PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone

nrc
09-17-11, 02:45 AM
Missy and I finally made our long-planned trip to Yellowstone last week. Anticipating that there might be some scenery I ordered a Pentax K-r DSLR prior to the trip. Long story on the choice, but I'm very happy with it.

I didn't have time to go through remedial SLR training prior to the trip so I mostly left it on auto, but I thought I'd share a few of my favorite shots from the trip.

First shot is actually Red Rocks at Denver. Second is an interesting train spotted in Wyoming near Thermopolis. Can anyone id the cargo?

nrc
09-17-11, 02:56 AM
Few more (geesh, stupid attachment limits. :D ).

Michaelhatesfans
09-17-11, 03:14 AM
Cool! We were there in late July - some of those angles look very familiar! Hope you had as fun as we did!

Kiwifan
09-17-11, 05:23 AM
That's so cool Boss! It's on my wish list to visit Yellowstone sometime. I've got a KR too and took it to Yosemite and the Grand Canyon. Got some cool pics even for a novice. :)

What lens have you got?

indyfan31
09-17-11, 04:57 PM
Nice shots nrc, the pools look amazing. I gotta go there.

Kiwifan
09-18-11, 01:16 AM
Richard! Are you playing with it again? ;)

SteveH
09-18-11, 10:41 AM
Was there a month ago, it is indeed a special place.

trish
09-18-11, 10:57 AM
I love the third picture in your opening post.

Wally
09-18-11, 11:53 AM
It's the BNSF hauling what looks to be a 737 bound for Boeing?

KLang
09-18-11, 12:29 PM
Spent a day and half in Yellowstone back in about 1985. Wonderful place, I look forward to a more leisurely visit some day.

Great photos.

Trevor Longman
09-18-11, 12:53 PM

Thats what it looks like to me. Actually a pretty rare catch. They don't haul too many of those.

nrc
09-18-11, 02:39 PM
That's so cool Boss! It's on my wish list to visit Yellowstone sometime. I've got a KR too and took it to Yosemite and the Grand Canyon. Got some cool pics even for a novice. :)

What lens have you got?

We got the 18-55mm DAL lens that they sell as a package with the body. Seems like a good general purpose lens. Longer zoom would be nice, but I didn't want to lug one around for this trip.

Richard! Are you playing with it again? ;)

Um.. wha? :confused:

nrc
09-18-11, 03:20 PM

That's it. We were driving through this canyon near Thermopolis on the way to Yellowstone and came across it. It was fascinating seeing a train following what looked like a model railroad track along the canyon, but then we saw the fuselage and it was kind of surreal.

I wasn't aware that 737s are shipped from Kansas to Washington for final assembly. Pretty neat to see it since we flew Southwest (all 737s) on the trip.

Cool video of the assembly process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1pL59B7Zss

Kiwifan
09-18-11, 03:37 PM
I meant your camera, you were just a bit "tardy" replying here. ;)

I was lucky enough to get the twins lens kit but it is taking a little bit to get used to after my Panasonic Optical/Digital zoom. Having said that the camera takes great photos. I love the way it fits so nicely in the hand.

Still learning with the camera and often head over to the Pentax forum where they have a dedicated KR section and beginners section. (I'm mostly there. Lol)

Only thing that annoyed me was the lack of a lens hood. Got an aftermarket one for $NZ50 but it's just a rubber pop out one and not that great. Enjoy the camera.

nrc
09-18-11, 03:45 PM
And oh, by the way. If you do happen to plan a trip and you're looking for someplace to stay, we stayed at the Shoshone Lodge and Guest Ranch which is just a few miles east of the east entrance. Beautiful, peaceful setting, good food, comfortable cabins, and very friendly, helpful management.

http://www.shoshonelodge.com

Kiwifan
09-18-11, 04:37 PM
Thanks for that, looks fantastic. We stayed in the cabins at Yosemite and felt so lucky, sun out, snow on the ground and friendly squirrels. :) You have an amazing (and photogenic) country.

TrueBrit
09-18-11, 08:07 PM
I love the whole WGAF attitude of the bison in the park...

cameraman
09-18-11, 10:29 PM
Those bison can care a whole lot should they feel the urge.

SteveH
09-18-11, 11:03 PM
When I was there last month I was given a piece of paper upon entry warning to stay away from bison as they had gored several recently. Later in the the day a park ranger told me it was the bison's mating season and that was causing the problems.

So you are right about those urges. ;)

nrc
09-18-11, 11:24 PM
I love the whole WGAF attitude of the bison in the park...

It was fascinating to watch them go about their business creating traffic jams and generally ignoring the tourists for most of the week, but a lot of tourists are stupid enough to think that means they're docile. We saw people getting way too close on more than one occasion.

The last evening we got caught in the middle of a major migration across the road. It was fun to watch the cows trying to keep track of their calves and the bulls trying to keep the other bulls away from their cows.

racer2c
09-18-11, 11:44 PM
Fantastic pictures! Totally jealous! :thumbup:

Napoleon
09-27-11, 03:50 PM
Did you see any of this?

aOdSvMvvyY8

TravelGal
09-27-11, 04:11 PM
And oh, by the way. If you do happen to plan a trip and you're looking for someplace to stay, we stayed at the Shoshone Lodge and Guest Ranch which is just a few miles east of the east entrance. Beautiful, peaceful setting, good food, comfortable cabins, and very friendly, helpful management.

http://www.shoshonelodge.com

Thanks, boss. ;) I've read about this place. Good press. Appreciate the confirmation. Hope to make it there someday. Or even to Yosemite. :cry:

dando
09-27-11, 04:38 PM
Or even to Yosemite. :cry:

Run. Do not walk to visit Yosemite. Even as beautiful as they are, Ansel's Yosemite pics do not do the park justice. And the drive into and out of the canyon is simply breathtaking (imagine a tour bus doing death man's curve over and over and over again).

-Kevin

Kiwifan
09-28-11, 03:13 PM
Or even to Yosemite. :cry:

BTDT, ;) You will love it Marge, Lesley is already talking about going back. :-O

dando
09-28-11, 06:16 PM
BTDT, ;) You will love it Marge, Lesley is already talking about going back. :-O

Rusty, sadly I only spent a few hours in the park, but it is simply amazing. Feeling the mist from Bridal Veil Falls, seeing Half Dome, and watching climbers on El Capitan was simply amazing. I could spend weeks there roaming the park, and it's 1/10th the size of Yellowstone. If you haven't yet, rent or buy Ken Burns' American Parks series. Magic.

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
10-02-11, 03:12 PM
Thanks, boss. ;) I've read about this place. Good press. Appreciate the confirmation. Hope to make it there someday. Or even to Yosemite. :cry:

TravelGal, we wanted to stay in the park, but the days we were going were already booked at the Old Faithful Inn, so this was the alternative. I'm actually happier that we stayed at Shosone than I'd have been in the park. The park "villages" were pretty commercial. I liked that the cabin didn't have a television but we still had wireless. It was less tempting to get online than it would have been to turn on the TV in the evening. Food was great, the people were so friendly. Shoshone also offered trail rides, which I loved. (Richard had no interest and slept in...) I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

The only thing I'd want to do differently is to fly into Jackson or Billings and rent a car from there. It was just a shame to lose two days traveling to and from Denver, but it was still a beautiful drive.