PDA

View Full Version : Come on Irene!

dando
08-25-11, 12:03 PM
Stay safe east coasters...looks like Rusty's path of destruction continues. ;)

RXLHUThBib8

:gomer:

-Kevin

devilmaster
08-25-11, 12:34 PM
wouldn't have 'goodnight irene' been a better choice? ;)

I mean, maybe you like to do karaoke with a japanese accent... but c'mon. :D

dando
08-25-11, 12:42 PM
wouldn't have 'goodnight irene' been a better choice? ;)

I mean, maybe you like to do karaoke with a japanese accent... but c'mon. :D

Couldn't resist the humor as a defense mechanism. I have family being evacuated from Duck Beach, NC (vacation) that live in Brooklyn. Talk about frying pan into the fire. :eek: I also just saw a report on the local news from CBS that NYC is considering evacuating the Battery Park, Coney Island, etc. areas. Jeebus. And NJ is preparing for evacuations as well. Our annual vacation stomping ground in OCNJ is in the path as well. :( Luckily my Mom in Hilton Head should be OK.

-Kevin

Anteater
08-25-11, 01:34 PM
Just checked weather.com. How do you get a hurricane AND a tornado (see red area on map)? :confused:
http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/article/hurricane-irene-major-northeast-threats_2011-08-23

Stay safe, you Easterners!

extramundane
08-25-11, 03:50 PM
Just checked weather.com. How do you get a hurricane AND a tornado (see red area on map)? :confused:
http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/article/hurricane-irene-major-northeast-threats_2011-08-23

Stay safe, you Easterners!

Kinda like how you get a hurricane and an earthquake.

We're right on the edge...of something. We're either getting a few showers and wind, 6 inches of rain or the eye of the storm, depending who and when you ask. :irked:

sadams
08-26-11, 07:37 AM
Latest track moved back east.:thumdown:
Eye over CT River which puts the storm surge up Narragansett Bay:yuck:
I'm inland but we'll be getting the wind.

extramundane
08-26-11, 07:59 AM
Cross your fingers (or whatever you got) for the OBX folks. Glad I took the time and went this summer, because I'm afraid that parts of it might not exist in 48 hours. :(

cameraman
08-26-11, 09:38 AM
I recall Agnes chewing up my town in NY back in 1972. The winds were not even close to hurricane force when it came through but it did a lot of damage to an area that was built up ignoring the possibility of a major storm. I don't think they have given much thought to the prospect while constantly building the area up even more over the last 39 years. If you run a class 4 into the NYC area you would be setting a new record but it would settle the debate as to if it is possible to have a cat 4 that far north...

Elmo T
08-26-11, 12:25 PM
Here is a brief synopsis of every call to our office today:

http://i56.tinypic.com/1etjdk.jpg

:saywhat::saywhat:

dando
08-26-11, 12:34 PM
Here is a brief synopsis of every call to our office today:

http://i56.tinypic.com/1etjdk.jpg

:saywhat::saywhat:

Dude, all I can say is I wouldn't want to be on the Walt when she hits. :eek: Ocean and Cape May counties evacuated in south Joisey. I just hope that Voltaco's survives. :(

Good news is that she hasn't strengthened (in fact weakened) as forecasted. She was @ 115, now 105.

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
08-26-11, 01:21 PM
From a Gulf Coast veteran to my East Coast playas -

HUNKER DOWN!!

:D

KLang
08-26-11, 01:57 PM
Make sure to stock up on the essentials: Beer!

Ankf00
08-26-11, 03:53 PM
hit the highways and clog everything up!

Elmo T
08-26-11, 04:28 PM
Gas lines at the local Wawa (think 7-11 with better food and coffee) are backed up into the highway. And we are 100 miles from the shore. :eek:

Now if everyone would have taken that Zombie prep guide seriously we'd be in good shape!

nissan gtp
08-26-11, 05:36 PM
Make sure to stock up on the essentials: Beer!

that's what I did :D

got a bunch of containers in the freezer makin' ice to keep it cold if the power goes out.

extramundane
08-26-11, 07:05 PM
Gas lines at the local Wawa (think 7-11 with better food and coffee) are backed up into the highway. And we are 100 miles from the shore. :eek:

Same here.I got several bags of ice and filled up the gas cans last night and it was dead. Today? Couldn't even get in the place.

And there's apparently not a 6V battery to be found anywhere. I've never seen Lowe's so packed with people and so empty of stuff.

that's what I did :D

got a bunch of containers in the freezer makin' ice to keep it cold if the power goes out.

I think you might be in for a rough one up there. Stay safe...or at least drunk! :thumbup:

Elmo T
08-27-11, 08:43 AM
Dude, all I can say is I wouldn't want to be on the Walt when she hits. :eek: Ocean and Cape May counties evacuated in south Joisey.
-Kevin

Politics aside - the NJ Gov's handling of this could make or break his career. I think this will be a +1 in his favor!

PHy6S5u7M3w

dando
08-27-11, 10:28 AM
Thankfully she's not going to live up to the hype. Down to cat 1, 85mph max sustained winds. She won't even be a hurricane by the time she reaches NYC, etc. in the northeast.

-Kevin

KLang
08-27-11, 10:47 AM
Looks like the issue will be water, both rain and storm surge. Possibly 15" rain.

Hey you guys wanna send that stuff down here to Texas?

dando
08-27-11, 11:20 AM
Looks like the issue will be water, both rain and storm surge. Possibly 15" rain.

Hey you guys wanna send that stuff down here to Texas?

She's moving slowly...more or less training rain over the same areas. The surge may be more of an issue in NYC when she hits during the new moon (and due to the low-lying 'reclaimed' land in SE NYC. Latest forecast is for a minimal hurricane to reach NYC, so it ain't over 'til it's over. :\

-Kevin

Tifosi24
08-27-11, 11:47 AM
Thankfully she's not going to live up to the hype. Down to cat 1, 85mph max sustained winds. She won't even be a hurricane by the time she reaches NYC, etc. in the northeast.

-Kevin

It might not be a Cat 2 making it to New York City, but it really is a Cat 1 in name only. It is a massive storm, plus its barometric pressure is still on par with a lower-level Cat 3. It is nothing I would mess with.

dando
08-27-11, 12:05 PM
It might not be a Cat 2 making it to New York City, but it really is a Cat 1 in name only. It is a massive storm, plus its barometric pressure is still on par with a lower-level Cat 3. It is nothing I would mess with.

Indeed. She's still nothing to mess with, but she's not going to live up to the epic storm as predicted. Any storm hitting the NE, add a Cat to it due to the low-lying and 'reclaimed' land. The bigger issue is the slow movement and training rains over the same areas, as well as the timing when it hits. Luckily it hit NC @ low tide.

I'm also betting on this:

IRENE IS FORECAST TO GRADUALLY WEAKEN AS IT MOVES ALONG THE EAST
COAST OF THE UNITED STATES DUE TO LAND INTERACTION...DRY AIR
ENTRAINMENT...AND INCREASING SOUTHWESTERLY SHEAR. IF THE CENTER OF
IRENE MOVES MORE OVER LAND THAN FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 12-24
HOURS...IT COULD BE SLIGHTLY WEAKER THAN PREDICTED. WHETHER IRENE
IS A STRONG TROPICAL STORM OR HURRICANE OVER NEW ENGLAND WILL MAKE
LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN THE EXPECTED IMPACTS OF DAMAGING WINDS...A
DANGEROUS STORM SURGE...AND FLOODING RAINS.

-Kevin

nissan gtp
08-27-11, 12:27 PM
getting a little rain and wind

should pick up by late afternoon

dando
08-27-11, 01:04 PM
Now jogging to the east. These things are maddening. :saywhat:

-Kevin

extramundane
08-27-11, 01:09 PM
Pretty steady rain all morning, winds picking up. I keep watching the Weatherbug equipment at work- so far gusts haven't topped 35, but it's getting pretty sustained in the 20s. And it's still very early.

Elmo T
08-27-11, 01:12 PM
Now jogging to the east. These things are maddening. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Unlike some of the young and eager responders, I'd be quite happy if that continued.

Ominous low dark gray clouds pushing north now. Tornado watches up in Delaware.

extramundane
08-27-11, 01:24 PM
And...live dong on the Weather Channel.

Keep it classy, Va Beach. :shakehead

extramundane
08-27-11, 04:52 PM
It may be weaker than expected but it's f***king this city up good and we're 100 miles inland. Nothing but sirens in between the wind gusts.

Big :thumbup: to the first responders out there. We don't say thanks enough.

Elmo T
08-27-11, 05:03 PM
And so it begins here in PA. Raining in earnest now.

They've moved marine rescue units from Western PA into the area. PA/OH Urban Search and Rescue are being readied for NYC area.

TKGAngel
08-27-11, 05:57 PM
Fleets of utility trucks have been spotted moving from Western NY & Western PA to be ready to aid in getting things back up & running as quickly as possible.

Stay safe & dry if you're in her path.

KLang
08-27-11, 06:25 PM
Fleets of utility trucks have been spotted moving from Western NY & Western PA to be ready to aid in getting things back up & running as quickly as possible.

The utility companies do have this down pretty well. The same thing happens for hurricanes in FL or the gulf. :thumbup:

extramundane
08-27-11, 07:00 PM
Sustained winds don't seem as bad but gusts are still pretty scary. Only 4-5 more hours of the really bad stuff, they say. 'course they were also saying as late as Wednesday that we wouldn't get much out of this. :\

Stay safe, Elmo, Longmans and anyone else about to get a visit.

Elmo T
08-28-11, 12:59 AM
Storm cranking now. And to top it off, there is is a police pursuit with shots fired. :saywhat:

extramundane
08-28-11, 06:51 AM
1million in VA without power. It's gonna be a looooooong week. :(

Trevor Longman
08-28-11, 08:08 AM
I got up for the F1 race and realized I'm in the same boat, without power. :rolleyes:

stroker
08-28-11, 09:10 AM
I got up for the F1 race and realized I'm in the same boat, without power. :rolleyes:

that's okay, it's a crappy race and you're not missing anything.

(just trying to make him feel better, folks...)

Elmo T
08-28-11, 10:19 AM
And to top it off, there is is a police pursuit with shots fired. :saywhat:

Still looking for this guy and everyone being told to stay inside and lock the doors.

Army captain kills 4, wounds 2 officers (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/128554283.html) :shakehead

Shooter found dead (http://doylestown.patch.com/articles/police-warn-shooting-suspect-armed-and-dangerous)

What a long strange weekend.

Andrew Longman
08-29-11, 12:16 PM
Politics aside - the NJ Gov's handling of this could make or break his career. I think this will be a +1 in his favor!He's a youtube hit machine, that's for sure. And he was dead on right with his message on this one.

Missed it a bit with the snow storm though.

qXnHn0YJMRk :D

He apparently forgot to ask the people, particularly in Middlesex County if their state roads were plowed even days later.

Back to Irene.

Lost power for about 12 hours, and a drain backed up and flooded my garage until I cleared it. Not bad though. Family in Denville are stranded and can't get out of town because of flooding. Wife's step brother in Cranford has 6' of water in his basement. Friend nearby has water coming up from his water table faster than his pumps can keep up. Lost furnace, water heater, freezer and fridge. Sister in law lost about 30' of driveway that is now a river and can't get off her property.

Nice day today. Sunshine and the Delaware looks to be about at crest without too much fuss. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv/?site_no=01458500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060:)

Andrew Longman
08-29-11, 12:22 PM
What a long strange weekend.Wow. Hadn't heard anything about that from this side of the river -- or from my folks in Warminster. Batcrap crazy doesn't happen much around here.

Elmo T
08-29-11, 03:52 PM
Batcrap crazy doesn't happen much around here.

When our SERT guys dust this off, you know it is going to be a long day...

http://i53.tinypic.com/29dg5j.jpg

And this all started in the middle of the storm. Most SERT folks spent most of that storm outside in the rain.

We still have sporadic power outages in the area - reported to be close to 100K customers out here in Bucks County. Some are being told power will be restored by 9/4.

Irked this AM by all the "we all overreacted" talk. 24 dead last count, including a rescue worker in Princeton. Billions in damage. Using Katrina as the yard stick for what is a "bad" hurricane is not smart. :rolleyes::shakehead

extramundane
08-29-11, 04:16 PM
Still 270K without power just in Richmond metro. 75% back by Wed, 90-95% by Friday, they say. I'm gonna spend more on gas for 1week of generator than I do for a month of electric. But at least I was just chainsawing loose limbs rather than a tree through the roof.

And my fellow motorists could really use some lessons on 4-way stops. :irked:

cameraman
08-29-11, 04:32 PM
Hmmm, not great to see my hometown on the cover of the NY Times but if knee deep water in a restaurant is the worst damage they could find then it sounds like they got off rather lightly considering the possibilities. Anyone who complains that a storm was a disappointment because it wasn't severe enough really needs to be smacked upside the head.:saywhat:

Gnam
08-29-11, 06:10 PM
Irked this AM by all the "we all overreacted" talk. 24 dead last count, including a rescue worker in Princeton. Billions in damage. Using Katrina as the yard stick for what is a "bad" hurricane is not smart. :rolleyes::shakehead

The image that sticks in my mind was part of a news report about flooding. The camera showed a street underwater and focused on a submerged mailbox post. I think the intent was to show the depth of the water. But, as the shot zoomed out, there was a guy in shorts and rubber boots standing next to the mailbox and the water wasn't even over his toes.

IMO, the intensity of the storm isn't the issue. It was the number of people it affected. Even a small storm aimed at the DC/Philly/NJ/NYC area disrupts millions of people.

Gnam
08-29-11, 08:24 PM
The situation is fluid.

C6b54bZepoA

trish
08-29-11, 09:11 PM
The situation is fluid.

C6b54bZepoA

He's right. Them guys are stupid! :rofl:

chop456
08-30-11, 02:01 AM
I think the intent was to show the depth of the water. But, as the shot zoomed out, there was a guy in shorts and rubber boots standing next to the mailbox and the water wasn't even over his toes.

Media sensationalism? I'm shocked. SHOCKED!

Where's the footage of the dumbbell reporter canoeing down the street and the two guys walking in front of her. :laugh:

KLang
08-30-11, 08:22 AM
Here comes Katia.

http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201112_5day.gif

Andrew Longman
08-30-11, 10:15 AM

Simple choice: Mayor Bloomberg or Mayor Nagin?

I also personally know a boatload of people who found their preparations didn't work and thankfully didn't badly need them. Better to find out this way that the generator doesn't start, or uses more gas per hour than you thought, or that the sump pump doesn't work, or the emergency contact numbers in your cell phone aren't right, or even just that your basement really does leak.

chop456
08-30-11, 11:47 AM
Media sensationalism? I'm shocked. SHOCKED!

Where's the footage of the dumbbell reporter canoeing down the street and the two guys walking in front of her. :laugh:

Found it. :gomer:

Q64qvkVtXd0

dando
08-30-11, 11:59 AM
^^^ :rofl: :laugh: :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
08-30-11, 12:43 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TravelGal
08-30-11, 03:07 PM
Back to Irene.

Lost power for about 12 hours, and a drain backed up and flooded my garage until I cleared it. Not bad though. Family in Denville are stranded and can't get out of town because of flooding.

Nice day today. Sunshine and the Delaware looks to be about at crest without too much fuss. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv/?site_no=01458500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060:)

I grew up literally 2 miles down the road from Denville. One of my friends posted video on her FB page. Really bad, bad flooding in downtown. :( If you can say that Denville even has a "downtown." << attempt at humor

TKGAngel
08-30-11, 04:07 PM
The NYS Thruway (I-90) is shut down between Syracuse & Schenectady (over 100+ miles) and there is no timetable for it to re-open.

Elmo T
09-01-11, 03:17 PM
How is your Waffle House (http://blog.fema.gov/2011/07/news-of-day-what-do-waffle-houses-have.html)?

During his days as the head of Florida’s Department of Emergency Management, FEMA Administrator Craig began to use a simple test to determine how quickly a community might be able to get up and running again after a disaster: The Waffle House test

If a Waffle House store is open and offering a full menu, the index is green. If it is open but serving from a limited menu, it’s yellow. When the location has been forced to close, the index is red. Because Waffle House is well-prepared for disasters… it’s rare for the index to hit red.

Gnam
09-01-11, 03:36 PM
:laugh:

I'm trying to think of a California equivalent...maybe In-N-Out Burger.

dando
09-01-11, 03:53 PM
How is your Waffle House (http://blog.fema.gov/2011/07/news-of-day-what-do-waffle-houses-have.html)?

Tiger Woods must have used that test, too. :gomer:

-Kevin

Elmo T
09-08-11, 08:42 AM
Still drying out from Irene and we are getting pounded again. Flooding rain last night.

We made 3 rescues this AM - folks trying to drive through flooded roads. First dude left his car and had to be plucked out of tree. :shakehead

At least the power is still on. :rolleyes:

dando
09-08-11, 08:54 AM
First dude left his car and had to be plucked out of tree. :shakehead

Could have been worse.
(http://www.shortlist.com/home/drunk-moose-gets-stuck-in-tree)

:gomer:

Lee has stalled out as an upper-level low over the mid-atlantic/northeast area. We have a chance of rain in the forecast for through Sunday. No idea when I'm going to get a chance mow the grass. :saywhat:

EDIT: the good news is that Katia (who thought up that name, BTW) will be forced out to sea by Lee.

-Kevin

extramundane
09-08-11, 10:20 AM

Hopefully your folks planned better than ours. Over 1 week to get ours back on and several thousand who got theirs back over the weekend lost it again Mon/Tues thanks to Lee. The Power Co. kept swearing it was "worse than Isabel, worst storm EVAR!!!" and so forth but the two out-of-town power crews I spoke to said the communication and coordination was the worst they'd ever seen and they were appreciating their own companies a lot more.

And, of course, in the middle of the outages, they announce a plan to raise rates. :irked:

TravelGal
09-08-11, 10:28 AM
Lee has stalled out as an upper-level low over the mid-atlantic/northeast area. We have a chance of rain in the forecast for through Sunday. No idea when I'm going to get a chance mow the grass. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Grass? You have grass? Lesse, by this time of the year we have brown crispy bits that crunch when you walk on them.

Extram: Can you hire yourself out as a consultant to improve communications? Looks like an entrepreneurial opportunity awaiting someone.

extramundane
09-08-11, 10:41 AM
Extram: Can you hire yourself out as a consultant to improve communications? Looks like an entrepreneurial opportunity awaiting someone.

While I'm not sure they could go much lower, asking for help from the guy who spent most of last week screaming "F*** YOU, DOMINION VA POWER!" at their automated restoration update system probably wouldn't help too much. :D

dando
09-08-11, 10:50 AM
Grass? You have grass? Lesse, by this time of the year we have brown crispy bits that crunch when you walk on them.

That be why y'all live in the Golden State. :gomer: Last year we had a day of rain followed by four weeks of nuttin' (rinse and repeat). This year we had a deluge for weeks in the late spring followed by a slight dry spell and rain every other day since then (despite the 30+ days of 90+ weather). :saywhat: To top it off, I stepped on a hot coal the week before last while smoking some country ribs, and my heel is still quite painful. I need goats. :irked: Note to self: no more smoking/grilling w/o shoes. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
09-08-11, 03:25 PM
Still drying out from Irene and we are getting pounded again. Flooding rain last night.

We made 3 rescues this AM - folks trying to drive through flooded roads. First dude left his car and had to be plucked out of tree. :shakehead

I'm in Salt Lake this week but the wife said be has never seen rain like that last night. Not drops but just sheets of water falling out of the night. We have water coming in the basement in places we've never seen before because the water table is so high. No biggie for us fortunately. I have gravity working for me and I am on high ground.

Others not so lucky. At least if they were going to lose a furnace or freezer or finished basement they already likely did that last week.

Wife sent picture of Lambertville Station underwater. Delaware supposed to crest at about 21' at Frenchtown. That's not too bad. 23-24' things get really serious around town.;)

Elmo T
09-08-11, 03:27 PM
Blurry photo from this AM. Marine rescue units were already committed on other jobs so a wheel loader was used to rescue the driver. This wasn't ponded water - it was a swift water stream crossing. :shakehead

http://i56.tinypic.com/2akci86.jpg

Trying to convince the town to but some of these:

http://i55.tinypic.com/212u7mq.gif

Andrew Longman
09-08-11, 03:49 PM
Blurry photo from this AM. Marine rescue units were already committed on other jobs so a wheel loader was used to rescue the driver. This wasn't ponded water - it was a swift water stream crossing. :shakeheadI lived in Princeton for years and used to know almost everyone on the Rescue Squad. Not any longer. I understand they lost a responder trying to find out if someone was in a drowned car. (there wasn't) He was safety tied but somehow it failed.

You know anything about that? Sounds as if somebody screwed up, but I don't want to go there if that's not true.

emjaya
09-08-11, 05:59 PM
Trying to convince the town to but some of these:

http://i55.tinypic.com/212u7mq.gif

You're assuming that these fools can read....

Elmo T
09-09-11, 02:34 PM
Our hit was nowhere near as bad as the other parts of PA. Irene caused little damage in comparison.

Turn the sound down so you aren't subjected to awful music. Viewer alert - there is a brief glimpse of the bison in Hersheypark - they had to be euthanized because they could not be relocated. :(

5IxnLmCAwZI

And this just in: levees in 'extreme stress' (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/pa-flood-mark-revised-1164780.html)

100K evacuated

The Susquehanna crested at 42.66 feet Thursday night in Wilkes-Barre — beyond the design capacity of the city's levee system and higher than the record set in historic flooding spawned by Hurricane Agnes in 1972.

Insomniac
09-11-11, 12:53 PM
I'm just glad Katia turned away. Spent the week in Savannah and didn't want to come back early.

cameraman
11-02-12, 05:20 PM
Looking back at Irene, this video shows the storm surges on the NJ/NY/CT coast during the storm. It is pretty amazing especially how out of sync Long Island Sound is compared to the rest of the coast.

http://vimeo.com/48249903

The same info for Sandy will be very interesting to see.

Here is the water flow in the Hudson

http://vimeo.com/48250992

You would really have to be on your toes when it came to opening and closing any flood gates. Timing would be everything to make sure that they didn't flood upstream of the gates.