PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs dead at 56

Napoleon
10-05-11, 08:04 PM
Wow - he was only 6 years older then me.

nissan gtp
10-05-11, 08:09 PM
the world is now a poorer place

TravelGal
10-05-11, 08:10 PM
I just gasped out loud and came here to post. You guys are quick! From the Apple website:

Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.

If you would like to share your thoughts, memories, and condolences, please email rememberingsteve@apple.com

dando
10-05-11, 08:11 PM
Sonofabitch. Not an @ppl fanboi, but respected him immensely. Sad, sad day for USA tech.

-Kevin

TravelGal
10-05-11, 08:19 PM
Sonofabitch. Not an @ppl fanboi, but respected him immensely. Sad, sad day for USA tech.

-Kevin

Agreed, on all counts. :(

dando
10-05-11, 08:23 PM
Chills, just chills...this is like Elvis passing for technogeeks like me. :cry: w/o him there is no iPod, iPhone or Pixar. :cry: x 11

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
10-05-11, 10:19 PM
Chills, just chills...this is like Elvis passing for technogeeks like me. :cry: w/o him there is no iPod, iPhone or Pixar. :cry: x 11

-KevinOr perhaps graphical user interface as we know them or single touch applications.

dando
10-05-11, 10:45 PM
Or perhaps graphical user interface as we know them or single touch applications.

Well, frankly if you go back and watch the old PBS series about the PC, the UI and mouse was copied from Xerox. In any case, Jobs innovated like no other since Henry Ford or Thomas Edison, IMO.

-Kevin

nrc
10-06-11, 12:43 AM
Sad news, indeed.

I'm on record as not exactly a fan but I can't deny his genius. Jobs is too often given credit for inventing things that he really just perfected. His real genius was in turning computers into true consumer products by creating something much more fun, hip and personal than the business tools that we use to toil away in our cubes. He figured out how to market them and he figured out how to use them to channel revenue from much of the content consumed on them. In the process he turned other people's inventions into his innovations.

I hope that in his absence Apple can continue to create products that are just as fun and hip and cool even if they enrage me every time I touch them. The world needs that. The cool I mean, not the rage.

RIP Steve Jobs, the future is less "amazing" without you.

Rogue Leader
10-06-11, 07:59 AM
Sad news, indeed.

I'm on record as not exactly a fan but I can't deny his genius. Jobs is too often given credit for inventing things that he really just perfected. His real genius was in turning computers into true consumer products by creating something much more fun, hip and personal than the business tools that we use to toil away in our cubes. He figured out how to market them and he figured out how to use them to channel revenue from much of the content consumed on them. In the process he turned other people's inventions into his innovations.

I hope that in his absence Apple can continue to create products that are just as fun and hip and cool even if they enrage me every time I touch them. The world needs that. The cool I mean, not the rage.

RIP Steve Jobs, the future is less "amazing" without you.

+1

stroker
10-06-11, 08:12 AM
Wow - he was only 6 years older then me.

only 4 than me!

Andrew Longman
10-06-11, 08:13 AM
Well, frankly if you go back and watch the old PBS series about the PC, the UI and mouse was copied from Xerox. In any case, Jobs innovated like no other since Henry Ford or Thomas Edison, IMO.

-KevinVery true, But Apple advanced it and really took human factors and making stuff that actually worked and worked for humans to all aspects of anything with the Apple name. An Apple product had to very, very intelligently thought through.

Business Week ran a piece a few weeks ago that described when the ipod was released Jobs delayed the release and up the 11th hour was having the engineers redesign the phone jack to make it more "clicky"

I hope that attention to detail and user experience isn't diminished with Jobs death.

BTW Trevor, because his mom is a graphic designer who has always used Macs and because Trevor has some similar interests with his photography, bought a Mac laptop a bit ago. He brought it home and turned it one and it worked. Found printers, the network, etc all by itself and just worked.

My PC laptop is old enough I am about to replace it. There are things that have never worked right, print drivers that disappear on a regular basis, Outlook that partially works on some networks and not at all on some others, etc, and I spend about 2 hours a month it seems with McAfee cobbling my defenses back together after virus attacks.

And non of that can be a user problem because I now know how to post youtube videos :D

TKGAngel
10-06-11, 08:35 AM
BTW Trevor, because his mom is a graphic designer who has always used Macs and because Trevor has some similar interests with his photography, bought a Mac laptop a bit ago. He brought it home and turned it one and it worked. Found printers, the network, etc all by itself and just worked.

(snip)

And non of that can be a user problem because I now know how to post youtube videos :D

Between the research & test drives of new PC laptops after mine died, I made the call to crack open the piggy bank & change jar and get a Mac. My god, I'm now hearing purple and seeing wind. It's like night and day. I was also impressed that at the Apple store they made sure my computer worked and email was set up before I even left the building.

The only complaint was that I had to download Flash for those pesky YT videos.

Elmo T
10-06-11, 08:48 AM
He brought it home and turned it one and it worked. Found printers, the network, etc all by itself and just worked.

This.

I got away from Macs for no reason other than cost - and I am ready to go back. The hardware was always bulletproof. And if it wasn't, I found their replacement service excellent (a couple early iPods went south - replaced with a few mouse clicks.)

I am perplexed by the Steve Jobs hate I've read over the last 12 hours. Actual vein-popping venom spewing hate. I guess it is as trendy now to show your disdain for Apple as it was to show your love back in the day.

Napoleon
10-06-11, 09:28 AM
I am perplexed by the Steve Jobs hate I've read over the last 12 hours. Actual vein-popping venom spewing hate.

Really? What types of things have you seen said?

For as much as you can laud him for his technical innovations I think he could be subject to some very scathing criticism regarding Apples manufacturing methods and its contribution to hollowing out American manufacturing, but you know unless we are talking about Pol Pot or Robert Mugabe or someone like that, by tradition you let crap like that lie until another day and honor the best in the person.

Napoleon
10-06-11, 09:52 AM
Awesome,

We are now able to unify this thread with another thread on this forum, namely the one on the Westboro Baptist Church. Behold the tweet from the wife of the minister of the church and note what type of device the tweet was sent from.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58372028@N00/6217338250/

dando
10-06-11, 10:31 AM
I've seen nothing but love for Jobs on the 'net thus far, but I did see a piece on NBC about his abrasive personality. I have talked to peeps in biz dev that have dealt with Apple, and they have said they made M$FT look like the good guys. The man was a genius despite using other's ideas and perfecting them. I have my own issues with the wall garden approach, but it's the same way McDs, etc. does it...make it the same way everywhere. But sometimes I like hot sauce on my burger. :) And to be honest, Windoze is supporting 10x the peripherals (although that has shifted the past decade). Windoze 7 is a great improvement over Vista and XP. Keep in mind I use Windoze, OSX and Android devices on a regular basis. They all are flawed. I'm flabbergasted @ how the various devices get updates over the same network for GMail/GTalk sporadically (one device will chirp while others do not...same network, same location in the homizzle).

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-06-11, 12:24 PM
Very true, But Apple advanced it and really took human factors and making stuff that actually worked and worked for humans to all aspects of anything with the Apple name. An Apple product had to very, very intelligently thought through.

this. the applications aspect is as important as the actual tech R&D. "this widget is the most advanced widget ever!" is worthless if it's not put to actual use. Apple took over a fractured mp3 player market, and despite all the complaints of lack of solid state drive and lack of removable storage not only took over the market but expanded it exponentially. Same with iphone. iphone's a case study in proper market validation. they weren't trying to erode RIM's market share, they successfully stole the market that ends up buying motorola RAZRs despite all the complaints of removable battery and tactile keyboard and everything else it killed moto's and nokia's and samsung's dominance of the consumer handset market. They hugely expanded the market for non-business smartphones. All of us went from feature phones from Nokia, Motorola and Samsung to having a smartphone of some flavor w/ internet, gps, maps. and not just WWW on a browser, but also an app structure with which to more cleanly access internet data. Tablet, same thing all over again, endless critique's of "what good is this? this is just a netbook. minus the good stuff. large iphone," it launches, demand, expands the market, and everyone else in that space follows, moto, blackberry, HP, Dell, who going to buy a netbook now? niche computer company to broad digital products company, and one which has had a large impact on day to day behavior in how we access information. Microsoft did that in the 80's/90's, and now apple's doing it.

and on top of that, the definition of a product design house, as Longman alludes to.

and what Nappy posted
http://i.imgur.com/5kjVw.jpg

Napoleon
10-06-11, 12:27 PM
oh and this is funny...

Why didn't anyone else up thread, say, 2 post back, think to link to that?

;)

Ankf00
10-06-11, 12:36 PM
hey, I edited :p

plus, Fry makes it funnier. :gomer:

Ankf00
10-06-11, 02:24 PM
wired's writeup

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/10/jobs/all/1

His accomplishments were unmatched. People who can claim credit for game-changing products — iconic inventions that become embedded in the culture and answers to Jeopardy questions decades later — are few and far between. But Jobs has had not one, not two, but six of these breakthroughs, any one of which would have made for a magnificent career. In order: the Apple II, the Macintosh, the movie studio Pixar, the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad. (This doesn’t even include the consistent, brilliant improvements to the Macintosh operating system, or the Apple retail store juggernaut.) Had he lived a natural lifespan, there would have almost certainly been more.

Andrew Longman
10-06-11, 03:02 PM
Ank: This is Jobs from a Q&A in the dark days of 97 explaining to a hostile questioner his POV on technology and the customer experience. He says it better than any of us.

FF-tKLISfPE

Andrew Longman
10-06-11, 03:07 PM
I'm stealing the below from another site (my brother's -- he's the booman and a wannabe pundits getting some actual traction) but I think it is also telling of Jobs' impact.

His was a company I always wanted to work for.

Back in the 1970s, pre-Reagan, it was common for founders of companies, especially in silicon valley, to compete with each other to see who could treat their employees the best. Keep in mind this was the birthplace of Hewlett-Packard, which for a long time was a great place to work until the board decided to hire an outsider as CEO. So they had to do a lot to top H-P.

And they did. Tandem, Silicon Graphics, Apple - just to name a few. All REALLY special places to work (I spent half my career at one of those).

Poor Apple did have some rough times during the years that Jobs wasn't there. I lived 3 blocks from their main HQ could see the old Apple Day Care outside my back window looking onto Portal Park -- that is, until they sold it off in one of an endless stream of cost-cutting moves. You could slowly see the place turning into, as one of my friends called my own employer, "just another **** company". The management was definitely herd mentality - as shown by the idiotic joint venture that they started with IBM called Taligent.

But Jobs came back and low and behold, the magic returned. Yeah, they made great product. And Jobs was the leader who made that happen. But it wasn't because he thought of every innovation himself - it's because he created a culture that thrived on innovation, and that started with treating employees like people. When we sold our house in 2005 it was to an Apple employee who absolutely loved working there. Sigh -- I was jealous -- I remember loving the company I worked for a long time ago, and it's a great feeling.

Those of you who don't like Apple products, try this. First, get yourself into the most open mind you possibly can, then go to the nearest Apple Store. Best to avoid nights and weekends as these places are extremely popular. You'll see why Apple is the tops in the world in customer satisfaction. And that, too, was a huge part of Jobs' vision - treat people well and, well, magic happens. http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2011/10/5/205910/914

miatanut
10-06-11, 03:27 PM
Sad day, but when he stepped down from Apple, based on how he loved that company, you knew the end was near.

My first experience with a Mac was in 1986 when a friend demonstrated one to me. Having used PC's, I thought it was pretty weird. I had to use one in grad school in 1988, so I had to get over my attitude that it was a toy, not a proper computer. I did that and was soon using one at work. When I left there in 1994 I had to by one (a used original Classic) for home use and have owned at least one Mac ever since. Now, I own seven through my company, plus a few I've kept (like my Powerbook 170 and Indigo iMac) because I gradually figured out Apple made pioneering products and I should keep some around. I got a Cube, used, because that was a pioneering one I never owned when it was new. I have its heir, the Mini, which is our company server. It's just nice to have stuff that works. Most of my Apple stuff is at work because, though it's expensive to buy, but then I don't have to screw with it, or get a geek in here to keep it running. The stuff just does its job keeping our overhead down.

I was late to the party on the consumer stuff. I got my first iPod 1 1/2 years ago, and my first iPhone a couple months ago. I suppose at some point I will get an iPad.

Somebody like Steve Jobs comes along once in a lifetime.

Thank you Steve for making so much techno stuff easy for us regular folks to use.

Elmo T
10-06-11, 03:31 PM
20 minutes with Steve Jobs (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/10/06/insanely-great-20-minutes-on-phone-with-steve-jobs/)

Elmo T
10-06-11, 04:01 PM
Really? What types of things have you seen said?

I've seen several references to the Illuminati, complaints about the whole walled garden thing, Apple destroyed the music industry, and even a "ding-dong the witch is dead" quote. :rolleyes:

Napoleon
10-06-11, 04:05 PM
he's the booman

Really? That is not a regular stop for me but I do see him linked to by others.

Napoleon
10-06-11, 04:10 PM
I've seen several references to the Illuminati . . .

And, of course, that is when you know to quit reading what that person has written.

TravelGal
10-06-11, 04:18 PM
20 minutes with Steve Jobs (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/10/06/insanely-great-20-minutes-on-phone-with-steve-jobs/)

Beautiful.

Andrew Longman
10-06-11, 04:20 PM
Really? That is not a regular stop for me but I do see him linked to by others.Not a regular stop for me either but I do check in on little brother.

He's been at it awhile now, has a following and I think has his own slant on many things. Getting some notice from the right people including some inside the White House. He had to run out and get a haircut and new shirt the other day because he got a call to be on The Ed Show -- only to be bumped by the Troy Davis execution. Maybe next time. :gomer:

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Elmo T
10-06-11, 04:33 PM
And, of course, that is when you know to quit reading what that person has written.

Oh, I know. I didn't say they were sane. :shakehead

WickerBill
10-06-11, 04:56 PM
I probably fall in line more with nrc than the Jobs-is-God crowd, because unlike Edison or Bell or even Tesla, he was an idea man, not an inventor. He was very, very good at reading what people needed/wanted before those people cried out for it, and he became a pretty good salesman, too.

That being said, his ideas for improvement and attention to detail made the products better, more usable, and world-class. He also became an absolute master of company leadership.

I do wish he had decided to run the price up a little bit, or cut Apple's margins, or both, to get out of the sweatshop (and worse)-type of assembly plants his company used. I believe that will be a big stain on his legacy, for people who care to see history clearly.

Napoleon
10-06-11, 05:06 PM
He's been at it awhile now. . .

Well I’ll be. You Longman boys are sure ubiquitous on the internet.

I go to checkout some wonkish articles (or Keith Olberman's show) and there is your brother Phil, then when I visit the political end of the internet your younger brother who does not apparently have a proper first name, and then at the racing sites you and “The Longman Borg, The Next Generation” in the form of Trevor.

Hey Elmo, are you reading this? I think we now know who the Illuminati are.

Andrew Longman
10-06-11, 05:18 PM
I believe that will be a big stain on his legacy, for people who care to see history clearly.I think it will be interesting to see how history treats that.

The production environment of computer biz general is pretty much caught up in a race to the bottom on cost. There is an argument that if he didn't play on the same field as everyone else in that he wouldn't be able to invest/compete/win as well on the innovation end.

I think he might argue that the social, political and economic factors of 21st century manufacturing need to be improved but it isn't the business of his business to do that alone. In time, those areas will improve based on the social and political forces there. You can argue against that, but I think that would be his argument.

But he's also knocked because he apparently did nothing for charity, so maybe he really didn't think enough about the "good works" he had the opportunity to do.

gjc2
10-06-11, 06:06 PM
unlike Edison or Bell or even Tesla, he was an idea man, not an inventor. He was very, very good at reading what people needed/wanted before those people cried out for it, and he became a pretty good salesman, too.

That's what I think.

Elmo T
10-06-11, 06:41 PM
I probably fall in line more with nrc than the Jobs-is-God crowd, because unlike Edison or Bell or even Tesla, he was an idea man, not an inventor. He was very, very good at reading what people needed/wanted before those people cried out for it, and he became a pretty good salesman, too.

I see more him more like Raymond Loewy (http://www.raymondloewy.com/) than Edision.

Or like those old BASF commercials: "We don't make.... we make it better"

Andrew Longman
10-06-11, 09:32 PM
I see more him more like Raymond Loewy (http://www.raymondloewy.com/) than EdisionThat would be great company. I've always loved his designs. Particularly in rail.

Jobs did contribute a lot to a re conceptualization of design to include human factors first. But he (or the Apple he led) re conceptualized entire product categories and the very things they did -- not just their look and feel.

Napoleon
10-07-11, 05:43 AM
I see more him more like Raymond Loewy (http://www.raymondloewy.com/) than Edision.

Or Viktor Schreckengost.

Indy
10-07-11, 09:03 AM
I am perplexed by the Steve Jobs hate I've read over the last 12 hours. Actual vein-popping venom spewing hate. I guess it is as trendy now to show your disdain for Apple as it was to show your love back in the day.

I have noticed that, too. They used to be the computer for the hip, but they turned themselves into the computer for the hipster, the pseudo-cool alternate-is-conformity dude. Which I suppose is good for sales, but now it seems that they just are not as cool anymore.

Indy
10-07-11, 09:04 AM
If you really study the history of innovation and creativity, you will find that people likw Edison, Einstein, Adam Smith, and all of the great creators have borrowed very heavily from those that came before them. That is not to say they do not deserve credit for what they did, but standing on the shoulders of those who came before them is how it got done. Jobs was no different.

Personally I have given up on Apple despite being a "fanboi" since the first Apple II was released. At some point I had my fill of their seemingly increasing focus on profit above doing what is right for the customer. Example: Paid for MobileMe. Ran fine on all my old machines. Used it as my cloud to sync everything. They said upgrade to the new version, I did, and then it would not work. Turns out that I would have to buy the new operating system to make something I already paid for work. OK, $30, no big deal, except that not owning a newish Mac meant that an upgrade would probably make the old ones dead slow, which means the cost of the "free" MobileMe upgrade was really two grand to buy a new Mac, plus obsoleting all of my old ones. So I went out and bought some PC's instead, and I am doing just fine with them at less than half the cost. It made me wonder if SJ hadn't already stepped away from managing Apple more than we were told.

Regardless, RIP Steve Jobs. You were a hero to me for many years, and a truly great American who made many people very happy. What more could you ask of anyone?

Napoleon
10-07-11, 10:03 AM
If you really study the history of innovation and creativity, you will find that people likw Edison, Einstein, Adam Smith, and all of the great creators have borrowed very heavily from those that came before them. That is not to say they do not deserve credit for what they did, but standing on the shoulders of those who came before them is how it got done. Jobs was no different.

All of human society is that way. The BS about individualism is just that, BS. Virtually everything we have is as a result of building on the past, what others have done and cooperative ventures between people. Even Chimps live in a society where any advantage they have is a result of them learning off of and cooperating with each other.

That said I read an article years ago (10-15?) that was about the 5 (I think it was 5) people that the author, after talking to a lot of scientist, historians, ect came up with that really did come up with something that had they not society could have gone a really extended period of time before someone else hit on it. The only one I recall was Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.

Insomniac
10-07-11, 10:24 AM
http://www.stephenfry.com/2011/10/06/steve-jobs/single-page/

Personally, I see a difference between what Jobs did and Einstein/Edison. I'm not sure why there is a need to compare them. I don't think there really is anyone like him. He had an unbelievable ability to take things and make them mainstream. He designed products that people wanted without them knowing they wanted it. The fact that he did this - and so many people look back and say all the pieces were there, someone else did it first, it's nothing new, etc. - over and over is amazing to me.

So he wasn't an inventor or scientist, but he was a great innovator.

nrc
10-07-11, 10:56 AM
There are plenty of reasons to dislike Steve Jobs or the way he does business. For those who outright hate the guy it's probably just childish frustration over things that are out of their control.

I think the three biggest factions of haters are those who hate the walled garden approach, Microsoft fans that see their market dominance rapidly becoming irrelevant, and those who are simply reacting against the Apple hipsters and rampant fanboys.

The irony of it is that there is an element that hates him because he was a stone cold capitalist, but a lot of the folks that would hate him over that if he were making refridgerators are willing to overlook it because they want their cheap iPhone.

Napoleon
10-07-11, 11:50 AM
the walled garden approach

What does that even mean (seriously)?

dando
10-07-11, 11:56 AM
What does that even mean (seriously)?

Since I don't have time right now to get into this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walled_garden_%28technology%29

What's ironic is that Apple's initial splash came from an Orwellian ad during the Super Bowl.

OYecfV3ubP8

And then there is this side of Jobs:

E29v8vF0u-8

It's a love/hate relationship. :\

EDIT: you can also read more on this in this thread:

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16552&highlight=apple

-Kevin

WickerBill
10-07-11, 11:57 AM
Will history be more kind to Bill Gates or Steve Jobs? There's absolutely zero question right now as to which one is viewed more positively, but Gates more or less retired at 50 to spend time on philanthropy. It will be interesting. You could say Gates invented personal computing (he was the idea man AND the geek) and Jobs made people not hate personal computing. Gates changed the world through technology, Jobs followed and did the same, but now Gates is trying to change the world again outside the world of technology with medical research and hunger initiatives.

I hope he succeeds, and I wish Jobs had been given the opportunity to one-up him. Minds like those two are needed for more things than Sharepoint and iPads.

dando
10-07-11, 12:12 PM
Will history be more kind to Bill Gates or Steve Jobs? There's absolutely zero question right now as to which one is viewed more positively, but Gates more or less retired at 50 to spend time on philanthropy. It will be interesting. You could say Gates invented personal computing (he was the idea man AND the geek) and Jobs made people not hate personal computing. Gates changed the world through technology, Jobs followed and did the same, but now Gates is trying to change the world again outside the world of technology with medical research and hunger initiatives.

I hope he succeeds, and I wish Jobs had been given the opportunity to one-up him. Minds like those two are needed for more things than Sharepoint and iPads.

Yes, that will be interesting. Jobs was more of a marketer and had a cult-like persona, but was quite private (I had no idea he had kids until he passed). Gates is a nerd trying to pay forward/back from his monopoly. Jobs was cool, Gates not so much. And from my experience, both companies employed heavy-handed business tactics. I wonder how things would have turned out if Jobs wasn't booted from Apple.

-Kevin

Rogue Leader
10-07-11, 12:19 PM
The irony of it is that there is an element that hates him because he was a stone cold capitalist, but a lot of the folks that would hate him over that if he were making refridgerators are willing to overlook it because they want their cheap iPhone.

QFT

I can think of tons of people that are anti-corporate, etc that are so bent on the iPhone its like Steve gave them a free handie with it. Little do they realize the company has more money than the US government, uses sweatshops to build the thing, and nickel and dimes you to death (pay to change the battery out, or examples like Indy's story which I have heard before). For example, would it really be that hard to have a removable battery? No but having to get the battery changed gets you back in the store, and they nail you for $80 on top of it for the privilege.

People are all bent about the iPhone 4S not being the iPhone 5, but it was a brilliant strategy, they did this on purpose, to basically sell a year and a half old phone as new to all the people who were early in their 2 year contract on a 3GS and didn't want to spend top dollar to get a 4. Now they can sell 4S's to those people, and then in 6 months or so put out the 5 so all the people who were early adopters of the 4 will have a new toy.

Its as much knowing the customer as guiding the customer right into your profit center. He was brilliant at it.

dando
10-07-11, 12:31 PM
QFT

I can think of tons of people that are anti-corporate, etc that are so bent on the iPhone its like Steve gave them a free handie with it. Little do they realize the company has more money than the US government, uses sweatshops to build the thing, and nickel and dimes you to death (pay to change the battery out, or examples like Indy's story which I have heard before). For example, would it really be that hard to have a removable battery? No but having to get the battery changed gets you back in the store, and they nail you for $80 on top of it for the privilege.

People are all bent about the iPhone 4S not being the iPhone 5, but it was a brilliant strategy, they did this on purpose, to basically sell a year and a half old phone as new to all the people who were early in their 2 year contract on a 3GS and didn't want to spend top dollar to get a 4. Now they can sell 4S's to those people, and then in 6 months or so put out the 5 so all the people who were early adopters of the 4 will have a new toy.

Its as much knowing the customer as guiding the customer right into your profit center. He was brilliant at it.

And he queued up products for the next four years. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046397/Steve-Jobs-Dying-Apple-boss-left-plans-years-new-products.html)

-Kevin

Corner5
10-07-11, 03:56 PM
"Steve Jobs made computers sexy, usable and cool."

I've always had an Apple computer,I'm on my third one. Love them and the Apple stores.

http://punya.educ.msu.edu/images/isad.jpg

http://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/terminal01/2011/10/6/12/tribute-apple-logo-to-steve-jobs-23223-1317917636-13.jpg

High Sided
10-07-11, 09:29 PM
looks like a good special coming up at the top of the hour on 20/20.
written and sent from my imac, r.i.p. steve ...
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/steve-jobs-death-20-best-quotes/story?id=14681795

Indy
10-08-11, 09:42 PM
All of human society is that way. The BS about individualism is just that, BS. Virtually everything we have is as a result of building on the past, what others have done and cooperative ventures between people. Even Chimps live in a society where any advantage they have is a result of them learning off of and cooperating with each other.

Amen, brother.

Indy
10-08-11, 09:54 PM

Not trying to make a political point here, but what strikes me is that people are protesting "capitalists" who are making money producing nothing, while they revere and mourn the death of a capitalist who most definitely added tremendous value to our society. It seems to me that we could all agree that the contributions of Jobs and Gates and many others who actually created something of value have made this country great, and that we need to encourage our best and brightest to do that, not go for the easy buck on Wall Street.

As more time passes since Jobs' death it is beginning to hit me, and I am suddenly very, very sad about it. We are poorer for his passing, but I think Heaven just got a major upgrade.

Napoleon
10-09-11, 06:47 AM
I hope he succeeds, and I wish Jobs had been given the opportunity to one-up him.

For whatever it is worth, he didn't take his money with him, and I am sure he left a will and/or trust, so it is possible we will now see giving from him.

racer2c
10-10-11, 08:23 AM
steve-jobs-was-a-jerk-good-for-him (http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerbettertech/2011/10/10/steve-jobs-was-a-jerk-good-for-him/)

A slightly different take on Mr Jobs talents.

dando
10-10-11, 09:19 AM
steve-jobs-was-a-jerk-good-for-him (http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerbettertech/2011/10/10/steve-jobs-was-a-jerk-good-for-him/)

A slightly different take on Mr Jobs talents.

Yup. Like I stated previously, quite the contrast to the image he presented and the '84 Super Bowl ad. :saywhat: I worked with a number of peeps in Biz Dev over the years, and Apple was not fun to play with. :irked:

-Kevin

cameraman
10-14-11, 07:33 PM
This is a bit harsh but I like it...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/JobsInHeaven.jpg

BarillaGirl
10-20-11, 10:16 PM
I just saw a program listing on Discovery Channel HD for "iGenius: How Steve Jobs Changed the World" (2011) for tonight. 10 to 11pm Central, check your local listings.

nrc
07-01-15, 12:58 PM
Saw a trailer for "Steve Jobs" the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEr6K1bwIVs

I have mixed feelings about this. Jobs' story could certainly make for a compelling drama and this trailer looks interesting. The problem is that based on the trailer I don't buy Fassbender as Jobs for a second.

It seems like they decided that Fassbender's performance was going to create the character and they didn't have to bother getting the look even close. It's not that I expect a full Steve Jobs latex prosthetic but they didn't even bother to get the hair right.

Ok, great if you can pull it off with a virtuoso performance but I'm not buying that either. It's hard to judge from a trailer but the delivery doesn't seem right to me. It feels like, "What if Steve Jobs had been Christian Bale?"

Who knows, maybe it will work in long form. Between the subject and the highly regarded cast and crew I'm sure it will get Oscar buzz. And if it tanks they can always blame it on Seth Rogan.

dando
07-02-15, 02:23 PM
http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/02/new-steve-jobs-biopic-is-shaping-up-to-be-apples-worst-nightmare/