PDA

View Full Version : ALMS@Road America

Corner5
08-10-11, 04:04 PM
Who's going?

schedule- http://roadamerica.com/userfiles/file/2011%20Event%20Schedules/RRS%20Spectator%20Schedule%208-5-11.pdf

2 promos- SALVATION ARMY RACE TO FEED THE HUNGRY
Receive $10 off your daily admission ticket at the gate when making a $5 or more donation of non-perishable food.

Time Warner Cable- present your current TWC bill at any gate and receive a "buy one, get one FREE ticket offer.

Corvettes on sunday.:cool:

TrueBrit
08-10-11, 08:53 PM
Going to try and make it up on Saturday....

G.
08-12-11, 12:26 PM
Going to try and make it up on Saturday....

Ditto.

Corner5
08-16-11, 10:36 AM
Last Years finish-

last lap-

QxzsLVnJ6k0

NismoZ
08-16-11, 12:54 PM
I know. GREAT stuff...but are there more than TWO cars capable of doing that THIS year?:(

Corner5
08-17-11, 09:30 AM
I know. GREAT stuff...but are there more than TWO cars capable of doing that THIS year?:(

I'm sure some great racing will ensue.;)

Question- When was the first race?

Answer- When the second car was built...:D

G.
08-17-11, 10:19 AM
Anyone know of any ticket deals at the gate?

Canned goods give you $10.00 off, Sarah Fisher bobblehead (on fire) give you free admission, etc.?

Corner5
08-17-11, 02:47 PM
Anyone know of any ticket deals at the gate?

Canned goods give you $10.00 off, Sarah Fisher bobblehead (on fire) give you free admission, etc.?

***Time Warner Cable- present your current TWC bill at any gate and receive a "buy one, get one FREE ticket offer.

NismoZ
08-20-11, 10:45 PM
So, there WAS a couple of cars slugging it out to the finish. The big bad V-8 Aston managed to hold off the little turbo Mazda by a few feet...and we got to see the last 3:49 of the action. :shakehead What were they thinking!? I mean the GT action was good, as usual but that was all they were showing for about the last 30 mins. Really dumb. Guy Smith was fun to watch. With one to go he actually attempted a pass for the win, in The Kink, in traffic! Scared the crud out of one of the announcers! (and me) Smith was lapping in the 1:52s when closing at the end, very quick. Fun to watch but really sad to see only 4 cars in P1 and maybe 100 spectators. I've never seen fewer at a major RA event.

Andrew Longman
08-21-11, 03:05 AM
Yeah I was noticing that... Not good. :shakehead I was hoping to make it 101 but things didn't work out. Considering that there are only 2 decent LMP's (sometimes 3 when Kane is at the wheel), they sure seem to put on a good show most of the time. Those last few minutes were fantastic as usual at Road America. Plus the GTC battles seem to always come down to the wire, even if it is a "filler" class. On a side note, a hidden "go fast" button was found in the BMW's and IMSA's on the case so their dominance may be nearing an end.

Corner5
08-21-11, 10:11 AM
Don't believe it. Fans started pouring in on Thursday. Campsite was full.

This was one of the best crowds at this race. It was great to see so many fans
turnout.

ALMS @RA is back! :thumbup:

Corner5
08-21-11, 11:14 AM
Saturday morning-

http://photos.americanlemans.com/0343/RA1_3604.jpg

race-

http://photos.americanlemans.com/0343/RA1_4626.jpg

stroker
08-21-11, 01:51 PM
^^ Bastard. Now I want a bratwurst.

;)

pchall
08-21-11, 04:29 PM
^^ Bastard. Now I want a bratwurst.

;)

Now we need a thread about how to cook and grill brats in Community. :)

NismoZ
08-22-11, 09:39 AM
Pretty sure all those fans in that paddock pic had just hiked over from the campground and are the same ones in the Corner 5 shot after the start of track action!:p Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the biggest RA fans ANYwhere, and though I do not believe "RA is back" I think whenever that happens, IF it happens:(, will be more due to the the on track product and the fan interest IN it than anything the track can do. Admittedly, I was not there this past weekend to get a personal feel for the crowd but from what I could gather from the broadcast there just wasn't very many people in the outback. Forget that main straight grandstand, very few ever use that anyway. I'd never judge a crowd at RA based on that. Perhaps I'm just reacting negatively to seeing a "Green/White/Checker" in a four hour race after proLONGED yellows for minor local incidents on a FOUR mile track!? Of course I'm lacking details but it just appears "The Booth" was over-involved in manufacturing a "fan finish." Hope I'm wrong. (PS-grilling up a breakfast brat now!)

NismoZ
08-22-11, 09:53 AM
And CHEATER BMW'S!!? Now, THAT'S excitement. Where do I find out more about that? The great in-car shot of the BMW just driving by the Corvette on the front straight toward the end wasn't necessarily a shock to me, but I have to say I was surprised! Saving a little for the end, Bobby? WE WANT THE TRUTH! AND JUSTICE! (something besides "letting" Corvette win the next one:rolleyes:)

NismoZ
08-22-11, 11:13 AM
I have an idea of a just punishment for Team Rahal (+L) if found guilty...I think many of you might have the same idea? Guess.

Corner5
08-22-11, 04:19 PM
Pretty sure all those fans in that paddock pic had just hiked over from the campground and are the same ones in the Corner 5 shot after the start of track action!:p Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the biggest RA fans ANYwhere, and though I do not believe "RA is back" I think whenever that happens, IF it happens:(, will be more due to the the on track product and the fan interest IN it than anything the track can do. Admittedly, I was not there this past weekend to get a personal feel for the crowd but from what I could gather from the broadcast there just wasn't very many people in the outback. Forget that main straight grandstand, very few ever use that anyway. I'd never judge a crowd at RA based on that. Perhaps I'm just reacting negatively to seeing a "Green/White/Checker" in a four hour race after proLONGED yellows for minor local incidents on a FOUR mile track!? Of course I'm lacking details but it just appears "The Booth" was over-involved in manufacturing a "fan finish." Hope I'm wrong. (PS-grilling up a breakfast brat now!)

That's right! You weren't there. All weekend everyone was commenting on how great the crowd was. Please stop speculating, I was there all days. Trust me ,RA is back in a big way. This season has been some of the best crowds for all events. (Yes, I'm a place fan and proud of it)

Did anyone see the "Champ Car" easy-up on turn 14? It was a former pit tech guy from CC, he bought it in the auction.:thumbup:

RTKar
08-22-11, 06:11 PM
I was there Saturday and I thought the crowd was pretty good, quite a few people out and about in Plymouth and Elkhart Lake after the race too. More cars on track would have been nice as well as more souvenir vendors, AND my favorite brat stand ran out of German potato salad!:irked:

However it was gorgeous weather at a great track, cold beer....can't go wrong.

Andrew Longman
08-22-11, 08:55 PM
Now we need a thread about how to cook and grill brats in Community. :)Yup, but it would be hard to top those brat patty and eggy things they serve at the top of the hill behind T5. Damn. Now I want that.

Crowd looked pretty good. Better than the last few times I was there on CART/CCs death bed.

NismoZ
08-22-11, 09:45 PM
Glad to hear that, now let me see more than a two car main attraction and competition that doesn't look like it was a set-up, and I believe I'll be there too. I've only missed 1 yr. at RA since '62 so I have a fairly decent understanding of what a good crowd up there looks like. Perhaps a larger comparison sample affects my viewpoint? Of course, having a great time with family, friends, food (and beverage) at a beautiful venue counts for something, too.:thumbup:

Corner5
08-27-11, 09:26 AM
Some good news-

ROAD AMERICA: ONE FOR THE RECORD BOOKS
Not only was the finish at the Time Warner Cable Road Race Showcase a new Series record, but the TV audience from the ABC broadcast set the highest viewership numbers of the season. The Road America show, which ended with Muscle Milk Aston Martin Racing crossing the finish line only 0.112 seconds ahead of Dyson Racing, was the ALMS’ second-most watched race in the last seven years.

Not bad for a highlight showcase!

RB-pack your bags.:p

Corner5
08-27-11, 09:39 AM
Here's the video-

9xToFyqSv3o

great announcers.:cool:

NismoZ
08-27-11, 10:08 AM
:thumbup: Great stoof! Was wondering how they rate the ESPN3 live streaming thing. Been watching that way and am generally pleased and hope to be connected to the big screen by next season. Guy Smith passing in the dirt at the Hurry Downs?! And who feints INside at The Kink..in TRAFFIC!? (and flashing his lights at the leader!):eek:I LIKE that GUY!