PDA

View Full Version : Snow already?

trish
10-29-11, 02:48 PM
At least here in Fairfield County CT and I believe NY City too. We may get about 4 inches when it's all done. This is the wet, heavy back breaking type of snow. There are trees already down. After the last storm we had (Irene?) I'm sure many people are not looking forward to more power outages. This storm might be a record for our area.

TravelGal
10-29-11, 02:56 PM
My friend from Northern NJ posted on FB that they're expecting 5-6 inches. To which I responded with all the "warmth" I could muster as a southern Californian who was (truthfully) wondering if I should wear a long sleeved blouse today or if it would be too warm.

Seriously, sorry to hear it could be a difficult snowfall. Light and fluffy, the type that's fun to watch and then goes away, that's what we like now that we're not dragging sleds out into it.

trish
10-29-11, 03:00 PM
I'm taking a sewing class, and one of the young ladies wore flip flops today. I felt really bad for her.

Andrew Longman
10-29-11, 03:55 PM
About 6" so far. Should keep snowing until about 8 -- they say.

Branches down all over the place, including a big one in the front yard.

Rutgers hosting WV in a real mess. Trevor and I were thinking of going but much more cumfy at home.

Ankf00
10-29-11, 04:25 PM
That Turnpikes game might as well be in the Continental airlines arena

KLang
10-29-11, 04:31 PM
Enjoy your climate change. :thumbup: :)

Ziggy
10-29-11, 05:25 PM
Just bought a snow blower today, seeing how I moved out to the farm I have a 1065 foot concrete driveway :eek:

Elmo T
10-29-11, 07:50 PM
About 6" so far. Should keep snowing until about 8 -- they say.

Branches down all over the place, including a big one in the front yard.

Trees here taking a beating. We have about 8 inches and it is wet. Just came in from a snow blower run - all you hear is the sound of trees coming down. And now the wind is picking up.

Power was off most of the day - back up for the moment.

Kids trick-or-treating by dog sled this year I guess.

RusH
10-29-11, 08:15 PM
damn you Al Gore,,just damn you!!!:gomer:

cameraman
10-29-11, 09:13 PM
Absolutely nothing going on out here in the Great Basin.
We just managed our first frost of the season...

Dvdb
10-30-11, 01:46 AM
Balmy 62 in St. Louis today.............forecast for the same tomorrow.

Talk to us in January when it is our turn to get hammered

nissan gtp
10-30-11, 10:10 AM
31 last night, had a little skim of ice no the birdbath

Elmo T
10-30-11, 10:29 AM
Power was back late last night, but still 300K without power in the region.

Everything is a sheet of ice this AM, but the snow is melting from the trees. Not sure what will be left of the them later though!

A shot of my very sad pear tree this AM:

http://i44.tinypic.com/v4wef8.jpg

Napoleon
10-30-11, 12:13 PM
A shot of my very sad pear tree this AM:

You know, absolutely everything you post I hear in the voice of Elmo from Sesame Street.

Elmo T
10-30-11, 05:04 PM
You know, absolutely everything you post I hear in the voice of Elmo from Sesame Street.

:rofl:

Crazy thing is the horrible middle school nickname was not THAT Elmo!

stroker
10-30-11, 07:00 PM
Anyone here near Rochester, NY? SWMBO has been trying to contact her friend there with no response... She's worrying.

Hot Rod Otis
10-30-11, 07:11 PM
Live in Rochester. Nothing weather wise going on here.

Napoleon
10-31-11, 10:05 AM

Ah, I have wondered where the name came from.

dando
10-31-11, 10:19 AM

http://www.sesamestreetelmostore.com/amazonelmo/elmofiremanChristmas.jpg

:D

-Kevin

Anteater
11-01-11, 04:27 PM
I was in Palm Springs over the weekend; it was 90 degrees there [turns and runs].

Seriously, that is not fair, having a storm like that so early! Hope everyone is OK.

Mr. Vengeance
11-01-11, 04:48 PM
Bring it!

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7883/hpim0983.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/444/hpim0983.jpg/)

trish
11-03-11, 08:15 PM
Almost a week later and we still have many people without power.

CL&P Outage Map (http://outage.cl-p.com/outage/outagemap.aspx)

I couldn't find anything about United Illuminating customers.

Andrew Longman
11-03-11, 10:16 PM
Same here. We never lost power but Melissa has a friend sleeping over tonight because she is without power. My sister in law's family was here for several days. Trevor's workplace is still out of power.

Maddeningly I spoke to someone tonight who drove this afternoon from Believer, NJ to Allentown, PA (about 35 miles) and he counted 32 power bucket trucks from as far away as Ohio just sitting, doing nothing -- often at a Dunkin Donuts or something. He didn't see a single repair truck actually doing repairs.

People are just about at whits end regardless of whether the repair efforts are being handled well or not. Especially since this is the third outage this fall.

trish
11-03-11, 10:25 PM
Same here. We never lost power but Melissa has a friend sleeping over tonight because she is without power. My sister in law's family was here for several days. Trevor's workplace is still out of power.

Maddeningly I spoke to someone tonight who drove this afternoon from Believer, NJ to Allentown, PA (about 35 miles) and he counted 32 power bucket trucks from as far away as Ohio just sitting, doing nothing -- often at a Dunkin Donuts or something. He didn't see a single repair truck actually doing repairs.

People are just about at whits end regardless of whether the repair efforts are being handled well or not. Especially since this is the third outage this fall.Regarding the linemen, they are probably on standby until the tree guys do their work.

racer2c
11-03-11, 10:27 PM
Suckers.:D

Andrew Longman
11-04-11, 09:30 AM
Regarding the linemen, they are probably on standby until the tree guys do their work.Maybe.

It hard to come up with something that would explain why NONE of them were working along a 35 mile stretch. -- Lunch break?

I've known guys who do this work and they worked long hard hours. It it hardly safe work. And bringing a grid up is a bit more complicated than stringing Christmas tree lights.

But nerves are getting pretty raw.

Napoleon
11-04-11, 10:20 AM
Maybe.

Since the reason you have so many out of town utility guys is because every utility has slashed their own crews and now have to rely on renting (I assume they rent them) other utility crews pretty much guarantees you that if your utility could have them out working they would. I can not imagine that they are not paying them to sit there.

Elmo T
11-04-11, 11:08 AM
I know the PP&L parts of Bucks County are still having service restored in areas. There were still a few schools closed on Wednesday.

We had crews here from Michigan after the hurricane and they were working very long days.

After the initial debris removal, I don't think throwing more people at the problem necessarily makes it better. And I think a lot of these crews are assigned trucks, so they may be "off duty" too.

Napoleon
11-15-11, 01:51 PM

By the way, this is the "real" Elmo:

http://beingelmo.com/trailer.html

Back on subject we had snow cover on the ground last weekend.

Andrew Longman
11-15-11, 09:30 PM
By the way, this is the "real" Elmo:

http://beingelmo.com/trailer.html

Back on subject we had snow cover on the ground last weekend.Maybe it is just my mood tonight, but that looks SOOOO cool.

aportinga
11-16-11, 12:35 PM
Spici will enjoy this... I must have watched it 20 times already!

http://www.skinet.com/warrenmiller/

Napoleon
11-16-11, 01:16 PM
Maybe it is just my mood tonight, but that looks SOOOO cool.

Talk about a fun job to have. Plus he managed to do exactly what he set out to do in a field where a couple of people could likely count on their hands and toes the number of people gainfully employed in the field. There have likely been as many working astronauts over his career as puppeteers.

I heard an interview with that guy a few years ago and saw him on The Daily Show in the last month, and he seems like the ultimate nice guy, so I am sure he would never do or say this, but you kind of wonder if he ever runs into any of his school classmates who said that he played with dolls and wants to have a conversation like this:

“Joe, remember me, Kevin Clash, the kid who played with dolls? Just wondering, how is it going at your job at the Jiffy Lube?”

BigIrlFan
11-16-11, 02:02 PM
ANd just waht int he hell is wrong with workin at JIFfy LUbes? HUh? YOu dammed CARt strret loosers all thinging your so gul durned importent. WEll HElls BELles at leased I know which side of the fight wonned. ANd that was the side I was on. HAHahahahahah GEEz waht a fruity cup NANcy BOy. IF it aint for the JIffy LUbes of the world you might have too get your fingers dirty changing your oils. IF you coud. HOws that race in CLEaveland MR. BIgshot? hahahahahaha