View Full Version : You know what?

Lux Interior
11-01-11, 09:48 PM
I miss Bobby Doorknobs:(

bsR2lyzZu6k

fsGq7KSMI9E&feature=related

Indy
11-01-11, 10:15 PM
Lux, I miss the whole thing. Is smack back? I think I need some more hate.

Chief
11-01-11, 10:16 PM
Gumby gets air at Toronto...but car doesn't fly...DP-01...

BwSvqkl1S_I

racer2c
11-01-11, 10:16 PM
I'd almost forgotten what a proper race car the dp01 was. Remember when kalkovan was the head of champ car? Now he's a muted owner of an irl team. Strange world.

SteveH
11-01-11, 10:28 PM
I'd almost forgotten what a proper race car the dp01 was. Remember when kalkovan was the head of champ car? Now he's a muted owner of an irl team. Strange world.

And this doofus (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/indycar/columns/story?columnist=blount_terry&id=4866815) is just another guy on the street.

Ripped
11-01-11, 10:55 PM
Gumby gets air at Toronto...but car doesn't fly...DP-01...

BwSvqkl1S_I

That was spec racing. Spec racing sucks. JMHO.

Chief
11-01-11, 11:05 PM
Perhaps, but it's light years ahead of the crap passed off as racing today by the IRL.

Ripped
11-01-11, 11:13 PM
Perhaps, but it's light years ahead of the crap passed off as racing today by the IRL.

I dunno Chief. Spec racing just sucks. I'm not so sure there is a better or worse form of it. I won't settle.

Spicoli
11-01-11, 11:18 PM
where's my Smack? :flame:

it just ain't the same hatin in the nrc library, yo.

Trevor Longman
11-02-11, 12:34 AM
Sure it was a spec series, but theres no denying those were pretty cars.

emjaya
11-02-11, 07:20 AM

Did they have a choice?

Indy
11-02-11, 08:07 AM
Did they have a choice?

They always had a choice: publish the rulebook and let it happen.

It all went to hell when it got down to sanctioning bodies begging for participants to justify their continued existence. So they had to provide various incentives and services to the teams, including cheating (in essence) to level the playing field, lower costs, and make bad pay drivers look decent. Thus the champcrapwagon.

And why were the sanctioning bodies desperate? Thank the Hulman-George crime syndicate for that. The opportunity for the money grubbing scum who were team owners to play the series off against each other meant a race to the bottom.

racer2c
11-02-11, 08:25 AM
The post 9/11 economy did nothing to help autoracing. A factor that can not be ignored.

Lux Interior
11-02-11, 01:19 PM
I like this: http://gt1world.com/gt1tv

Not spec racing - pretty decent actually.

Trevor Longman
11-02-11, 01:32 PM
And it will be all but gone next year. I agree the racing was great but it was destined for failure when all the homologation on all the eligible cars ran out

miatanut
11-02-11, 06:11 PM
The post 9/11 economy did nothing to help autoracing. A factor that can not be ignored.
NASCAR had several years of good growth following 9/11 and F1 has done just fine.

In the US, sportscar racing has stumbled though.

Oh, and sportscar racing has had two competing series with different "visions" splitting the fanbase, with one subsidized by a rich family but hardly any fans come to the races, and the other that has fans in the stands but struggles to put a proper grid together.

Sound familiar?

So, maybe the problem is the split, not the post 9/11 economy.

racer2c
11-02-11, 06:20 PM
NASCAR had several years of good growth following 9/11 and F1 has done just fine.

In the US, sportscar racing has stumbled though.

Oh, and sportscar racing has had two competing series with different "visions" splitting the fanbase, with one subsidized by a rich family but hardly any fans come to the races, and the other that has fans in the stands but struggles to put a proper grid together.

Sound familiar?

So, maybe the problem is the split, not the post 9/11 economy.

What an idiotic comparison. A niche series on life support compared to NASCAR and F1! :rofl:

Crawl out from under your rock.

emjaya
11-02-11, 07:55 PM
They always had a choice: publish the rulebook and let it happen.

It all went to hell when it got down to sanctioning bodies begging for participants to justify their continued existence. So they had to provide various incentives and services to the teams, including cheating (in essence) to level the playing field, lower costs, and make bad pay drivers look decent. Thus the champcrapwagon.

And why were the sanctioning bodies desperate? Thank the Hulman-George crime syndicate for that. The opportunity for the money grubbing scum who were team owners to play the series off against each other meant a race to the bottom.

You can publish all the rule books you want, but if no-one wants to build a car to suit your rules, then what do you do?

stroker
11-02-11, 09:11 PM
You can publish all the rule books you want, but if no-one wants to build a car to suit your rules, then what do you do?

Admit you're a failure and do something else for a living.

Ziggy
11-02-11, 11:02 PM
I have no comment other than this forum is full of needle dicks, who for the most part are more concerned with what they know than what is right for open wheel racing

"I sniffed this guys dick who worked for team X"

Politics suck, Race Cars Rule

Z

racer2c
11-02-11, 11:13 PM
I have no comment other than this forum is full of needle dicks, who for the most part are more concerned with what they know than what is right for open wheel racing

Z

:thumbup:

Indy
11-03-11, 12:37 AM
Know-it-alls unite.

I like stroker's comment.

SurfaceUnits
11-04-11, 10:58 AM

Z

Thank you for your social commentary Ginger. We look forward to hearing your spring fashion choices.

Anteater
11-04-11, 12:16 PM
I miss Bobby Doorknobs:(

I miss Bobby D. too (along with a whole slew of other things related to Champ Car). I picked him as my new favorite driver at Spring Training in '07, and he rewarded my loyalty with good finishes and amusing moments. :)

Mary
11-05-11, 09:22 PM
http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/race/us-scene/indycar/rockingham-relives-champ-car-days/

Mary

SteveH
11-05-11, 10:23 PM
10 years already

shakes head in disgust

Lux Interior
11-05-11, 10:26 PM
http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/race/us-scene/indycar/rockingham-relives-champ-car-days/

Mary

Great article. Of course, if it were crapwagons running there the fans and author both would have been severely underwhelmed. This may sound like a joke. Sadly, it is true. Thanks again IMS/HG group. :thumdown:

opinionated ow
11-05-11, 10:33 PM

Mary

Awesome! When I become dictator, that track is on the schedule.

racer2c
11-06-11, 10:53 AM
10 years already

shakes head in disgust

No doubt! :eek:

Ziggy
11-09-11, 10:25 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but just over 10 short years ago (in the mid-IRL days), teams could buy engines for less than half of the current lease. Correct?Yes, but the lease was for a guaranteed-competitive engine for the season (or for Indy), while the engine was just an engine Not exactly equivalent.

:tony::tony::tony::tony::tony::tony::tony::tony:

SurfaceUnits
11-09-11, 02:23 PM
it is no small coincidence that oldsmobile went out of business shortly after that

High Sided
11-09-11, 06:14 PM
article from 1999 gateway manufacturers forum, to bad things didn't pan out back then.
http://www.champcar.com/interviews/sc_i0602_99.html

Chief
11-09-11, 09:21 PM
Helio was a kiss ass....then..... Dude wouldn't even have a job if....:(

trauma1
11-09-11, 10:10 PM
the drivers then and now if they slam the league they are likley to looose thier rides, most are chicken s****t, same with the owners,> any one notice that after they drivers meeting now one is saying **** about the league or the car, sounds like the new Dalllarradart is about as bad as the old car, went from a crapwagon to a cow chip wagon:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Chief
11-10-11, 11:30 AM
I call it the gag order...all the media and drivers etc are in cahoots under Randy's leadership. He's worked hard to keep it all covered up, but the more they try the more they can't hide the man behind the curtain.

I like that CART veterans are involved with the new car now...this may be the first significant "merge" since 2008. Why they didn't do this before, from the beginning, is typical gomertardia.

SurfaceUnits
11-10-11, 11:43 AM
git yer bidds in

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-INDY-CAR-SERIES-LAS-VEGAS-CARBON-FIBER-RACE-CRASH-WRECKAGE-/310356894386?pt=US_Racing_Fan_Shop&hash=item4842b662b2

Chief
11-10-11, 11:49 AM
git yer bidds in

"~ RARE CARBON FIBER WRECKAGE ~

FROM 15-CAR FATAL CRASH!!!"

Appalling...speechless...tasteless. :flame:

Ferdman
11-10-11, 12:53 PM

Mary

From the interview of the driver in that video, "..proper indycar on a proper oval."

High Sided
11-10-11, 07:45 PM
From the interview of the driver in that video, "..proper indycar on a proper oval."

and notice the huge ear to ear grin on his face exiting the car :D

Indy
11-11-11, 09:21 AM
That was brilliant.

Thanks, Tony.

SurfaceUnits
11-17-11, 05:05 AM
The IRl's new race trackin India

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/11/15/AP111115125317_540x405.jpg

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-202_162-10010248-7.html#ixzz1dx3iLiIf

Spicoli
11-17-11, 09:42 AM
"~ RARE CARBON FIBER WRECKAGE ~

FROM 15-CAR FATAL CRASH!!!"

Appalling...speechless...tasteless. :flame:

How do you think Rosco made his millions!?

Mary
11-17-11, 07:57 PM
The IRl's new race trackin India

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/11/15/AP111115125317_540x405.jpg

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-202_162-10010248-7.html#ixzz1dx3iLiIf

From what I read here, the crowd wouldn't be that large.

Mary

SurfaceUnits
11-18-11, 08:57 AM
paddocktalk.com's IRL forum is gone gangbusters,,,3 threads and 4 posts in the last 3 months...I got banded from there 3 years ago for posting a pic of the empty grandstands at some earl event,,,they didn't bother with a 2011 Indy pick 3,,,the 2010 thread is still a sticky

G.
11-18-11, 09:45 AM
paddocktalk.com's IRL forum is gone gangbusters,,,3 threads and 4 posts in the last 3 months...I got banded from there 3 years ago for posting a pic of the empty grandstands at some earl event,,,they didn't bother with a 2011 Indy pick 3,,,the 2010 thread is still a sticky

I can try to flame out over there in your honor, if you'd like. :)

Welcome, G..
You last visited: 04-24-2008 at 07:06 PM

Who runs that one? I thought payper was involved. (I know I don't have to do that here. I want to.)

SurfaceUnits
11-18-11, 10:17 AM
Who runs that one? Some morAn who thought the Vigo county clan would get it right this time around.

2 posts in the IRL500 thread :chuckle: :chuckle:

Ripped
11-18-11, 10:52 AM
I haven't been to paddocktalk in ages. I didn't even know it still existed.

SurfaceUnits
11-19-11, 02:59 PM
I haven't been to paddocktalk in ages. I didn't even know it still existed.

you aren't alone,,,,,the last post in the IRL forum was 2 1/2 months ago

"We're against the idea of teams leasing engines and not being allowed to take them apart," said Leo Mehl, irl executive director. "We don't call that a level playing field."

Spicoli
11-20-11, 08:28 AM
So why didn't Randy barnyard quit/get fired whatever? The irl has failed completely under his watch. He's been drinking the koolaid fer sure, but what about his comments? I can only draw the conclusion that:

Dan Weldon graters, rating go above his stated benchmark, therefore, dan is murdered, so Randall benefits and keeps his job? The race wood know have had the higher ratings without the senseless death of Weldon, right?

Yes I am being a dick about it irl fans, but how do you argue that Randall Banryard does not have blood on his hands?

SurfaceUnits
11-20-11, 02:02 PM
gomers are on your side spicoli

The sooner Bernard returns to PBR or elsewhere the better for indycar. Hulman George's made a mess employing him. Time to clean it up and move on.

Do differently?? where to begin. I'm all for letting Bernard go ASAP.

this is what his replacement could do differently. not put 34 cars with a bunch of rookies on the high speed oval at vegas. the guy should have been fired right there and then.

I would like to see Indy Car up there with F1. Sadly having watched closely for two years now Randy isn't the right man for the job. I honestly don't agree that he has taken the sport in the right direction, and can't see that he has any idea how to fix Indy Car. Just my two cents.

In 2 years Randy Bernard has made more mistakes, miscalculations and misjudgments than probably any CEO in their career in professional sports. Las Vegas was the icing on the cake.

Brian Barnhart has made more mistakes, miscalculations and misjudgments than probably any chief steward in the history of motor racing. But he also remains.

Bernard and Barnhart should have been fired long ago. The root of the problem is Mari George and her daughters's who by keeping these clowns on and managing the series the way they do, have annihilated all credibility in a once proud and dominant American sport.

"Remove the George's save IndyCar"

I was not a fan of Tony and i don't get the hero worship of Randy. He really has done nothing although the insiders of track forum think he is the second coming. I won't be surprised when Randy gets the boot since nothing about American open wheel surprises me anymore since it is all but dead.

and then there is,,,

As a long time INDYCAR fan, I am not saying Fire Bernard. In fact, I would say that he has done more to generate interest in the sport than the previous administration. When was the last time INDYCAR had a positive direction? The only complaints that I hear are from those who want INDYCAR to be a small exclusive club. I for one feel that Bernard has the sport headed in the right direction.

Randy has done a remarkable job in getting the brand name out, generating more interest and media than the previous 10 years, and portrays someone genuinely interested in what the fans have to say.

Wheldon's death was not Randy Bernard's fault. The IRL Indycar formula of pack racing was created by the great Tony George and Brian Barnhart after aligning themselves with NASCRAP.