PDA

View Full Version : Help pick a car for Trevor

Andrew Longman
09-21-11, 03:42 PM
Trev needs a car to get to college. (don't ask why :saywhat:) Boy are we having fun driving around looking at cars. And his sister just got her permit so she feels entitled to be considered too. Serene times in the Longman househould. :gomer:

He found this http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/2608210328.html

Meets many of our objectives, not all of his mother's...

Specific question for the class though is what about the Check Engine Light? I can't pass inspection with that or if it fails emissions.

I talked to the owner -- a very polite young air force airman (he keeps calling me sir) who says he is "getting another scanner which will cancel out the other O2 sensor and solve that"

Hmmm. This is stuff I don't know about. But I have a feeling if I get this car Trevor and I will be spending long hours over and over figuring it out.

Thoughts?

Ankf00
09-21-11, 03:54 PM
CEL could be as simple as the mass airflow sensor, no?

SteveH
09-21-11, 03:57 PM
According to his listing the check engine light is on because of aftermarket headers. Seems to me it will come back on once it is reset.

Quite a few miles on a car that's been modded, you don't do that sort of thing to drive normal.

Andrew Longman
09-21-11, 04:06 PM
According to his listing the check engine light is on because of aftermarket headers. Seems to me it will come back on once it is reset.Maybe. All that pollution control stuff is a mystery to me. Back when I was turning wrenches you just pulled all that stuff off and forgot about it.
Quite a few miles on a car that's been modded, you don't do that sort of thing to drive normal.Yeah. Seems that way yo me too.

I could tell the kid that owns it just loves the car. Doesn't want to give it up but he's shipping out. Claims he drove it everywhere (many Canada, Florida trips) because he loves driving it. But like a kid he doesn't seem too practical.

Gnam
09-21-11, 04:09 PM
Problem might be that the new headers don't have a port for the sensor to thread into, so he didn't re-install it. I agree that the warning light will come back.

If he still has the original headers, you could reinstall them.

How about a pickup truck? High gas bill means less time driving.

Don Quixote
09-21-11, 04:15 PM
Sometimes if you disconnect the battery the check engine light will reset for several starts before it comes on again. That's how my old POS Ford Ranger passed emissions tests for years.

racer2c
09-21-11, 04:24 PM
Dads Acura. :D

Andrew Longman
09-21-11, 04:42 PM
Talked to my man Dan the auto mechanic and he sez:

The scanner reference is to a programmable scanner that can be used to remap the ECU. Changing cams and headers and such will confuse the system and it has to be recalibrated.

His recommendation is to run away.

People do these mods and while you may be able to reprogram to get the CEL off, it usually is a running battle. As weather changes and other sensors age and part wear it can be a nightmare to get the CEL to stay off.

And any normal repair or maintenance can trip it again, and you local mechanic (Him) will then spend and charge for untold hours to get it to turn off.

nrc
09-21-11, 05:27 PM
All I have to add is that I hate that generation of Focus. It's like a Tempo body on a three generations old Focus chasis.

But I agree, stay away from modded cars if you want reliable transportation. Focus or Mazda 3 would probably be good.

NismoZ
09-21-11, 08:36 PM
SPEED3!;)

Andrew Longman
09-22-11, 02:54 PM
We've moved off the Focus. The airman talked his family into storing it while he deploys and isn't selling.

This is today's suggestion from Trevor. It says it comes with plenty of spares but I still think parts might become a problem. As well as room for his sister. :D http://www.vintagemotorsport.com/viewdetail.asp?id=316

Suggestions?

Ankf00
09-22-11, 03:08 PM
Suggestion: yes.

dando
09-22-11, 03:13 PM
We've moved off the Focus. The airman talked his family into storing it while he deploys and isn't selling.

This is today's suggestion from Trevor. It says it comes with plenty of spares but I still think parts might become a problem. As well as room for his sister. :D http://www.vintagemotorsport.com/viewdetail.asp?id=316

Suggestions?

Aren't there some DP01s available? :gomer:

-Kevin

racer2c
09-22-11, 03:31 PM
Best first vehicle IMO; compact pickup (any brand). Can't load them up with friends, ok gas mileage, and comes in handy for pop.

nrc
10-24-11, 12:39 AM
So did you ever get something?

Elmo T
10-24-11, 08:14 AM
Best first vehicle IMO; compact pickup (any brand). Can't load them up with friends, ok gas mileage, and comes in handy for pop.

Hmmm - My Dad steered me to an S-10 pick-up as a kid. :saywhat::laugh:

Andrew Longman
10-24-11, 09:45 PM
So did you ever get something?In hindsight maybe I should have towed home a $500 beater and told him if he and his sister can fix it they can have it. That was a lot of the advice I got anyway. ;)

Trevor and his sister (newly permitted driver ) agreed on a range of objectives, including "Must not be a hatchback, must have good stereo and a Fabreeze holster" -- Melissa (she's actually a normal good kid, really), and "be sporty to drive and able to haul our camping gear and three people on race weekends" -- Trevor.

I wanted to spend less than the insurance claim on the wrecked van, great safety performance, reliable and not a source of constant conflict. And I wanted a decision sometime in this decade.

We found a 2002 VW Passat with an I4 turbo in pretty great condition from a pretty easy and comfortable to deal with dealer in New Hope, PA (Elmo -- I highly recommend this outfit if you know someone in need)

Except that at idle with the turbo dumping out the waste gate Trevor thinks it sounds like "lawn equipment" I'd say we are pleased. Mom at least is relieved of the extra taxi duties she had.

I bought an VW hat in its honor. :gomer:

nrc
10-25-11, 09:42 AM
Seems like a reasonable choice. Hope it holds up for you. :thumbup: