PDA

View Full Version : India GP

cameraman
10-28-11, 06:38 PM
Well that has started off well. The associated Metallica concert was postponed due to some problem with the venue which resulted in a minor riot which destroyed the stage which resulted in the show being cancelled completely...
:shakehead

nissan gtp
10-28-11, 06:57 PM
for a Tilke-ism, the track is pretty good

Gnam
10-28-11, 08:20 PM
Practice for the NJGP? :p

rosawendel
10-28-11, 09:07 PM
I dunno... Other than the occasional stray dog, it seems pretty boring to me. And even though it's only Friday, the attendance looked pretty pitiful. Looks like it may follow S Korea down the drain (and as long as there's a new jersey waiting in the wings, Bernie just won't care).

RusH
10-28-11, 09:46 PM
hush..Lady GaGa is there for the race :D

Trevor Longman
10-29-11, 12:14 AM
I dunno... Other than the occasional stray dog, it seems pretty boring to me. And even though it's only Friday, the attendance looked pretty pitiful. Looks like it may follow S Korea down the drain (and as long as there's a new jersey waiting in the wings, Bernie just won't care).

I hope so. With Russia also on the way in 2014 theres got to be some tracks that have to go and I would rather see the tilkedromes go than races like Spa and Germany. The actual layout of this one is ok at least for the 2nd half of it, but none of these new tracks have any atmosphere to them. Once you leave the pit straight theres never any trees, buildings, or foliage to be seen. There might be a swamp here or there, but it always looks like they're racing in a vacant lot. They all just seem so uninspiring. Hopefully Austin won't fall upon that same fate.

emjaya
10-29-11, 01:09 AM
This one won't fold in a hurry. There are a lot of people in India, a real lot of people all cashed up and ready to spend. Plus they have two local drivers to cheer on.

It will sell out with people just wanting to see Sachin do a grid walk.

emjaya
10-29-11, 07:54 AM
And a note to drivers: Do not cut the curbs. :eek: :rofl:

They could have used some of those orange things at Surfers last weekend.

racer2c
10-29-11, 11:36 AM
I hope so. With Russia also on the way in 2014 theres got to be some tracks that have to go and I would rather see the tilkedromes go than races like Spa and Germany. The actual layout of this one is ok at least for the 2nd half of it, but none of these new tracks have any atmosphere to them. Once you leave the pit straight theres never any trees, buildings, or foliage to be seen. There might be a swamp here or there, but it always looks like they're racing in a vacant lot. They all just seem so uninspiring. Hopefully Austin won't fall upon that same fate.

Based on the newer middle east/asian tracks it appears as if they are moving toward a template layout. A certain look and feel of 'modern F1', with the painted run offs etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Austin fit that new model.
They sure do lack character!

Trevor Longman
10-29-11, 01:51 PM
My only hope with Austin is that they at least have some idea of what American race fans want in a track and perhaps they can cater to that a little bit. India and South Korea have never had a race track of any importance so its all new to them. One can only hope.

Racing Truth
10-29-11, 01:53 PM
Based on the newer middle east/asian tracks it appears as if they are moving toward a template layout. A certain look and feel of 'modern F1', with the painted run offs etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Austin fit that new model.
They sure do lack character!

If anyone thinks any new F1-level course will have any character to them, they're kidding themselves. Other than Turkey (now gone due to no one giving a ****), none of them do. They're soulless and predictable. But they seem to be safe, and along with $$$, that's been Bernie's and the FIA's main priority since May '94.

BarillaGirl
10-29-11, 02:28 PM
Dear SPEED, why do we care if Rowan Atkinson was at the track? :saywhat:

j_d
10-29-11, 02:44 PM

Perhaps because he currently tops the board in "Top Gear's" "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" with a lap time of 1:42.2? Mr. Bean can drive!

Insomniac
10-29-11, 03:52 PM
I think the bare tracks are more about money than anything else. The track owners need to invest in developing in and around the track. Isn't Austin built in an empty area as well?

The smog makes the track look even more isolated/drab.

Indy
10-29-11, 07:29 PM
...yawn...

cameraman
10-29-11, 09:19 PM

Because the feed is produced by a bunch of Brits.

Napoleon
10-30-11, 06:06 AM
hush..Lady GaGa is there for the race :D

In their top of the hour news NPR just did a piece on the race and you are not joking, the race is followed by a concert from her.

cameraman
10-30-11, 07:58 AM
This was the best part of the whole race

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/436936732.jpg

opinionated ow
10-30-11, 09:09 AM
Lewis Hamilton is such a knob. I could understand if Felipe Massa got a complex over him. Wrong driver got penalised...

Pilgrims Drop
10-30-11, 10:23 AM
Lewis Hamilton is such a knob. I could understand if Felipe Massa got a complex over him. Wrong driver got penalised...

That was actually my inital reaction as well but then i saw it some more times and Massa screws up his exit of the previous corner and goes directly off the racing line proper and covers hamilton... and this time Lewis was actually up where it, for once, could actually be called alongside Massa and then backed of sightly when he saw Massa veer towards him... So I think the stewards got it right, but as many times before this season I think it would've been best to simply call it a race incident...

The only question I have left really is.... would Lewis been able to make the corner at that speed?

Trevor Longman
10-30-11, 10:47 AM
:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

LC6sCRviDcA

Insomniac
10-30-11, 12:14 PM
I thought it was a racing incident. Massa turned in on Hamilton, but Massa was also technically ahead.

I felt like the suspension breaking was because Massa was hitting the inner curb at the front edge where there appears to be an edge/dip.

Also, if they want to compare laps led stats, even as a %, you have to give way more weight to the older eras because the cars weren't de-tuned reliability machines.

stroker
10-30-11, 01:59 PM
Did anyone else's DVR start recording around lap 18? Was there something funky about the scheduling on Speed?

patski
10-30-11, 03:02 PM
Did anyone else's DVR start recording around lap 18? Was there something funky about the scheduling on Speed?

Nope! I got the complete show.

rosawendel
10-30-11, 06:47 PM

Time Warner had the race broken into two segments in the guide. The first was an hour, and the second was an hour and a half.

Trevor Longman
10-30-11, 07:24 PM
My DVR only recorded the first hour of the show. :flame: Doesn't look like I missed much though.

Insomniac
10-30-11, 07:32 PM
Time Warner had the race broken into two segments in the guide. The first was an hour, and the second was an hour and a half.

DirecTV guide had the same thing. (And if you're on DirecTV, this may be the last race we get this season.)

emjaya
10-30-11, 07:40 PM
I thought it was a racing incident. Massa turned in on Hamilton, but Massa was also technically ahead.

I felt like the suspension breaking was because Massa was hitting the inner curb at the front edge where there appears to be an edge/dip.

Also, if they want to compare laps led stats, even as a %, you have to give way more weight to the older eras because the cars weren't de-tuned reliability machines.

I thought racing incident, too. The guest steward was Englishman Johnny Herbert, I believe. :tinfoilhat: :gomer:

Rogue Leader
10-30-11, 09:58 PM

Cablevision had that as well. I made sure to record both, it was strange.

cameraman
10-30-11, 10:35 PM
My stupid DVR decided it was time to shut down with 6 laps to go but since I was awake I was able to cancel it. It did kill the recording though.

Rocketdoc
10-30-11, 10:56 PM
My DVR only recorded the first hour of the show. :flame: Doesn't look like I missed much though.

Honestly, you didn't miss much.

The two long straights are interesting, but the race itself wasn't the kind you remember.

Rocketdoc
10-30-11, 11:00 PM
DirecTV guide had the same thing. (And if you're on DirecTV, this may be the last race we get this season.)

I'm caught up in the same thing with Direct TV. I'll quit them and go where I can get Speed.

I care less about Versus or any of the other sub channels, and I have no allegiance to Direct TV, which means I may lose Speed for some time.

cameraman
10-30-11, 11:11 PM
Most providers now carry Speed.

Michaelhatesfans
10-31-11, 01:11 AM
Well that has started off well. The associated Metallica concert was postponed due to some problem with the venue which resulted in a minor riot which destroyed the stage which resulted in the show being cancelled completely...
:shakehead

Not sure how many of the rioters they caught, but they arrested four of the promoters...:\
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15511431

Michaelhatesfans
10-31-11, 01:14 AM
Please tell me they arrested Gentilozzi

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/56370000/jpg/_56370651_013241878-2.jpg

cameraman
10-31-11, 01:20 AM
No but the crew that got arrested look to have been cut from the same cloth..

http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/00821/metallica_821195f.jpg

Michaelhatesfans
10-31-11, 02:44 AM
Indeed!:laugh:

Indy
11-01-11, 08:13 AM

Good point. Really none of the current record-breaking statistics are impressive when you consider the difficulty involved in driving the cars years ago (and the danger). I think that is one of the reasons I always felt that the Chin was overrated, and I feel the same about Vettel.

Ankf00
11-01-11, 11:24 AM
buncha racists!

Ziggy
11-02-11, 07:51 AM
They had a Grand Prix in India?

which Yak won? :D

Was the podium set atop a giant Seven Eleven sign? Did the top three get starchy rough towels as gifts? Did they shower the throng with curry?