PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton's 15,000 seats....how pathetic?

Chief
07-24-11, 10:45 AM
Look, far be it for me to comment on the current state of the IRK...but:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110724/SPORTS0107/107240377/IndyCar-drivers-see-tough-turns-new-Edmonton-course?odyssey=nav|head

------------------------------------
Not many seats

This circuit with great views of downtown Edmonton doesn't have many seats. There are only seven grandstands of significance.

The largest two sections are in turn one, each possessing 4,200 seats. Down toward turn five are a pair of grandstands with 1,200 seats in each.

There are 1,344 folding chairs set up for viewing in the front straightaway suite section, and there's a 2,400-seat grandstand at the pit entrance. The only other section is in turn 13, and it has 1,440 seats.

The total: 15,984 seats.

A few hundred motor homes line the north end of the facility, and there will be some general admission and extra suite tickets sold. But as for actual seats, this will be the second-fewest number at an IndyCar event this season. The Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course has only a couple of thousand seats due to its natural amphitheater seating.
-----------------------------------------

Gonna be a sellout....it might not look like a sellout, but golly gee, it's a sellout. Can implosion occur please? CHAMPCAR, in it's heaving death-throws had 200,000. :yuck::mad::flame:

Good thing Tony ended the split, I suppose...Railbird is rolling, I tell ya... :yuck:

SurfaceUnits
07-24-11, 01:41 PM
egspeshully when they only need about 5000

TKGAngel
07-24-11, 04:45 PM
Perspective: the good people of Edmonton have been known to support things that stink. The Oilers have finished DFL in the NHL the last two seasons and have had 100% of their home games sell out over the same time frame.

TravelGal
07-25-11, 01:36 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

is it over yet?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

And you all said the last one was bad. What a stinkeroo. (Mercifully) I haven't thought of the term farting bees in a long time but I couldn't get it out of my mind today. Never thought I'd say this but I sorta missed Wheldon. At least his voice pierces the drone.

Rogue Leader
07-25-11, 07:41 AM
At least they didn't try to kill eachother the whole race this time...

Well aside from Tagliani and Hunter-Reay. Two drivers that I used to like till I saw this season they use the chrome horn way too much and don't have the finesse of PT.

NismoZ
07-25-11, 10:50 AM
The "finesse of PT"..:eek::rofl::rofl:...or did I just miss the ;)? But I understand what you mean. Let's just have the "avoidable contact" thing like the ALMS, send 'em to the rear wholesale, if they can even continue, and watch 'em claw their way back up, if they can. Passing, drama, excitement! Turn that sow's purse into a silk ear. USE the idiocy to advantage! Man, I didn't even see it but I can tell some of you who did must have REALLY enjoyed it.:D Remember all those Formula Atlantic guys we wanted to see in ChampCar? They're looking pretty good over in the Rolex. Only 10 cars in the DPs but the GTs are a lot of fun to watch. Hell, the GTs are the ONLY thing to watch in the ALMS! There was a LOT of good racing this weekend, from Germany to California and we could see most of it on TV, or on our PCs too!:thumbup: Or both at the same time!:D

Chief
07-25-11, 11:35 AM
Farting bees :laugh:

When I hear IRL carz it reminds me of the "Ghostbusters" movie when they turn on the ghostbuster-mobile's siren. Sounds just like that siren from the movie....

lLBcLzM3zIY

Don Quixote
07-25-11, 01:21 PM
Question: Does Verses set up their cameras like ESPN did to to hide the fact that nobody is there? Just wondering. Do they ever show overheads?

NismoZ
07-25-11, 03:10 PM
...Uh, folding chairs!? Dammit, RA don't have no folding... CHAIRS!:mad: Gots plenty of picnic tables and outhouses, though!:gomer: I guess the Indy Cars won't run there, then!? :thumbup::)

Rogue Leader
07-25-11, 05:02 PM
The "finesse of PT"..:eek::rofl::rofl:...or did I just miss the ;)? But I understand what you mean. Let's just have the "avoidable contact" thing like the ALMS, send 'em to the rear wholesale, if they can even continue, and watch 'em claw their way back up, if they can. Passing, drama, excitement! Turn that sow's purse into a silk ear. USE the idiocy to advantage! Man, I didn't even see it but I can tell some of you who did must have REALLY enjoyed it.:D Remember all those Formula Atlantic guys we wanted to see in ChampCar? They're looking pretty good over in the Rolex. Only 10 cars in the DPs but the GTs are a lot of fun to watch. Hell, the GTs are the ONLY thing to watch in the ALMS! There was a LOT of good racing this weekend, from Germany to California and we could see most of it on TV, or on our PCs too!:thumbup: Or both at the same time!:D

You know exactly what I mean... kinda like with him its not so much brain fade as brain "explosion"

NismoZ
07-25-11, 05:18 PM
:D

pchall
07-25-11, 06:08 PM
Yup. The dying carcass of CART/Champcar must of smelled a lot better than the living IRL.

Perspective: the good people of Edmonton have been known to support things that stink. The Oilers have finished DFL in the NHL the last two seasons and have had 100% of their home games sell out over the same time frame.

Lux Interior
07-26-11, 06:07 AM
I don't watch or pay attention at it's so bad.

NismoZ
07-26-11, 10:37 AM
Then WATCH a little of it and be miserable and whine like the rest of us! This IS the innerweb, afterall:)

racer2c
07-26-11, 11:12 AM
After watching the Edmonton race, I think they should just cancel the rest of the season and come back when they have a new car that performs as a top tier car should. I don't car how much brake psi they can muster...they are slow and look even slower on tv. How they can market that series as top tier...it verges on fraud.

NismoZ
07-26-11, 02:50 PM
Fraud abounds these days and a lot of people are eating it up!:\

JohnHKart
07-27-11, 12:47 AM
After watching the Edmonton race, I think they should just cancel the rest of the season and come back when they have a new car that performs as a top tier car should. I don't car how much brake psi they can muster...they are slow and look even slower on tv. How they can market that series as top tier...it verges on fraud.

I'm thinking about spending the time watching these crash fests looking at something else. Like that road race series on Speed that has cars that are basically street stock- Mustangs, Camaro's, or maybe Grand Am, which has crapwagons but good drivers. I don' t know. I slept through Edmonton (known in my family as the "HELLHOLE" because I hate that place!) until the last few laps and again regretted wasting my time on it. Maybe I should read a book or something.

SurfaceUnits
07-29-11, 01:18 AM
http://www.danicaracingstore.com/images/products/62_large.jpg

gjc2
07-30-11, 11:50 AM
they should just cancel the rest of the season and come back when they have a new car

I thought the advent of the DP01 would be a turning point for Champ Car, but it wasn't.

racer2c
07-30-11, 05:06 PM
I thought the advent of the DP01 would be a turning point for Champ Car, but it wasn't.

Not me. A spec car series no matter who runs it sucks.

NismoZ
08-01-11, 06:44 PM
Rank the best NON-spec series for me...and from 1 to 1 doesn't count.

cameraman
08-01-11, 08:24 PM
There is only F1. Every other open wheel series on the planet is spec.

But to say that every ladder series on the planet sucks is flat out idiotic statement.:shakehead

racer2c
08-01-11, 09:05 PM

But to say that every ladder series on the planet sucks is flat out idiotic statement.:shakehead

Who said anything about ladder series?

Spec lovers circle jerk. Have fun.

racer2c
08-01-11, 09:06 PM

:gomer:

Indy
08-01-11, 10:46 PM
I must jump in here and say how much I agree with r2c. :gomer:

Seriously, I recently watched the 1970 Indy 500 and it was far, far more interesting. Offys and Fords, chassis' built by the teams, pure awesomeness.

I never could really care about a ladder series. Meh.

miatanut
08-02-11, 12:00 AM

F3 is not spec. Formula Ford is not spec.

Formula Ford provides the best racing anywhere, except maybe Spec (yes, but still having multiple tires and a lot of other options) Miata.

From my perspective, professional racing sucks. F1 has had occasional flashes of good racing, but the highest series that provides consistent great racing are various GT series. That's semi-pro at most.

opinionated ow
08-02-11, 02:11 AM
Formula 1 Formula 3 Formula Ford Formula Vee Sprintcars Midgets Compact Speedcars/Three Quarter Midgets

miatanut
08-02-11, 07:24 PM
Formula 1 Formula 3 Formula Ford Formula Vee Sprintcars Midgets Compact Speedcars/Three Quarter Midgets

:thumbup:

NismoZ
08-03-11, 11:14 AM
Yep, my point Exactly, ONE! Two through seven you can pile into a tea cup. I am NOT making a statement about what does or doesn't provide exciting, competitive, entertaining racing. There is one reason for spec racing and that is to provide AFFORDABLE (loosely defined) exciting, competitive, entertaining racing...that people in large numbers might actually pay to see! And if they don't, the people that run in it can perform in near-empty venues and still get their jollies...because they can AFFORD to. The trigger here was the complaint over "only three top teams" in F -1. Geez, did we see more in Can-Am? F-5000? Trans-Am? IndyCar, CART, ChampCar? Unlimited hydros!? Not often. The reason? $$$! It is simply my belief that wildly outrageous spending often dooms the non-spec series to failure no matter how much we like the technology. Can Am? Seems to me Lexan skirts, sucker motors (gee, don't see those in F-1 anymore, do we?) adjustable wings, ( DRS?,big whup, Hall had DRS and DIS all in one simple design!) aluminum 427s 1,100 hp twin turbos, your very own test track and wind tunnel...and POOF, the series is gone! Doesn't mean I didn't LOVE it! I understand your defense of #s 2-7 on the list but I'm guessing the RULES in those series are so strict they just might BE defacto spec series? Hate them for their "lack of technology" but you can't deny that Rolex GT, for example (though spec or contrived) doesn't provide close, exciting, entertaining racing. Even at a big fast track like Road America. And even at that you won't often find more than three top teams. AND, I Love that Spec Miata...nut.:D

opinionated ow
08-03-11, 12:28 PM
Sprints/Midgets/TQs are pretty much a free for all

Formula 3 is pretty wide open. Most teams do use Dallaras but what sees the racetrack is nothing like what comes out of the factory. New suspension setups (There's one car in Australia with 3 front dampers), hugely varied aero kits (a bit like the old days of CART). The engines have to have a production block and run a 22mm air restrictor but they're pretty much open too.

Formula Vee and Formula Ford have to use a VW or Fiesta engine respectively but the chassis and suspension rules are only lightly restricted.

JohnHKart
08-05-11, 08:47 PM
Sprints/Midgets/TQs are pretty much a free for all

F.

The best racing I get to see is when my buddy Fred takes me to Victorville, Perris, Ventura and Santa Maria. I'm still shaking my head at the show I saw the winged sprint cars (not WOutlaws) put on in Santa Maria last month. Now that is insanely good stuff!