PDA

View Full Version : R.E.M. Breaking Up

Napoleon
09-21-11, 01:49 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/r-e-m-break-up-after-three-decades-20110921

dando
09-21-11, 02:01 PM
Sad news. They were on the list of bands I wanted to see live...and it's a short list.

iCQ0vDAbF7s

-Kevin

racer2c
09-21-11, 02:27 PM
Sad news. They were on the list of bands I wanted to see live...and it's a short list.

-Kevin

You couldn't find time the last 25 years?:gomer:

I would have lost a lot of money if someone had bet me REM was still together.

Ankf00
09-21-11, 02:43 PM
went downhill drastically after bill berry left, but the last album was pretty good.

absolutely loved 80's REM when I was a kid. but I mourned their death a decade ago.

Andrew Longman
09-21-11, 04:01 PM
Sad news. They were on the list of bands I wanted to see live...and it's a short list.I was working in Atlanta in the summer of 1983 and drove out to Athens to visit my cousin. He took me to a bar to see this cool band he loved. They were fabulous. A few weeks later Radio Free Europe (Murmur) was all over the radio. That was cool.

I was struck that they (and U2) seemed to be refreshingly innovative, thoughtful and smart at a time when it seemed there had been at least 5-8 years of absolute trash in popular music (perhaps best exampled by BeeGees/Frampton's interpretation of Sgt Peppers).

No surprise here they lasted so long.

nrc
09-21-11, 04:35 PM
REM was the best backup band Warren Zevon ever had. They were still together? :gomer:

I'm not surprised. They've got money in the bank (if they didn't blow it all) and if their Warner Brothers contract is up (just guessing) then they're looking at a whole different economic reality than when their previous mega-deal. These days "rock star" is a middle class occupation for all but a small minority.

They could grind out tour dates to pay for self-produced stuff that doesn't live up to their own expectations but they can make almost as much sitting at home collecting interest and royalties.

U2 is probably next.

racer2c
09-21-11, 06:01 PM
REM was the best backup band Warren Zevon ever had. They were still together? :gomer:

I'm not surprised. They've got money in the bank (if they didn't blow it all) and if their Warner Brothers contract is up (just guessing) then they're looking at a whole different economic reality than when their previous mega-deal. These days "rock star" is a middle class occupation for all but a small minority.

They could grind out tour dates to pay for self-produced stuff that doesn't live up to their own expectations but they can make almost as much sitting at home collecting interest and royalties.

U2 is probably next.

You hit the nail right on the head there boss. I have friends who clawed, scratched, begged and sold their soul just to be able to say they were a 'signed' act (not self produced). A few of them ended up owing the label money (which isn't uncommon for indie labels). I had a similar opportunity and refused but 'they' "made it", and I didn't'. Do I sound bitter? :)
I'm making $600 a month doing a solo acoustic thing. If I really wanted to squeak out a living being a full time musician I'd form a wedding/hotel band. They make bank. :yuck:

Insomniac
09-21-11, 06:55 PM

Isn't this more appropriate for sad?

pudOFG5X6uA

RTKar
09-21-11, 08:08 PM
Saw them years ago, have a bootleg cassette from a show in a small bar in Madison Wi before they hit it big (awful quality). They defined an era...I enjoyed their early stuff.

chop456
09-21-11, 10:31 PM

iCQ0vDAbF7s

-Kevin

Dude.

They made 4-5 front-to-back stellar albums and that's what you post? :yuck: :saywhat: :laugh: Life's Rich Pageant is an alt-rock cornerstone.

It was over when Green came out, IMO. Like U2, R.E.M has been walking dead for 25 years.

swift
09-22-11, 06:25 PM
I'm partial to their rockin' stuff
roBG7xCCk8k
K1dLr9uyfM0
_mSmOcmk7uQ

honorable mentions: "What's the Frequency,.." & "Radio Song"

never cared for:
-"Its the End of The World..."
-"Man in the Moon"

Napoleon
09-22-11, 07:10 PM
I'm partial to their rockin' stuff

I have to agree with that

dando
09-22-11, 09:09 PM
Dude.

They made 4-5 front-to-back stellar albums and that's what you post? :yuck: :saywhat: :laugh: Life's Rich Pageant is an alt-rock cornerstone.

I figured that was all f00boy would remember. :gomer: :D

-Kevin