PDA

View Full Version : The Mile - what no red hat deals ?

TRDfan
06-17-11, 09:56 AM
Kallmans tweet: "Smacks of desperation"

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/autoracing/124049494.html

racer2c
06-17-11, 10:06 AM
He's 10 years late to the party.

Andrew Longman
06-17-11, 10:07 AM
...and the third year being in a position to really blow it up.Hasn't a promoter done that a couple of times already?

Shame. I always liked the racing there. Flat!!!

NismoZ
06-17-11, 10:29 AM
Yep, I am a very biased road race fan but also was a fan of "Indy" cars ( OMG, did I just say WAS!?) racing on challenging ovals. Milwaukee was always included in my fantasy Triple Crown or Grand Slam season-ending series. The diversity of tracks is what made CART great and a TRUE driver's championship. The Mile, A cookie cutter it AIN'T! Gonna be there Sat., have F-2 & F-3 boat races to see here Sunday.:thumbup:

G.
06-17-11, 12:05 PM
Yep, I am a very biased road race fan but also was a fan of "Indy" cars ( OMG, did I just say WAS!?) racing on challenging ovals. Milwaukee was always included in my fantasy Triple Crown or Grand Slam season-ending series. The diversity of tracks is what made CART great and a TRUE driver's championship. The Mile, A cookie cutter it AIN'T! Gonna be there Sat., have F-2 & F-3 boat races to see here Sunday.:thumbup:

Where's the boat races??

chop456
06-17-11, 12:09 PM
I miss stepping on little kids' frisbees in the infield and breaking them. :(

G.
06-17-11, 12:57 PM
I miss stepping on little kids' frisbees in the infield and breaking them. :(
At the time you said that "he will never forget this". I thought you were being a bit over-the-top.

Nope. He's never forgotten. :D

"Hey g., do you remember who gave you the inflatable race car?" "Yeah, that guy that stepped on my frisbee."
:laugh::rofl:

Great times to remember.

May run up there on Sunday, just because. Remember when going to the races meant you had to plan? :sigh:

devilmaster
06-17-11, 12:59 PM
:rofl:

cameraman
06-17-11, 01:04 PM
I'm confused, there is a race this weekend? All I have been seeing are endless ads for the Iowa Corn 250 on the 26th. No mention of Milwaukee at all.:confused:

NismoZ
06-17-11, 02:21 PM
If it was just the Danica League, I'd probably skip it...but we have yer Midgets, Yer Sprint Cars, Da Silver Crowns, Star Mazda, USF2000 even Indy Lights:rolleyes: The infield is PACKED, one huge paddock.:) Must be a future Indy winner in there SOMEwhere! And, as noted, I've had too much fun there over the years not to try at least one more time.

NismoZ
06-17-11, 02:32 PM
G...almost forgot, try www.thunderonthefox.com (GOTS to get me a t-shirt!) or Goggle APR Superleague. Tunnel boats, baby!:thumbup: Only $10, or free if they let us lean on the bridge railing...not likely.;)

RTKar
06-17-11, 10:37 PM
Midgets and Silver Crowns are pretty cool, saw them race up their a few years ago. They'll probably put on a better show than the earl.

TRDfan
06-18-11, 06:48 AM
Would enjoy seeing the Midgets & Silver Crowns - mix that in with the June Sprints at RA - could be quite a weekend.

But I'm heading to Brainerd for a week at the lake.

SurfaceUnits
06-18-11, 07:59 PM
Must be a future Indy winner in there SOMEwhere!

what,,,driving in nascar?,,,,,,Grand-Am?

SurfaceUnits
06-18-11, 08:01 PM
Simona transferred to Mil hospital. Awake alert, complaining of stiffness

at some point, one must stop caring about people's stupid choices

trish
06-18-11, 09:15 PM
What happened to Simona?

SurfaceUnits
06-18-11, 09:41 PM
Hoping to just make the grid is Simona de Silvestro of HVM Racing, as the Swiss driver’s luck on ovals remains absent. She crashed in turn four and was transported to nearby Froedert Hospital, awake and alert and complaining of minor back pain.

She has already been racing with gloves on her hands following burns suffered at Indianapolis. The team is down to its last Dallara chassis, known as “Pork Chop,” which will have to be repaired if it is to race on Sunday. It remains to be seen as well whether series officials will clear de Silvestro to drive.

HVM crewmembers that have actively tweeted from the @78_PORKCHOP account have yet to provide an update from the car on the popular social networking site.

http://cdn-9.motorsport.com/static/img/mgl/1100000/1160000/1162000/1162400/1162419/s1_1.jpg

SurfaceUnits
06-18-11, 09:43 PM
http://a.yfrog.com/img741/5295/wrnar.jpg

AJ's team is onit

nissan gtp
06-19-11, 09:53 AM
brokeback crapwagon

patski
06-19-11, 10:21 AM
brokeback crapwagon

The only good crapwagen!

indyfan31
06-19-11, 10:45 AM
Whoever that in the background in Simona's picture HAS TO be related to her.

trish
06-19-11, 11:58 AM
I thought it had to be her sister. They almost look exactly alike.

devilmaster
06-19-11, 12:45 PM
Dibs! ;)

TKGAngel
06-19-11, 01:50 PM
She was cleared to drive today. But in other news, she has to wear the Mickey Mouse burn gloves for a year! :eek:

SurfaceUnits
06-19-11, 02:09 PM
if you wonder about Simona's recent spate of bad luck, it's the IZOD curse at work

[IZOD's Mike] Kelly already has selected his new face of the series: 22-year-old second-year driver Simona de Silvestro. Her comeback from a practice crash to qualify 24th despite second-degree burns has become a media sensation. Kelly said, upon meeting her before the season, that de Silvestro "had all the talk of an athlete. There was no BS. She was out to deliver. She had proved herself in the sport. She won in Atlantics. I said, this one was one to watch. She wasn't out to sell watches. She is out to win.

"I'm not worried," he said. "Simona's got story. She's got momentum. I look at Simona, and I'm in love."

gerhard911
06-19-11, 03:07 PM
"She wasn't out to sell watches."

That's gonna leave a mark :laugh:

SurfaceUnits
06-19-11, 04:22 PM
RHR 899 turns short today,,,way to go wanker

http://a.yfrog.com/img640/351/6qwxk.jpg

devilmaster
06-19-11, 04:26 PM
I'm not worried," he said. "Simona's got story. She's got momentum. I look at Simona, and I'm in love."

That's a shot across the bow to someone here... :runs: :D

Cam
06-19-11, 04:39 PM
RHR 899 turns short today,,,way to go wanker

http://a.yfrog.com/img640/351/6qwxk.jpg

Wait a minute!?!?!? :saywhat: I thought I was the sole member of the RHR grand master wanker hate club??? :gomer:

Nice to hear he ran out of talent yet again. :D

chop456
06-20-11, 06:33 AM
The race gallery on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's website has more pictures of Charles Woodson than the race. :laugh:

LOADS of bare aluminum, too. Sometimes even free is a ripoff. Remember being packed in the turn 4 bleachers like sardines before Tony's tantrum? Me, too.

Good job. :tony:

chop456
06-20-11, 06:36 AM
Another JS article on the lousy attendance. And this one's worth reading for the author's name alone. :D

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/autoracing/124168019.html

SteveH
06-20-11, 08:41 AM
coffee on screen

opinionated ow
06-20-11, 10:56 AM
That's a shot across the bow to someone here... :runs: :D

Hahahaha...just limbering up!

(there is a kinda cute English girl I know who might get jealous of my special relationship with Simona...*food for thought*)

Cam
06-20-11, 10:58 AM
Hahahaha...just limbering up!

(there is a kinda cute English girl I know who might get jealous of my special relationship with Simona...*food for thought*)

Translation: Backpacker. She's outta here in 6 months. :gomer:

opinionated ow
06-20-11, 11:00 AM
Translation: Backpacker. She's outta here in 6 months. :gomer:

not quite :p

cameraman
06-20-11, 12:01 PM
She was cleared to drive today. But in other news, she has to wear the Mickey Mouse burn gloves for a year! :eek:

I read this morning that she only turned a couple of laps before she parked the car because she was in no physical condition to be in the car. I hope she does not have one of those infamous crapwagon back injuries that finally get diagnosed on the Thursday after the race:shakehead

Andrew Longman
06-20-11, 12:34 PM
I read this morning that she only turned a couple of laps before she parked the car because she was in no physical condition to be in the car. I hope she does not have one of those infamous crapwagon back injuries that finally get diagnosed on the Thursday after the race:shakehead

Too bad. And sad only 15K showed up.

At this point I am beyond wishing ill on IRL events. What we have is what we have and its continued failure is just reminder of what it was and could be today.

DagoFast
06-20-11, 12:55 PM
At this point I am beyond wishing ill on IRL events.

Not me. I want them to die. :flame: But only after they bring the same amount of suffering on themselves as they have inflicted on everyone else.

SurfaceUnits
06-20-11, 01:13 PM
ABC reports 00000.9 overnite. and again, thank you for watching.

Andrew Longman
06-20-11, 01:25 PM
Not me. I want them to die. :flame: But only after they bring the same amount of suffering on themselves as they have inflicted on everyone else.Maybe so.

But their suffering also reminds me of the suffering the rest of have dealt with.

And I wish certain people in that mess, some newcomers, some not, didn't have to deal with that crap. They deserve better IMO.

SurfaceUnits
06-20-11, 01:34 PM
if you join the circus you get to shovel the crap

stroker
06-20-11, 05:40 PM
if you join the circus you get to shovel the crap

Unless your mom fires you, first...

Don Quixote
06-21-11, 10:27 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/autoracing/124168019.html

If you're Bobby Rahal and it's Father's Day, is there anywhere you'd rather be than watching your son race at the Milwaukee Mile?

"I'm up in the grandstands, people were buying me beers," the Hall of Fame driver said. "I love the Cheeseheads. They're real people, real racers."

He's done more for the sport than anyone. :tony:

Ziggy
06-21-11, 11:47 AM
Screw the IRL, those idiots deserve everything they get

I don't understand the Silvestro fascination either. She keeps it off the wall on occasion. This is the same deal with Fisher (tested the McLaren) Daniclle, yeah, those phones are ringing. Silvestro is nothing but another gimmick. She is with a s***** car, in a s***** team.

Great to see the lack of crowd at Milwaukee. This from a guy who for years had to buy tickets off a scalper. You could not get into the main grandstand.

Bobby Rahal is a GIANT ashbag

mueber
06-21-11, 12:06 PM
Too bad. And sad only 15K showed up.

At this point I am beyond wishing ill on IRL events. What we have is what we have and its continued failure is just reminder of what it was and could be today.

I'm not too sure it would be all that better if we still had CART and the greedy, narcissistic bastards who were running the show. I do know that no one has any reason to carry on if the IRL fails, and that I don't care one way or the other.

racer2c
06-21-11, 12:10 PM
I watched this race. Even with crapwagons its a challenging track that separates the men from the boys (and girls). Of course the entire time I couldn't help but think how sad it was that no one was there but then I quickly reminded myself its the IRL, so props to the folks in WI for being smart!!

I also kept thinking how 'long ago' CART existed in both feeling and reality to me. I don't equate the Forsyth/Kalkovan 'Champ Car' series as being the same thing.
The rodeo guy seems to be grasping at straws instead of having a coherent plan in place (Dario even revealing on live TV that the CEO told him the 'lottery' thing in TX didn't work).

Tony 'The Tantrum' George is months if not weeks away from wrestling his old job back and once that happens the whole thing should collapse a little faster than it is. One can hope.

Did anyone else notice that the back marker teams are showing much more in terms of sponsorship? Looks like mostly offshore groups too with paint jobs that reminded me of the old back markers in CART.

I don't get the Silvestro thing either, other than she's not Danickle.

Andrew Longman
06-21-11, 12:12 PM
You Go Ziggy! :D

I feel you.

As for Silvestro, I saw here race a few times in Atlantics and was impressed by her driving. Unlike another lady in Atlantics, she was fast. She seems to be authentically likable, just happy to be racing, and seems to be channelling AJ Foyt in toughness. OK well maybe not, but she sure doesn't whine about injuries and climbs back in.

I had an unpleasant thought about Danica the other day. She may be mediocre, but she doesn't crash up equipment. She seems to finish a lot, if badly.

Even in her rookie year at Indy she crashed out a few other drivers and took off her own wing, but she did finish.

I hate to say it but that's the first part of staying employed as a racer unless your name is Andretti or Tracy. :gomer:

DagoFast
06-21-11, 12:16 PM
I don't understand the Silvestro fascination either. She keeps it off the wall on occasion. This is the same deal with Fisher (tested the McLaren) Daniclle, yeah, those phones are ringing. Silvestro is nothing but another gimmick. She is with a s***** car, in a s***** team.

I once called Sarah Fisher "Billy Puterbaugh with t1ts." For Simona, i'm going with "Arnd Meier with t1ts." :)

And I agree with the rest of your post. :cool:

patski
06-21-11, 02:52 PM
Screw the IRL, those idiots deserve everything they get

Great to see the lack of crowd at Milwaukee. This from a guy who for years had to buy tickets off a scalper. You could not get into the main grandstand.

Bobby Rahal is a GIANT ashbag

You got that right!

JohnHKart
06-22-11, 02:51 AM
ABC reports 00000.9 overnite. and again, thank you for watching.

Even when watching, I'm not really watching if I'm asleep. Tonight was the third attempt to get through it....(Sunday nite, Monday, nite Tuesday nite) Falling asleep again after starting it back up at lap 140, only to wake up on the white flag lap. Guess I didn't miss much.

NismoZ
06-22-11, 11:43 AM
But, at least you made the attempt. :rolleyes: Hard to figure why so many expend so much effort talking about something they want nothing to do with. Gee, I guess you helped bump the ratings? No, I completely understand your anger, even when it's misplaced. I'd say I'm more disappointed at this late date than I am angry but vulgar talk about some adds nothing to the "debate." Any personal opinion is fine and I am of the opinion that some estimations here concerning Simona are WAY off. She is no gimmick. She is good, VERY good at what she does. Even RM noted she "stepped out of a car that has been rebuilt 12 times in the last 10 years." I think she is quite a bit more competitive than her equipment allows her to demonstrate. The same can be said of many in this series. There ALWAYS seems to be more good drivers than good rides. It's the nature of the game. Is Danica better/ faster than Simona on the flat-out ovals? Sure seems to be, but there IS a wide disparity in equipment there. Is Simona a better road racer? No questIon in my mind on that! Simona was better at age 17. Her considerable talent often overcomes the car's shortcomings. No gimmickry in sight. She is a racer and I wish her nothing but success. If Roger Penske has his eye on her you can be certain everyone else does too. I'd rather see Simona in an F-1 car than Tony Stewart! :D

G.
06-22-11, 12:59 PM
I had an unpleasant thought about Danica the other day. She may be mediocre, but she doesn't crash up equipment.

Yeah, pit crew members usually don't cause too much damage when you hit 'em.

:gomer:

SurfaceUnits
06-22-11, 02:43 PM
I had an unpleasant thought about Danica the other day. She may be mediocre, but she doesn't crash up equipment. She seems to finish a lot, if badly.

amagione how grate racing would be if we had 33 drivers riding around for 3 hours with the only aim being to avoid every else. man that's eggcitement there

pchall
06-23-11, 11:39 AM
Where's the boat races??

http://www.champboat.com/

We had enough rain down here on Tuesday that the first Champboat road race could have been held on some of our major commuter roads on Wednesday... 6" in 30 minutes abput 3pm.

Fortunately I live on the top of one of Cincinnati's 7 hills and still have a dry basement. :) My sister lives on the lower side of one of the 7 hills and I'll be swabbing out her basement later today. :(

SurfaceUnits
06-24-11, 01:40 PM
HVM tweeted Simona still experiencing symptoms (of concussion, I think) and NOT cleared to drive yet. Open weeping in Iowa.

Don Quixote
06-24-11, 01:44 PM
Yeah, pit crew members usually don't cause too much damage when you hit 'em.

:gomer:In every case it was clearly the pit crew member's fault for being in the way. :tony:

Andrew Longman
06-24-11, 02:58 PM
amagione how grate racing would be if we had 33 drivers riding around for 3 hours with the only aim being to avoid every else. man that's eggcitement thereYes. Less eggciting than watching 33 cars crash out. Race won by whomever can push their pile of crap over the finish line first. :tony:

SurfaceUnits
06-24-11, 06:23 PM
Yes. Less eggciting than watching 33 cars crash out. Race won by whomever can push their pile of crap over the finish line first. :tony:

don't give em no ideas, TOney is waiting in the wing

Chief
06-25-11, 10:42 AM
Get you licks in boyz....Randy sez Milwaukee is 99.9999999% GONE. he sez they can't cover their $1.5 million sanction fee with even 30K @ $40 tix each.

So, apparently the 'crack' IRL/Speedway demographers at the Hollywood office have identified a new market where all the peeps are clamoring for IRL Gimmickwagon to play at.....

Road America.:shakehead:yuck:

NismoZ
06-28-11, 01:23 PM
Makes sense. They can run it as a warm-up for the Rolex GTs.:) OR run them WITH the DPs! Only 10 on that grid there this year. They'll need field-fillers next year! INDY cars, DAYTONA cars...don't get NO more better'n'at!:gomer:

NismoZ
06-28-11, 01:39 PM
Or the NEW June Sprints!...THE TRIPLE 150s...Rolex DP/GT Ethanol&Brats 150...Indycar Go Danica 150...and the MAIN EVENT (did you see that crowd!?)... THE NATIONWIDE MAYHEM 150! It's a can't miss!:D

pchall
06-29-11, 04:41 AM
[QUOTE=Chief;294473]Get you licks in boyz....Randy sez Milwaukee is 99.9999999% GONE. he sez they can't cover their $1.5 million sanction fee with even 30K @ $40 tix each./QUOTE]

Soumds like a track rental deal to ,me. ;)

opinionated ow
06-29-11, 08:48 AM
According to the Indystar (I CBF to find the link), they're talking about running back to back races at Iowa Speedway next year, one full quali and race Saturday, another full points payer on the Sunday.

Don Quixote
06-29-11, 09:32 AM
Soumds like a track rental deal to ,me. ;)
We were told that would never happen. :tony:

NismoZ
06-29-11, 09:54 AM
Hmmmm...LOTS of unfulfilled promises being thrown around out there lately, and some of them even matter!