PDA

View Full Version : Story behind the making of Senna Movie

Fio1
06-03-11, 06:12 PM
Awesome: :thumbup:

http://bbs.hellof1.com/2337546.html

Cam
06-03-11, 07:29 PM
The last time I set foot in a movie theatre was for Star Trek - Wrath of Khan. When this movie finally gets released it will be the first time back in. Geebuzz! Release it already! :irked:

racer2c
06-03-11, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the link. Looking forward to seeing this!

devilmaster
06-03-11, 09:56 PM
The last time I set foot in a movie theatre was for Star Trek - Wrath of Khan. When this movie finally gets released it will be the first time back in. Geebuzz! Release it already! :irked:

looked at imdb... if its right, early july aussie release...

I'm going to sit down and watch it now... hopefully its the one...

Rogue Leader
06-04-11, 08:46 AM
My friend sent me a copy, I guess its the extended version? Its almost 3 hours. Because it wasn't finalized I guess its a little disjointed, as well 80% of the movie is in English but the non-english parts are many times critical but theres no subtitles (obviously you can usually figure them out especially if you lived through it and remember it). I'm sure for the US release this will be fixed.

That said its so awesome I AM going to pay to see it in a theater!

devilmaster
06-04-11, 09:06 AM
My friend sent me a copy, I guess its the extended version? Its almost 3 hours. Because it wasn't finalized I guess its a little disjointed, as well 80% of the movie is in English but the non-english parts are many times critical but theres no subtitles (obviously you can usually figure them out especially if you lived through it and remember it). I'm sure for the US release this will be fixed.

Ok, thats what I was wondering too. its 162 minutes. I haven't watched it all yet, caught the start though and it looks genuine.

racer2c
06-04-11, 09:39 AM

I saw the same one and couldn't make it through the first 20 min. Fingers crossed that it was a pre release version or even a mockup.

Cam
06-04-11, 09:53 AM
Just had a quick squiz on *cough* 'the bay'. There are 'rents all over the place. I would not waste the bandwidth tho. :yuck:

devilmaster
06-04-11, 10:15 AM
Just had a quick squiz on *cough* 'the bay'. There are 'rents all over the place. I would not waste the bandwidth tho. :yuck:

I noticed it at the zmov...

Fio1
06-07-11, 01:58 AM
I saw it when it was released for a week in February. It is great and well worth seeing. There were subtitles and the movie flowed well.

TedN
06-25-11, 06:23 AM
DVD Coming in Fall 2011 (https://www.tomotorsports.com/catalog/index.php)

Ted

TravelGal
06-26-11, 02:11 AM
Apparently it was at the LA Film fest just now. Tickets sold out in a New York minute if you'll pardon the mixed metaphors. TK (the original: Tommy K) waxed very enthusiastic.

The "official page" is given only as Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/sennamovie

TravelGal
06-26-11, 06:15 PM
Just posted on their page ^^^

SENNA has won the Audience Award for Best International Feature at the LOS ANGELES FILM FESTIVAL!

Cam
07-07-11, 02:34 AM
Finally!!!

Release 11th August (http://www.grandprix.com.au/news/australian-grand-prix-corporation-host-australian-premiere-senna). :thumbup:

chop456
07-07-11, 05:53 AM
^ Sure, but what good does that do us normal people? :D

High Sided
07-07-11, 08:15 AM
seems you can watch it and just about any other movie free online. nearly 3hrs long

Senna part 1... http://www.novamov.com/video/j932f7qsxzhcw

Senna part 2... http://www.novamov.com/video/hficyshcrzjf4

Cam
07-07-11, 09:14 AM
^ Sure, but what good does that do us normal people? :D

Tell ya what Rob. If I win the competition (http://grandprix.us1.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=a4e8b59558b25f429ffd63f40&id=03d0989c98) to attend the premiere in Melbourne I'll take you. :D

TravelGal
07-07-11, 02:08 PM
Good luck, Cam! I'm reduced to scouring the pages of Fandango, hoping it will show up. It's nice to know it's premiering in LA on August 12 but LA is a big place. Where exactly???

TravelGal
07-18-11, 06:47 PM
Senna, the movie Facebook page is releasing cities and premier dates with the theater the movie will be in. Look on the left for "US openings."

If a group is organized (event page on FB), the promoters will send the group leader an official movie poster for each and every member of the group that attends.

August 12, The Landmark, 10850 West Pico at Westwood Blvd.
Directly next door to Barnes & Noble - Enter on Westwood Blvd. or Pico

Anyone interested?

JohnHKart
07-19-11, 12:36 AM
Darn and of course I'm out of town Aug 12. I'm absolutely not bootlegging this movie...or watching it at home. I know from reading the stories in F1 Racing and Motorsport it must be theatre seen.

TravelGal
07-19-11, 03:15 AM
JHK, don't despair. It will be on for at least the weekend if not longer. As it happens, I'm out of town for the rest of the weekend, which is why I posted the opening night only. Still mulling over whether to make it an event on my FB page.

Elmo T
07-21-11, 03:20 PM
1jxSjt3wU3s

TedN
07-24-11, 06:43 PM
Saw this posted elsewhere .... The last 96 hours of Ayrton Senna (http://www.forix.com/8w/senna1994.html)

Ted

Anteater
08-11-11, 12:04 PM
For you Angelenos, I checked the website for The Landmark in Westwood; the movie is playing at least through the 18th (that's the furthest into the future you can search).
https://tickets.landmarktheatres.com/ticketing.aspx?theatreid=267

Now I just have to convince my husband to drive that far for a movie--he has a pretty hellish commute to work, and doesn't even want to see a car during the weekend! I don't blame him.

TravelGal
08-11-11, 12:26 PM
So, Cam, did you get to the movie?

Tomorrow is opening night in LA. Wish I could go as there will be live Q&A after but I'm out of town this weekend. Plan on getting tickets for the 2:20 PM show on Tuesday as I'll be in the neighborhood in the morning.

Cam
08-11-11, 09:50 PM
So, Cam, did you get to the movie?

Tomorrow is opening night in LA. Wish I could go as there will be live Q&A after but I'm out of town this weekend. Plan on getting tickets for the 2:20 PM show on Tuesday as I'll be in the neighborhood in the morning.

Nah, I didn't TG. Wasn't feeling well. Not sure when I will now. Have a full weekend so it might have to be a matinee next week.

RTKar
08-12-11, 07:12 AM
Some more where & whens;

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Films/films_frameset.asp?id=103577

Anteater
08-12-11, 10:11 PM
Would love to go to this, but Seattle's a little bit of a hike!

Special Appearance at the Varsity Theatre
(Seattle, WA):

Novelist Garth Stein, author of The Art of Racing in the Rain, will appear In Person Friday, August 26 for a Q&A after the 7:10pm show and to introduce the 9:40pm show. Plus, all Senna ticket holders who come to either screening with a copy of Stein's book will get a free movie poster!

datachicane
08-12-11, 11:22 PM
Portland Aug 26.
:cool:

Corner5
08-16-11, 10:29 AM
For the midwest-

On the big screen

"SENNA," the highly touted documentary about Formula One great Ayrton Senna, is scheduled to open Sept. 16 at the Downer Theatre on Milwaukee's East Side.

It also will open in Chicago on Aug. 19. A list of venues is available at www.facebook.com/sennamovie.

More movie news

Ron Howard is working on a movie based on the 1976 Formula One title fight between Niki Lauda and James Hunt.

In an interview with Formula1.com, the noted director said the big-budget film won't be a documentary but will be made in a style similar to some of his other works such as "Apollo 13," "Frost/Nixon" and "A Beautiful Mind."

TravelGal
08-16-11, 08:39 PM
I left the movie theater an hour ago and I still can't get Senna's dark, expressive eyes out of my mind. I happened to sit next to some movie buffs. SERIOUS movie fans, as they told me. Yesterday they say the 4 3/4 hr "Mysteries of Lisbon." (!) When Senna ended, I asked, "So, what did you think--as a movie?" They both said, together, "OH! A fantastic movie."

I sat almost dead center and near enough to the front to make seeing the entire screen at one glance a bit of a challenge. BUT it made the in-car cameras perfect. I'm still on the circuit. .................................

For those of you who follow F1 so much more than I do, this is a must see.

Anteater, get Mr Anteater back on the 405 and up to the Westside Pavilion. Parking with validation is free for the first 3 hours or $3 for 5 hours so you have plenty of time for dinner and the movie. Lots of eateries there and along Pico.

Anteater
08-16-11, 10:25 PM
Mr. Anteater's back won't have to suffer the long ride to Westwood after all--they're gonna show the movie at the Westpark 8 in Irvine, starting this Friday. Just in time for his birthday! :cool: :thumbup:

Great news about the Lauda-Hunt movie, too.

Michaelhatesfans
08-17-11, 09:39 AM
Portland Aug 26.
:cool:

I've got tickets for the 7:45 showing.:):thumbup:

Ziggy
08-18-11, 01:27 PM
Oh Aryton, we miss you so :cry:

mueber
08-18-11, 02:37 PM
Aug. 26 in Indianapolis. Unfortunately, I am spoken for that weekend. Let's up it has a long run.

TedN
08-19-11, 01:09 PM
For folks within reach of Toronto .....

A documentary about Brazilian race car driver Ayrton Senna. Directed by Asif Kapadia. 106 minutes. Opens Aug. 19 at the Varsity. 14A

Full review (http://www.toronto.com/article/695526?bn=1)

Ted

Cam
08-21-11, 08:52 AM
Finally got to see it Saturday. I'm still a little bit out on it. It certainly filled in some holes where we didn't have the ESPN type coverage here before I moved in 89/90. (Wide World of Sports Sunday night cliffs notes version was about all we got except for Adelaide back then). There seemed to be some relationships that were really glossed over. I'll go see it again just for good measure and make sure.

FTG
08-22-11, 04:55 PM
Great review in Slate. (http://www.slate.com/id/2301929/)

rosawendel
08-22-11, 05:25 PM
Cleveland: September 9. Cedar-Lee (duh, where else?).

Anteater
08-22-11, 10:49 PM
I was able to attend the 7:30 show in Irvine, CA (the only place where Senna is playing in the OC). Our friends got there before us and saved us seats—good thing, because the theater was completely full!

I thought the film was compelling; the story moved at a good pace, and the in-car scenes were incredible! It amazed me how much archival footage was available to make this movie. Senna came off as a fascinating, charismatic, and passionate racer. Like TravelGal said earlier, 3 days later I’m still seeing those soulful dark eyes and hearing his voice. I was sorry that I hadn’t followed F1 back then—it looked wilder and more entertaining than today’s races (albeit not as safe!).

The audience remained seated until the last credit rolled on the screen—then everyone applauded wildly!

BTW, did anyone else notice that the film rated a mention in this week's Parade magazine?

Rogue Leader
08-22-11, 11:56 PM
Loved it, absolutely loved it. Also loved that I was able to bring my girlfriend to see it and didn't have to explain what was going on. Easy to follow, well paced. Yes the film did kind of gloss over some things, but I have a copy of the full 3+ hour version, trust me, the theater release is much better when it comes to being a movie. The full version I was almost like... lets get this over with already.

I remember watching some of this stuff live (for the limited tv coverage we had here in the US) and it really brought me back. Lot of emotions, and excitement.

Fio1
08-24-11, 01:52 PM
I went to the Q&A with the director, Asif Kapadia, a few Friday nights ago, it was very interesting. I asked what Prost thought of the movie. He said, Prost turned down offers for a private screening in Paris & Switzerland and said he did not open the DVD they sent him because he knows it is wrong. At the end of the day, the movie is called Senna....

Asif also said that Prost was gracious in giving a 4-hour long interview in Paris and that in the DVD there is an hour more of interviews and you get to hear Prost tell his side of the story.

Michaelhatesfans
08-27-11, 02:04 AM
Just got back, and it was everything I wanted it to be.:thumbup:

And even when you know what's coming, accident's like Barrichello's big one at Imola are pretty jarring when you see them on the big screen.:eek:

Rogue Leader
08-27-11, 10:36 AM
Just got back, and it was everything I wanted it to be.:thumbup:

And even when you know what's coming, accident's like Barrichello's big one at Imola are pretty jarring when you see them on the big screen.:eek:

The whole theater let out a loud exasperated "ooohhh" when that happened. I have to admit I winced. Amazing that you can see stuff like that in fiction films and just blow it off all the time, but when you know its real its particularly painful.

dirtyboy
08-27-11, 12:00 PM
I took a bunch of friends that knew nothing about Senna to watch it last night in Portland. They added a second screen because the first one was sold out. They all loved it. I'm sure they were on Wikipedia after reading up on him more.

Michaelhatesfans
08-27-11, 01:56 PM
The whole theater let out a loud exasperated "ooohhh" when that happened. I have to admit I winced.

Same here. And it was very clear that almost everyone in the theater was an F1 fan. Shirts, hats, converstations about the qualifying at Spa, and as you looked around before the movie half the people were using their cell phones to check racing news (not a mullet in the entire crowd, as I noted to my wife!). But even with all that knowledge of what was coming, everyone was quite shaken with some of the accidents, myself included. And Donnolly... ugh!

RTKar
08-28-11, 03:05 PM
Saw it last night in Evanston Ill, cool theater with a piano bar and nice menu. There were about 30 people at the 7:30 show, guys wearing race shirts, one Brazilian guy that got emotional, a couple people talking about Spa. The movie was well done, very haunting, old footage of poor quality on the big screen and official F1 stuff of better quality. Quite a bit of the story, that is now "history", is stuff that I remember as it happened seemingly not so long ago. Prost /Senna is a central theme. I wish there had been more post crash hows and whys. Of course I wish the movie would have been longer, I'd still be at the theater if it was going on. Race footage on the big screen rocks. A dream would be to see the Jimmy Clark and Bill Vuckovich stories done like this.

Rogue Leader
08-29-11, 09:11 AM
Saw it last night in Evanston Ill, cool theater with a piano bar and nice menu. There were about 30 people at the 7:30 show, guys wearing race shirts, one Brazilian guy that got emotional, a couple people talking about Spa. The movie was well done, very haunting, old footage of poor quality on the big screen and official F1 stuff of better quality. Quite a bit of the story, that is now "history", is stuff that I remember as it happened seemingly not so long ago. Prost /Senna is a central theme. I wish there had been more post crash hows and whys. Of course I wish the movie would have been longer, I'd still be at the theater if it was going on. Race footage on the big screen rocks. A dream would be to see the Jimmy Clark and Bill Vuckovich stories done like this.

I'm actually glad they kinda just passed over that, throwing a couple of "it could be this or that" but otherwise left it. It was such a huge point of contention, and with the italian government getting involved, it became quite polarizing and I think the cretor of the film wanted to completely avoid that. There are still plenty of people that basically believe Adrian Newey "murdered" Senna.

JohnHKart
08-30-11, 09:09 PM
The last few weeks have been nuts and I finally am going this Saturday...Maybe Irvine or Pasadena. I think I will be a mess of tears at the end.

Ed_Severson
09-01-11, 09:18 PM
Sitting in a mostly empty theater in Indy, film starting in 5 minutes. Will post some thoughts afterwards ...

Overall, very impressed. Nicely done on all fronts, and I thought encapsulated the man about as well as possible within a 2-hour timeframe.

Some of the old footage was awesome, and there was some pretty neat stuff I'd not seen before. Especially cool to see his amazing drive with Toleman at Monaco in '84, his first win with Lotus in '85, and all of the ups and downs of his war with Prost. The onboard footage from Suzuka in '89, after the accident, was pretty interesting and something new to me. Also enjoyed the footage from Interlagos in '91, winning with nothing but sixth gear, and seeing even the track marshals going crazy in celebration afterwards. The moment with his father, before the podium, was cool to see.

His reactions to the crashes of Donnelly, Barrichello, and especially Ratzenberger, were very visceral.

When Barrichello's crash came along, there was an audible gasp from all 20 or so people in the theater. I've seen it many, many times (as I'm sure they have as well) but it still shocks you. It was particularly disturbing to see how casually the corner workers flipped his car over afterwards, jolting him about in the cockpit. Seeing Ratzenberger completely inert in the cockpit after his crash was also hard to watch.

The footage of Senna in the car on the grid the next day really appeared to me like he knew exactly what would happen to him, and had resigned himself to it.

Riding along with him on the restart, the tension in the theater was heavy. I couldn't look when he went off at Tamburello.

Third movie in my life that ever made me cry. Well worth the price of admission.

Napoleon
09-02-11, 11:20 AM
Cleveland: September 9. Cedar-Lee (duh, where else?).

My brother and I will be attending. I hope they have it there for at least a weeks worth of showings.

PS the facebook page says it will also be at Valley View.

JohnHKart
09-04-11, 05:07 AM
Finally saw it tonight (although it's 2am, in my world im still on the same night). It's incredible how much footage at the end there was of the players in the final weekend, I had no idea. It's amazing the way that car jumped sideways in the final corner. I hardly ever go to movies, and even rarer see documentaries. Last Saturday was the Wrecking Crew (who did the majority of studio work in the 60s) and today was Senna. Awesome work both docs.

rosawendel
09-04-11, 10:57 AM
PS the facebook page says it will also be at Valley View.

definite plus. apparently, cedar lee doesn't have advance tix for it and probably won't until it opens. we have a small group coming from the east and west side, so valley view is probably a better call (and getting tix in advance is a bonus). Thanks for the head's up.

Napoleon
09-04-11, 11:32 AM
definite plus. apparently, cedar lee doesn't have advance tix for it and probably won't until it opens. we have a small group coming from the east and west side, so valley view is probably a better call (and getting tix in advance is a bonus). Thanks for the head's up.

Do you have any idea when you are going?

cameraman
09-04-11, 01:40 PM
It is still making the rounds. Here is the next month worth of dates.

September 9 Asbury Park, NJ The ShowRoom
September 9 Cleveland, OH Cedar Lee Theatre
September 9 Cleveland, OH Cinemark at Valley View and XD
September 9 Tacoma, WA Grand Cinema
September 9 Columbus, OH Studio 35 Cinema
September 16 Kansas City, MO Tivoli Theater
September 16 Las Vegas, NV Regal Cinemas Village Square
September 16 Milwaukee, WI Landmark Downer Theatre
September 16 Raleigh, NC Colony Theater
September 16 San Luis Obispo, CA The Palm Theatre
September 16 Waterville, ME Railroad Square Cinema
September 23 Albany, NY Spectrum 8 Theater
September 23 Bellingham, WA Pickford Film Center
September 23 Maitland, FL Enzian Theater
September 23 Omaha, NB Film Streams
September 23 Salt Lake City, UT Broadway Centre Theatre
Same theatre that played in during the Sundance Film Festival.

September 23 Santa Fe, NM UA DeVargas Mall
September 30 Asheville, NC Carolina Asheville
September 30 Des Moines, IA Varsity Theater
September 30 Shreveport, LA Robinson Film Center
September 30 Tulsa, OK Circle Cinema
September 30 Winston-Salem, NC Aperture Cinema
October 7 Dayton, OH The Neon
October 7 Lancaster, CA Laemmle Blvd Cinemas
October 14 Lawrence, KS Liberty Hall

rosawendel
09-04-11, 06:55 PM
Do you have any idea when you are going?

I think saturday. Either the 7 or 9:30 showing. Group is deciding as we speak. I should know tomorrow (Monday).

TravelGal
09-04-11, 07:36 PM
Still going strong here at the Landmark in Westwood. 5 shows a day. :thumbup:

Fio1
09-05-11, 06:27 PM

wow! It was supposed to be there only a week. That is great news!

mueber
09-06-11, 12:01 PM
Went to the 4:15 show in Indy yesterday. It's really good, and the audience was larger than I expected. Nice all around.

rosawendel
09-07-11, 05:49 PM
I think saturday. Either the 7 or 9:30 showing. Group is deciding as we speak. I should know tomorrow (Monday).

update: 9:30 showing. book it; done.

dirtyboy
09-08-11, 11:32 AM

I see that its still playing in Portland also. Was supposed to be a one night thing. Two weeks later...

chop456
09-08-11, 11:37 AM
^ Sweet. You're not dead! :thumbup:

Corner5
09-08-11, 03:01 PM
They bumped Milwaukee's opening from Sept.16 to Sept. 30.

dang.

http://www.sennamovie.com/

great pic-

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150270681337447&set=o.102440223152596&type=1&theater

:thumbup:

JoeBob
09-09-11, 05:25 PM
Saw it Minneapolis last night. Great movie. It's moving from a single screen theater, to its smaller multiplex across the street today, but it's in town for another week.

Gnam
09-09-11, 09:00 PM
Every race includes on-board camera shots, but riding in Senna's hip pocket is mezmerizing. If you have a chance to see it on a big screen, I would encourage you to make the effort. It's worth it. :thumbup:

There was even some Schumacher hate.

JohnHKart
09-09-11, 09:14 PM
The movie made me think of something. If Flavio cheated at Singapore in 2008, what are the odds he was cheating in 1994 and the Benetton was not legal? Nixon didn't just do one bad thing, it was dozens of unethical things.

devilmaster
09-10-11, 02:12 AM
The movie made me think of something. If Flavio cheated at Singapore in 2008, what are the odds he was cheating in 1994 and the Benetton was not legal? Nixon didn't just do one bad thing, it was dozens of unethical things.

its only cheating if you get caught....

RTKar
09-10-11, 08:57 AM
Definitely see it on the big screen. Make the effort, it's worth it. I forced myself not to watch any online versions so seeing at the theater was fresh.

rosawendel
09-11-11, 12:12 AM
Just got home.

Maybe a dozen people in the theatre (why I got the tickets in advance, I'll never know). Great movie. More info than I knew about otherwise, and additional footage of Imola than I had seen before. Nicely done (and much better edited than the internet version floating around).

Oh, and when you see an "art house" movie, as I think this would be categorized as in that it's not very mainstream, the previews are weird. I'm trying to picture John Lafontaine narrating for one of them: "In a world where a guy wants to build a tornado shelter in his back yard before talking it over with his wife because he hears thunder that no one else hears..."

Napoleon
09-11-11, 05:45 AM
Oh, and when you see an "art house" movie, ..."

But on the plus side that art house theater you went to has beer.

Napoleon
09-11-11, 09:35 PM
Saw it tonight. There was a bunch of stuff I had forgotten about and some great footage. I liked it.

RTKar
09-11-11, 10:12 PM
Theater I saw it in had a piano bar; beer, wine, mixed drinks and a nice menu.:cool:

Napoleon
09-12-11, 08:04 AM
By the way, does anyone know where that wreck is that is shown as part of the ending credits? It has the track more or less blocked and Senna getting out and running to the other car. I remembered it instantly but I can not place what race it was.

devilmaster
09-12-11, 09:14 AM
By the way, does anyone know where that wreck is that is shown as part of the ending credits? It has the track more or less blocked and Senna getting out and running to the other car. I remembered it instantly but I can not place what race it was.

eric comas... one sec... i'll find it on youtube...

[edit]better video with an interview with comas in french... ensure closed captioning is on to be able to see subtitles...

dUyXHG55xQ8

Napoleon
09-12-11, 09:26 AM
^ Mucho Gracias

Rogue Leader
09-12-11, 10:53 AM
Just got home.

Maybe a dozen people in the theatre (why I got the tickets in advance, I'll never know). Great movie. More info than I knew about otherwise, and additional footage of Imola than I had seen before. Nicely done (and much better edited than the internet version floating around).

Oh, and when you see an "art house" movie, as I think this would be categorized as in that it's not very mainstream, the previews are weird. I'm trying to picture John Lafontaine narrating for one of them: "In a world where a guy wants to build a tornado shelter in his back yard before talking it over with his wife because he hears thunder that no one else hears..."

I can highly agree on this one. We saw 3 or 4 previews and 2 of them involved lesbians one of which had a transvestite lesbian (if you can categorize him/her in that way). Perfect opener for a racing film!

Corner5
10-01-11, 10:13 AM
Finally saw the movie last night at the Downer theater in Milwaukee.When we bought our tickets ,they told us there was a lot of interest in the movie and pre-sold tickets.

Early showing(7:05) 3/4 quarters full. Saw a young 15 year old SCCA driver from Plymouth there with his dad.:thumbup:

I thought it was well done and showed the conflict of politics and racing. Hope it gets nominated for an Oscar in documentaries, but that has its own politics also.:thumdown:

Here is the BBC Live version of Senna's crash,14 mins. long. Amazingly(about 10 mins. in) while the track was red and they were attending to Senna,Larousse comes screaming around the corner in his car and almost plows into everyone.

31pBrqpBT1U

RIP SENNA

Napoleon
10-01-11, 11:31 AM
Larousse comes screaming around the corner in his car and almost plows into everyone.

That was eric comas

RTKar
10-05-11, 05:57 PM
Gobsmacked......Yup!

racer2c
10-27-11, 11:52 AM
I'm finally getting around to posting this. My wife and I drove over to Orlando to watch Senna at a really neat movie house back in Sept.
We caught the first showing at this theater and it was sold out. The audience was quite obviously Senna/F1 fans but it was a somber crowd, everyone sticking to their own parties, not wanting to engage in Senna small talk.

Prior to the film the theater manager welcomed us and conveyed that sold out shows were not the norm and for that he was impressed/thankful and touched that this man (Senna) had that effect on people.
He then introduced a gentleman who owns a shifter kart track in Orlando. He is a native Brazilian and grew up watching Senna race. He told the story of the turning point of Brazil as a country and how that related to the perfect timing of Senna emerging on the global stage, a hero and an unabashed Brazilian.
Next on stage was sports car champion, Wayne Taylor who spoke about the people he has known over the years who either worked with Senna, or raced against him. Basically reinforcing what has been said/written that Senna was unbelievable focused, very private and is considered the best ever by his peers, the ones who knew they couldn't put their car where Senna put his car to find grip.

the film. No long winded review from me other to say that it wasn't the documentary I would have made. I thought it lacked essential contributions of his peers/engineers. The documentary is really just a montage of footage edited into a timeline. It was nice to see some of the family footage never seen before (Although I have a Senna documentary made while he was still alive that has similar family footage). The FIA footage that supposedly has never been released was of extreme poor quality in audio and visual.
I also missed post crash elements. I understand the emotional impact of ending right after the funeral, but my documentary would have included the ripple effect around the world his death had on his fans and the auto-racing world (Earnhardt Sr in a post race interview how saddened he was to hear of Senna's death). The drivers standing at the missing car pole position at Monaco etc.

I left feeling like I wanted more but perhaps my expectations where set too high.

In all honesty I thought the Top Gear Senna tribute was better. It had all of the elements I felt the documentary missed. The archive footage was of much better quality, the players spoke, the emotional aspect was there, the world stage hero was conveyed.

I wanted the Senna documentary to be the quintessential film of my of hero. A film that my parents or daughter, nephew and friends could watch and finally understand why i still have a shrine in my office to a race car driver who died 17 years ago. It wasn't it. If anything, I'd show them the Top Gear segment instead.

These pictures are of the outside bar of the theater amongst the Florida flora, a shot of the inside of the theater and of Wayne Taylor speaking.

SteveH
10-27-11, 12:30 PM
Been a while since I've read this. Took some time to find it.

Ayrton Senna: The Last Hours (http://famglas1.home.xs4all.nl/WWW/sennalh.htm)

Very detailed account of the weekend, but not of the accident itself.

Gnam
10-27-11, 04:42 PM
A film that my parents or daughter, nephew and friends could watch and finally understand why i still have a shrine in my office to a race car driver who died 17 years ago.

The movie succeeds in conveying who Senna was, what was important to him, and how he lived. The peeps I took to the movie don't follow racing and never will, but all were surprised by how much they liked him.

Andrew Longman
10-27-11, 07:10 PM
No long winded review from me other to say that it wasn't the documentary I would have made.I think you are correct. It is not what I would have made either.

but I think that's why it works.

The fact that it seems to sell to people who are not race fans, while not seeming alien to race fans, tells me there is something special there.

I know more about Senna than I learned in the movie.

But telling a story about him that is both absolutely factually true and resonates about how he was a member of the human race, not just a racer is pretty cool.

TravelGal
12-15-11, 02:24 PM
Anyone heard anything about when it will be available on blu-ray in the US? A quick check of Amazon still shows on the UK version. :saywhat:

Rogue Leader
12-15-11, 02:25 PM
Anyone heard anything about when it will be available on blu-ray in the US? A quick check of Amazon still shows on the UK version. :saywhat:

Speedgear said February

Gnam
12-15-11, 02:29 PM
According to motorsportcollector.com:

"US DVD release of 'Senna' will be on March 6, 2012. We expect that it will be as a 2-disc set, as it has been for other parts of the world. No word on a Blu-ray version yet."

TravelGal
12-17-11, 01:40 PM
Thanks guys. Sheesh, misses Christmas AND my anniversary. Guess it will just have to be an "impulse" purchase. :D

Trevor Longman
12-17-11, 02:56 PM
Its currently available on the iTunes store for rental only and also on Netflix instant queue. Just came out on Wednesday. Its not the same as a Blu-ray release but its awesome to just be able to see it again. :cool:

Gnam
12-17-11, 06:29 PM
the more you know...

follow up email from motorsportcollector.com:

Since our last Email Update, we've heard back from many of you regarding claims made on several prominent websites and - most recently - in a blast email from another company claiming a US Blu-ray release of 'Senna' (at a rather steep price) coming in late December.

Since this was not the information we were given by our suppliers, we asked Senna's Director, Asif Kapadia to clarify things. This is what he told us:

Paul,

The official US release on DVD and (hopefully) Blu-ray will be in March 6, 2012.

So any version on sale before that will be an import or a bootleg. Therefore it's a gamble.

The only note to pass on to customers who cannot wait until March is that SENNA is now available in the US for rental / VOD from iTunes, Netflix etc.

If they do intend to purchase the film before March, they should buy the UK DVD / Bluray or best the 'triple play' version as it features English subtitles.

Beware the Brazilian / Japanese / Italian versions as they do not have English subs.

Also the customer will need a multi-region DVD player to view these imports.

Best,

Asif

Our friends at Duke Video (the world's largest distributor of motorsport DVDs and Blu-ray) have told us the compatibility of Blu-ray discs produced for other markets on US machines is "hit and miss."

We have been in contact with the people who are negotiating a deal for a US format Blu-ray version of 'Senna' and will report to our email subscribers when appropriate.

TravelGal
12-17-11, 06:50 PM
Appreciate that Gnam. I saw that it was on iTunes but I since I had a chance to see it in the theater, I'll wait until it is (legitimately) out in the US version. No point in getting a CD version for a different region for the sake of a couple of months. The good news in all of this is the negotiations for a US blu-ray. Like Tom Hanks in The Terminal, "I wait!"

Napoleon
04-08-12, 08:31 AM
I hardly ever go to movies, and even rarer see documentaries. Last Saturday was the Wrecking Crew (who did the majority of studio work in the 60s) . . . .

The Bob Edward's Weekend show which airs on NPR this morning had an extended piece with a guy who wrote a book on them. Wow was interesting. I highly recommend listening to it on line to anyone who likes 60's rock/popular music. I had no idea how little some bands played on their own records.

http://www.bobedwardsradio.com/bob-edwards-weekend/

devilmaster
10-20-12, 03:52 PM
M1P1aES8jQU