PDA

View Full Version : Boy that was boring (Motegi)

Rogue Leader
09-19-11, 09:31 AM
It was a street parade but on a natural terrain roadcourse.

racer2c
09-19-11, 09:48 AM
It was a street parade but on a natural terrain roadcourse.

Worst race ever. My heart goes out to the Japanese fans. At least Miller was in the booth to tell it like it is.:thumbup:

NismoZ
09-19-11, 09:54 AM
Wow, forgot about the whole thing. Did Danica win again?

nrc
09-19-11, 10:10 AM
They switched it from the sacred Montegi oval? Heh.

Rogue Leader
09-19-11, 10:28 AM
They switched it from the sacred Montegi oval? Heh.

The best was Dario in a pre race interview saying "they told us they did this because the oval was damaged, but its not the Oval is in completely perfect condition so I really don't know why we are doing this."

What I didn't know was the road course was designed as a motorcycle track, which is I guess why it sucked for cars. Not that I know much about track design but based on the design, lots of long straights and sweeping turns (since bikes can't make super tight turns) coupled with cars that are basically spec = Parade.

opinionated ow
09-19-11, 10:32 AM
The best was Dario in a pre race interview saying "they told us they did this because the oval was damaged, but its not the Oval is in completely perfect condition so I really don't know why we are doing this."

What I didn't know was the road course was designed as a motorcycle track, which is I guess why it sucked for cars. Not that I know much about track design but based on the design, lots of long straights and sweeping turns (since bikes can't make super tight turns) coupled with cars that are basically spec = Parade.

It's as boring as buggery for motorcycles too...

Rogue Leader
09-19-11, 11:04 AM
It's as boring as buggery for motorcycles too...

The track was in Gran Turismo 4 as well, I don't recall having any exciting races there either... Then again GT4 isn't exactly known for being exciting, just a good driving experience.

devilmaster
09-19-11, 11:14 AM
I watched for a half the race after stumbling through late saturday watching...

was it boring? yes.

What made it even more so was the fact that announce crew obviously didn't make the trip, so there was no play by play, more like Jenkins and Wally jr. sitting around and chatting about the race while watching a sat feed.

There was a point, where they literally stopped talking for a good 15-30 seconds basically because no one cared to continue talking.

It seems though, that the fire barnhart chants are getting louder and even the booth team is questioning them openly. (dario's ill-timed pass attempt at turn 1)

NismoZ
09-19-11, 11:40 AM
Ooo, an il-timed pass attempt!? Now THERE'S excitement! What are you complaining about?:p

devilmaster
09-19-11, 11:58 AM
well, i used to complain that your posts never quoted references(a rule that you always should from the bosses) and I used to complain that your posts never made sense.

I had resolved just to ignore your posts - till now.

Guess I'll just ignore offcamber. ttyl guys.

TKGAngel
09-19-11, 12:28 PM
It seems though, that the fire barnhart chants are getting louder and even the booth team is questioning them openly. (dario's ill-timed pass attempt at turn 1)

Even Helio went on a Twitter rant regarding something Barnhart did or did not do. (I didn't watch the race, so I couldn't tell you anything more specific than that.) Helio even borrowed ye olde circus clown label from Paul Tracy to describe Barnhart. I'm sure he'll be getting a stern talking to about that.

Elmo T
09-19-11, 01:13 PM
Sounds like Indycar needs some fixin'.

Anyone with a current gap in their resume that might be available?

WWTGD?

:tony:

Trevor Longman
09-19-11, 01:34 PM
The track was in Gran Turismo 4 as well, I don't recall having any exciting races there either... Then again GT4 isn't exactly known for being exciting, just a good driving experience.

It was always one of my least favorite tracks in GT4. Just ahead of Hong Kong and Tsukuba Wet! :laugh:

Trevor Longman
09-19-11, 01:37 PM
Even Helio went on a Twitter rant regarding something Barnhart did or did not do. (I didn't watch the race, so I couldn't tell you anything more specific than that.) Helio even borrowed ye olde circus clown label from Paul Tracy to describe Barnhart. I'm sure he'll be getting a stern talking to about that.

He called Barnhart a circus clown and then said that those comments would probably cost him $50,000 and get him put on triple-secret probation. :laugh:

Chief
09-19-11, 02:32 PM
What an absolute mistake...I watched it.

let me tell you....there isn't enough alcohol in the world to make that crap palatable. It was so bad, on another TV input I was playing a 1987 CART race grabbed off of youtube, and I was switching between the two to see what has really changed...

Look, I respect Bob Jenkins, Jon Bekhuis, Wally and Robin...I do. But, the only noble thing to do after that broadcast is to Hari-kari themselves and rid the AOW world of that putrid broadcast performance, now and for the future. It was like Mystery Science Theater for the IRL Absurd. If IMS thinks this is what will draw new fans to the sport then I encourage them to continue the farce as it will hasten the death of AOW...which is needed after Motegi.

The IRL race stunk (like they always do). However, the 1987 CART race was spectacular and even featured Larry Neuber and Bob Jenkins announcing (I know, it shocked me to because Jenkins is a boob).

C23wW9omk24

indyfan31
09-19-11, 03:19 PM

Was he actually penalized for passing during a yellow flag? If so, the irony is absolutely delicious. :gomer:

patski
09-19-11, 03:24 PM
Tnks Chief! Those were the days.

JohnHKart
09-19-11, 09:26 PM
I know whenever I watch the Irl, when I'm done I know I've just wasted part of my life and after almost losing my life at Reno on Friday I can't do this anymore.

Indy
09-20-11, 09:38 AM
Chief, when I started to watch that I could SMELL Road America. Thanks for the reminder.

Chief
09-20-11, 12:00 PM
Watching the two races together, several things popped out immediately...

- The IRL car has a generic camera mount location...all angles look the same. Incredibly boring. Side mounted cameras etc. conveyed speed. What ever happened to them?

- Shifting, the lost art.

- Spec chassis and engine removed any variability in competition. 1987 way better.

- 1987, the race was serious. 2011, the race was a sideshow to the idiotic banter from the announcers.

- High definition has seemingly ruined viewing enjoyment. Long camera shots either don't exist or lack the depth needed to convey speed. It was there in standard def. It was even there in the earliest HD captured by HDNet with Champcar. What happened, lazy cheap assed production values?

- The racing...what racing?

If any of this is considered 'evolution', there is no hope for this sport.

Michaelhatesfans
09-20-11, 12:41 PM
You guys who watch that des erve what you get. No sympathy. Like you weren't warned?

Rogue Leader
09-20-11, 01:11 PM
- High definition has seemingly ruined viewing enjoyment. Long camera shots either don't exist or lack the depth needed to convey speed. It was there in standard def. It was even there in the earliest HD captured by HDNet with Champcar. What happened, lazy cheap assed production values?

I think that was just the suckiness of the track. I noticed the same thing on this one it seemed like they were on a pace lap the whole time. Its mainly because its just a flat, long, featureless track with a lot of straightaways and long wide turns. Street races and other places definitely look like they are actually going fast.

chop456
09-20-11, 01:24 PM
You guys who watch that des erve what you get. No sympathy. Like you weren't warned?

No ****! :laugh:

Maybe I'll listen to that Celine Dion album one more time just to make sure it sucks.

racer2c
09-20-11, 01:57 PM
The track blew but when 1 second covers the field its not so much the track as crappy spec racing which is the one thing the IRL does to perfection.:thumdown:

SteveH
09-20-11, 02:53 PM
No ****! :laugh:

Maybe I'll listen to that Celine Dion album one more time just to make sure it sucks.

Which album do you have?

Don Quixote
09-20-11, 03:04 PM
Which album do you have?Dion sings Zevon

Chief
09-20-11, 05:27 PM
Not asking for sympathy, just relaying experience. It's worserer than ever. :P

Steve99
09-20-11, 05:36 PM
Street races and other places definitely look like they are actually going fast.
I don't think those ugly things ever look like they are going fast.

Rogue Leader
09-21-11, 01:49 PM

Ok how about "relatively fast" :D

NismoZ
09-22-11, 05:57 PM
relative to DPs?

Rogue Leader
09-22-11, 06:14 PM
relative to DPs?

I was gonna say Bicycles but sure DP's it is!

Chief
09-23-11, 09:35 AM
mOntegi a big hit with the fan base...apparently registered a < 0.09 for TV ratings.:thumbup:

TravelGal
09-23-11, 09:57 AM
He called Barnhart a circus clown and then said that those comments would probably cost him $50,000 and get him put on triple-secret probation. :laugh:

Just to clarify, PT called out Chris Kneifel, saying a circus clown could do better. Still cost him the $50,000 though.

The race, rather the officiating and the lack thereof, was beneath contempt. I've said before and I'll say again, they should just declare Dario the winner and not even run the rest of the races. The points manipulation by Barnhart is so obvious. Yessssssss, Dario's behind now but nothing like he should be if there had been a consistent penatly. And there are still two ovals to go.

Then there was Bob Jenkins saying that Power was reeling in Dixon as the intervals showed him going from .7 to .9 to 1.2 behind. Too many White Castles, I guess. :gomer:

Anteater
09-23-11, 11:19 PM

relative to DPs?

I was gonna say Bicycles but sure DP's it is!

How about this for relative:

Formula Nippon pole at Motegi in August: 1:35.012
http://www.f-nippon.co.jp/fn/en/race/2011/1104/1104_qresult.shtml

ICS pole at Motegi in September: 1:38.3918
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-dixon-motors-to-pole-in-motegi1/

And the F.Nippon car looks better, too! :laugh:

NismoZ
09-25-11, 12:12 AM
YESS! How many damn times did I cite F-Nippon when IndyCar was looking for a new ride!? SWIFT, for cryin' out loud! Made in the USA, but Dallara was going to move a whole damn factory to Indy! Did they? Thanx for the comparo, no surprise at all!:mad: