PDA

View Full Version : The End of GM Motors Is Near

pchall
06-17-03, 08:25 PM
Panther has a Cosworth in the shop...

link (http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E89%257E1456820,00.html?search=filter )

cart7
06-17-03, 08:37 PM
IIRC, GM has a contractual obligation through 05 to participate and provide motors to the irl. If they have smart lawyers, they might be able to get or buy there way out of it. I just can't see how they won't end up with even more mud on their face than they already have. There's just no good way to spin this. If Panther dumps Chevy, that will leave a few pathetic backmarker teams running the Chevy and that usually spells disaster since GM won't be able to get enough good data to make significant changes to stay competitive.

Adios GM. Another earl foundation partner cut loose. And the lemmings talk about the inconsistancy at the top at Cart over the last 10 years. Well, the way TG has turned his back on the manufacturer and teams that were there at the start, it kinda makes it easier to understand why guys like Andretti, Penske and Floyd are finding such a home in the irl now and why they're starting to understand Tony's way of thinking. :shakehead

racer2c
06-17-03, 09:46 PM
Is Cosworth hedging their bets for a no-CART reality?

Lizzerd
06-17-03, 09:51 PM
Ouch... Please don't even speculate that...

devilmaster
06-17-03, 09:55 PM
apparently channel 6 in Indy showed the Panther car running at IMS tonite.

Steve

Treeface
06-17-03, 11:38 PM
"GM has a contractual obligation through 05 to participate and provide motors to the irl."

Doesn't mean teams have to use them.

RaceChic
06-18-03, 07:46 AM
Quote about Sarah Fisher:
"The only woman in the field is proving she can compete" :saywhat:
Sorry to go off topic......

mapguy
06-18-03, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Quote about Sarah Fisher:
"The only woman in the field is proving she can compete" :saywhat:
Sorry to go off topic......

I'm really enjoying that titanic battle between her and AJIV for wanker of the year honours.

Ziggy
06-18-03, 06:12 PM
I heard that engine run yesterday, for a very short time. It may have done five laps after I got home, which was around 3:30pm. It was the loudest racing engine I have heard run at Indy, EVER! I mean, at first I thought there was a run away semi truck on Georgetown Road. Then it came around again and I thought a small plane was about to crash in the area, like real close! I went outside to listen for it again, and spotted a helicopter flying right over the main grandstand. This is when it hit me that the "secret" Cosworth test must be going on. It did not run long, but it got high marks for making a ton of racket.

They may have had some testing headers on the thing, because like I said, it was very, very loud. I wrote to some friends that there was a chance someone was shaking down a vintage car (Novi came to mind) for the upcoming Miller reunion at the Milwaukee Mile...

HAHA, what an idiot

Ziggy

Jag_Warrior
06-20-03, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Treeface
"GM has a contractual obligation through 05 to participate and provide motors to the irl."

Doesn't mean teams have to use them.

They also have a contractual obligation to their retirees, but they may try to weasel out of that too (according to an article in The Economist ).

I'm guessing Tony's Dope Show is the last thing on Ricky Wagoner's mind these days. To paraphrase (crazy, but wise) Ross Perot, "that loud sucking sound is American jobs leaving this country... that loud thud is General Motors falling face-first into the dirt."

And Fishel said at one time they were looking at Formula One.:laugh: A company that can't find its @ss with both hands tied behind its back, and is getting trounced in the IRL... in F1? :rofl:

Idiot b@stards... they probably sold those LMP02's for scrap. :mad:

sundaydriver
06-20-03, 03:50 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?content_code=08357007

Interesting article about Fords dilemma with GM. I hope Ford does not let them use the engine. I would rather see GM flounder. :D

sundaydriver
06-27-03, 02:42 PM
Any insiders here that can shed some light on if this whole Chevy-Ford thingy is going to play out? :gomer:

KLang
06-27-03, 03:54 PM
There is a thread on TF claiming it's a done deal. I hope not.

sundaydriver
06-27-03, 04:05 PM
I think all those replys were from yesterday. I guess there was a GM meeting today for a final decision. I'm wondering what the outcome was of that meeting.

For the life of me I can not figure out why GM would pay Ford/Cosworth for an eninge. Ford/Cosworth should charge these guys out the wazoo.

KLang
06-27-03, 05:08 PM
I imagine Cosworth is just trying to make a buck. I will be disappointed if Ford allows it.

Peter Venkman
06-28-03, 08:35 PM
""The only woman in the field is proving she can compete" "

It's 8:30 EDT and I happened to turn on an IRL "show" somewhere or other, during a commercial on FOX, police chases, which I went bact to, and Sarah Fisher went backward at the start faster than someone who punched a hole in then fence.

This poor kid is in so far over her head that she's nothing but a rolling chicane, a dangerous one at that, and unfortunately, she is going to eat some wall someday really hard, and the IRL is going to be under a microscope.

All for Tony's ego... the punk.