PDA

View Full Version : Old PC Software acquisition

stroker
09-15-11, 05:26 PM
Call me a dinosaur, but I'm not much for newer PC games. I like Doom II and Warcraft II. I'm needing to replace my discs at some point, but I'm leery of buying from places like Amazon for fear of getting cheap knock-off clones. Any way to ensure I'm buying original products that I can register?

KLang
09-15-11, 05:36 PM
Why would you be afraid to buy from Amazon? I buy all kinds of stuff, both cheap and expensive, and have never received anything sub-standard.

dando
09-15-11, 08:25 PM
Dude, the only issues you will have with games or software from Amazon or sites like Gamestop is buying used. I've never had any issues with games, etc, purchased through Amazon or one of their affiliates new, used or refurb.

-Kevin

devilmaster
09-15-11, 08:31 PM
if its about saving the original discs, might i recommend gamecopyworld.

most older games will have a no-cd executable file at their website. which means you replace the game file on your computer with the one from gcw. it wont look for the cd anymore when you run the game and the games run the same.

Insomniac
09-16-11, 08:54 AM
Also, given the age of the software, there may be programs (CloneCD?) that can make copies that also bring the copy protection with it if you like the CD spinning all the time. ;)

racer2c
09-16-11, 09:22 AM
I can tell you how those games end if you want. :)

Rogue Leader
09-16-11, 09:26 AM
If you like old PC Games (from like the mid-late 90's) I have a ton I'm about to ebay, i can give you a list see if theres any you want.

BarillaGirl
09-16-11, 05:18 PM
Gee, while we're talking about such things, does anyone have a Macintosh program disk for the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game? My first husband's little brother borrowed it at least 21 years ago, and I highly doubt it's coming back. :(

G.
09-17-11, 03:35 AM
If you like old games, you may want to consider getting a Steam account. They have all sorts of old games for cheap. Not sure what Doom II would cost at Amazon, but it's $10 at Stream.

No CD though, but you can play it on any computer once you buy it/DL it.

Steam does have it's detractors, since it's basically a thinly veiled DRM, but with cheap games, then the occasional freebies...

I signed up when I bought the OrangeBox. They threw in a couple more games for free.