PDA

View Full Version : Chicks and kicks - WC '11

dando
07-10-11, 02:44 PM
If you didn't catch the US over Brazil in PKs after scoring the equalizer @ 121' in extra time and playing a 'man down for most of the second half and extra time. They were also jobbed on several calls by a ref that handed out yellow cards like candy @ Halloween. :saywhat: It's The Miracle on Grass. Replay on E$PN 2 @ midnight ET. Watch it, record it, cherish it. The most amazing soccer match I have ever seen. The crowd chanting USA! USA! USA! on foreign soil towards the end was chilling.

-Kevin

WickerBill
07-10-11, 08:16 PM
It was amazing. Drama galore... and Ian Darke is the best announcer on the planet

RusH
07-10-11, 09:27 PM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_la3c7z8cI01qdmmbio1_400.jpg

stroker
07-10-11, 10:06 PM
^^^ Who dat?

dando
07-10-11, 10:24 PM
^^^ Who dat?

Smokin' hot goalkeeper Hope Solo (US).

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
07-10-11, 10:43 PM
Ian Darke is the best announcer on the planet

I heartily endorse these remarks and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Insomniac
07-10-11, 11:31 PM
Smokin' hot goalkeeper Hope Solo (US).

-Kevin

A lot has changed since the last WC.

opinionated ow
07-11-11, 12:19 AM
Australian soccer and cricket superstar Ellyse Perry is more up my strasse...
http://www.cosmopolitan.com.au/images/cosmo/FFF/2011%20sportswoman/ellyse-perry-web.jpg

EVL29
07-11-11, 09:49 AM
A lot has changed since the last WC.

Greg Ryan was,and probably still is, a shmuck.

Solo was right,Scurry was passed her sell-by date. The '08 Olympics proved that.

Insomniac
07-11-11, 11:38 AM
Australian soccer and cricket superstar Ellyse Perry is more up my strasse...
http://www.cosmopolitan.com.au/images/cosmo/FFF/2011%20sportswoman/ellyse-perry-web.jpg

Aside from agreeing, soccer and cricket is an interesting combination of sports.

Insomniac
07-11-11, 11:39 AM
Greg Ryan was,and probably still is, a shmuck.

Solo was right,Scurry was passed her sell-by date. The '08 Olympics proved that.

I agree, she was right, but the media wasn't in such agreement.

Don Quixote
07-11-11, 12:38 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6044/5910364390_4bbffc3cec.jpg

Indy
07-12-11, 01:43 AM
Hope Solo is an awesome name.

SteveH
07-12-11, 08:57 AM
Hope Solo is an awesome name.

especially as she is in goal :thumbup:

dando
07-13-11, 01:44 PM
It was amazing. Drama galore... and Ian Darke is the best announcer on the planet

I'd still like to hear Gus Johnson call a match. :D

Brilliant subs by Pia to insert fresh legs with Morgan and Rapinoe. US was just way too sluggish in the first 2/3s of the match, and then they started to press the attack immediately after the subs. :thumbup: Lloyd needs to be sat. Period. :thumdown:

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-17-11, 05:26 PM
Congratulations to Japan. They capitalized on their chances. Tough break for the US. Timely Red Card for Japan, possibly saved a goal, but it's pretty clear Alex Morgan is the future of US Women's Soccer.

dando
07-17-11, 05:59 PM
Shoulda, coulda, woulda. :( Congrats to the Japs...much needed good karma for the country. The US wasted way too many opportunities in the first half and then turtled when they took the lead in the 2nd. Hope was also unHope likeand the D was a Disaster. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-17-11, 06:42 PM
Shoulda, coulda, woulda. :( Congrats to the Japs...much needed good karma for the country. The US wasted way too many opportunities in the first half and then turtled when they took the lead in the 2nd. Hope was also unHope likeand the D was a Disaster. :saywhat:

-Kevin

I'd say the D was very unorganized. They were having a lot of trouble clearing the box, essentially running into each other preventing a clean clear. I'd like to get an overhead look at the second Japanese goal. I think it may've gone in regardless of the deflection.

Insomniac
07-17-11, 06:46 PM
I mentioned jinx's in another thread and realized that Ian Darke pointed out there had never been a red card in a final and kept foreboding the Japanese would equalize. I'm sure this happens often, but ouch.

TravelGal
07-17-11, 07:14 PM
Just finished watching. (Our own personal tape-delay system for all sports.) Agree: Too many missed chances in the first half. They wanted to play a better game and they did but they were supposed to include the part about making the daring goals. Second half I thought they were in total disarray for too many minutes. And that first Japanese goal...:shakehead

Still, kudos to Japan. They kept at it. If you believe in that sort of thing, it seemed that fate would not let them lose, no matter how or when they screwed up. My heart was very full after it was over. For our gals and for their gals, and country.

Insomniac
07-17-11, 08:21 PM
My heart was very full after it was over. For our gals and for their gals, and country.

Team USA (both the Women and Men) stir emotions like nothing else (for sports that is, at least for me, and I can't even say why).

indyfan31
07-18-11, 10:12 AM
I am not a soccer fan.
Now, that said, after having watched both the men's and women's finals, the biggest difference between the two was that the women came to play the game. No flopping, no histrionics, no screaming at the refs. It made for an exciting game :thumbup:
The men are a bunch of overpaid, whinny, drama queens. :thumdown:

dando
07-18-11, 12:22 PM
I am not a soccer fan.
Now, that said, after having watched both the men's and women's finals, the biggest difference between the two was that the women came to play the game. No flopping, no histrionics, no screaming at the refs. It made for an exciting game :thumbup:
The men are a bunch of overpaid, whinny, drama queens. :thumdown:

The past two games were quite the contrast to the Brazil quarters match, which featured what you described for the men's WC. Of course the uneven officiating for the Brazil match didn't help. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-18-11, 12:46 PM
The past two games were quite the contrast to the Brazil quarters match, which featured what you described for the men's WC. Of course the uneven officiating for the Brazil match didn't help. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Maybe the women could've used some over the top rolling around and time burning. ;) Of course, there are a lot of things they could've done as well.

Ankf00
07-18-11, 01:44 PM
Maybe the women could've used some over the top rolling around and time burning. ;) Of course, there are a lot of things they could've done as well.

they could've taken their first 3 PK's with better form than a rec league player, what with them supposedly being at the highest level on the biggest stage on the planet...

Racing Truth
07-18-11, 03:23 PM
they could've taken their first 3 PK's with better form than a rec league player, what with them supposedly being at the highest level on the biggest stage on the planet...

True, but then again the Brazilian men went 0-4 in the Copa America final. I know, not a WC, but still, bad **** happens.

That said, we ALL knew where Boxx was going on the first PK. Lloyd's attempt was awful, and I'd have much rather had Rapinoe than Heath on the 3rd.

EDIT: Look, I get pulling Rapinoe who seemed not to get the "posession" memo and tried for a home run everytime (hey, it worked on Morgan's goal- where was she in PK's BTW?-, but nothing else), but it would have been prefferable to have her than a Heath who wanted no part of that PK.

Insomniac
07-19-11, 11:59 AM
True, but then again the Brazilian men went 0-4 in the Copa America final. I know, not a WC, but still, bad **** happens.

That said, we ALL knew where Boxx was going on the first PK. Lloyd's attempt was awful, and I'd have much rather had Rapinoe than Heath on the 3rd.

EDIT: Look, I get pulling Rapinoe who seemed not to get the "posession" memo and tried for a home run everytime (hey, it worked on Morgan's goal- where was she in PK's BTW?-, but nothing else), but it would have been prefferable to have her than a Heath who wanted no part of that PK.

I wish they would've subbed in a defender. I don't know their whole roster, but if they had anyone who is calming to settle the defense, that would've added more IMO.