PDA

View Full Version : The Big Man passes

Napoleon
06-19-11, 06:11 AM
Clarence Clemens at 69. I am so glad I saw the band in 09.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/arts/music/clarence-clemons-e-street-band-saxophonist-dies-at-69.html?hp

opinionated ow
06-19-11, 06:42 AM
Another classic blues artist gone :cry:

Add to the list of Bobby Hebb, Solomon Burke etc. in the last 12 months :(

dando
06-19-11, 08:59 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry: x11

I saw Bruce & co. in 12/02...one of the best shows ever. What a huge loss. :(

NJIXkgnOl9c

-Kevin

dando
06-19-11, 11:20 AM
The NJ Legder's 'obit':

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/clarence_clemons_dies.html

:thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
06-20-11, 07:25 PM
IZDC4okR_c0

-Kevin

JohnHKart
06-20-11, 08:57 PM
I've done two stints in a Bruce tribute and so this one hits home. My ex band's camp has ties to the Springsteen camp and last year Clarence's long time assistant went on the road with the band for the tribute gigs and other gigs for some well known classic rock artists the organization is involved with. I had some info this was not looking good, and it's been very emotional and sad to see. The drummer, who is from New Jersey, told me he first caught the Big Man with Bruce in Feb, 1973. The tribute band was playing Saturday and I am sure the show they did night was very special and emotional- I've almost started crying reading the text about it from the drummer. My cover band did Radio Nowhere as a tribute to Clarence Sat night. Loved his playing and persona and this is terrible news.

chop456
06-21-11, 01:48 AM
^ I hear ya.

When I was in grade school, we did Oklahoma! When I found out that both Rodgers and Hammerstein were dead, I cried for a week.

Andrew Longman
06-21-11, 07:51 AM
Springsteen’s oft-told story of his initial meeting with Clemons felt biblical: With a lightning storm raging outside, the Big Man tore the door off an Asbury Park club, strode onstage, and made magic. (Springsteen would later immortalize this meeting in “Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out,” a song on “Born to Run.”)

Was this embellished? Most likely. But reality never seemed quite big enough to accommodate Clemons.

“Mere facts,” wrote Springsteen in the preface to Clemons’ book, “will never plumb the mysteries of the Big Man.”:rofl::cry:

Ziggy
06-21-11, 11:57 AM
^ I hear ya.

When I was in grade school, we did Oklahoma! When I found out that both Rodgers and Hammerstein were dead, I cried for a week.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don Quixote
06-21-11, 01:47 PM
Rogers and Hammerstein are dead?

Napoleon
06-21-11, 03:51 PM
Rogers and Hammerstein are dead?

Yes, but thank God the Gershwin brothers are not.

cameraman
06-21-11, 04:10 PM

I had the same issue with George M Cohan. We did George M when I was in 5th grade. We spent the entire school year learning that show, it's a loooong production. They don't do that anymore:shakehead We all new he had died as he was an old man at the end of the show but still...

racer2c
06-30-11, 10:04 AM
Springsteen's eulogy.

Link (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bruce-springsteens-eulogy-for-clarence-clemons-20110629)

Napoleon
06-30-11, 03:16 PM
Springsteen's eulogy.

Link (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bruce-springsteens-eulogy-for-clarence-clemons-20110629)

You really should warn people that there is a link from your link to pictures of Katy Perry. I will not be able to think of anything else all afternoon.

racer2c
06-30-11, 03:34 PM
You really should warn people that there is a link from your link to pictures of Katy Perry. I will not be able to think of anything else all afternoon.

Oh...I didn't notice...I was too busy rolling my eyes over Bruces self centered, pompous, self serving, crude, semi-narcissistic "eulogy". :shakehead

Napoleon
06-30-11, 03:59 PM
Oh...I didn't notice...I was too busy rolling my eyes over Bruces self centered, pompous, self serving, crude, semi-narcissistic "eulogy". :shakehead

I didn't notice that - too busy staring at Katy Perry's boobs.

stroker
07-01-11, 12:22 AM
Nevermind.

nrc
07-01-11, 12:52 AM
I didn't notice that - too busy staring at Katy Perry's boobs.

As with everything else about Katy Perry, there are plenty of much better ones out there. I really don't get her appeal at all.

JohnHKart
07-02-11, 02:02 AM

I won't get into a war about this, but I didn't see it that way at all and Owen (the New Jersey) drummer and fan of the Big Man, who cried tears over this was not offended in the slightest by the eulogy. Bruce's eulogys are heartfelt and honest and his for Danny's had the same tone as the Big Man's and I didn't get offended by it either. I could feel the love and I enjoyed hearing the stories Bruce told about both men, I just wish they didn't have to die for us to hear them. Ah well, I guess it's like Katy Perry, some like and some don't. (I do).

cameraman
07-02-11, 04:33 AM
I won't get into a war about this, but I didn't see it that way at all

I fully agree with you.

Andrew Longman
07-02-11, 08:11 AM
I fully agree with you.

The skinny scared white kid from Freehold with an ******* for a father found a big brother in the Big Man who showed he was OK. And that it was OK to be and think the things he did. That, actually, he WAS cool.

And he wrote songs about the grace and dignity we all can find even when we've lost hope and our dreams have been shattered... because in the end we are all going to still be here and have to get up in the morning and face the day.

You know...

... in in sixty-nine Chevy with a 396, Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor... with your kid on your lap steering while you drove through town.

Or you know, the takin' all the action you can meet, covering all of northeast state or under that giant Exxon sign on highway 9 in a hemi powered drone trying to look so hard while the wind from the window blows back your hair.

Or meeting that bare foot girl sittin' on the hood of a Dodge, drinkin' warm beer in the soft summer rain..."

I knew that girl. Don't we all? I think the beer was a Schaeffer.

Yeah. The Big Man was bad ass. The Boss is bad ass. Yeah, it's hype and fun. But strip it away and lay them bare and they are still bad ass just doing the best they can with a little grace.

:gomer:

JohnHKart
07-03-11, 03:48 PM
You can download Little Steven's 5 part tribute to Clarence here:

https://bitly.com/bundles/greasylake/6

It' has some cool stories, archive interviews with Clarence and great music.

I downloaded and started listening last night and really enjoyed what I heard.

cameraman
07-19-11, 11:30 PM
Springsteen sat in at a concert in honor of Clemons at the Wonder Bar in Asbury Park a couple days ago.

GDXOZ-0WTRo

and

IEiPkOXrsvg

and

3X9ZAFkAcos

and

pkpf25F8-Ec