racer2c
10-11-11, 04:30 PM
:) I'm 99% sure these were real.

racer2c
10-11-11, 04:43 PM
:)

Don Quixote
10-11-11, 05:42 PM
Awesome. I love the Blatz Beer add, to provide nourishment to the baby! That folks, is why I turned out the way I did.

Gnam
10-11-11, 06:23 PM
Nothing says Christmas like a gun, except maybe a vacuum cleaner. :laugh:

TKGAngel
10-11-11, 06:46 PM
An 8-1/2 is a "chubby" size? :confused:

Ankf00
10-11-11, 06:49 PM
:rofl:

racer2c
10-11-11, 07:57 PM
I remember hearing as a dumb, naive young teen that when you blew smoke in a girls face and she wasn't revolted, she liked you. Thankfully never tried it. The gun for Christmas and the adoring look on the wife to her Hoover is classic. 'More doctors smoke Camels' made me actually lol.

racer2c
10-11-11, 07:59 PM
Awesome. I love the Blatz Beer add, to provide nourishment to the baby! That folks, is why I turned out the way I did.

:thumbup:

racer2c
10-11-11, 08:00 PM
Nothing says Christmas like a gun, except maybe a vacuum cleaner. :laugh:

Especially an unwrapped revolver under the tree! :rofl: I have this mental image of ward clever, high ball in one had, pipe in mouth and that ad in the other! Lol!

Insomniac
10-11-11, 08:02 PM

I like the picture with the ad.

Napoleon
10-12-11, 05:21 AM

I have heard a few times that clothes manufacturers have slowly inflated dress sizes to "compliment" their customers so that 8 1/2 in the 50s would not be 8 1/2 today.

WickerBill
10-12-11, 07:07 AM
I have heard a few times that clothes manufacturers have slowly inflated dress sizes to "compliment" their customers so that 8 1/2 in the 50s would not be 8 1/2 today.

Doesn't that mean an 8 1/2 would have been even smaller in the 50s?

Napoleon
10-12-11, 09:47 AM
Doesn't that mean an 8 1/2 would have been even smaller in the 50s?

Yes, actually it does, so I suppose I don't have much of a point (in other words typical of my posts).

Andrew Longman
10-12-11, 09:57 AM
Awesome. I love the Blatz Beer add, to provide nourishment to the baby! That folks, is why I turned out the way I did.I'm reading Last Call about the history of Prohibition -- the book that got Ken Burns interested in doing his lastest doc.

It mentioned that ad and campaign. The brewers and distillers were pretty bitter rivals (brewers being immigrant German and Irish and distillers not -- mostly Jewish if anything). Brewers liked to push beer as "liquid bread" and actually healthy compared to unhealthy spirits.

I've heard people, mostly in the midwest, refer to beer as liquid bread but I didn't know the origins.

BTW pregnant women, blood donors and post operative patients in Ireland were entitled to free rations of Guinness because it has some iron in it.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39564000/jpg/_39564693_203guinn3.jpg

Some still say it is good for you http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39564000/jpg/_39564693_203guinn3.jpg

Napoleon
10-12-11, 10:07 AM
the book that got Ken Burns interested in doing his lastest doc.

Just finished watching that last night on DVR. Very interesting.

cameraman
10-12-11, 12:13 PM
Yes, actually it does, so I suppose I don't have much of a point (in other words typical of my posts).

The actual point is that the kids were that much skinnier in the 40's & 50's. The average girl was below an 8 1/2.

It's amazing how much the cut of the clothes have changed. My son is very thin (2nd percentile on BMI charts) and shirts that are long enough for his arms are like sacks and the pants will literally just drop to the floor:shakehead We have some "antique" clothes that we picked up at a garage sale, 1950's vintage. The shirts & pants fit quite well. If you lay the old shirt on top of a new shirt the sleeve length and body height are identical but the new shirt is almost 3" wider...

Andrew Longman
10-12-11, 12:35 PM
Just finished watching that last night on DVR. Very interesting.I've been holding off watching it until I finish the book. I started the book before I even knew about Burn's work. Just odd timing. I saw the author last year on Jon Stewart and finally got around to picking up the book.

I highly recommend the book though. Good stuff and a great insight to American politics and how we got that way.

Ruok
10-12-11, 12:56 PM
I've heard people, mostly in the midwest, refer to beer as liquid bread but I didn't know the origins.

I have not read Last Call or seen Prohibition, I always thought the liquid bread thing had monastic origins.

'The Paulaner monks brewed the first Paulaner beer in 1634. During the Lenten period forced to fast on only bread and water, the monks reasoned that beer could be brewed as “liquid bread” and not violate their Lenten promise. The Paulaner monks’ “liquid bread” became the world’s first Double Bock – Paulaner Salvator.'

http://wellmetman.com/2011/04/28/beer-fast/

Andrew Longman
10-12-11, 02:26 PM
I have not read Last Call or seen Prohibition, I always thought the liquid bread thing had monastic origins.

'The Paulaner monks brewed the first Paulaner beer in 1634. During the Lenten period forced to fast on only bread and water, the monks reasoned that beer could be brewed as “liquid bread” and not violate their Lenten promise. The Paulaner monks’ “liquid bread” became the world’s first Double Bock – Paulaner Salvator.'

http://wellmetman.com/2011/04/28/beer-fast/I suppose Augusta Busch left that part of the "pitch" when he promoted beer to American's. :)