PDA

View Full Version : WSJ article on pretty Le Mans cars

cameraman
06-02-11, 10:49 PM
Pretty much just that, a top ten list. Nothing earthshaking I was just shocked to see any article on Le Mans in the Wall Street Journal.

Linky (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303745304576359742152350326.html?m od=googlenews_wsj)

NismoZ
06-03-11, 07:53 PM
Nice, they had my personal favorite up 1st! That year was my 1st for interest in anything other than Indy. Phil Hill and Mike Hawthorn became my instant favorites and Road & Track, Sports Cars Illustrated and Sports Car Graphic seemed to just jump off the rack into my mom's shopping cart! Chuck Daigh and Lance Reventlow in Scarabs were 1-2 at the Meadowdale inaugural that year, too. (My first road race.) Scared the hell out of the Euros who effectively banned them. Engines too big!:rofl: Too fast. Too...American!;) LOVed that TR, though. First saw/heard one in '59, driven by Gearge Reed..."ex:factory team car" according to the race program. What an incredible exhaust note! (I HAD to buy the LP album, "Sounds Of Sebring." HI-FI, man! Still have it, you can hear Phil Hill screaming Italian in the pits!:D...EVERYbody in the neighborhood knew what a Ferrari sounded like after that! Those babies bringing over a million $$ at auction still?

nrc
06-03-11, 09:26 PM
Shelby Daytona Coupe

NismoZ
07-07-11, 07:42 PM
Yep, that one too. So many great cars. That's why I'll be at RA next week. Historic F-1 is back. Bobby Rahal in one, I think. Duncan Dayton drives the WHEELS off whatever he drives there. Tony Adamowicz in an F-5000. Always fun to see which car Brian Redman takes out. Tony DeLarenzo in a Scarab Mk-I. (We may have seen the last of Augie, on track at least. Been looking pretty frail.:( Bet Carl Haas takes out a 356 Porsche in that "race?" A lap or two, maybe? Wow, he ran that in 1956! Can Am at a later meet there this year. Kind of disappointed in that.:( The sounds alone are worth the price of admission and the morning paddock walk-throughs are unmatched. The race car parade from the track and street viewing at Siebkens offer incredible meet, greet and photo ops. Have a place at Siebkens again this year, a considerable upgrade from the puptent I used the first time I was there...in '62!:eek: Oh, and Historic Trans Am and the E-Type Challenge also. Should be fun.