PDA

View Full Version : Chatting in a public place annoyances

WickerBill
08-08-11, 09:08 AM
Some might say I have a lot of rules, but others might say they're all pretty darn good. Here are some new rules for my co-workers that I'm passively-aggressively posting in a place they'll never see them.

When you talk to someone in public areas:

1. Do not stop to talk at the top or bottom of an escalator
2. Do not stand at the inside corner of two hallways
3. Do not stand against opposite walls of a hallway, forcing walkers to walk between the two chatters
4. Do not stop in a doorway when a wider part of the hall is two steps away
5. Do not hold the elevator door open to chat with someone who is exiting while others are waiting for the elevator to continue its journey

That is all... for now

NismoZ
08-08-11, 10:23 AM
Geez, do you work in the Pentagon?:) Sounds like photo manners at a racetrack. 1) Do not say, excuse me, to shoulder closer to a good position, then stand there to watch the action after getting your shot. 2) If you are wearing one of those $350 photo vests, get a shot or two and KEEP MOVING! 3) Be aware of others with cameras at the ready and stop, duck or change direction because you would want them to do the same for you. 4) Do NOT pause to look at, comment on or replay :shakehead or EDIT your pictures while others may want to get the same angle. 5) Don't hesitate to let track management know when the corner worker outhouses are placed DIRECTLY in line with a spectator photo line of sight. (they walked a few feet further for over 40 years, why do they have to be so near to the flag stand now? More female flaggers?) 6)... ? At first I thought you might be talking about LOUD cell phone users in public...like movie theaters. After a third call (and two requests to stop) to the doctor and his wife sitting behind us, my brother turned, grabbed the guy's phone and THREW it down the aisle toward the exit! Shocked me, wouldn't recommend it, but it worked.

dando
08-08-11, 10:35 AM
Don't get me started, WB. OK, I'll throw in shoppers 'driving' shopping carts with cell phones stuck to their ears, or congregating in the middle of an aisle to chat. :saywhat: :mad:

-Kevin

racer2c
08-08-11, 11:34 AM
When standing in line don't carry on an extended conversation in a louder than normal voice on your cell phone. I don't want to be included in your discussion. Thank you. (same for those at tables next to me at restaurants).

chop456
08-08-11, 12:59 PM
When the elevator opens on the first floor, do not attempt to enter without seeing if someone's getting off or you will receive a big helping of my fat face at no charge. You're welcome.

Tourists - do not stop and congregate in the middle of the sidewalk. Especially if you're doing something stupid like taking pictures of a bar or a parking garage. :gomer:

A couple weeks ago we were out for dinner and there was a party of 23 seated next to us. It was a long, narrow room where the chairs on the aisle side of our table had already been removed for walking room. Not ONCE were the waitresses able to walk through without saying excuse me or standing and waiting for the stupid ***** to move. Their children dropped food all over the floor, they were loud, complained about the service, didn't help the waitresses with anything, then had the balls to ask for something to be taken off the check.

The redeeming moment came when one a-hole was blocking the kitchen door and taking a drink of his beer when the waitress came through and hit him in the back, spilling beer all over himself. My only wish was that he'd been facing the door with the bottle up to his teeth. :thumbup:

Who the **** raises these people?

ChampcarShark
08-08-11, 06:59 PM
1. Do not stop to talk at the top or bottom of an escalator.

Does this apply to electric escalators too???

Gnam
08-08-11, 07:55 PM
After a third call (and two requests to stop) to the doctor and his wife sitting behind us, my brother turned, grabbed the guy's phone and THREW it down the aisle toward the exit! Shocked me, wouldn't recommend it, but it worked.

I would watch that show. :thumbup:

Imagine the cast of Jackass walking around LA slapping cell phones out of people's hands.

Elmo T
08-09-11, 09:19 AM
In the past week, I've had to beep my horn at no less than 3 people who were busy texting when the light turned green. :irked:

Indy
08-09-11, 10:43 AM
In the past week, I've had to beep my horn at no less than 3 people who were busy texting when the light turned green. :irked:

That was you? Damn, dude, relax! :gomer:

Indy
08-09-11, 10:49 AM
Went in to a McDonald's yesterday to sit with a soda and use their innerwebs, and this couple, apparently a mother and son, started arguing, and he even went so far as to stand as he yelled at her. He seemed to be mad about someone in the family dissing him. Then another couple, probably young marrieds, got loud as he played the abusive husband card and belittled her publicly. Then, I moved to the front of the room to get away from that crowd, and I witnessed an old man yell at the cashier for not getting his ice cream cone fast enough.

These are good humble people, mind you, salt of the earth types. The strength of our nation. :gomer::gomer::gomer:

TKGAngel
08-09-11, 10:57 AM
When standing in line don't carry on an extended conversation in a louder than normal voice on your cell phone. I don't want to be included in your discussion. Thank you. (same for those at tables next to me at restaurants).

Conversely, you will annoy the heck out of your co-workers if you drop your voice to such low levels that all you hear is the Charlie Brown teacher voice at the desk next to you for 45 minutes. If you're in a cubicle farm, there's no secrets anyway, so no need to whisper. And if your call is that private, go into a conference room or your car so you can speak normally.

Tourists - do not stop and congregate in the middle of the sidewalk.

That was my mother during our trip to Michigan. I lost track of the number of times I crashed into her because she stopped to take a picture. And don't even get me started on the fact that the one time she passed me the camera resulted in me getting shat on by a bird.

NismoZ
08-09-11, 11:04 AM
Ever had someone BEHIND you at a light, applying make-up/ eyeshadow/ lipstick, with the mirror turned down so she could see what the hell she was doing, with her giant SUV creeping ever closer to your bumper!? Scary, man. OR...that same scenario playing out in FRONT of you...you try to be patient when the light changes, but the guy BEHIND you leans on the horn, the lady in front thinks it's YOU, so she resets her mirror, gives you the finger and screeches off!? LOTS of unhappy morning people out there! This is great, maybe we should just start a "Things That Really Piss Me Off" forum! Gotta practice my coping statements!

Al Czervik
08-09-11, 12:22 PM
These are good humble people, mind you, salt of the earth types. The strength of our nation. :gomer::gomer::gomer:

"you know, morons." -Waco Kid

Anteater
08-09-11, 10:52 PM
I hate going to Costco on a busy day when there are sample tables. People with huge shopping carts catch sight of the free food, which amazes them to the point where they stop dead in their tracks, blocking the aisle while staring at the food. Meanwhile, I'm stuck behind them, trying to get my shopping done. :mad:

extramundane
08-10-11, 08:44 AM
I hate going to Costco on a busy day when there are sample tables. People with huge shopping carts catch sight of the free food, which amazes them to the point where they stop dead in their tracks, blocking the aisle while staring at the food. Meanwhile, I'm stuck behind them, trying to get my shopping done. :mad:

That phenomenon has always amazed me. These people can pony up the $50/year or whatever it costs and walk out with a couple hundred in purchases, so they're clearly not destitute. Yet they'll tear-ass across 4 lanes of cart traffic to get a postage stamp-sized sample of Steak-Umm or deep-fried chicken-slurry as if they've been crawling through the desert for 6 months. :shakehead

dando
08-10-11, 10:47 AM

I actually go out of my way to avoid the sample stations @ Sam's. :irked: I'm also always amazed @ the sample grazers @ Kroger, but I do admit to occasionally using them for a snack for the girls. :gomer:

-Kevin