PDA

View Full Version : Balmer GP

Elmo T
09-01-11, 10:17 PM
I miss The Wire. Stringer Bell had a better business plan than the IRL and look where it got him. :rolleyes:

In other news... off to a bumpy start.

IndyCar drivers find flaws in Baltimore Grand Prix race course (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/auto-racing/baltimore-grand-prix/bs-sp-track-0902-20110901,0,5160957.story)

TravelGal
09-02-11, 01:45 AM
Shades of the first San Jose where the word was that RHR parked it because it was too bumpy over the tracks. :rolleyes:

Ed_Severson
09-02-11, 10:19 AM
Gonna be an expensive weekend ...

Ed_Severson
09-02-11, 11:08 AM
Just heard about this ... apparently Danica and Carpenter will pit driver's left, and the other 26 cars pit driver's right. What a disaster. Here's hoping nobody gets killed.

RTKar
09-02-11, 11:12 AM
I wonder how many competition yellows there will be in this event?

Slow the cars down for a portion of the race so they don't fall apart or fly off the track.

Trevor Longman
09-02-11, 12:21 PM
Just heard about this ... apparently Danica and Carpenter will pit driver's left, and the other 26 cars pit driver's right. What a disaster. Here's hoping nobody gets killed.

WHAT?! You mean like on the opposite side of pit road? Are they nuts?!

Ed_Severson
09-02-11, 12:30 PM
Yes, and apparently, yes.

At pit in, first pit driver's left is #67, then #7 beyond. Or, driver's right, it's #26, #14, #07, and #28, then a 10-foot break, and the remaining 22 proceed along the right side to pit out. Here's the PDF (http://www.indycar.com/var/assets/%2711%20Baltimore%20Pit%20Lane.pdf) for clarification.

Basically, for the first 70 feet at pit in, there are pit stalls on both sides. No idea how much lateral space there is between them. Each pitbox is 35 feet long ... everyone gripes about the small pitboxes at Milwaukee, and those are (I think) 36 feet. If they put all 28 on one side, they'd be 32.5 feet each.

Seems like a bad problem with a worse solution.

TKGAngel
09-02-11, 12:45 PM
Here's a pic showing Tag checking out the track bumps. http://yfrog.com/ki1gwoyj

Between the pit follies and the track bumps, this has the potential to be a nightmare of epic proportions.

cameraman
09-02-11, 01:00 PM
WHAT?! You mean like on the opposite side of pit road? Are they nuts?!

The FIA approved this???

G.
09-02-11, 01:16 PM
I have never wanted Versus so much in my life.

:laugh:

Ed_Severson
09-02-11, 01:16 PM
The FIA approved this???

Not sure they have to. I'm having a hard time finding info and it's been quite a while since a topic like this came up, but I don't think the FIA has any involvement in approving circuits for IndyCar unless the race is held outside the US. Might be wrong about that, though.

And I assume when this was originally configured, 28 cars would have been a bit of a surprise. At 26, they'd have had a conventional pitlane setup, albeit one with short boxes. Whether they made this plan 60 days ago or 60 hours ago, I have no idea.

dando
09-02-11, 01:17 PM
OK, my solution to this fuster cluck is to make the race part of the summer Xgames and include a track jump ala San Josie. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Rogue Leader
09-02-11, 01:29 PM
Not sure they have to. I'm having a hard time finding info and it's been quite a while since a topic like this came up, but I don't think the FIA has any involvement in approving circuits for IndyCar unless the race is held outside the US. Might be wrong about that, though.

And I assume when this was originally configured, 28 cars would have been a bit of a surprise. At 26, they'd have had a conventional pitlane setup, albeit one with short boxes. Whether they made this plan 60 days ago or 60 hours ago, I have no idea.

AFAIK FIA holds the overall sanctioning of most pro race series in any country including NASCAR. That said, I don't think they involve themselves much with day to day operation but instead trust the series to make the right choices. I could be wrong though....

Rogue Leader
09-02-11, 01:31 PM
ALMS guys are posting on facebook that their practice and qualifying is very much delayed and shortened thanks to the track still being worked on as of right now.

I agree, I really hope someone doesn't die this weekend. And on a secondary worry I hope a bunch of teams that don't have very much bread to begin with don't have to go home with bent cars on both the ALMS and IndyCar side.

Ed_Severson
09-02-11, 01:34 PM
Again, I may be very wrong about this, but I think for domestic circuits, so long as no series that the FIA directly sanctions runs there, they pretty much leave approval up to ACCUS, which is the US representative to the FIA.

Reaching out to a few people to hopefully get some clarification on this.

Rogue Leader
09-02-11, 01:36 PM
Again, I may be very wrong about this, but I think for domestic circuits, so long as no series that the FIA directly sanctions runs there, they pretty much leave approval up to ACCUS, which is the US representative to the FIA.

Reaching out to a few people to hopefully get some clarification on this.

That sounds right IIRC...

Trevor Longman
09-02-11, 02:21 PM
Posted to twitter by one of the ALMS drivers. :laugh:

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg861/scaled.php?tn=0&server=861&filename=jfgi.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

TravelGal
09-02-11, 03:35 PM
The FIA approved this???

More like the FAA.

According to unreliable sources, the delay is because they are replacing fencing that was removed in advance of Hurricane Irene. They were still working on the track surface last night, but that is nothing unusual. This, they should have gotten to earlier.

NismoZ
09-02-11, 04:56 PM
I'm with G. I REALLY DO want to see this one! Bets on T-1, L-1? Haven't felt this kind of anticipation since Cleveland!

RTKar
09-02-11, 05:36 PM
Where's the Indy Hot Wheel jump thing? Set it up and just fly over the problem areas.

JoeBob
09-02-11, 09:56 PM
On the plus side, the locals are thrilled: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&note_id=271943882834985&id=257960267566680

Or maybe not...

nissan gtp
09-02-11, 10:07 PM
here's a short (and crappy) vid showing the eggceptional performance of a crapwagon on the streets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1iKgvO9fCA

TravelGal
09-03-11, 01:34 AM
On the plus side, the locals are thrilled: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&note_id=271943882834985&id=257960267566680

Or maybe not...

Give it 30 years. (har har). It took me a week to find Fri/Sat hotel accom in Long Beach for some (deluded) clients for next April.

High Sided
09-03-11, 09:15 AM
preview.....
http://www.speedtv.com//video/auto-racing/indycar-baltimore-practice-2011-1141223417001/1

racer2c
09-03-11, 10:05 AM
I don't know what the big deal is. Why don't they just slow down to go over the railroad tracks like most of us do. :)

racer2c
09-03-11, 10:14 AM
preview.....
http://www.speedtv.com//video/auto-racing/indycar-baltimore-practice-2011-1141223417001/1

Did I catch a glimpse of F1 style over head air hose arms in that clip?

For 20 years when I lived in DC I had to drive/fly all over the country to see champ car. Then I move to FL and the irl is an hour south of DC in Richmond and an hour north in Baltimore. Glad I moved! :D

High Sided
09-03-11, 12:12 PM
Did I catch a glimpse of F1 style over head air hose arms in that clip?

looks like pit markers for the alms boys.

alms baltimore preview/qualifying videos...
http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=video

alms race live....
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/226211/

Napoleon
09-04-11, 08:18 AM
More great press for the IRL. NPR News at the top of the hour, that admittedly I was not listening to at first, basically was about how the city blew a ton of money to bring the IRL/racing to the city and that many think it is a waste.

racer2c
09-04-11, 09:28 AM
More great press for the IRL. NPR News at the top of the hour, that admittedly I was not listening to at first, basically was about how the city blew a ton of money to bring the IRL/racing to the city and that many think it is a waste.

And that is a surprise coming from NPR? :rolleyes:

Now if they raced Prius's (or is that Pri'i?).

NismoZ
09-04-11, 09:51 AM
TK says Helio saved his life Sat. by becoming a moving speed bump as Kanaan VAULTED over him in a breaking zone and into the tires in the runoff. :eek: Have to agree, if Helio had not been "in the way" that could have been a disaster! Maybe I really DON'T want to see this one.

NismoZ
09-04-11, 10:13 AM
AND...Simona starts 12th, Danica 25th. About the way I've had it figured, Simona is a little more than twice as good.;) Also up front: Penske, Chip, Penske, Chip...COYNE!:cool: That new guy from France must be pretty good!

TKGAngel
09-04-11, 11:06 AM
TK says Helio saved his life Sat. by becoming a moving speed bump as Kanaan VAULTED over him in a breaking zone and into the tires in the runoff. :eek: Have to agree, if Helio had not been "in the way" that could have been a disaster! Maybe I really DON'T want to see this one.

5hNZmxHcCq0

:eek: :eek:

I'm also betting that the corner worker that you can see diving for cover is looking for a new pair of drawers. This wreck came awfully close to not having a happy ending.

Napoleon
09-04-11, 11:30 AM
And that is a surprise coming from NPR? :rolleyes:

Now if they raced Prius's (or is that Pri'i?).

The story was about how locals were complaining about using tax dollars when there are more pressing demands. It had nothing to do what was being raced, or for that matter what type of sport it way, though I suspect if it was something that brought 100k downtown their complaints would have less traction).

Elmo T
09-04-11, 01:13 PM
I'm also betting that the corner worker that you can see diving for cover is looking for a new pair of drawers. \

He looked way out of place and in the line of fire there. :saywhat: :shakehead

cameraman
09-04-11, 01:44 PM
I'm also betting that the corner worker that you can see diving for cover is looking for a new pair of drawers. This wreck came awfully close to not having a happy ending.

What the hell was he doing there in the first place? Since when are corner workers totally exposed like that?

trish
09-04-11, 02:09 PM
Earthquake, Hurricane, and now IndyCar.

trish
09-04-11, 02:42 PM
That anthem brought tears to my eyes.

trish
09-04-11, 03:17 PM
I think they did a good job with the track.

Trevor Longman
09-04-11, 04:06 PM
Well I have no clue what Briscoe was thinking there. Typical IRL cluster**** at the hairpin. :laugh:

cameraman
09-04-11, 05:24 PM
That anthem brought tears to my eyes.

Taking it to a new level of abysmal?

NismoZ
09-04-11, 05:53 PM
No, the only abysmal I saw was Brisco's punt. Without that it was pretty good. Crowd, track (surprise) and race. Power is SO good. Is there anyone here who didn't know that after the Las Vegas ChampCar race!? For IndyCar it looked to me to be a big success. I just hope they don't let Danica's pass of RHR on the last lap local yellow stand...IF that's what happened. And TK? From almost killed-to a last row start-to a 3rd place finish! All in a day's work. Good for him.

trish
09-04-11, 06:39 PM
Off topic, but what was the reason given for racing the road course in Japan instead of the oval?

Tifosi24
09-04-11, 07:13 PM
Off topic, but what was the reason given for racing the road course in Japan instead of the oval?

I think I remember reading on autosport several weeks back that there was damage related to the earthquake. I might be wrong though.

High Sided
09-04-11, 07:15 PM
^^^:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
the oval sustained to much damage...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/722976-indycar-series-japan-race-moves-from-oval-to-road-course

JoeBob
09-04-11, 09:50 PM
I'm waiting for the explanation as to why they went green with a safety truck still on the track (and heading the wrong way!) They ran the first lap of the race under caution. But rather than run lap 2 under yellow, they went for this thrill show:
sHuIb2e5Nh0

SteveH
09-04-11, 10:35 PM
So much potential

cameraman
09-04-11, 10:49 PM
The view from the driver's side.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4381/ftgbb.jpg

Indy
09-04-11, 11:27 PM
That was the start? WTF?!?!?!

cameraman
09-04-11, 11:46 PM
I guess they rolled the field while crews were working on one of the tire barriers, using the trucks to push the tires into position. They finished the parade lap and stayed yellow for another lap and then they went green, too bad the truck(s) was still on the track. If you look at the very start of the video you'll see the second truck back off the track just before the cars appear.

People need to be fired for crap like that.

nissan gtp
09-05-11, 08:06 AM
I'm waiting for the explanation as to why they went green with a safety truck still on the track (and heading the wrong way!) They ran the first lap of the race under caution. But rather than run lap 2 under yellow, they went for this thrill show:
sHuIb2e5Nh0

:eek: plenty of room ?

High Sided
09-05-11, 09:01 AM
the view from the other side of the track....

a7MF60GPOPM

chop456
09-05-11, 11:20 AM
I'm waiting for the explanation as to why they went green with a safety truck still on the track (and heading the wrong way!)

Because they're utterly incompetent boobs incapable of running or officiating a racing series?

That should be multiple choice 'E' in any question concerning them.

Looks like they avoided a squazillion dollar lawsuit by dumb luck.

Wheel-Nut
09-05-11, 11:31 AM
Pardon the interruption - I just need to flush that hideous sound and sight from my senses. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmmBjE1HdUs

NismoZ
09-05-11, 12:05 PM
Holy CRAP!! That wrecks the whole damn thing for me! Any of the good stuff I noted earlier pales in comparison. Let me guess, "the booth" again!? Seems they forgot to mention, or show, any of that on the broadcast.:shakehead Yep, the excitement of IndyCar!:irked:

devilmaster
09-05-11, 12:43 PM
I don't have my copy handy, but doesn't the Skip Barber textbook have a story by Danny Sullivan about how some driver died because he drove into the back of an ambulance at Mosport? :confused:

Indy
09-05-11, 02:01 PM
Yes, Champ Car sounded good, but CART sounded great, and THIS, well, being there is like listening to the voice of God. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLAd55jWb-g&feature=related

High Sided
09-05-11, 05:01 PM
from above :shakehead

V-WtU2ONNjw

Elmo T
09-05-11, 06:18 PM
from above :shakehead

I thought maybe the first photo was an optical illusion - making them look closer than they were.... I was wrong. :shakehead

TedN
09-05-11, 06:58 PM
I don't have my copy handy, but doesn't the Skip Barber textbook have a story by Danny Sullivan about how some driver died because he drove into the back of an ambulance at Mosport? :confused:

Unfortunately I recall that dreary day.

Link (http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=1934)

Ted

Michaelhatesfans
09-05-11, 09:42 PM
People need to be fired for crap like that.
Absolutely. That is 100% completely inexcusable. Not one radio on the whole ****ing track? Incompetence in the front office is one thing, incompetence at running a hot track is quite another. How many near misses and lucky breaks do they need before significant changes are made? Heads need to roll in race control, because they were damned lucky not to have had heads rolling across the track or flying into the stands because of the children in race control.:flame:

Napoleon
09-06-11, 06:06 AM
Not one radio on the whole ****ing track?

Almost worse then that, since before radios they simply ran lines to the stations, so radios are not a precondition to making sure the track is clear. They apparently do not have an idiot proof system to make sure the track is clear. I swear in the SCCA (and I recall this from being in the tow truck being hauled through the paddock) when race control thinks it is clear they make the stations run through all clear in order. (i.e. "Station One here, all clear.""Station Two, all clear." Etc.)

NismoZ
09-06-11, 10:39 AM
That overhead shot ices it! Is ANYone in the media, let alone the SPORTS media even discussing this? I remember the shot of the truck backing into the tire bundle, pushing it into position but had no idea he had such a long way to go to clear the track. The way it played out, even with the field approaching the start, never even occurred to me! PS-nice viewing spot!:D

Chief
09-06-11, 12:29 PM
Naaah, they are too busy gloating over the 0.43 and the single file action at the Long Beach of the east. :shakehead

Rogue Leader
09-06-11, 02:45 PM
That overhead shot ices it! Is ANYone in the media, let alone the SPORTS media even discussing this? I remember the shot of the truck backing into the tire bundle, pushing it into position but had no idea he had such a long way to go to clear the track. The way it played out, even with the field approaching the start, never even occurred to me! PS-nice viewing spot!:D

Autoweek has an article that mentions it very matter-of-factly like "oops guess what happened." instead of "are you f-ing kidding me look at what happened!"

Gnam
09-06-11, 03:31 PM
"thrill show" indeed. :shakehead

Some things never change. The IRL is unsafe at any track, at any time, at any speed.

High Sided
09-06-11, 08:05 PM
Rahals take by robin miller

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-rahal-almost-meets-his-maker-in-baltimore/

RTKar
09-06-11, 09:13 PM
The "buck" should stop at the head of race control. PERIOD.

I really miss CART/Champcar, not that they were perfect by any stretch, but the current dog & pony show is an embarrasment to the history and legacy of OW motorsports in North America.

....absolutely patchetic :shakehead

racer2c
09-06-11, 09:31 PM
“For some reason the truck didn’t go back to its expected location,’’ said Tony Cotman, who assists chief steward Brian Barnhart in Race Control. “We were all shocked when we saw it entering Turn 1.

“Somebody called in right as we went green that there was a safety truck on the track.”

Ah, the art of throwing the underlings under the bus is prevalent in irl race control. And some call him "savior". :gomer:

The best part of the whole race was millers grid run where he stopped to talk to carpenter with :tony: refusing to look at him! :rofl:

devilmaster
09-06-11, 09:33 PM
Some blame the one truck driver (which sounds like he made a monumental error...)

If he never drives a safety truck again, fair enough.

But lets be honest here. The other truck was still backing up off the truck when they went green, and the 2nd truck,regardless if he was going to the wrong corner, the wrong way, etc.etc.etc was still on the track.

Race control, along with its communications with safety teams and corner workers, failed to properly communicate that the track was safe to proceed.

Rick is right. This track was not clear. It was not safe. The buck stops at race control and the head of it. Its his job to ensure the track is safe. It wasn't. Simple as that.

stroker
09-06-11, 09:39 PM
Has anyone considered the Barnhart may actually TRYING to get fired? First Loudon, then this?

racer2c
09-06-11, 09:52 PM
Has anyone considered the Barnhart may actually TRYING to get fired? First Loudon, then this?

I honestly believe this is the brainchild of :tony: himself. He will proclaim to the gomerati that he just couldn't stand on the sidlines and watch this happen. Tony steps in, cleans house as all of track forum spontaneously combust in a rush of ecstasy.

Wait a second, that's Tony George I'm talking about. Never mind. :)

RTKar
09-06-11, 09:57 PM
Also, who's training the crews, prepping them for race day. Do they run simulations in meetings? Is there a manual with protocols? I'm getting the feeling they run by the seat of their pants, somewhat makeshift and unprofessional.

NismoZ
09-07-11, 09:49 AM
Rahal's remarks are chilling, and now it's like, ho-hum??:shakehead

Mary
09-08-11, 10:11 PM
What an ugly sound these things make! Gosh, I never realized it was so bad. Sounds like a bunch of mutant or maybe neutered bees.

Mary

Trevor Longman
09-08-11, 10:46 PM
Oh well now isn't that nice. They suspended the truck driver for two races. Problem solved!

Napoleon
09-09-11, 02:23 PM
Oh well now isn't that nice. They suspended the truck driver for two races. Problem solved!

Seriously?

And exactly what did he have to do with bringing the cars back around at speed?

chop456
09-09-11, 04:37 PM
And not having the trucks/stations check in.

Blame shifting scumbags.

Elmo T
09-09-11, 05:05 PM
Seriously?

And exactly what did he have to do with bringing the cars back around at speed?

By no means am I defending these rocket scientists, but perhaps the safety truck driver gave the all clear before he was in position?

devilmaster
09-09-11, 05:18 PM
By no means am I defending these rocket scientists, but perhaps the safety truck driver gave the all clear before he was in position?

Watch the video from the outside of the turn where the safety truck goes from left to right. At the start of that video there is another truck backing into its spot.

Its obvious that more than one safety vehicle was not in position when they went green. I don't have a problem with the driver suspension, because if you have a rule that says you don't drive against race traffic, then he did that.

But its obvious that race control missed the fact that the track was not clear, and shouldn't have started them.

Indy
09-09-11, 07:19 PM
Christ, they are dumb. :shakehead

SurfaceUnits
12-18-11, 12:36 AM
$150 million promised by IMS

According to a UM-Baltimore County sports economics professor estimates that the race prompted only about $15 million in additional spending

Further, the race management firm is insolvent and has over $12 million in unpaid expenses, of which the city is owed $1.9 million.

The report says the Baltimore Grand Prix produced $440,000 in admissions and amusement tax revenue for the city, but state comptroller records show that amount is about as much as it collected for the city from sales of tickets and other taxed items during the entire month of September. And the figure is down more than 30 percent from collections a year earlier.

City logistical support for the event and $6.5 million in road improvements had been justified by big economic-benefit projections that did not prove accurate.

"Is this really what we mean by success?" said Coates, with the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-11-04/business/bs-bz-grand-prix-economic-impact-20111104_1_baltimore-grand-prix-baltimore-racing-development-economic-impact

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-12-13/sports/bs-ed-grand-prix-letter-20111213_1_baltimore-grand-prix-economic-impact-forward-analytics

SurfaceUnits
12-20-11, 02:37 PM
Mower fun in B'more

Clash expected at Federal Hill meeting over Grand Prix funds
At 7 p.m. neighborhood association meeting, president or board could be kicked out
By Luke Broadwater, The Baltimore Sun
12:31 p.m. EST, December 20, 2011

A dispute that began over the Federal Hill Neighborhood Association's handling of Baltimore Grand Prix funds has escalated to the volunteer neighborhood leaders attempting to oust each other from power, consulting lawyers and accusing each other of libel in widely circulated emails.

A vote is expected at tonight's association meeting that could throw out the association's president or its board members. The meeting will take place 7 p.m. at Christ Lutheran Church at 701 South Charles St. Signs posted around Federal Hill by residents backing association president Ryan Hada call for neighbors to "Liberate Federal Hill" at the meeting.

nissan gtp
12-20-11, 07:12 PM
Mower fun in B'more

Clash expected at Federal Hill meeting over Grand Prix funds
At 7 p.m. neighborhood association meeting, president or board could be kicked out
By Luke Broadwater, The Baltimore Sun
12:31 p.m. EST, December 20, 2011

A dispute that began over the Federal Hill Neighborhood Association's handling of Baltimore Grand Prix funds has escalated to the volunteer neighborhood leaders attempting to oust each other from power, consulting lawyers and accusing each other of libel in widely circulated emails.

A vote is expected at tonight's association meeting that could throw out the association's president or its board members. The meeting will take place 7 p.m. at Christ Lutheran Church at 701 South Charles St. Signs posted around Federal Hill by residents backing association president Ryan Hada call for neighbors to "Liberate Federal Hill" at the meeting.

Indycar bringing out the best in people. :laugh:

grungex
12-31-11, 02:28 AM
Ruh-roh:

City officials have terminated the contract of the troubled company that organized the inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix and are seeking a new group to run the racing festival in the coming year, the mayor's office announced Friday.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/bs-md-ci-grand-prix-terminate-20111230,0,4186350.story

SurfaceUnits
01-01-12, 02:49 PM
looks like time for some Hawaiian lawyers

Rogue Leader
01-03-12, 02:49 PM
The Baltimore Grand Prix is a huge success but such a money loser it won't be back for 2012.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120103/FREE/120109995?utm_source=DailyDrive20120103&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=article5&utm_content=20120103-Racing_in_Review__Autoweek%27s_top_10_motorsports_ storylines_of_2011&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Mary
01-03-12, 11:18 PM
Sorta like, "the operation was a success but the patient died."

Mary

chop456
01-04-12, 12:07 AM
"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln...."