PDA

View Full Version : Max Mosley's Opinion

Mary
10-20-11, 12:56 PM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95546

I just don't know what to say to this.:saywhat::shakehead

What on earth made him put his 10 cents into it? I don't even know where to start commenting on this.

Mary

Napoleon
10-20-11, 01:02 PM
Oh, and here I thought this was going to be about Nazis, prostitutes and the like when I clicked on this thread.

Chief
10-20-11, 01:09 PM
Someone needs to tell Max the IRL already has been conducting extensive research...for 8 years. The conclusion? Retire the car, because now they can. Case closed.

Lux Interior
10-20-11, 01:33 PM
Max has a long record as head of the FIA and knows a ton about racing safety. Dan Wheldon was also English like Max is. Plus he was being interviewed by CNN it says. I'm all about safety no matter how crappy the series is.

Mary
10-20-11, 02:09 PM
Max has a long record as head of the FIA and knows a ton about racing safety. Dan Wheldon was also English like Max is. Plus he was being interviewed by CNN it says. I'm all about safety no matter how crappy the series is.

I'm sorry, but Max Mosley would be the biggest hypocrite on earth if the IRL people didn't exist. He wasn't interested in 1996 or 1999, or even when the IRL had their previous fatal accidents. I don't remember reading any comments from him about the IRL's 'broken back' era, either. Where was he when NASCAR used to cackle about still using 30-year-old frame design until four people died in the same type accident causing them to have to do something.

Mary

Lux Interior
10-20-11, 09:53 PM
I'm sorry, but Max Mosley would be the biggest hypocrite on earth if the IRL people didn't exist. He wasn't interested in 1996 or 1999, or even when the IRL had their previous fatal accidents. I don't remember reading any comments from him about the IRL's 'broken back' era, either. Where was he when NASCAR used to cackle about still using 30-year-old frame design until four people died in the same type accident causing them to have to do something.

Mary

I was just saying that the FIA has a lot of safety knowledge and Max knows a lot about road car safety. If the IRL had consulted the FIA about the broken back problem I have no doubt that they would have worked with them.

Chief
10-20-11, 10:01 PM
I was just saying that the FIA has a lot of safety knowledge and Max knows a lot about road car safety. If the IRL had consulted the FIA about the broken back problem I have no doubt that they would have worked with them.
And they would have condemned the car and essentially put the IRL out of business. Couldn't have that...thanks but no thanks. they knew about that too and did nothing but put a rubber bumper on it. Don't need no stinkin' FIA!

Lux Interior
10-21-11, 06:22 AM
And they would have condemned the car and essentially put the IRL out of business. Couldn't have that...thanks but no thanks. they knew about that too and did nothing but put a rubber bumper on it. Don't need no stinkin' FIA!

Exactly Chief - no need to heap any blame on Max. He was asked by CNN and basically the undertone of the interview is that he thinks the IRL has dropped the ball in the safety department.

Mary
10-21-11, 10:37 AM

The IRL wasn't going to consult anybody about anything. They purposely ignored decades of research in formula car design that was right under their noses. Their utter contempt for CART and to a lesser extent for Formula One BLINDED them to the truth. A lot of what was wrong with the broken-back specials had been solved by F1 & CART before the IRL was created, but they deliberately not only ignored it, but did the opposite when they designed and built their cars.

IMO, Max Mosely wasn't intersted in seeing CART continue to succeed, so he placed his bet on the IRL knowing that CART probably wouldn't survive without Indy and that the IRL peeps were too close-minded to survive themselves.

The only comments I remember him making about American racing were rantings about the Surfer's race and other races CART ran outside North America. He managed to comment then without CNN asking him.

The FIA probably would have worked with the IRL had it been requested, but IMO Max would have tried to use the FIA's involvement to further batter CART. Further, I don't know but seriously doubt that the IRL wouldn't have taken their suggestions.

Mary

racer2c
10-21-11, 11:10 AM
Just out of curious, is there anything that mandates the FIA's involvement due to IndyCar's off shore excursions? I recall many, many years ago some insiders talking about some FIA rep here in the states that was very IRL centric and made desicions that most never knew about. Forgot his name.

Lux Interior
10-21-11, 11:12 AM
The IRL wasn't going to consult anybody about anything. They purposely ignored decades of research in formula car design that was right under their noses. Their utter contempt for CART and to a lesser extent for Formula One BLINDED them to the truth. A lot of what was wrong with the broken-back specials had been solved by F1 & CART before the IRL was created, but they deliberately not only ignored it, but did the opposite when they designed and built their cars.

IMO, Max Mosely wasn't intersted in seeing CART continue to succeed, so he placed his bet on the IRL knowing that CART probably wouldn't survive without Indy and that the IRL peeps were too close-minded to survive themselves.

The only comments I remember him making about American racing were rantings about the Surfer's race and other races CART ran outside North America. He managed to comment then without CNN asking him.

The FIA probably would have worked with the IRL had it been requested, but IMO Max would have tried to use the FIA's involvement to further batter CART. Further, I don't know but seriously doubt that the IRL wouldn't have taken their suggestions.

Mary

Mary, I believe that you and I are on the same page actually:thumbup:

Ziggy
10-21-11, 12:10 PM
Mary

It was a pleasure to read your post

:thumbup: