PDA

View Full Version : An outraged Hamilton fanboi...

cameraman
05-31-11, 11:12 AM
... might actually have a point. Some guy with way too much time on his hands did a full scale comparison between Hammy's overtake on Schumacher and his less successful overtake on Maldonado. An analysis with pictures and lines and lovely quoted BBC text.

The upshot is Hamilton took absolutely identical lines on both passes. Identical to within an inch or two. The difference? Schumacher saw it coming and reacted to avoid a collision (how unSchumi-like:laugh:) and Maldonado, well I'll be charitable and just say he didn't:shakehead.

From the front:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8572/hamiltonmonaco2011t1.jpg

From Lewis' car:

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/3797/hamiltonmonacoturn1b.jpg

Cam
05-31-11, 11:18 AM
Pretty irrefutable evidence there.

opinionated ow
05-31-11, 11:35 AM
What that shows is there wasn't the same amount of space for Hamilton to use. It's up to the overtaking car to find a way through, the lead car (in this case Maldonado) has right of way.

Edit: you can also quite clearly see Hamilton was not as far up the inside of him as he was Schumacher.

devilmaster
05-31-11, 11:54 AM
It's up to the overtaking car to find a way through, the lead car (in this case Maldonado) has right of way.

The classic unwritten rule of passing.

Thats why all this evidence doesn't mean much to me. I like Hamilton, but he's passing Candy Maldonado - its Hammy's job to ensure the pass is clean. It sucks that Maldonado apparently didn't see him, try and give enough room to fight for the pass, but there it is. Hamilton's fault. I just wish they weren't so heavy handed since they are trying anything and everything to ensure more passing.

chop456
05-31-11, 12:26 PM
Schumacher was feeling charitable and Maldonado wasn't. Experience plays a huge part in that. Maybe Lewis will learn that his passing shouldn't rely so heavily on the other driver.

Penalty deserved, IMO.

cameraman
05-31-11, 12:44 PM
It's up to the overtaking car to find a way through, the lead car (in this case Maldonado) has right of way.

You must have just hated Senna...

TrueBrit
05-31-11, 01:18 PM
Pretty obvious that Maldonado is a bit of a bastard and Buttmacher isn't....wait...WHAT???!?!?!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Insomniac
05-31-11, 01:59 PM
The problem is there seems to be no such thing as a racing incident in F1. Two cars collide, they have to assess blame and a penalty. I think it was a reasonable move, but prudence would've had Hamilton back off instead of hoping that the other car that is ahead would back off.

Has there ever been a thought that since F1 is obsessed with placing blame they don't assess a race penalty, but instead a fine paid from one team to another?

datachicane
05-31-11, 02:36 PM
The problem is there seems to be no such thing as a racing incident in F1. Two cars collide, they have to assess blame and a penalty. I think it was a reasonable move, but prudence would've had Hamilton back off instead of hoping that the other car that is ahead would back off.

+1

Rus'L
05-31-11, 02:46 PM
The classic unwritten rule of passing.

Unwritten?

It's definitely written like that in the SCCA rule book.

devilmaster
05-31-11, 02:53 PM
Unwritten?

It's definitely written like that in the SCCA rule book.

And there's a whole section of it in the skip barber book.... But there is no one rulebook to all of motorsports. Thats why I said its unwritten.

Every series probably has a statement or two on it, but i don't know what the F1 sporting regulation says.

Rus'L
05-31-11, 03:05 PM
And there's a whole section of it in the skip barber book.... But there is no one rulebook to all of motorsports. Thats why I said its unwritten.

Every series probably has a statement or two on it, but i don't know what the F1 sporting regulation says.

The F1 sporting regulations are avaiable online. I don't have the time right now to check them.

opinionated ow
05-31-11, 07:34 PM

he was dead before I watched an F1 race

Cam
05-31-11, 07:47 PM
he was dead before I watched an F1 race

We know. Your absolute immaturity shows it. :shakehead

TrueBrit
06-01-11, 09:31 AM

I was never a fan of his I have to say. The "dive-bomb down the inside" move has never struck me as being a solid tactic..especially at Monaco...don't care who you are Senna, Piquet, Mansell, Buttmacher or Chocolate Jeebus included..

indyfan31
06-01-11, 12:53 PM
Pretty obvious that Maldonado is a bit of a bastard and Buttmacher isn't....wait...WHAT???!?!?!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I should make a bumper sticker out of that, of course you'll get full credit. :)

Indy
06-01-11, 09:19 PM
He's the best overtaker and the most exciting driver in the series, by far. So they penalize him. :shakehead

If the ****tards don't ruin the sport with their anti-technology rules and their gimmicky ********, they'll get the job done with this blame game. :flame:

opinionated ow
06-01-11, 09:51 PM
He's the best overtaker and the most exciting driver in the series, by far. So they penalize him. :shakehead

If the ****tards don't ruin the sport with their anti-technology rules and their gimmicky ********, they'll get the job done with this blame game. :flame:

No....kobayashiand petrov are the most exciting

Indy
06-01-11, 10:08 PM
No....kobayashiand petrov are the most exciting

They are exciting, yes, but as exciting as Hamilton, the multi-race winner and world champion? I think not. When they prove they can be THAT aggressive AND win, then we can talk.

racer2c
06-01-11, 10:37 PM
They are exciting, yes, but as exciting as Hamilton, the multi-race winner and world champion? I think not. When they prove they can be THAT aggressive AND win, then we can talk.

Yep.:thumbup:

emjaya
06-02-11, 08:47 AM

Well, let's hope that Kob'i and Petrov can get rides in cars that are actually capable of winning Gp's, as Mr Excitment Hamilton has had all his F1 career.

chop456
06-02-11, 08:56 AM
Ding!

racer2c
06-02-11, 09:28 AM
Well, let's hope that Kob'i and Petrov can get rides in cars that are actually capable of winning Gp's, as Mr Excitment Hamilton has had all his F1 career.

Why? Maybe the the FIA should add a sporting regulation that randomly rotates all the drivers every third race. That way fans of the back markers will have something to cheer for.:gomer:

chop456
06-02-11, 11:23 AM
Your statements suggest that Kobayashi and Petrov aren't as exciting because they haven't won races or a WDC. Neither of them are, or have been in a position to do so, so there's no way you can make that hypothetical "prove it" comparison.

Was Damon Hill eggciting?

extramundane
06-02-11, 12:56 PM
Was Damon Hill eggciting?

Hungary 1997, yes. The rest of the time?

3XHXdmSMBog