PDA

View Full Version : Baseball?

Pages : [1] 2

Elmo T
06-03-11, 06:52 PM
Not a big fan, too slow for me. My one season of Little League we were 2-14 :laugh:. Even my little guy gave it up for soccer.

Not looking to chat baseball here, but apparently no one else is either. Even ran a quick search for baseball related threads - very little. There is hockey, football & basketball - both college and pro. But there is a distinct lack of baseball talk here. Too slow, too many games, not on Versus? Just a curious observation.

nrc
06-03-11, 08:42 PM
So wait. This is a thread for people that don't want to talk about baseball? Count me in!

Wait. I hope I don't discourage anyone from talking about baseball if they like. Heck, Ank was just nattering on about that flat bat running back and forth version not too long ago and we humored him. :gomer:

I think there's a bit more synergy between an action sport like football and the racing that originally drew most folks here than there is with a slower paced sport like baseball.

I generally don't get sports like baseball and to a lesser degree basketball where there are so many games in a season that most fans won't see more than a fraction of them.

racer2c
06-03-11, 09:02 PM
Can I start a thread for people not to talk hockey too? My parents and sister are huge Lightning fans. After 17 post season games I begged the hockey gods to make them lose so I didn't have to hear about it anymore! It worked!

I do love my Rays baseball though. I'm relatively new to baseball (became a Rays fan when we moved down here 4years ago because i started watching them with my parents on the weekends, then went to a few games and I was hooked). strange thing is, I can't watch any other teams play, just the Rays. Every evening game is on our tv.

Oh, and we need a anti-golf thread too. :)

TravelGal
06-03-11, 09:34 PM
We're huge baseball fans in this house but I'm in on the not talking about hockey thread. Golf, well, uh, some guy I never heard of is now #1. Isn't he?

Anyway, I happen to love baseball, either on TV or at the park. At one time I wanted to get to all the parks (not necessarily in one year) but that dream has pretty much faded. We still go to San Diego several times a summer to watch the Padres play. A holdover from our days living there (and hating the Dodgers for leaving Brooklyn=you do NOT mess with baseball fans).

Dvdb
06-03-11, 09:59 PM
Go Cardinals!

Gnam
06-04-11, 02:28 AM
Watching the SF Giants torture their fans last season was fun.

Napoleon
06-04-11, 06:42 AM
Go Indians.

I like Baseball. I even have tickets so to see the Indians at Fenway this summer.

SteveH
06-04-11, 08:08 AM
Wait till next year. :cry:

RTKar
06-04-11, 09:35 AM

Yea, Cubs fan here :laugh:.

Played the game reasonably well myself and have been to a few hundred major league games. I really enjoy being at a ballgame keeping score on a sunny afternoon. I grew up with it. I truly believe baseball is a game that the more you know about it and its' nuances the greater the joy in watching it. The game is rich in history, like hockey and auto racing my two other favorite sports. TV doesn't do it justice and a good seat near the field brings a better sense of the game, how perfectly the dimesions of the game really are even after 100 plus years.

TKGAngel
06-04-11, 09:45 AM
Can I start a thread for people not to talk hockey too? My parents and sister are huge Lightning fans. After 17 post season games I begged the hockey gods to make them lose so I didn't have to hear about it anymore! It worked!

Wait, the Bolts have fans?! j/k

For me, baseball is more about the experience. I'd rather go to a game, have my hot dog or fried bologna sammich, people watch, laugh at the racing whatevers and then take in the game. That experience is lost on TV between the blathering idiots, ads and more blathering idiots. I also think the baseball season is too long, and I say this as a hockey fan who can handle an 82 game season, plus a 16+ game postseason.

dando
06-04-11, 10:50 AM
Big Dodgers fan here. I can recall watching them all the way back to the '74 WS against the A's. The the rivalry against the Big Red Machine in the mid-70s until the late 80s (listening to the no-no Tom Browning threw against Tim Belcher who had a one-hitter that night). I use to cruise the AM radio dial finding games from @lanta, St. Louis, Philly, NY, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc. Listening to guys like Ernie Harwell, Jack Buck, etc. was such a treat before cable. These days I'm pretty much turned off by the 'Roid Era and now the McCourt fiasco in LALA. :saywhat: In any case, it takes me until about the All Star break these days to get into the game. Oh, and I've been to Cincy (both parks), The Prog (The Jake back then), Wrigley, Old Yankee Stadium, Fenway, new Philly, and Dodgers Stadium. On my bucket list is to go to the rest of them.

-Kevin

dando
06-04-11, 10:56 AM
Go Indians.

I like Baseball. I even have tickets so to see the Indians at Fenway this summer.

I saw the Tribe there back in '08. Caught the only ball I've caught @ a game in BP off of Sin Soo Choo. He hit one onto the warning track in right field. One hop and it landed in my hands ~5 rows back. It was a cold September night, and the clam chowder they sold in the stands was awesome. BTW, make sure you take time for the stadium tour before the game. Worth every dime. :thumbup:

-Kevin

devilmaster
06-04-11, 11:01 AM
Go tigers! you've assembled a team that doesn't fit your park at all, and made one of the largest payrolls doing it. You're desitined to be a 500 team unless a couple teams in the division falter. (thank you Minnesota). But hey, those occasional no-nos (when stupid umps don't mess it up ;) ) and Miggy homeruns are fun, I guess.

Insomniac
06-04-11, 05:23 PM
I was just thinking the year I'm on the Bruins bandwagon and I don't see a hockey thread. How am I supposed to catch up on what happened before the playoffs and learn from people who were paying attention all season? :D

cameraman
06-04-11, 05:30 PM
I grew up watching the Mets...

#shootmenow

dando
06-04-11, 05:50 PM
I was just thinking the year I'm on the Bruins bandwagon and I don't see a hockey thread. How am I supposed to catch up on what happened before the playoffs and learn from people who were paying attention all season? :D

See TKGangel or http://shotsoffthecrossbar.wordpress.com/http://shotsoffthecrossbar.wordpress.com. :D

-Kevin

IlliniRacer
06-04-11, 08:37 PM
Cubs fan here - I even named my oldest son Addison

My first text to my best friend after the Blackhawks were eliminated was - "Now I'm forced to follow the Cubs."

They are flat out bad this year. No way around it. I really need to find something else to take my mind off of them. Maybe I need to take Steve Goodman's advice -

I'd discovered alcohol, gambling, dope
football, hockey, lacrosse, tennis
But what do you expect,
When you raise up a young boy's hopes
And then just crush 'em like so many paper beer cups.

Year after year after year
after year, after year, after year, after year, after year

Andrew Longman
06-05-11, 12:45 PM
I think I am typical of what I understand most baseball fans to be. That's I'll watch "my team" (Yankees) but am hard pressed to watch any other (pro) baseball.

I can't recall the last time I checked in on a Phillies or Mets game and they are on in my market all the time. I never watch national ESPN or Fox baseball games unless the Yankees are on (and even then McCarver and Morgan are enough to drive me batty).

As I understand it that's how it is in most markets. The local team rules. However, I'll check out almost any football game and most hockey games.

I travel a lot and I will watch little league, HS and minor league baseball all the time. It is a purer form of the sport. But I don't seek it out like I do HS football. If I am on the road on a Friday night in Fall I always find a football game. :D

Elmo T
06-06-11, 03:44 PM
So wait. This is a thread for people that don't want to talk about baseball? Count me in! :thumbup:;)

I think there's a bit more synergy between an action sport like football and the racing that originally drew most folks here than there is with a slower paced sport like baseball.

Watched the college rugby finals this weekend with my son. Still not completely clear on the rules - it looked more like a grade school game of "kill the man with the ball" than anything. He now wants to find a rugby association that will let 7yo's play. :laugh:

Ankf00
06-06-11, 03:53 PM
Austin Regional:

Kent State squeezed past Texas State, Texas thumped Princeton, I drank a lot of:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/252350_10100831205828730_7912596_70348382_2927382_ n.jpg

and too much of:

http://www.pequaspirits.com/images/P/web%20002.JPG
+
http://bistrokids.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/minute_maid_lemonade_05032010.jpg
(Minute Maid Field, holler.)

the morning game Saturday, Texas State sent Princeton home (heh), and Kent State lit up our ace, first time all year, to the tune of a 6 run inning and 7 total, 7-2 into Bot 9th, 2 outs, we then put two on, homer to bring it to 7-5, runner on 1st and 3rd, winning run at the plate, out. oh, and I went to class between games [/blog]

the occassion called for higher class beverages:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/pist0lpete_02/Lone-Star-Beer-Cans-Flat-Tops-10-12.jpg

Sunday, coming out of the losers' bracket, Texas would eek out a Bot 9th win vs. Texas State, 4-3, and then proceed to pound Kent State's ace in the nightcap 9-3.

Today, Kent State is pitching some scrub, and we're up 2-0 Bot 6th w/ bases loaded. :gomer:

the accumulation of the weekend's beverages:
http://m.pimpmyspace.org/pimp/1/70/70ff0adac7fa5edfb1bb.jpg

today's beverage:
http://i.dell.com/das/xa.ashx/global-site-design%20WEB/b4828193-c66c-75d7-f86a-d7dca5edf639/1/OriginalPng?id=Dell/Product_Images/Dell_Client_Products/Workstations/Fixed_Workstations/Precision/Precision_T5500/hero/workstation-precision-t5500-left-hero-504x350.png

wait, no :(

Dvdb
06-07-11, 12:00 AM
Ilini, you need to hop on the wagon. Most wins in the majors today.

And I can still name Cubs lineup from the late 60's. Santo, Kessinger, Beckert, Banks, Hundley.......

chop456
06-07-11, 01:12 AM

If your guys could trade Marmol to St. Louis, you'd be in business. $7M/yr. :rofl:

stroker
06-07-11, 11:05 AM
Go Cardinals!

and take the Rams with you!

Napoleon
06-10-11, 07:10 AM
Cubs fan here
. . .

They are flat out bad this year. No way around it.

The Indians had a day game on Wednesday I listened to on the radio and when they gave an update on other games in process there was only one, Cubs vs. Reds, and after giving the score the Indians primary radio announcer Tom Hamilton says "the Cubs are just AWFUL this year".

chop456
06-10-11, 07:16 AM
How much is this stuff, usually? My local boozatoruim had it on sale for $11.99.

I drank a lot of:
http://www.pequaspirits.com/images/P/web%20002.JPG

Ankf00
06-10-11, 11:27 AM
that's a great deal, runs $18-20 for a quality summer morning headache for me down here.

This weekend's shenanigans:
Fri-Sat-Sun
Arizona State @ Texas
Miss State @ Florida
Oregon State @ Vanderbilt
Stanfurd @ North Carolina

Sat-Sun-Mon
UC Irvine @ #1 Virginia
UC Berkeley @ Dallas Baptist (@Santa Clara, haha)
Texas A&M @ Florida State
Connecticut @ South Carolina

dando
06-11-11, 11:58 AM
Lil' Yaz. :thumbup: Yaz was one of may fave players growing up.

-Kevin

Napoleon
06-11-11, 05:35 PM
On the Indian's broadcast today the announcers mentioned that 3 sources have now reported that in the talks between MLB and the Player's Union that a plan being discussed is that one team moves from the NL to AL, Houston being the most likely team, so that each league then have 15 teams, divisions are abolished, they return to a balanced schedule (which they actually did for years after divisions were in place) and the top 5 teams from each league make the playoffs. They said the likelihood of this taking place likely less then 50/50.

Ankf00
06-11-11, 06:00 PM
a) how do you deal w/ playing an interleague game every day w/ 15 team leagues

b) move the bloody brewers back to the AL from whence they came

TrueBrit
06-11-11, 06:08 PM
I am a Cubs fan, what's "baseball"? I haven't seen any played at a professional level by anyone wearing that uniform in years...

RTKar
06-11-11, 07:44 PM
Abolish the DH & return to proper baseball!

IlliniRacer
06-11-11, 09:38 PM
Abolish the DH & return to proper baseball!:thumbup::thumbup:

TrueBrit
06-12-11, 12:21 AM
:thumbup::thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Napoleon
06-12-11, 05:27 AM
a) how do you deal w/ playing an interleague game every day w/ 15 team leagues

b) move the bloody brewers back to the AL from whence they came

a) naturally the proposal means that the 15th team in each league either is idle or playing one of its interleague games while the other teams in their league is playing a league rival.

b) I would take a wild guess they thing before the Brewers move there were too many AL teams in the Great Lakes/Upper Midwest area plus the Huston move would set up an inter-Texas rivalry.

Abolish the DH & return to proper baseball!

I am a big fan of the DH rule, but regardless it should be one way or the other for everyone.

devilmaster
06-12-11, 06:18 AM
I suppose its an interesting concept.

Perhaps its the fact that I root for a team that interleague doesn't do much for. Sure, seeing the Tigers at Wrigley was nice, but honestly, I'd rather see them play the Jays more often. That was a natural rivalry killed by interleague.

My only question would be is the interleague balanced then, or is this just one more wacky idea by baseball to benefit yankees/mets/redsox... And i suppose the litmus test is to see how any new idea affects the rays, jays and orioles.

Ankf00
06-13-11, 01:10 AM
Country road, oh take me home, to the place I belong, Austin Texas, hill country momma, take me home, oh country road.

OMAHA!!!!!!!!!

Don Quixote
06-13-11, 09:43 AM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup::thumbup:

Ankf00
06-13-11, 11:51 PM
UC Irvine chokes away their trip to Omaha in Bot 9th needing only 3 strikes with nobody on, then thy let UVa load 'em up and drive in the game winner. And a&m romped all over FSU in Tallahassee, as every team that visits Tallahassee for Super Regionals seems to always do, like the salmon of Capistrano...

A&M v S.Carolina | Cal v UVa
UF v UT | Vandy v UNC

Ankf00
06-17-11, 09:45 AM
Your Reservations

Upcoming

Element Omaha Midtown Crossing

Dates:
06/18/11 to 06/22/11
Room Details:
Ankf00, 2 adults, 0 children

it's on!
http://www.thesharkguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ollie.jpg

TravelGal
06-17-11, 11:39 AM
Trevor Hoffman, THE best reliever in baseball with 601 saves, lifetime ERA 2.87 in 18 seasons (sorry Mariano), will have his number 51 retired by the San Diego Padres on August 21. WE will be in section 107, back of the home dugout, and staying at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter. Whooooooooohooooooooo!

I happened to click on padres.com less than two hours after the announcement was made yesterday. Snagged a great rate at the hotel before they realized they needed to quadruple the price and snagged terrific seats before anyone else bought them (because the Pads have been abysmal this year).

The thought of hearing "Hell's Bells" at that ceremony sends chills down my spine. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
06-17-11, 01:06 PM
Trevor Hoffman, THE best reliever in baseball with 601 saves, lifetime ERA 2.87 in 18 seasons (sorry Mariano),Good for Trevor, but...

Mariano:

Postseason
Lowest career ERA (minimum 30 innings pitched) 0.71
Most saves 42
Most consecutive scoreless innings pitched 34 1⁄3
Most consecutive save opportunities converted 23
Most two-inning saves 14
Most appearances 94
Most saves in each postseason round 18 (LDS), 13 (LCS), 11 (WS)
Most appearances in each postseason round 37 (LDS), 33 (LCS), 24 (WS)
Lowest career ERA in Division Series history 0.33
Most saves to clinch series 9
Most times recording the final out of a series 16
Most times recording the final out of a World Series 4
Most consecutive postseasons with an appearance 13 (1995–2007)

And at 575 regular season saves, he's not done. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariano_Rivera

Have a blast though :D

TravelGal
06-17-11, 09:17 PM
Good for Trevor, but...

Mariano:

Postseason
Lowest career ERA (minimum 30 innings pitched) 0.71
Most saves 42
Most consecutive scoreless innings pitched 34 1⁄3
Most consecutive save opportunities converted 23
Most two-inning saves 14
Most appearances 94
Most saves in each postseason round 18 (LDS), 13 (LCS), 11 (WS)
Most appearances in each postseason round 37 (LDS), 33 (LCS), 24 (WS)
Lowest career ERA in Division Series history 0.33
Most saves to clinch series 9
Most times recording the final out of a series 16
Most times recording the final out of a World Series 4
Most consecutive postseasons with an appearance 13 (1995–2007)

And at 575 regular season saves, he's not done. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariano_Rivera

Have a blast though :D

I didn't say Mariano wasn't good in the post season. Perhaps the best ever. Sort of the Reggie of the mound. Trevor virtually never even got to the post season. And, yes, he blew a pivotal game. But to have a record like his playing for a team that that generally played like a mediocre college team is even more impressive. Maybe your guy will catch him and maybe not. He's only got 26 to go. But right now Trevor is the all time saves leader.

I can't believe you use wiki instead of baseball-reference.com I think you missed the most impressive stat of all. Mariano has a lifetime 2.22 ERA. Now THAT is better than Trevor but he has had a pretty fair infield behind him. ;)

Have never been to a uniform retiring ceremony so I'm psyched. Even though the chances of the Pads winning the game are, well, about 40/60, the way they're playing this year. I think they lead all of baseball in errors. :shakehead

Ankf00
06-19-11, 04:36 PM
Overheard in Nebraska as a Patel and I walk past 2 dudes: "heh, ok mexicans."

N is for nowledge.

In other news, Florida is legit. Public ivy vs public ivy right now. A&M vs hilljack soulmate South Carolina tonight. And another non-hilljack showdown tomorrow vs Carolina.

It's like the City of Omaha surrounded by the Nebraska Territory.

Ankf00
06-21-11, 09:52 PM
Omaha is awesome. glad I could see our 1 inning of offensive production in 2 games.

CWS is some fun stuff with ppl like LSU & ASU fans coming up every year even w/o their team qualifying.

Don Quixote
06-22-11, 10:04 AM
I love Omaha too, as does Les Nessman.

"Ooohhh, Nebraska. I'd love to go to Omaha. It's one of our nation's leading pork packing centers. The terrain there is so level, so flat, so relaxing. I've often fantasized about going there. It would be like a dream come true. Oh take me John, take me".

TravelGal
07-09-11, 07:39 PM
Jeter, Jeter, Jeter! Loved every second of the excitement today. :thumbup:

dando
07-09-11, 08:11 PM
Jeter, Jeter, Jeter! Loved every second of the excitement today. :thumbup:

What eggcitement? :gomer: I'm an NYY h8r, but I respect Jeter...especially since he did his time here in CBus in the 90s. :thumbup: On a side note, I did some research on the 28 players on the 3K hits list and I was amazed that Ted Williams wasn't on the list. Of course he spent a few seasons in the military in the 40s and 50s.

-Kevin

Elmo T
07-27-11, 08:54 AM
Still not a big fan, but this was pretty good -

aCgLlRoPTiY

Ankf00
07-30-11, 07:01 PM
Good news for you brewers fans. Your first round draft pick is pitching washers in my back yard, his arms looking pretty good.

dando
07-31-11, 12:15 PM
Too bad windmill guy is off enjoying Lutefisk in Sweden, or I'd give him some shizzle for the Rocks dumping their ace to the Tribe. (and getting swept by the Bums) :gomer: :p

-Kevin

dando
08-16-11, 10:42 AM
Congrats to Thomer for hitting #600 last night. Class guy. Deserves more respect, IMO. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Gnam
08-25-11, 07:26 PM
Oakland A's give up THREE Grand Slams to the Yankees. The A's were leading 7-1 going into the 3rd inning. Final score 22-9.

:eek: followed by :shakehead

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/08/25/sports/s161342D20.DTL

dando
08-27-11, 10:38 AM
Vin is returning next season.

Scully, 83, began his announcement in typically unique fashion -- by holding up two chocolate-chip cookies in front of the camera so viewers could see them.

"Every year at this time of year, a nice lady in Woodland Hills named Mrs. Marti Squires sends me some chocolate-chip cookies," Scully said. "This year, when she sent them in the letter, it said, 'This is a bribe to get you to come back next year.' Well, I don't want to make a big deal out of it, you and I have been friends for a long time. But after a lot of soul-searching and a few prayers, and deciding that maybe we can do it, we have decided that we will come back with the Dodgers for next year."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/6900541/vin-scully-return-los-angeles-dodgers-booth-season

:thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Napoleon
09-28-11, 05:47 AM
september collapse of red sox could be worst ever (http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/september-collapse-of-red-sox-could-be-worst-ever/)

High Sided
09-28-11, 09:01 AM
cardinals only one game away!

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_09_27_slnmlb_houmlb_1&mode=wrap&partnerId=LR_wrap#gid=2011_09_27_slnmlb_houmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=stl

dando
09-28-11, 09:53 AM
Dodgers score 5 in the top of the 10th to go up 6-1 on the Dbacks...then give up 6 in the bottom of the 10th on a walk-off grand slam. :irked: This season cannot end soon enough. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-28-11, 11:07 AM
tonight might be a really, really great night for some good ol' fashion schadenfreude :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
09-28-11, 05:02 PM
september collapse of red sox could be worst ever (http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/september-collapse-of-red-sox-could-be-worst-ever/)Yes, but I'd rather they make the playoffs than the Rays. Better for the Yanks to have them sucking wind than have to play a invigorated Rays... Though the Rays haven't exactly been setting the world on fire either. As bad as the Sox have been the Rays should have settled this long ago if they are to be taken seriously.

dando
09-29-11, 12:07 AM
Wow. :eek: Just wow. :eek:

-Kevin

dando
09-29-11, 12:25 AM
To quote the great Jack Buck..."I don't believe what I just saw." :eek:

Ankf00
09-29-11, 12:30 AM
life.

is.

good.

TravelGal
09-29-11, 01:15 AM
Yes, it was quite the night. The rest is going to be like an after thought.

Napoleon
09-29-11, 06:56 AM
Red Sox blew a 99.6% chance of making the playoffs. (http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/bill-buckner-strikes-again/)

Epic!

dando
09-29-11, 08:43 AM
pWaoZvWu6As

:gomer: :rofl:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
09-29-11, 11:25 AM
A night to remember. One of my favorite things from the whole night was how the Orioles celebrated after beating the Red Sox, rushing the field and doing a huge dogpile. Good for them for playing out the season!

TKGAngel
09-29-11, 12:15 PM
Based on what's happened in September to other Boston teams, if I were the Bruins, I'd be watching my back right about now.

dando
09-29-11, 12:29 PM
Last night brought back memories....game 6 of the '86 WS:

t12qml7up-o

:gomer:

-Kevin

Napoleon
09-29-11, 12:50 PM
Well I will be rooting for Detroit to take it all. They are an AL team from my teams division, are a northern team and that city needs some good news.

As to the NL I hope Mil represents.

Racing Truth
09-29-11, 02:19 PM
life.

is.

good.

Last night= Winning!

Best 90 mins. in sports in a long time.

Racing Truth
09-29-11, 02:20 PM
Well I will be rooting for Detroit to take it all. They are an AL team from my teams division, are a northern team and that city needs some good news.

As to the NL I hope Mil represents.

Bud Selig hates you.:laugh:

Napoleon
09-29-11, 02:39 PM
Bud Selig hates you.:laugh:

On a related matter the last link I posted points out, among other things, that if Selig's plan to add an extra wildcard was in place last night would have been meaningless.

racer2c
09-29-11, 03:21 PM
The Rays coming back from a 7 - 0 deficit to take the wild card was the game of the night. Boston has been imploding for quite awhile.

Go Rays!:thumbup:

Ankf00
09-29-11, 03:58 PM
On a related matter the last link I posted points out, among other things, that if Selig's plan to add an extra wildcard was in place last night would have been meaningless.

ya but that's not to say there might not be an exciting finish to sew up the 4th & 5th spots

dando
09-29-11, 03:59 PM
The Rays coming back from a 7 - 0 deficit to take the wild card was the game of the night. Boston has been imploding for quite awhile.

Go Rays!:thumbup:

Except there are those of use who only saw a few bits of the game (only during the rain delay in Bmore on E$PN, a few live look ins on MLB and the end of the game once the Sox finished their implosion). :irked:

An article by Verducci of SI with the time lines, etc. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tom_verducci/09/29/game.162.drama/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2) Quite an amazing 129 minutes of baseball. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Insomniac
10-02-11, 11:51 AM
Yes, but I'd rather they make the playoffs than the Rays. Better for the Yanks to have them sucking wind than have to play a invigorated Rays... Though the Rays haven't exactly been setting the world on fire either. As bad as the Sox have been the Rays should have settled this long ago if they are to be taken seriously.

That's pretty presumptuous. Yankees in the ALCS already. :P

Napoleon
10-07-11, 07:17 AM
Alright, Yanks out in first round. Go Motorcity Kitties!

Andrew Longman
10-07-11, 08:08 AM
That's pretty presumptuous. Yankees in the ALCS already. :PWell, that's what they are supposed to do.

Could not get a friggin timely hit last night. :shakehead

Don Quixote
10-07-11, 09:46 AM
$205 million doesn't buy as much these days as it used to.

dando
10-07-11, 09:51 AM
Mrs. October comes through again. :rofl: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Insomniac
10-07-11, 10:10 AM
Well, that's what they are supposed to do.

Could not get a friggin timely hit last night. :shakehead

If it's any consolation, you were wrong about the other team in the ALCS. ;) Any more predictions? :D

Don Quixote
10-07-11, 10:11 AM
I don't understand how Valverde changed from a disaster in Arizona to invincible in motown.

dando
10-07-11, 10:34 AM
If it's any consolation, you were wrong about the other team in the ALCS. ;) Any more predictions? :D

Pats to win the SB. :p

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
10-07-11, 11:04 AM
Any more predictions? :DPhils. And that kills me. Not that I dislike the Phils, They play the game properly. The are good for the right reasons.

It is the fact that it will make Phils fans become even more irrational and annoying that kills me. At least they are generally better than Mets fans.

Andrew Longman
10-07-11, 11:06 AM

-KevinMaybe. Only four weeks in and I have yet to see them play, I'd say Pack.

And definitely not the Iggles.

Insomniac
10-07-11, 02:29 PM

-Kevin

hah. The media has been declaring them SB champs for years. Until Belichick decides that maybe he needs a defense that could win a game, the Pats are hoping for a perfect line-up of opponents in the playoffs to win #4.

High Sided
10-11-11, 01:22 AM
Cardinals in the playoffs, my season started 2 games ago and tonight was so much better. bring it home boys!!!

High Sided
10-19-11, 01:17 PM
well they brought it home. thankfully i have 4-7 games to watch to help distance my thoughts from sunday's race.

GO CARDINALS!!!
http://www.point-spreads.com/images/stories/2011-world-series-logo.jpg

Andrew Longman
10-19-11, 01:27 PM
hah. The media has been declaring them SB champs for years. Until Belichick decides that maybe he needs a defense that could win a game, the Pats are hoping for a perfect line-up of opponents in the playoffs to win #4.Dallas game was telling IMO. Beat the crap out of each other. In the end the Pats did what it took to win.

I think that is defining for both teams.

Watch.

Is this the NFL thread? they are still playing baseball? :gomer:

chop456
10-27-11, 01:37 AM
http://deadspin.com/5851837/the-man-who-bet-the-cardinals-at-9991-when-they-were-out-of-the-race-is-looking-smart-and-rich-right-now?tag=gambling

TravelGal
10-28-11, 12:55 AM
JEEEEEEBUS. What a game. Some of the best and worst and best I've ever seen. All in one game. Those Cardinals just won't go away!

High Sided
10-28-11, 01:00 AM
best game ever, thank you mr. freese!

41nWlMgtg_o

chop456
10-28-11, 01:47 AM
Wow.

TravelGal
10-28-11, 01:48 AM
HS, you can thank my hapless, hopeless Padres for trading Freese over to you.

I agree, in some sort of odd way, I thought it was the best game I ever saw.

TRDfan
10-28-11, 06:56 AM
And I thought I was going to get to bed early.....

Simply unbelievable.

Don Quixote
10-28-11, 08:50 AM
Amazing. I sure am glad I ignored my initial impulse to turn it off when it was 7-4. A game for the ages.

Elmo T
10-28-11, 08:50 AM
Go Cardinals!

Quote from June!

Who knew.... :eek::rofl:

Ankf00
10-28-11, 10:18 AM
best game ever, thank you mr. freese!

41nWlMgtg_o

got 20 inch blades on the Impala, and his swisher rolled tight.

they were dealing more E's than a young Jay-Z, last night

High Sided
10-28-11, 11:18 AM
TG, well thank you and your padres for giving us the best local boy does good story of the decade! i was ready to accept our loss when down 2 runs with 2 strikes/2 outs in the 9th, Mr. Freese thought differently thank god! then came the bottom of the 11th tied, 2 strikes/2 outs and mr freeze knocks it out of the park!

TravelGal
10-28-11, 02:31 PM
I see MLB has gotten to YouTube and blocked the video. Way increase fans, you jerks. Must be related to the Indianner jerks.

Back to HS, yes, not really having a dog in this fight, I was trying to tell myself it was okay if Texas won because they had never won and all that stuff. But, I kept hoping. TravelGuy and I both jumped out our seats and screamed when Freese hit that home run. The interview afterward was great too, "I'm just glad I got the chance, after making an idiot out of myself before..." Absolutely priceless.

Elmo T
10-28-11, 03:14 PM
I see MLB has gotten to YouTube and blocked the video. Way increase fans, you jerks. Must be related to the Indianner jerks.

If they don't block those videos, folks won't watch the games live. They will pull up You Tube the next day to watch grainy 2 minute clips that pause every 15 seconds. :rolleyes: