PDA

View Full Version : Al Unser Jr Newest DWI Arrest Chronicles

Chief
09-29-11, 01:36 PM
Al Jr. DWI (http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/7035001/al-unser-jr-clocked-100-mph-charged-dwi)

Retired American race car driver and two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Al Unser Jr. has been arrested on drunken driving and reckless driving charges in New Mexico.

KRQE-TV reports that the 49-year-old was arrested Thursday morning in Albuquerque, where he lives. Authorities say Unser was drag racing another car in his Suburban and was going over 100 miles per hour. :shakehead

Will IRL let him keep his premo race control gig?

Napoleon
09-29-11, 01:48 PM
I didn't know there was a Classy Chassis (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/race-car-driver-al-unser-jr-busted) in NM you could get hammered at.

Andrew Longman
09-29-11, 02:00 PM
For someone like him, it will end in death, an institution or jail. Factually, there are no other options unless he gets cleaned up.

Maybe this will give him the message before he kills himself or others.

But probably not.

Racing Truth
09-29-11, 02:22 PM
As sad as this is (and it IS) the bigger issue right now is RC. He must be taken out of that role ASAP.

racer2c
09-29-11, 02:23 PM
Wait, you mean you can't drag race drunk in New Mexico? Its a freekin desert! I gotta side with lil Al on this one.

Rogue Leader
09-29-11, 04:48 PM
I'm sure Randy Lanier has room in his cell for an old buddy!

B3RACER1a
09-29-11, 06:30 PM
I didn't know there was a Classy Chassis (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/race-car-driver-al-unser-jr-busted) in NM you could get hammered at.

Close!

La Chassis Clasico

Google translates it to "Chasis Elegante"...LOL!

Chief
09-29-11, 07:09 PM
IndyCar released this statement Thursday afternoon: “IndyCar is aware of the charges and will not be commenting at this time. Al Unser Jr. has been suspended indefinitely and relieved of his duties in Race Control, pending further investigation.”

Nice way to end career... (http://www.racer.com/al-unser-jr-suspended-indefinitely-from-indycar/article/213178/)

BarillaGirl
09-29-11, 07:11 PM
The least violent way to end a racing career. Sheesh, Al. :saywhat:

TKGAngel
09-30-11, 08:35 AM
There was a REALLY interesting series of tweets last night from Tomas Scheckter (sp?) that suggested that Indycar is doing Al a disservice by suspending him in his time of need.

Regardless of what I think of him in his role in race control, I really hope Al wins the fight against his demons.

Corner5
09-30-11, 09:01 AM
I was wondering if he was getting regular drug-testing as part of his job at the Irl. He is a admitted alcoholic and that can impair his decisions. Obviously he is not recovered and should not be in that position.

He needs to continue treatment and work on his sobriety,that is never easy.
Hope he finds a way, so sad.

TravelGal
09-30-11, 03:56 PM
I read some of those tweets. I got the impression that he was looking for general support for Al. I may have missed specific ones about letting him go from Race Control.

My father was an alcoholic. Recovering for many years and not recovering for many years. It was a minute to minute struggle with him. I happen to think that Little Al may have more sense about what should and shouldn't be done than the rest of the people in RC but the constant struggle with alcoholism is all consuming. Especially if he is in the active phase. I add my voice to those who hope and pray he can get his life and his addition under control.

Winston Wolfe
10-02-11, 12:03 PM
As sad as this is (and it IS) the bigger issue right now is RC. He must be taken out of that role ASAP.

He drives the two seater Krapwagen before some of the races, when Mario cant do it cuz he gets a better gig signing stuff elsewhere.
Maybe when AU,Jr drives it, they put in a cupholder ?

Andrew Longman
10-02-11, 12:17 PM
He drives the two seater Krapwagen before some of the races, when Mario cant do it cuz he gets a better gig signing stuff elsewhere.
Maybe when AU,Jr drives it, they put in a cupholder ?Sadly, if you consider that alcoholism is a progressive disease, and that there was plenty of talk about him being hungover when he drove for Penske more than 12 years ago, there is reason to even more strongly suspect he has been still under the influence on mornings-after doing race day ride-alongs.

Many late stage alcoholics do not realize they are still legally unfit to drive well into the following day after a hard night.

No he can't drive.

And he can't do the RC job.

Not when people's lives depend on it.

Michaelhatesfans
10-02-11, 01:43 PM
This guy is on a mission, and no one's going to stop him. I don't see this "battle" ending well.

BarillaGirl
10-04-11, 03:26 PM
This guy is on a mission, and no one's going to stop him. I don't see this "battle" ending well.

These battles usually don't. :(:(:(

High Sided
10-05-11, 03:42 AM
worst thing about active alcoholics is they always think they can drive just fine under the influence. some sad cases even brag about it:thumdown:

i don't feel sorry for little al or any alcoholic that had their life ruined by drinking, better them than an innocent being killed or abused by them.

hopefully this will be enough to lose his driving privileges permanently.

Andrew Longman
10-05-11, 09:50 AM
hopefully this will be enough to lose his driving privileges permanently.Nope

http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/dwi/dwiPenalties.php

6 months to 1 year license revocation (1 year if under 21)
Up to 90 days jail.
Mandatory: DWI school, alcohol evaluation, ignition interlock for 1 year, community service.
Other: treatment

And because he blew a .16 it is considered "aggravated DWI" so:

1st offense, mandatory: additional 2 days jail.In NJ the jail time is almost always waved, but it sounds as if he'll have to do the 2 days anyway.

And he would need a 4th offense for a lifetime ban.

If he is like so many drunks, he will drive anyway, or just use this as just another resentment to justify why his life suck and why he simply has to drink. If it really sucks for him then it is just a really bad resentment and a really good reason to drink. Sounds crazy but that's how the disease works.

Don't worry about him enjoying this though. I'm pretty certain he hasn't enjoyed drinking in a long while and certainly won't now. He is probably miserable if he doesn't drink and miserable if he does.