PDA

View Full Version : Mass murder in Orange County, CA

Anteater
10-13-11, 06:37 PM
SEAL BEACH – The deadliest shooting in Orange County history unfolded Wednesday afternoon in a crowded Seal Beach beauty salon when a lone gunman opened fire, leaving eight dead and one critically injured.
Hours later, Seal Beach police searched a home in Huntington Beach in connection with the case. Property records show the home is owned by Scott Dekraai, a one-time tugboat crewman who neighbors said was a devoted father to his young son.
Police confirmed after 11 p.m. Wednesday that Dekraai had been arrested on suspicion of murder.
Coworkers and customers of those killed speculated that the gunman may have been motivated by a long-running and bitter custody dispute with one of the stylists at Salon Meritage. Court records show that Dekraai has been involved in a divorce and custody case since 2007 and was in court for a hearing on Tuesday.
His ex-wife's attorney said Dekraai was seeking full custody of their son, but a court-ordered review had recommended against that. The attorney, John Cate Jr., said Tuesday's hearing was "benign," a scheduling meeting. "Obviously, I saw no indication," he said.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/business-321651-medical-beach.html
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/salon-321796-beach-police.html

I knew nothing about this until I turned onto Marina Dr. last night and saw news vans, police activity, and a candlelit memorial. :( Seal Beach is a lovely, peaceful little beach town, and the suspect lived in a nice neighborhood in Huntington Beach. My feeling of security is shattered: if this can happen in Seal Beach, it can happen anywhere.

It’s particularly chilling that no one had a clue that this guy was about to go off. Thoughts and prayers…

G.
10-14-11, 02:37 PM
Not cool having this stuff show up in your neighborhood, but yeah, it can happen anywhere.

Sad stuff. :(

Gnam
10-14-11, 04:27 PM
scary. reminds me of the end of Falling Down with Michael Douglas.

The worst part is being confronted with the reality that the layer between a normal day and violence is very thin.

TravelGal
10-14-11, 04:41 PM

The worst part is being confronted with the reality that the layer between a normal day and violence is very thin.

The layer between a normal day and *anything* is very thin.

The papers have been full of this for the last couple of days. The hard part is that it happens everywhere. Really reminds us to kiss our loved ones every single time they go out the door.

Or, it can be a nice surprise, like when someone you don't know, have never met, and probably never will, says, "You know, Gnam, you write the greatest posts. If I see you've commented, no matter what the thread, I go to it to read it." So there. (Anteater, you KNOW I love you and Mr A --and APEX, too)

dando
10-14-11, 05:49 PM

Back in the early 90s when I was in customer service for CompuServe we used to have a guy who wore a USPS cap and had an ammo box on his desk. Another bunch of reps created a Doom WAD based on the layout of customer service floor plan. And then there was a guy on our team that I swore was going to go Falling Down any day. My supervisor had me in her office every time she had a one-on-one with him. :eek: Luckily nothing actually happened (except for a guy that was busted in a public park restroom with another guy...who was also a cousin of a UConn star and later a decent NBA player.) :saywhat: Our community is much like Seal Beach (w/o the beach) and we've had like one murder in 30+ years. But then we have teens/tweens that vandalize the neighborhood park that is under construction, and the community club house and pool. :shakehead

-Kevin

trish
10-14-11, 07:38 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/business-321651-medical-beach.html
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/salon-321796-beach-police.html

I knew nothing about this until I turned onto Marina Dr. last night and saw news vans, police activity, and a candlelit memorial. :( Seal Beach is a lovely, peaceful little beach town, and the suspect lived in a nice neighborhood in Huntington Beach. My feeling of security is shattered: if this can happen in Seal Beach, it can happen anywhere.

It’s particularly chilling that no one had a clue that this guy was about to go off. Thoughts and prayers…It was reported that he went to her job about a month ago and said he would come back to kill them all. So there were clues.

Anteater
10-17-11, 09:38 AM
Back at ya, TravelGal! :)

It seems that this creep did tell his ex-wife that he was going to shoot her at the salon 2 weeks ago. It is a terrible thing that she didn't heed the warning. So many innocent people paid the price of that.

The monster was pretty pleased with himself; just look at his booking photo:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/salon-321997-killing-beach.html
:flame: