PDA

View Full Version : Ugliest Cars of the Last Fifty Years

Corner5
08-16-11, 10:00 AM
Here's the slideshow-

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1028_50_ugliest_cars_of_past_50_years/1.htm

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1028_50_ugliest_cars_of_past_50_years/image/009_ford_pinto.jpg

"The Pinto"

:snicker:

datachicane
08-16-11, 05:14 PM
Good grief. Spare me from auto-themed features written by folks who had no knowledge or interest in the subject matter until the assignment crossed their desk.

Regardless of the merits (or lack thereof) of the cars on that list, they appear to have been selected based on no other criteria than how far they diverge aesthetically from a Toyota Camry. If that's a valid defintion of ugly, well, sign me up for that ride.

racer2c
08-16-11, 09:07 PM
Good grief. Spare me from auto-themed features written by folks who had no knowledge or interest in the subject matter until the assignment crossed their desk.

Regardless of the merits (or lack thereof) of the cars on that list, they appear to have been selected based on no other criteria than how far they diverge aesthetically from a Toyota Camry. If that's a valid defintion of ugly, well, sign me up for that ride.

Thank you for writing exactly what I was thinking. :thumbup:

extramundane
08-16-11, 09:32 PM

A+++++, excellent seller, would buy again!

Seriously, I'd drive 2/3 of them just to piss of people like the guy who compiled the list.

Andrew Longman
08-16-11, 10:38 PM
Enzo was a gutzy call.

Not one of my favorite Ferarris but I actually dislike many much more than the Enzo.

How did Cordoba (or any 70 era Chrysler product) not make the list?

Anteater
08-16-11, 10:42 PM
Writer has a definite bias against the El Camino (with which I disagree).

Indy
08-16-11, 10:52 PM
I have owned, ummm, several of those cars. :gomer:

nrc
08-16-11, 11:00 PM
Seems like a warmed over version of this list of "worst" cars that was linked in a previous thread.

http://www.windsorstar.com/cars/worst+cars+ever+built/3368706/story.html

Plus, I'm on record as thinking the Pinto Cruising Wagon was very groovy. :gomer:

No bustle back Seville? No Tribeca B9? No Nissan Juke? They're not even trying.

Gnam
08-17-11, 02:39 AM
Haters gonna hate.

Most of those cars are known for more than their looks.
DeLorean? That makes no sense.

opinionated ow
08-17-11, 06:05 AM
So let me get this straight...a Citroen Ami makes the list but not a Nissan Juke?!? Why is the Subaru Brumby on that list? I'm thinking the bloke just hates utes

High Sided
08-17-11, 09:03 AM
I have owned, ummm, several of those cars. :gomer:

me to and the original Rav4, my present ride.
oh i see, the 2 door Rav4 was ugly and the ferrari?

i'd like to see this guys 50 ugliest womens list, i'd probably want to take a ride in 50% of those as well. :tony:

racer2c
08-17-11, 09:38 AM

i'd like to see this guys 50 ugliest womens list, i'd probably want to take a ride in 50% of those as well. :tony:

:rofl:

racer2c
08-17-11, 10:56 AM
Enzo was a gutzy call.

Not one of my favorite Ferarris but I actually dislike many much more than the Enzo.

How did Cordoba (or any 70 era Chrysler product) not make the list?

You're just baiting me aren't you? :D

I loved my Cordoba in high school!

the list includes box design cars like the Volvo 240 but not an 80's K Car?

The author seems to be basing aesthetics on current design standards, not based on the time of manufacture. Also, many on the list are more infamous for build quality and questionable reason for being rather than 'design'. The Cimmeron being one example.

Indy
08-18-11, 12:17 AM

Here's to low standards. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

TravelGal
08-18-11, 01:06 AM
Didn't have to go far to see my "copper brown" Gremlin. After about 10 years, it turned into a "light desert dust" but at the beginning...:p We had talked the dealer down below cost before seeing the only unit on the lot and never even THOUGHT it could come in such a revolting color. Baby ****** brown, a friend called it. It was a bit sleeker than the 1970 version pictured. Lasted a few months more than 20 years. Didn't owe me a penny when I donated it to charity, still running perfectly.

devilmaster
08-18-11, 10:39 AM
Seems like a warmed over version of this list of "worst" cars that was linked in a previous thread.

http://www.windsorstar.com/cars/worst+cars+ever+built/3368706/story.html

I liked my list, boss. :p ;)

That being said, anyone's top anything list is going to be based someone's personal choices....

NSFW.
1GIGcWLwSDQ

datachicane
08-18-11, 12:04 PM
No bustle back Seville? No Tribeca B9? No Nissan Juke? They're not even trying.

Got that straight. Late-model Subarus are decent cars but deserve their own subcategory of ugly.

Don't forget the soul-killingly ugly Aztek, the Isuzu Vehicross, and the, ummm, Cayenne <runs>