PDA

View Full Version : CART Close To Signing A Series Sponsor?

JoeBob
06-17-03, 05:50 PM
Interesting little tidbit from David Phillips: http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/6789/

At Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway last weekend, before word circulated about the impending announcement on Monday, there were rumors that CART is close to securing a sponsor for the Champ Car World Series to replace departed FedEx and provide the direct financial transfusion missing under the current arrangement with “Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford.” Indeed, one story had a series sponsorship announcement all but set for mid-September.

While optimistic about a series sponsor, CART officials were careful to maintain a healthy sense of realism.

“We’ve got three or four interested parties,” said Pook. “But you know what they say about sponsorship: the first 80 percent is easy. The last 20 percent—getting somebody to sign on the dotted line—that’s the hard part.”

Don Quixote
06-17-03, 07:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, this could be great news. But, can we possibly stand to add another word or two to the series name? ;)

rabbit
06-17-03, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Don Quixote
Don't get me wrong, this could be great news. But, can we possibly stand to add another word or two to the series name? ;) Why stop now? :p

Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series for the Microsoft Vanderbilt Cup Powered by Ford.

Has a nice ring to it. :gomer:

racer2c
06-17-03, 10:52 PM
Well, Sony just signed an exclusive licensing agreement, through 2005, with Sony for their PlaySation 2 game console for F1 naming rights or in other words, no other game platform i.e. Xbox, GameCube or even PC will have an F1 titled game.

This opens up a perfect opportunity for Microsoft to step in to CART.

I do think it's weird that he speaks on title sponsorship when the motor-sport world is abuzz with talk of the impending sale *doom*.

Gurneyflap
06-17-03, 11:17 PM
No, not weird. Isn't it interesting that BOTH are being mentioned at the same time? Coincidence? I suspect not. If the "buyer" has been known all along maybe all that was needed was that "last 20%" of effort to seal the deal. New owner, new sponsor...NEW ERA!

nz_climber
06-17-03, 11:36 PM
Microsoft?? Is that just wishfull thinking or have they expresed an interest?? (any links?)

Well anyway they got money to burn so why not!!

:)

rabbit
06-17-03, 11:41 PM
I just threw Microsoft out there because it was the first major company that popped in my head.

racer2c
06-18-03, 10:03 AM
and let's not forget WB's pictorial of the MS/Champ Car kiosk. Although, M$ isn't known for title sponsorship of sporting events, so I highly doubt their involvement.

JoeBob
06-18-03, 10:44 AM
Microsoft is doing a lot more sponsorship with XBox. They've also got a B2B deal going on with Target/Ganassi this year. (Target HQ is pretty much 100% Microsoft stuff.) They also had Ganassi's team using TabletPCs at Indy (and got those on TV).

There's a lot of B2B/Technology Showcase potential in CART.

That said, it could be just about anybody. Oracle is another big money technology company that would be a good fit.

RaceGrrl
06-18-03, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by JoeBob
Oracle is another big money technology company that would be a good fit.

Oracle might be a good fit, but Microsoft, like them or hate them, has the name recognition factor. That is important, IMO. Microsoft still sux though.

nz_climber
06-18-03, 04:02 PM
I think Oracle will stay with the americias cup, cause they have spent alot of money on the americias cup over they last few years and I think they will be back for an other shot at it next time....

But wats an extra couple hundred million

:D