PDA

View Full Version : World Endurance Sportscar Championship is back

opinionated ow
06-03-11, 11:38 AM
The Automobile Club de l'Ouest and the International Automobile Federation decided in 2012 to create partnership in the World Endurance Championship FIA.

By launching this new Championship, as the COA that the FIA ​​will promote innovation and development of new technologies allowing automakers to demonstrate through the rigor of competition, capacity and inventiveness, as This is an endurance championship, also illustrate their ability to produce vehicles and components as safe as high quality.

The timing of the existing series, Le Mans Intercontinental Cup, will be the base reference program for the 2012 season. The Automobile Club de l'Ouest agrees to incorporate into the calendar, the 24 Hours of Le Mans race which remains the exclusive property of the COA and not a part of this agreement.

To seal the agreement determining the start of the 79th edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans will be given June 11, 2011 at 3:00 p.m. by Jean Todt, President of the FIA.

All details on the World Endurance Championship will be announced by Mr Jean-Claude and Jean Todt Plassart respectively ACO President and President of the FIA ​​at the press conference that the COA will be held on Thursday June 9, at 10 h 00, the Museum of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, located at the North Gate of the Circuit des 24 Heures du Mans.

Jean Todt: "I am delighted with the return of World Endurance Championship FIA, especially with the quality of a promoter such as the COA. I am also pleased that race as legendary as the 24 Hours of Le Mans on the calendar. "

Jean-Claude Plassart: "I am very pleased that we reached this agreement with the FIA, which agreement confirms the validity of the values ​​we stand for automotive endurance eagerly since the inception of the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1923 . Jean Todt has accepted my proposal of giving, Saturday, June 11, the start of the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2011 will celebrate as it should this partnership. "

Google translate from http://www.lemans.org/fr/actualites/Championnat-du-Monde-d-Endurance-FIA-2012-_3846.html

I'm guessing this means the ILMC gets World Championship recognition. I'm wondering if with the ACO (it translates as COA) and FIA buring the hatchett we may see GT1 back at Le Mans before we know it?

NismoZ
06-03-11, 02:15 PM
Hmmm..."World Endurance"..."Intercontinental Cup"...So, how many US races? Sebring? Atlanta? May I put a vote in for the Road America 500? :)

patski
06-03-11, 03:10 PM
Hmmm..."World Endurance"..."Intercontinental Cup"...So, how many US races? Sebring? Atlanta? May I put a vote in for the Road America 500? :)

I'll second that!