PDA

View Full Version : Remember Tony Renna?

Chief
10-19-11, 01:05 PM
I do.....and October 22nd is an important day of remembrance, especially in these dark days. RIP Tony.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Tony_Renna_in_May_2003.jpg/220px-Tony_Renna_in_May_2003.jpg

Fio1
10-19-11, 01:55 PM
Yup, I remember him from the Skip Barber days. He was a good kid and very talented.

Everyone is still very hush hush about what happened to him; how he crashed, how he died and where the car ended up. Pretty sad, nothing really happened after that crash to improve anything.

racer2c
10-19-11, 02:16 PM
Here's an article from Indy Public Relations that basically says that after a very thorough and complete investigation, Tony crashed and died. :thumdown:

http://www.racingwest.com/news/articles/8137-renna-accident-review-complete.html

Elmo T
10-19-11, 02:20 PM
I've read all sorts of post-incident investigation reports. They can provide detailed accounts while still protecting the surviving family members. I've read some very detailed and damning reports too.

So what could be so egregious that they'd provide so little information?

racer2c
10-19-11, 02:27 PM
I've read all sorts of post-incident investigation reports. They can provide detailed accounts while still protecting the surviving family members. I've read some very detailed and damning reports too.

They new their flying crapwagon was more than just a back breaker. Like Ziggy mentioned in another thread, it was after Tony's death that they added the full length wicker to try to keep them grounded. That should have been it for that Dallara, but instead they added a one inch wicker and kept racing for another 8 years. I hate the IRL so bad. :flame:

Kiwifan
10-19-11, 03:26 PM
Crikey, was it 8 years ago? We were watching the racing on the Goldy when the news came through. We all stood for a minutes silence and they gave him due respect but sadly ... nothing changed. :thumdown:

Rogue Leader
10-19-11, 05:05 PM

Because parts of the car landed in the grandstands. I remember seeing pictures of them making repairs to the spot the parts hit. I know that investigation article says he didn't pierce the fence but IIRC from reports and post accident photos at the time, he did. Had it been an Indy 500 race weekend there would have likely been a bunch of people killed and countless more injured.

Don Quixote
10-19-11, 05:39 PM
Substitute the words "cover up" for "investigation", and that about sums it up.

Ziggy
10-19-11, 06:07 PM
Boys, it augered into the handicapped platform

that's a fact, I saw them repairing it. They didn't even have to deal with the news choppers filming it, as a courtesy

Racing Truth
10-19-11, 08:11 PM
Because parts of the car landed in the grandstands. I remember seeing pictures of them making repairs to the spot the parts hit. I know that investigation article says he didn't pierce the fence but IIRC from reports and post accident photos at the time, he did. Had it been an Indy 500 race weekend there would have likely been a bunch of people killed and countless more injured.

From what I remember at the time, I read that the car spun, supposedly got on (wettish) grass and got air. From there, you and Ziggy have it right.

Indy
10-19-11, 09:31 PM
What Ziggy said. If it had happened on race day it would have meant the end of top level open wheel on ovals, period.

Chief
10-19-11, 09:46 PM
It's also the 8 year anniversary of Kenny Brack's flight at Texas.