PDA

View Full Version : As if you needed more proof Daytona prototypes are ugly pigs

Rogue Leader
09-07-11, 08:51 PM
Limerock park is hosting the NASCAR Whelan Pro-Mod tour and in an advertisement email they compared the car to a Daytona Prototype:

Think about this, as we compare a Grand-Am Daytona Prototype sports car to a Whelen Modified at Lime Rock:

* A Daytona Prototype makes 500 h.p., weighs around 2,400 lbs. and is aerodynamically efficient. It uses a sophisticated 5- or 6-speed sequential shift gearbox

* A Whelen Modified makes 600 h.p., weighs around 2,600 lbs. and is as aerodynamically efficient as a barn door. The gearbox is a 4-speed Jericho, with first gear removed for Lime Rock

* A Grand-Am DP has an average lap speed of a bit more than 110 mph at Lime Rock Park; not far behind, a Whelen Mod has an average lap speed of a bit more than 102 mph.

* The DP lap time is a tick under 49 seconds; the Mod does it in 53 seconds flat

* At the apex of the Downhill, a DP is going 124 mph; the Mod around 116 mph

* The DP reaches 161 mph on the front straight, the Mod 148 mph

For the record, Szegedy took pole position for Lime Rock’s Whelen Modified race last year. He told us, “I love the Daytona Prototypes, great cars. Man, I’d love to drive one. But I tell you, if you gave me a set of really sticky tires and a road-race tranny for my Wisk Ford, I could easily take 2.5 seconds, maybe more, off my lap times. Watch out, DP drivers...”

So a car thats "aerodynamically as efficient as a barn door", and heavier, could run the same lap times given a better transmission. Aside from the fact an Audi R8 running on 7 cylinders would shellac them both.

chop456
09-08-11, 01:15 AM
Don't you know it's about the competitors? :gomer:

Indy
09-08-11, 02:54 AM
It's a joke, and everyone knows it because road racing fans are not as dumb as NASCAR fans. The IRL is the same deal -- pretend race cars for buy-a-rides and rich hobbyists. And now they are going to dumb down F1? It may be time to just give up altogether. Golf is nice.

opinionated ow
09-08-11, 04:08 AM
Mods on a road course?!? I'd pay to see that...

Andrew Longman
09-08-11, 03:16 PM
Mods on a road course?!? I'd pay to see that...They used to run on Cup weekends at the Glen. They were cool.

Problem was they were faster than the Cup guys.

NismoZ
10-05-11, 09:26 PM
So was Trans Am...MAJORLY! So, how does an Aussie V-8 stack up power to weight wise? Has there ever been a direct comparison? Has Marcos ever commented on it?

opinionated ow
10-05-11, 11:34 PM
So was Trans Am...MAJORLY! So, how does an Aussie V-8 stack up power to weight wise? Has there ever been a direct comparison? Has Marcos ever commented on it?

The aussie touring cars are about 650 bhp and weight 1355kg. They run a sequential 6 speed with spark interrupt so that they don't use the clutch coupled to a 5l pushrod rev limited (to 7500) ford or chev v8.

NismoZ
10-07-11, 09:50 PM
And a NASCAB is 3,400 lbs./ 358 ci/850 hp/ @ 9000 rpm/ 4spd. .....So a NASCAB has +200 hp, but also is 419 lbs. heavier with only a 4 spd. So 4 lb/hp for N'CABs and 4.6 lb/hp for the S'cars. The slick 6 spd. makes up for the slight weight disadvantage? On road courses.

emjaya
10-10-11, 09:48 AM
And a NASCAB is 3,400 lbs./ 358 ci/850 hp/ @ 9000 rpm/ 4spd. .....So a NASCAB has +200 hp, but also is 419 lbs. heavier with only a 4 spd. So 4 lb/hp for N'CABs and 4.6 lb/hp for the S'cars. The slick 6 spd. makes up for the slight weight disadvantage? On road courses.

The Australian NASCARs and V8's both raced at Bathurst in 1998, albeit about a month apart.

Fastest lap for NASCAR was a 2:20; fastest lap for the V8's was a 2:12 by Craig Lowndes. The V8's have been slowed down a lot since then, but are doing 2:09s this year.

Also, the V8's have never officially been allowed to go over 300kph/185mph on Conrod, in 1998 the NASCARS were doing over 200mph or so i have been told.