhood. Sounds like he got his doors blown off.

He was running against an incumbent as a Dem and although I do not know much about that city the state heavily liens Rep. so I would guess a mid size town in the state does as well (heck, 4 of the last 5 Indy mayors have been Rep, and that is a much larger town), so Fred likely had a huge uphill climb to be even competitive. Pretty much in races like that you have to hope your opponent commits political suicide in order to have a fighting chance.

Edit - so I go back and read a story I pulled up and it says the current mayor is the first Rep mayor there in 35 years, so maybe Fred thought it wasn't such a long shot afterall.

SteveH
11-09-11, 03:59 PM
The Power of Indy, that sacred yard o' bricks reaches far and wide. :gomer:

Spicoli
11-09-11, 04:30 PM
He was running against an incumbent as a Dem and although I do not know much about that city the state heavily liens Rep. so I would guess a mid size town in the state does as well (heck, 4 of the last 5 Indy mayors have been Rep, and that is a much larger town), so Fred likely had a huge uphill climb to be even competitive. Pretty much in races like that you have to hope your opponent commits political suicide in order to have a fighting chance.

Edit - so I go back and read a story I pulled up and it says the current mayor is the first Rep mayor there in 35 years, so maybe Fred thought it wasn't such a long shot afterall.

Pull up a stool.

This actually surprised me as before his hapless stint with the hapless IRL he was spokesperson for ever popular 2 term governor and 2 term senator, Evan Bayh. Bayh even came back and campaigned for him. Terre Haute is traditionally a strong Democratic voting town, or at least it used to be. Heavy union presence has been replaced with very low wage jobs, few opportunities for those citizens with little education (you could say that about most Midwestern towns) and a general feeling of mistrust of government and politicians. When you personal pocketbook gets light, you conserve, and that is what these voters want in their civic leaders. Dems are still seen as tax and spenders, Repubicans as those who lower taxes and balance the books. For this election to go this far right is amazing, and should tell many candidates what the people want and demand from candidates. People are scared, and when they are, they vote conservative. Even Indianapolis retained it's hapless bumbling mayor, even though he was an R in a D town, and even though his opponent raised a lot more money than him. Conservativism is what people are voting this year, and I am not sure that will change until the economy does.

Fred should have smoked this guy. But this is good. Maybe he can be the savior of the IRL?:tony:

Ripped
11-09-11, 04:44 PM
Pull up a stool.

This actually surprised me as before his hapless stint with the hapless IRL he was spokesperson for ever popular 2 term governor and 2 term senator, Evan Bayh. Bayh even came back and campaigned for him. Terre Haute is traditionally a strong Democratic voting town, or at least it used to be. Heavy union presence has been replaced with very low wage jobs, few opportunities for those citizens with little education (you could say that about most Midwestern towns) and a general feeling of mistrust of government and politicians. When you personal pocketbook gets light, you conserve, and that is what these voters want in their civic leaders. Dems are still seen as tax and spenders, Repubicans as those who lower taxes and balance the books. For this election to go this far right is amazing, and should tell many candidates what the people want and demand from candidates. People are scared, and when they are, they vote conservative. Even Indianapolis retained it's hapless bumbling mayor, even though he was an R in a D town, and even though his opponent raised a lot more money than him. Conservativism is what people are voting this year, and I am not sure that will change until the economy does.

Fred should have smoked this guy. But this is good. Maybe he can be the savior of the IRL?:tony:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Who stole Spiky's password?!?!?! WTF?

Spicoli
11-09-11, 05:22 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Who stole Spiky's password?!?!?! WTF?

I am talking about the reality of the situation, not ideals. Things are crazy in politics right now, and the pendulum is swinging wide. Looks at Ohio - they elect John Kasich governor (i was floored by that) and then they voted that referendum last night. People are freaked out. See the dow today?

I am still a D, so don't get your panties all moist dood. :D

Ripped
11-09-11, 05:34 PM
I am talking about the reality of the situation, not ideals. Things are crazy in politics right now, and the pendulum is swinging wide. Looks at Ohio - they elect John Kasich governor (i was floored by that) and then they voted that referendum last night. People are freaked out. See the dow today?

I am still a D, so don't get your panties all moist dood. :D

So you won't vote for My Man Mitch next time then?? :D:D

cameraman
11-09-11, 06:37 PM
For the next year or so every time someone sneezes in Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal or Ireland the Dow will drop like a stone. Best get used to it.:rolleyes:

Ankf00
11-09-11, 07:05 PM
PIIGS taste better after they bleed out and are cured.

Spicoli
11-09-11, 09:49 PM
So you won't vote for My Man Mitch next time then?? :D:D

Lil Mitchy is done. 2 term limit.

Ripped
11-09-11, 11:24 PM
Lil Mitchy is done. 2 term limit.

I'm talkin' PREZEDINTEAL my friend!! 2016!!!! :rofl::rofl:

Indy
11-09-11, 11:58 PM
I'm talkin' PREZEDINTEAL my friend!! 2016!!!! :rofl::rofl:

Stop it. You are scaring the kids. :eek:

WickerBill
11-10-11, 08:20 AM

*clap* *clap*

Ed_Severson
11-10-11, 10:57 AM
*clap* *clap*

*bows*

I'm glad somebody got a laugh out of it. A cheap joke, for sure, but I never imagined I'd see Spicoli pound out two completely coherent posts before someone recognized it for what it was. :gomer:

WickerBill
11-10-11, 11:02 AM
I'm glad somebody got a laugh out of it.

I giggled like the fourth grader I really am.

Ziggy
11-10-11, 11:29 AM
Heavy union presence has been replaced with very low wage jobs, few opportunities for those citizens with little education

and watch them try to pass the right to work bill again........ which only makes big business stronger.

SurfaceUnits
11-10-11, 11:34 AM
Heavy union presence has been replaced with very low wage jobs, few opportunities for those citizens with little education

and watch them try to pass the right to work bill again........ which only makes big business stronger.

when did they pass a law that says you don't have a right to work without union slave masters garnishing your wages for their winter retreats to boca raton

Indy
11-11-11, 09:13 AM
"union slave masters" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

datachicane
11-11-11, 12:39 PM
"union slave masters" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, 'cuz management would never think of taking advantage of their workers (or taking retreats in Boca Raton- might buy a vacation house there, but never a retreat).

:laugh:

SurfaceUnits
11-11-11, 06:29 PM
work for your own damn self,,,,**** the middle man

aportinga
11-11-11, 10:23 PM
For the next year or so every time someone sneezes in Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal or Ireland the Dow will drop like a stone. Best get used to it.:rolleyes:

Works for me, I pulled out of stocks 2 months ago - including 401k and IRA. Welcome to complete control of my financial future:thumbup:

Things are less crazy in futures, gold and even some property is worth investing.

I know some clowns are going nuts over penny stocks - whatever....

All I know is that I will never have myself in a position to not bolt out of the market when the **** hits the fan again - 5% matching or not, it's just not worth it. Better off doubling down in Vegas.

Spicoli
11-11-11, 11:33 PM
if i had a million dollars, and i was under 90 - no ****ing way i wood move to boca barf raton.

srsly? you typed that?:tony:

SurfaceUnits
11-12-11, 11:45 AM
if i had a million dollars, and i was under 90 - no ****ing way i wood move to boca barf raton.

srsly? you typed that?:tony:

FAU cheerleaders are hawt

Spicoli
11-12-11, 01:38 PM
FAU cheerleaders are hawt

at my age, all cheerleaders (female only) are hawt. :thumbup: