PDA

View Full Version : I500

trish
05-29-11, 03:12 PM
Who pits from 1st with 3 laps to go? Running out of gas would be the better option in my opinion.

trish
05-29-11, 03:13 PM
What a heart breaking finish.

TKGAngel
05-29-11, 03:18 PM
Talk about the thrill of victory & agony of defeat.

trish
05-29-11, 03:20 PM
I'm glad I recorded this. That was something to say the least.

EVL29
05-29-11, 03:20 PM
He pass me under yeloow!

trish
05-29-11, 03:35 PM
No way is he gonna be able to sleep tonight after that performance.

trish
05-29-11, 03:38 PM
Finish being protested by Panther.

TKGAngel
05-29-11, 03:40 PM
He pass me under yeloow!

LOL. I rewound the TV after you said that, and the yellow lights went on the split second after Wheldon went past Hildebrand.

Trevor Longman
05-29-11, 04:04 PM

Why don't you ask Barry Green how that one will work out for them?

Insomniac
05-29-11, 04:08 PM
Why don't you ask Barry Green how that one will work out for them?

2 months later they decide you were ahead but the result can't be protested so it doesn't matter.

RTKar
05-29-11, 05:16 PM

As it should be. The yellow should have come on the moment, if not VERY soon after he hit the wall, Hildebrand slid quite a ways ON THE MAIN FRONT before the yellow came on. Another fraudulent 500 finish.

I blame his team {spotter(s)} for not warning him of what was ahead and coaching him on what he should have done. Like any driver with adrenelin pumping, he over drove the situation. My buddy and I watching, both said, "No, No" as he tried to drive around the car ahead but still, the yellow ahould have come on much sooner thereby giving him the win on three wheels and a busted up car.

dando
05-29-11, 05:38 PM
The yellow was clearly called late. :saywhat: What about Danny Boy taking the warm up lane earlier in the race? :shakehead :irked: Congrats to Herta, I guess. :saywhat: Sad day for Schmidt and Panther. :( And Penske == epic fail. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Racing Truth
05-29-11, 06:11 PM
As it should be. The yellow should have come on the moment, if not VERY soon after he hit the wall, Hildebrand slid quite a ways ON THE MAIN FRONT before the yellow came on. Another fraudulent 500 finish.

I blame his team {spotter(s)} for not warning him of what was ahead and coaching him on what he should have done. Like any driver with adrenelin pumping, he over drove the situation. My buddy and I watching, both said, "No, No" as he tried to drive around the car ahead but still, the yellow ahould have come on much sooner thereby giving him the win on three wheels and a busted up car.

No protest by Panther, BTW.

I get what you're saying, but I'm glad they waited on it. Having Hildebrand benefit from his own yellow really violates the spirit of racing.

Barnhart also says (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-dan-wheldon-wins-crazy-finish-to-the-indy-500/) that since the #4 was wounded, it could be passed anyway, even if the yellow came out. Honestly, sounds right to me.

At any rate, yellow came out AFTER Wheldon passed him, so it's moot.

Unbelievably cool race.

G.
05-29-11, 06:17 PM
At any rate, yellow came out AFTER Wheldon passed him, so it's moot.

How is that different than 2002? (Except the Tracy part.)

RTKar
05-29-11, 06:19 PM
They waited to pull the trigger. Can't have a driver that may need care and a wounded car win. Makes for a barren victory stand.

gjc2
05-29-11, 06:24 PM

You can pass the car that caused the yellow flag.

Racing Truth
05-29-11, 06:30 PM

Screenshots make it more obvious in THIS case. That said, it appears someone threw on the pit road light before any other display (light OR flag), so who knows.

Either way, gjc is right IMHO.

devilmaster
05-29-11, 06:45 PM
monaco was a great race, with a crappy boring finish.

Indy was a crappy boring race with a wild finish.

Insomniac
05-29-11, 06:47 PM

I wouldn't ever take the Tracy situation into consideration. They screwed him over and admitted as much in their report. Tracy was ahead when the yellow came out. Apparently, Wheldon was too.

Racing Truth
05-29-11, 07:01 PM
monaco was a great race, with a crappy boring finish.

Indy was a crappy boring race with a wild finish.

Agreed on Monaco, disagree on Indy. Thought it was REALLY good all day.

TKGAngel
05-29-11, 07:16 PM
I can't wait to hear the drivers' comments on the double file restarts. There was some complete craziness out there. And does anyone know who was the special snowflake that almost crashed into the stanchion at the start of the pit road/track wall?

emjaya
05-29-11, 07:22 PM
Who won?

Trevor Longman
05-29-11, 07:38 PM
Wheldon won for Bryan Herta's team after JR Hildebrand crashed out of the lead on his own in the final corner of the race.

The Doctor
05-29-11, 07:42 PM
I can't wait to hear the drivers' comments on the double file restarts. There was some complete craziness out there. And does anyone know who was the special snowflake that almost crashed into the stanchion at the start of the pit road/track wall?

Ryan Briscoe. And I only know that because they showed a rearward facing on-board in the outro highlights for the broadcast that showed it to be Briscoe. As usual for ABC, they never bothered to correctly identify Briscoe or the car who took to the warmup lane (Helio).

racer2c
05-29-11, 09:29 PM
Watched with my dad poolside. Nice day, decent race.

EVL29
05-29-11, 09:46 PM
LOL. I rewound the TV after you said that, and the yellow lights went on the split second after Wheldon went past Hildebrand.

I posted this at Atlas...

Not that it matters now.......but the question isn't "did he pas JR before the yellow?",it's "did the yellow come out before DW crossed the finish line?"

If Weldon crosses while it's green,race is over. If it goes yellow before he crosses,the field is frozen and the order reverts to the previous lap.

See Helio/Tracy 92'.

Of course if Panther isn't protesting,then it doesn't matter,anyway.

cameraman
05-29-11, 10:05 PM
Helio's car did not crash in 1992.

If a car crashes you can pass it under yellow. If that wasn't the case the race would have stopped when the first person put it in the wall today.

Fio1
05-29-11, 10:16 PM
The last time I saw a driver choke like that in Indy Cars on the way to his first win was ironically enough, Bryan Herta! Remember the famous Laguna Seca corkscrew pass? Herta braked so early for the corkscrew on the last lap that it surprised Zanardi into making the signature CART pass....

But, it is cool for Dan Wheldon, especially to beat the team that replaced him. I'm glad Ganassi didn't win and Panther managed to beat them at their own game. Too bad, J.R choked.....At least the kid is not in his 30's, so he'll have plenty of other chances at winning the Indy 500. It is heart breaking though. :\

NismoZ
05-29-11, 10:40 PM
Big Crowd, too. Best in a loooong time.

dando
05-30-11, 08:25 AM
Big Crowd, too. Best in a loooong time.

I noticed that, too. My manager was there, so I'll have to ask him about the crowd compared to the past few years.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-30-11, 08:44 AM
Ryan Briscoe. And I only know that because they showed a rearward facing on-board in the outro highlights for the broadcast that showed it to be Briscoe. As usual for ABC, they never bothered to correctly identify Briscoe or the car who took to the warmup lane (Helio).

I figured the warm up lane car was Helio. Thanks for the confirmation on Briscoe.

And speaking of Penske, I just read on Jayski that there were Hendrick Motorsport decals on the wings of the Power/Briscoe cars. Speculation is that this is an indicator of an alliance for engines next year. In addition, Penske officials want to bring Simona on board as the third driver next year, but are struggling to find funding for her. It's thought that Hendrick money might help.

pchall
05-30-11, 10:48 AM
And Penske == epic fail. :thumbup:

-Kevin

I love all the schadenfreude surrounding Penske's failures these days. :)

I tend to root for drivers, not teams and organizations with the exceptions of Chaparral and Jim Hall -- they got me into the sport :) and Team Lotus, which ran Jim Clark. In the 60s Clark was a god in the sport. Donohue was getting there but things went all wrong in Austria. :(

opinionated ow
05-30-11, 11:17 AM
I figured the warm up lane car was Helio. Thanks for the confirmation on Briscoe.

And speaking of Penske, I just read on Jayski that there were Hendrick Motorsport decals on the wings of the Power/Briscoe cars. Speculation is that this is an indicator of an alliance for engines next year. In addition, Penske officials want to bring Simona on board as the third driver next year, but are struggling to find funding for her. It's thought that Hendrick money might help.

Power, briscoe and simona on the same team?!? I think my excitement guage just went past red...

SurfaceUnits
05-30-11, 11:54 AM
nothing liek a 5hunnert mile rectoval parade to get the gomers all giddy

Indy
05-30-11, 03:35 PM
After I heard the finish on the radio, I decided to watch some of the rebroadcast. Overall (and this is hard for me to admit), it was much better than I anticipated. :gomer: Add in cars that look good and sound good and it could be pretty exciting again. Allow some innovation and it could be racing again.

A few other thoughts:

You can pass the crashed car under yellow, so no controversy there.

Damned tough for Hildebrand, but it's not like Barnes was going to pay him, anyway. That crook should be banned from the sport. If I am Hildebrand I would be demanding that IMS cut me a check for my share directly.

I'll bet Penske cleans house after this mess. Surely Power will still have a ride, but the other two are well past their expiration date.

Which position did Danikova win? :laugh:

NismoZ
05-31-11, 01:59 PM
All I can say for certain is the 500 was way better than the 600...if it hadn't been raining here for about 12 hours I might not have seen enough of either to make a comparison. ManyX more empty seats @ Charlotte...NASCAB will NOT allow Princess to remain a part-timer. She'll be rich but struggling for those top 25s.

NismoZ
05-31-11, 02:09 PM
And...two major races, two National Guard sponsored cars, Memorial Day, (sort of) BOTH make it to the final turn of the final lap then...! Calcuate THOSE odds. Oh, and one guy was a JR and one was a Jr. Amazing. Dr. Phil ought to have them on together.:)

Rus'L
05-31-11, 02:58 PM
After I heard the finish on the radio, I decided to watch some of the rebroadcast. Overall (and this is hard for me to admit), it was much better than I anticipated. :gomer: Add in cars that look good and sound good and it could be pretty exciting again. Allow some innovation and it could be racing again.

Yeah, I've been having the same thoughts. It's freaking me out!!!! :eek: :confused:

NismoZ
05-31-11, 05:15 PM
Hmmm...I said somewhere (here maybe?) that Penske had better sign Simona soon, before BE got that same idea to hype F-1. Thanks for reading, Cap'n.;)...PS-any of you who bothered to watch the low level shots of her chasing down Kanaan at St.Pete through that quick S prior to the final turn should have received QUITE an insight!

nissan gtp
05-31-11, 05:45 PM
And...two major races, two National Guard sponsored cars, Memorial Day, (sort of) BOTH make it to the final turn of the final lap then...! Calcuate THOSE odds. Oh, and one guy was a JR and one was a Jr. Amazing. Dr. Phil ought to have them on together.:)

and not ironic. :D

JohnHKart
05-31-11, 09:26 PM
Monaco, Indy and Charlotte: 1300 miles of racing . I enjoyed it all this weekend. What are the odds that two cars sponsored by National Guard at Indy and Cup lead the last lap of the 500 and 600 and both lose it in turn 4 of the last lap? Great stuff!

JH

TrueBrit
06-01-11, 09:36 AM
Monaco, Indy and Charlotte: 1300 miles of racing . I enjoyed it all this weekend. What are the odds that two cars sponsored by National Guard at Indy and Cup lead the last lap of the 500 and 600 and both lose it in turn 4 of the last lap? Great stuff!

JH

I have to agree...First time in a long time I have enjoyed the Memorial Day 1300..

Now I'm looking forward to Lee Mons in a couple of weeks!!!

stroker
06-01-11, 02:28 PM
Okay, so we got a finish that was spontaneously close instead of one that was manufactured. Big Whoop. :shakehead

I damn near gagged watching Miller and Mario giggling about "the buzz is back" about Indy on Wind Tunnel. All you needed to do was watch those videos on ESPN Classic for the years 1960 to 1990 to get a feel for what it was like. Wake me up when they get back to that... :flame:

Elmo T
06-01-11, 02:57 PM
Wake me up when they get back to that... :flame:

Haters :gomer:;)

Don't you know Indy IS back?

For Indianapolis 500, meter moves, if only a tad (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2011-06-01-indianapolis500-mlb-soccer_N.htm)

ABC's Indy 500 on Sunday drew 3.9% of U.S. households, up 8% from last year.

But don't read all the way thru or you hit this gem:

But don't get too excited about a possible TV comeback for a once-iconic event whose ratings have drooped over decades. The Indy 500 ratings should be up this year, given the event last year drew its lowest-ever rating.

Napoleon
06-01-11, 03:35 PM
The Indy 500 ratings should be up this year, given the event last year drew its lowest-ever rating.

Dead cat bounce.

Racing Truth
06-01-11, 03:36 PM
Okay, so we got a finish that was spontaneously close instead of one that was manufactured. Big Whoop. :shakehead

I damn near gagged watching Miller and Mario giggling about "the buzz is back" about Indy on Wind Tunnel. All you needed to do was watch those videos on ESPN Classic for the years 1960 to 1990 to get a feel for what it was like. Wake me up when they get back to that... :flame:

1990 isn't walking thru that door. Welcome to 2011. A lot's changed in 20 yrs. If you're looking for 1990, ain't gonna happen. Period.

On the ratings, meh, I know I what I saw. Eventually (who knows when), that should shift the zeitgeist. But it'll take time.

stroker
06-01-11, 04:24 PM
If you're looking for 1990, ain't gonna happen. Period.

I'd be happy with 1960.

opinionated ow
06-01-11, 07:37 PM
I'd be happy with 1960.

Front engined good old boys and even mass produced cars being called special?

RTKar
06-01-11, 09:19 PM

Those were some pretty good "good old boys" back then while there was inovation in car design, engineers pushing the envelope and speed records yet to be achieved. The 60's are probably my favorite decade of racing.

opinionated ow
06-01-11, 09:59 PM
Those were some pretty good "good old boys" back then while there was inovation in car design, engineers pushing the envelope and speed records yet to be achieved. The 60's are probably my favorite decade of racing.

Don't worry, I actually agree with most of that. Just taking the piss out of some folks i know of who think that dirt track links are satanic

Indy
06-01-11, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I've been having the same thoughts. It's freaking me out!!!! :eek: :confused:

I know what you mean. You and I have not conversed about racing since, let's see, 2007? 2008? It is really amazing to me now the degree to which it consumed me at one point, spending massive amounts of time and money to go to races. Now it's an F1 on TV thingy. Doubt if I will go to Austin, though, because the loss of CART has left me too indifferent about racing in general to justify the cost.

Which leads me to the disturbing question: have they come far enough for me to begin paying attention again? I have all the advantages here in Indy -- knowing insiders, lots of access, etc. I just don't know if it is worth my time. Yet...

RTKar
06-01-11, 10:51 PM
A start would be a better car, for instance the DP01 and to stop marketing Sparkle Pony like a star. She hasn't really achieved much of true consequence on track.

cameraman
06-02-11, 12:18 AM
You clearly don't know what tenth place means.:gomer:

SurfaceUnits
06-02-11, 02:25 AM
96.1% of US households don't know what indy means, thereby missing the most important race in history :rolleyes:

SurfaceUnits
06-02-11, 02:27 AM

wilbur shaw's indy specials were hand made in yurope

opinionated ow
06-02-11, 02:54 AM
A start would be a better car, for instance the DP01 and to stop marketing Sparkle Pony like a star. She hasn't really achieved much of true consequence on track.

If my memory serves me correctly, the DP01 was actually rather rubbish. I distinctly remember gear shift issues, onboard starters that didn't work etc. We know CART was better but lets take off the rose coloured glasses and at least admit the end of champ car was actually pretty crap.

chop456
06-02-11, 04:02 AM
Could a years-long series of unintended flights, tail-heavy crashes and subsequent injuries be attributed to the DP01? You think they wouldn't be better off with that rather than the "current" trash?

SteveH
06-02-11, 07:55 AM
If my memory serves me correctly, the DP01 was actually rather rubbish. I distinctly remember gear shift issues, onboard starters that didn't work etc. We know CART was better but lets take off the rose coloured glasses and at least admit the end of champ car was actually pretty crap.

And the new Atlantics chassis had teething problems the first year as well. However this got sorted out quite nicely. Too bad the DP01 didn't get that opportunity.

The new Indy chassis will probably meet the same fate the first year.

NismoZ
06-02-11, 11:22 AM
Yeah, and too bad we didn't get a turbo Super Atlantic, too. Cotman terrified the League with that thought when he arrived. He was thinking it could replace the current Indy Lights, THEY were worried it could replace the Indy CAR!:laugh: I STILL want to see one. Check that, a whole SERIES full of them! ROAD RACING, baby! Call half of them Fords, half Mazda, all Swifts ( are they even still in business?) Formula USA, Cooper Tires, Cosworth does the engines...oh, well:(

Racing Truth
06-02-11, 02:09 PM
I'd be happy with 1960.

Not happening, either.

Look, almost everyone on either side wants the sport to return to the "glory days"; we just have differing notions of when that was. For some, it's 1963, before the rear-engines completely took over, for others, 1995 and, for others still, somewhere in between.

The three dates do have two things in common, though: One, in none of those yrs. was NASCAR the clear alpha and omega of American motorsports. It is now and, frankly, that probably won't change back. Aided by The Split (though NOT, IMHO, the sole cause), US motorsports went through a profound realignment 15-20 yrs. ago. Once NASCAR became nationalized outside of the Southeast, that was that. Yes, the split both heightened and accelerated this, but it was, SLOWLY, happening before 1996. It strikes me as permanent, barring a colossal Split-esque bout of stupidity on NASCAR's part.

And you know what? I'm fine with that. I know what helped bring this about, but it's 15+ yrs. ago. Once one accepts/understands the reality, it's liberating. The question that's important is this: Is there still A Place for OW in the US? To me, the answer is yes (After Sunday, it's a resounding yes). Good by me.

We can mourn for/be bitter at what has been lost, but what's the point? It's 2011, not 1995. Times have changed and, most of all, will continue to do so. B/c the above three dates also have this in common: They're not 2011. And, by it's nature, OW shouldn't just look back. It must, more slowly than before regrettably, innovate and move forward. So, no, the 2012 car won't be an updated '95 Reynard or a "modern roadster." Will it share some recognized characteristics of the past? Yep, but it will be it's own machine. As it should be.

The "glory days" are gone, and they're not coming back. How one reacts to that is entirely up to them.

KLang
06-02-11, 03:07 PM
The "glory days" are gone, and they're not coming back. How one reacts to that is entirely up to them.

Many of us have simply walked away, probably never to return.

Racing Truth
06-02-11, 03:24 PM

And that's fine by me, BTW. Hey, I'm 27-8, and I hope to have plenty of yrs. of fandom left. For those older (no offense ;)), it might be different. I get it.

Napoleon
06-02-11, 05:22 PM

That is pretty much me. There is no way I could ever get interested in what Indy is "selling".

miatanut
06-02-11, 06:36 PM

It was American open wheel's first go at paddle shifters. They couldn't just lift a system from an ALMS car because it needed to be smaller and lighter. I was disappointed in how it worked out at first, but they got it figured out. What professional level open wheelers have starters? That was something that hadn't been done in quite a long time, and as I recall, the main problem was it just didn't have an adequate battery, and packaging (and I'm sure budget) issues prevented solving that problem. I thought CCWS was a poor substitute for CART, and toward the end I felt they were desecrating the corpse of CART and was glad to see them gone, but I think the DP01 was a decent car for the financial resources available.

It's pretty clear how most are reacting to it.

Yup.

That is pretty much me. There is no way I could ever get interested in what Indy is "selling".

Me too.

A Super Atlantic would be something I could get into. For me and important aspect would be it would need to be entirely road racing and have zero connection to IMS, but that with a Super Atlantic spec could provide some racing I would would watch, and it would be cheaper to run than the current IRL spec.

That's not happening either, so I didn't go to any races last year, won't go to any this year, didn't renew my subscription to Racecar Engineering when it expired last winter and now I just come to a couple racing forums for entertainment. 40 years as an avid racing fan, but no longer.

The ironic thing is, if Tony had sold the take-over as a merger of equals and tried to make a good blend of both, even to the point of fiddling with the boost spec for the Cosworth so the two specs could race together for a year or more, I would have come on board. Instead, he wanted to make sure it was clear to everyone that he had won the war, and it made me resolve all the more to never buy anything he was connected to in any way.

Or to put it more succinctly, my attitude was "Screw 'em!"

Indy
06-02-11, 07:22 PM
Racing Truth, some people are too bitter to ever come back, but many of us have been waiting for someone at IMS to grow a brain and start sanctioning some decent racing. Now, things do seem to be getting a bit better, and the new car may help quite a bit, but the news that Tony ****ing George is back in the game just about kills any optimism we would have had. So I suppose we shall see how it develops.

Regarding your glory days, you miss the fundamental difference between the gomers and those of us here who hated the IRL. The truth is that those were ALL glory days. One era wasn't better than the other, they were just different. And a TRUE Indy fan knows that and wants the sport to continue to evolve. The gomers, on the other hand, are nostalgic about particular aspects of the sport in the past, and they want it to be frozen in their particular era, forever. Thus the Inheritor's attempt to keep Indy relevant by saving oval racing was marketed to the gomers in a cynical way. The gomer is an idiot who hates the world for changing, and he should really be a NASCAR fan. Honest to God fans of AOW just want to see real racing again, and they respect ALL of the history.

Racing Truth
06-02-11, 08:28 PM
Racing Truth, some people are too bitter to ever come back, but many of us have been waiting for someone at IMS to grow a brain and start sanctioning some decent racing. Now, things do seem to be getting a bit better, and the new car may help quite a bit, but the news that Tony ****ing George is back in the game just about kills any optimism we would have had. So I suppose we shall see how it develops.

Regarding your glory days, you miss the fundamental difference between the gomers and those of us here who hated the IRL. The truth is that those were ALL glory days. One era wasn't better than the other, they were just different. And a TRUE Indy fan knows that and wants the sport to continue to evolve. The gomers, on the other hand, are nostalgic about particular aspects of the sport in the past, and they want it to be frozen in their particular era, forever. Thus the Inheritor's attempt to keep Indy relevant by saving oval racing was marketed to the gomers in a cynical way. The gomer is an idiot who hates the world for changing, and he should really be a NASCAR fan. Honest to God fans of AOW just want to see real racing again, and they respect ALL of the history.

I was busy coming up w/ a response to miatanut, before I, err closed the page.:o:gomer: Maybe tomrrow.

Anyway, from everything I've read and judging by the TG/RM studio thing, Tony's really NOT "in the loop" at all. He seems to WANT to be more influential, but that doesn't seem in the offing right now. It's something to keep in the back of one's mind, but just that, IMHO.

As to the second part, I'll disagree. Yes, the original IRL base was definitely stuck with 60's nostalgia (not ALL of them, but a good number). You're right in that many of them HAVE gone to NASCAR, where they are, frankly more comfortable. I wrote way too in-depth about it HERE (http://www.examiner.com/irl-in-national/confronting-indycar-s-past-while-charting-it-s-future).(from 2010) There are STILL a few, on TF for instance, but that number is very miniscule, esp. compared to '96-97.

Which brings us to the CART/CC side. Read the OW forum here at OC, and it won't take you long to find someone lamenting how great '90's CART was before Tony/The Split. From a purely academic POV, I might agree with this, but the point is that too many on "our" side now look back to a past time as well. Instead of '63, it's somewhere between '90-95. Neither is particularly useful to 2011, and the reality of NASCAR's ascension.

The past may not be dead, as Faulkner would say, but it need not cloud the present or, esp., the future.

miatanut
06-03-11, 12:28 AM
Racing Truth, some people are too bitter to ever come back, but many of us have been waiting for someone at IMS to grow a brain and start sanctioning some decent racing.

Screw 'em! It can't ever turn into anything decent as long as the H/G clan is involved. If IMS got sold, even to the France clan, I would be willing to give it a look.

Regarding your glory days, you miss the fundamental difference between the gomers and those of us here who hated the IRL. The truth is that those were ALL glory days. One era wasn't better than the other, they were just different....Honest to God fans of AOW just want to see real racing again, and they respect ALL of the history.

I'm partial to my first experience of racing, before the cars started sprouting wings and I think the late '60's cars were the best looking. The original Eagle being the cream of the crop there. But, I also liked the late '80's Indy cars and the Jordan 191 was the most beautiful winged beast ever, so I can cope with a decent looking winged car. :gomer:

I was busy coming up w/ a response to miatanut, before I, err closed the page.:o:gomer: Maybe tomrrow.

I hate it when that happens. :D I've taken to copying everything a couple times as I edit stuff to save me from myself.

G.
06-03-11, 12:30 AM
And you know what? I'm fine with that.

I'm happy for you, I guess. :\

I know what helped bring this about, but it's 15+ yrs. ago. Once one accepts/understands the reality, it's liberating.Who doesn't understand this?

I do not accept the current replacement. Not interested very much.
The question that's important is this: Is there still A Place for OW in the US? Sure. There's a big void where really good racing used to be. Maybe the IRL can fill that void someday (2013?). Until then, I got some **** to do.

How one reacts to that is entirely up to them.Thanks for that. For a while it seemed like you were trying to talk me into liking crap racing. :o

Anyway, from everything I've read and judging by the TG/RM studio thing, Tony's really NOT "in the loop" at all. Has he EVER sounded "in the loop" on anything?

Is someone stealing my car?

Look, maybe someday I'll like the stuff. I've tried to watch sometimes, it just isn't there. Hell, I might even try to get to a race this year.

Indy
06-03-11, 01:14 AM
Is someone stealing my car?

Does someone have the video of that? It had to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen. :tony:

Kiwifan
06-03-11, 01:31 AM
Does someone have the video of that? It had to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen. :tony:

Basically it summed it up, right there. :tony: :tony:

Napoleon
06-03-11, 07:42 AM

BTW, has anyone ever mentioned to you that you are a real buzz kill. ;)

SteveH
06-03-11, 08:59 AM

6:56

SosO3XDTo8k

mueber
06-03-11, 01:41 PM
I haven't watched it or attended it in years, but in a funny sort of way, I'm happy this year's Gomerville Invitational went down so well. If they succeed, good for them. It's not as if someone is going to come along and do a better job. But I hate the crappy formula, the dancing, flaming, talentless drivers, the cookie cutter tracks.

And it isn't just the IRL. I used to spend a lot of time and money on auto racing, and I might go to Austin if I can afford it, but the love just isn't there anymore, and the mortgage is.

Chief
06-03-11, 02:30 PM
Once one accepts/understands the reality, it's liberating. The question that's important is this: Is there still A Place for OW in the US? To me, the answer is yes (After Sunday, it's a resounding yes). Good by me.
Seriously? What is so liberating about the buffoons in race control deliberately NOT throwing a caution until 8 seconds after a crash? It placed drivers in danger and changed the outcome of the race. You feel THAT'S how this sport is going to recover? THE IRL/IMS lacks ANY credibility what so ever in this regard. Perfect foundation to build the future of the sport from....

I don't give two hoots whether JR or Dave won....but I do care about the selective enforcement of rules. And that's exactly what the IRL did on Sunday.

I can only offer one example to counter 2011, and it's a good one. In 1967, cars wrecked in T4 on the last lap and fat AJ had to pick his way through the carnage from T3 to cross the bricks for the win. Footage available CLEARLY shows the YELLOW light appearing within fractions of a second of the crash occurring.

5mblxuC53sU
go to 4:35 to see caution light flick on

Cars nowadays travel WAY FASTER than 1967. What happened and why did it take them 8X longer to throw the caution in 2011? And, if the IRL sucked in 2003, what makes them any different in 2011? They still SUCK.

chop456
06-03-11, 04:12 PM
I've seen nothing in the last 15 years that made me say "You know what? They really don't suck."

I've also seen no indication that I'll need to say those words anytime soon.

Tony won. And now instead of the Indy 500 being the centerpiece of a valuable series, it's the cherry on top of a steaming pile.

It's over until it's not. And I don't think the bRAyNe trust at 16th and Georgetown will be the ones to bring it back from their face-spiting adventure.

Napoleon
06-03-11, 04:38 PM
. . . it's the cherry on top of a steaming pile.

More like the undigested bit of dinner on top of the steaming pile.

Racing Truth
06-03-11, 04:56 PM
BTW, has anyone ever mentioned to you that you are a real buzz kill. ;)

Heh, I know. Just accepting the reality of it, in that I don't care who runs this thing from now on, it simply won't return to it's pre-95 (or whenever you pick) status ever again.

People who think otherwise only fool themselves, IMHO.

Chief
06-03-11, 08:40 PM
Yeah, well here's the cherry to top that sundae:

This marks the most-viewed Indianapolis 500 since 2008 (7.245M). That said, the 4.0 rating is tied as the second-lowest for the race since at least 1972 (ratings prior to 1973 were not available).

2011 FINAL Indy 500 TV rATINGS (http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/indianapolis_500_hits_three_year_viewership_high/4854985)

Let me reiterate...THE "Most Important Race in History" netted the the SECOND WORST TV rating in it's tv ratings history. Well, if that just doesn't take the starch out of your pants....and NASCAR beat them SOUNDLY again.

Now what? More gimmicks? Japanese Road Courses? The sky is the limit. :thumbup:

Chief
06-03-11, 09:06 PM
I will add that things are looking up everywhere as well....Robin Miller's IRLcar Weekly program has apparently been canceled on verSUs. Coupled with the disposal of the the VerSus website and subsequent NBC Sports website with no Indy 500 info/promotion on it...ComCast/NBC Universal are saviors of Indycar I was told. :confused:

manic mechanic
06-03-11, 10:18 PM
More like the undigested bit of dinner on top of the steaming pile.

Like the stuff they found in Elvis' colon, post-mortem... Yeah, that's it.

The beauty of TV is that it almost does the EARL justice... I mean the uglier the subject, you can always zoom out to a more pleasant/ less vile view of the subject(s), and control of the broadcast audio level makes them merely as annoying sounding as "Baghdad Bob" Jenkins (who drones on much like the Honda boat anchors). :laugh:

manic

TravelGal
06-04-11, 07:37 PM
Yeah, well here's the cherry to top that sundae:

2011 FINAL Indy 500 TV rATINGS (http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/indianapolis_500_hits_three_year_viewership_high/4854985)

Let me reiterate...THE "Most Important Race in History" netted the the SECOND WORST TV rating in it's tv ratings history. Well, if that just doesn't take the starch out of your pants....and NASCAR beat them SOUNDLY again.

Now what? More gimmicks? Japanese Road Courses? The sky is the limit. :thumbup:

Ya had to say it, didn't you. Now they gone and done it.