PDA

View Full Version : My independence day

TrueBrit
07-03-11, 07:44 PM
Trumpeting my own horn here, but I just wanted to say that I am very proud of myself today as this marks the one year anniversary that I stopped paying Philip Morris my hard earned cash for the privilege of burning their products and sacrificing my health at the same time....i haven't had a ciggy in 365 days today, and I have never felt better...i started to smoke when I was 13 years old, and have tried to quit so many times I lost count, but today is my one year anniversary of not sparking up....cold turkey...if you still smoke, stop, you smell like ass, and trust me, the fact that you can breath, walk, finally taste your food and people don't want to kick you in the nads when you walk into a room, is worth all of the effort it takes to break free...this independence day I am celebrating a freedom I didn't think was possible...freedom from nicotine...cheers!!!

EDwardo
07-03-11, 07:56 PM
Congratulations. I am fighting the same addiction right now and I know how hard it is to quit successfully. Next up for me is the patch.

trish
07-03-11, 08:18 PM
Congratulations TrueBrit and good luck to you EDwardo.

SteveH
07-03-11, 09:09 PM
Congrats, having done it myself I know it isn't easy. :thumbup:

TrueBrit
07-03-11, 09:49 PM
Congratulations. I am fighting the same addiction right now and I know how hard it is to quit successfully. Next up for me is the patch.
Stick with it...you will thank yourself later...

WickerBill
07-03-11, 11:17 PM
Fantastic!

nrc
07-03-11, 11:18 PM
congrats and well done! :thumbup:

cameraman
07-04-11, 12:11 AM
I've never smoked a cigarette in my life. I received the world's most effective, if inadvertent, aversion training while in elementary school. Back in the late sixties our church had a coffee hour after the services and all the adults would hang out in this large assembly hall and drink coffee and smoke like chimneys. For reasons lost to the sands of time I ended up with the plumb gig (in my elementary school mind at least) of collecting all of the coffee cups and saucers and hauling them back to the kitchen and loading them in the big commercial dishwasher. The dishwasher did not like cigarette butts. Now all those folks standing around talking did not have access to ashtrays, that is what saucers & half empty coffee cups were for. Coffee-logged cigarette butts and ashes are not pleasant and after cleaning up a hundred or so cups full of them every Sunday for several years running I developed an intense hatred for all things cigarettes. To this day I can't even imagine smoking one.

Yet I can't live without black coffee, go figure.

TRDfan
07-04-11, 08:17 AM
TrueBrit way to go !!

EDwardo - keep fighting, I'm sure it will be worth it.

RTKar
07-04-11, 10:22 AM
Congrats,

Thankfully I never started and my only addictions are pizza and cheeseburgers w/fries.

A couple people I work with are addicted, one woman's car has hazy yellow windows and smells like a cigerrete, so does she. I may have to go on the patch just from being around her.

KLang
07-04-11, 10:26 AM
Congrats Truebrit!
I quit with the help of Chantix four years ago after smoking for thirty years.

G.
07-04-11, 11:49 AM
Crap. My turn.

Congrats, TB! And all others that have kicked.

Insomniac
07-04-11, 12:56 PM
Congrats TrueBrit! (And everyone else here who has smoked their last cigarette.)

Best wishes to those who are trying to kick the habit now.

dando
07-04-11, 05:41 PM
Congrats, TB. I kicked it about a year after our first DD was born 7 years ago. Cold turkey. Tried nico gum, etc. before but no luck. Just did it one day and I was done. I've had 2-3 over the past 7 years, but anymore the smell just makes me sick. I just wish my bro in law would do the same. He has 3 kids (the latest DS is just past 1), and we have to explain smoking each year @ the family vacation in OCNJ. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

TravelGal
07-04-11, 05:51 PM
Congratulation, TrueBrit. This is a real milestone. :thumbup: I'm so glad you've felt all the benefits from your hard work.

And good for the rest of you who are making a righteous effort to quit. It has to be one of the hardest things to do.

I never started because every time I had a dream that I was smoking when I was a youngster, I'd wake up choking. It was certainly just a dry throat but it cemented in my brain that I'd choke if I smoked!

Indy
07-06-11, 12:25 AM
Way to go, man. Good for you.

I quit twice for two years each time and went back to it, so remember, you have to be vigilant. There will be moments of weakness, so you have to use your intellect to overrule your desires at those times, and, if you do cheat, don't think that ruins anything. Just quit again, immediately, and count it as a lesson learned.

For me the third time was the charm and now I can not remember how long it has been. Four or five years, maybe? And never going back.

mapguy
07-06-11, 02:00 AM
Great job TB! Now if I can just do the same....

Andrew Longman
07-06-11, 09:54 AM
Good for you. :D:thumbup:

I wish my brothers could quit. They've tried, even succeeded for a time (in one case a couple years) then go "back out". I'm really not looking forward to burying them but I'm afraid it will come to that.

chop456
07-06-11, 11:27 AM
Deep down, I've always known you were a quitter.