PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classic

Andrew Longman
05-24-11, 07:07 PM
Been in a hotel for a few days in SLC with ESPNC (I don't get it at home) and they are rerunning old I500s.

Really enjoying it but am reminded big time what wankers USAC has been over the years running the race.

81 officiating screw up with Bobby Unser being excused a win
82 Ridiculously slow start and late flag that got Cogan out of sorts and into Mario (whatever happened to Cogan).
Lots of confusion in T/S over and over.
97 Yellow or it is green flag finish

On and on... HCN/Tracy finish. More.

Still today.

But I also am reminded what Chinese fire drills old pit stops were. No pit lane limit but on the other hand the work of the crew wasn't "orchestrated" nearly at all.

And I'm reminded what could have been without the split... Especially the stillborn 97 race and total lack of professionalism among the teams and competitors. :\

SteveH
05-24-11, 09:17 PM
Not to excuse USAC for anything but before T&S was computerized it was all done manually. At one time IBM employees were responsible for this. One individual was assigned to each car. I worked for someone who was at IBM and actually did the scoring. I don't care how careful and precise they attempted to be, there was no way it could be done without some form of confusion in real time. I don't know how many improvements there were over the years, but until transponders were placed in the cars could it actually be considered automated.

Fio1
05-24-11, 09:38 PM
Cool. Never saw 81 Indy 500; started watching in 82.....

Don Quixote
05-25-11, 07:29 AM
I don't know how many improvements there were over the years, but until transponders were placed in the cars could it actually be considered automated.Yep, it was much easier to cheat in real time once the deal was all computerized. :D

stroker
05-25-11, 09:24 AM
I was about to start a thread about this--I'm recording just about every pre-95 race I can! Gonna have to delete a bunch of my "Justified" and "House" episodes to make room!

Fio1
05-25-11, 11:56 AM
The 81 Indy 500 was fun to watch. The pit stops were really funny; it looked like they picked up the crew at the local Texaco on the way to the track. Luck really did play a part in winning back then; I would say about 33% to 50%. To be honest, doing 205 in the cars of 1981 would be like doing 280 in the cars of today....I liked the way the Intersport car of Ongais looked (before the nasty crash obviously), it looked like the 2012 Indy car.

How did Bobby Unser win that race when he clearly past so many cars under yellow. I know it took 3 months in court, but how the heck did he win that appeal?

dando
05-25-11, 12:30 PM
An amazing assortment of Indy replays this year. '67, '69, '70, '74, '79, '81, '82, '91, '94, etc. :eek: In the past E$PN Classic only showed a few years and repeated them over and over again. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Elmo T
05-25-11, 01:04 PM
1974 -> Sam Posey in the booth :thumbup::thumbup:

NismoZ
05-25-11, 01:34 PM
Fio..can you spell P-E-N-S-K-E ? (that's the way I felt, anyway:flame:)

dando
05-25-11, 01:44 PM
Of course I just learned that TWC moved E$PN Classic to a different tier. :mad: :saywhat: :shakehead :flame:

-Kevin

Elmo T
05-25-11, 02:29 PM
Of course I just learned that TWC moved E$PN Classic to a different tier. :mad: :saywhat: :shakehead :flame:

-Kevin

I didn't even realize I had it until I read this thread :gomer: . I don't spent too much time off the HD package channels.

Looking back at some of these, it was so much more about tradition than just the racing. Make me wonder how some of the die-hard gomeratti put up with the shenanigans of the late 1990's and then some. :shakehead

dando
05-25-11, 02:36 PM
Looking back at some of these, it was so much more about tradition than just the racing. Make me wonder how some of the die-hard gomeratti put up with the shenanigans of the late 1990's and then some. :shakehead

'tis why I was so looking forward to watching these races. We had Classic on our analog band for eons, and I used to watch a few college foosball replays, etc. on it. I stopped watching it regularly when it became the American Gladiator replay channel. :saywhat: In any case, it's just stupid to have a channel like this on an exclusive sports channel tier. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

RTKar
05-25-11, 06:51 PM
Need a SPEED2, nothing but non-nascar racing history, news & talk...F1,Can AM, CART/CC, dirt track, etc..

patski
05-25-11, 08:41 PM
Need a SPEED2, nothing but non-nascar racing history, news & talk...F1,Can AM, CART/CC, dirt track, etc..

Dream on!

extramundane
05-25-11, 09:29 PM
There is a NASCAR-free Speed2. It's a broadband channel only available to about 37 TWC subscribers, but it exists.

miatanut
05-25-11, 11:12 PM
Really enjoying it but am reminded big time what wankers USAC has been over the years running the race.

That's the part you can pick up from the old TV broadcasts. Then there was the aspect where they were in bed with IMS and had stuff like separate technical regulations for Indy from what all the rest of the season used, despite the fact USAC sanctioned the entire season, so if you wanted the best shot at winning Indy, you needed to build separate cars for Indy. Sure, in F1 these days it's practically a new car for every race, but back then in American open wheel, you ran pretty much the same car all year, with some set-up tweaks. That rule cost the owners a lot of money.

Then there was the stuff about who got the "good" pop-off valves at Indy.

I was just elated when the White Paper came out. Finally a chance things would get straightened out.

It was great while it lasted.

cameraman
05-26-11, 12:11 AM
There is a NASCAR-free Speed2. It's a broadband channel only available to about 37 TWC subscribers, but it exists.

Speed2 is coming soon to Dish Network subscribers. Check back soon.

I fear they are using "soon" in the geochronological sense...

extramundane
05-26-11, 07:58 AM
I fear they are using "soon" in the geochronological sense...

I see some Brighthouse and Cablevision folks can get it too. But Dish? Interesting, considering it's a broadband channel. I'll be curious to see how (or perhaps IF) that works out.

SteveH
05-26-11, 08:36 AM
http://www.speed2.com/about

You can check availability here. You can also contact your provider though this site and ask for Speed2 to be added.

TrueBrit
05-26-11, 02:43 PM
How did Bobby Unser win that race when he clearly past so many cars under yellow. I know it took 3 months in court, but how the heck did he win that appeal?

I have no idea...makes you wonder what the hell they were looking at...

Elmo T
05-26-11, 03:01 PM
HOW DID EVERYONE TOLERATE BOBBY UNSER THE COMMENTATOR BACK THEN?

Racing Truth
05-26-11, 03:50 PM

Umm, short of, IMHO, Beekhuis, Bobby and Posey in the booth is the best combo we've had.

Elmo T
05-26-11, 04:02 PM
Umm, short of, IMHO, Beekhuis, Bobby and Posey in the booth is the best combo we've had.

Knowledge, perhaps, but his delivery volume seemed to be set at #11 the entire broadcast.

I wish we could hear Posey more often. I look forward to catching him on the F1 intros. :thumbup:

NismoZ
05-26-11, 04:11 PM
Bobby...you either liked him or you didn't...that's fer certain sure!:)

NismoZ
05-26-11, 04:18 PM
TB...I think the thing (the overturn:rolleyes:) was overturned on appeal because Mario ALSO passed a few (3-4) cars under the yellow line before he "blended" so the alternative was to let them BOTH get away with it or disqualify them both and let the 3rd place guy win. I guess that would have been too radical a decision. Hmmm...who was 3rd that year?

Racing Truth
05-26-11, 07:40 PM
Let me add two things:

1. Like dando, I say SCREW YOU TIME WARNER!:flame: Was looking forward to old 500's, but NOOOO!

2. Look, if you watch, we're going to be subjected to a booth of Scott Goodyear, Eddie Cheever and Marty Reid. I'll take Uncle Bobby over that anytime. Reid, FWIW, is really an effing douche. And he's just as stupid on the NASCAR broadcasts.

Andrew Longman
05-27-11, 12:37 AM
HOW DID EVERYONE TOLERATE BOBBY UNSER THE COMMENTATOR BACK THEN?I've always been conflicted. If he's in the booth at least he's not on the track. And they added him to the booth. He didn't replace anyone and frankly didn't actually add much either. Just a gomer voice.

Jackie, and Chris Economaki, Jim McKay, Lampley, Bill Fleming, Posey... That's who I grew up with and will always be partial.

Gary Gerould and Jerry Punch later did OK IMO.

Beekius and Johnstone have obviously been fabulous but they fill a special geeky role. :D

Andrew Longman
05-27-11, 12:42 AM
TB...I think the thing (the overturn:rolleyes:) was overturned on appeal because Mario ALSO passed a few (3-4) cars under the yellow line before he "blended" so the alternative was to let them BOTH get away with it or disqualify them both and let the 3rd place guy win. I guess that would have been too radical a decision. Hmmm...who was 3rd that year?I'm not sure Mario passed cars, but if did he also at the time radioed in (and USAC was alerted) that Bobby had passed cars. Jim McKay and Jackie instantly pointed it out during the broadcast.

The singularly incompetent thing USAC did was to not immediately say, one way or the other, if a penalty was coming. They had much of the race to impose a penalty and did not.

If Bobby had a defense IMO it was that USAC blew the chance to impose a penalty when Bobby could have done something about it/overcome it. He DID have a stout car that day and all month.

NismoZ
05-27-11, 10:05 AM
Well, Mario exercised just enough good judgement (blending sooner, as he watched Bobby drive away) to cost him the race! That was his reward for thinking USAC would actually have the nuts to stand up to Penske. Initially (post race) they did, then upon " further review" they caved. Unpardonable. Can anyone find Mario's "victory photo" at the yard of bricks with the big trophy? I don't think he was smiling! A story of justice served, then taken away.

chop456
05-27-11, 12:47 PM
^ The newspaper write up of that incident is on the reverse side of my grandfather's obituary.

Steve99
05-27-11, 02:50 PM

I was watching one of the races this week (remember when the Indy 500 used to be a race?) and a car wiped its nose off on the wall, and Bobby Unser and Paul Page started arguing about whether the car could be fixed and brought back out. I thought it was classic.

TrueBrit
05-27-11, 03:43 PM
Bobby Unser drove me up the wall with is commentating....almost as bad as Chris Economaki trying to do F-1...:irked:

NismoZ
05-27-11, 05:12 PM
He drove people up TO the wall as well.:D A very accomplished, aggressive race driver, one of the best. I'll remember him for that and not his down home announcing style. Bobby Unser was a "roundy rounders" who was an EXCELLENT road racer. Got to see him in the Meadowdale USRRC in the Arciero Lotus 19 Chev. Started in row one and led early until his car failed, but his skills were NOT limited to ovals. His Pikes Peak successes are legendary and didn't he beat Mario for the championship in the last race of the '68 season at Riverside? Finished 2nd to Gurney.

Andrew Longman
05-27-11, 07:26 PM
Bobby Unser drove me up the wall with is commentating....almost as bad as Chris Economaki trying to do F-1...:irked:Yeah but Chris could do a pretty good job explaining why Billy Pauch won again at Flemington.:gomer:

Andrew Longman
05-27-11, 07:34 PM
A very accomplished, aggressive race driver, one of the best. If he drove for Penske I'll take Roger's word for it that Bobby was pretty good. ;) And the Pikes Peak stuff speaks for itself.

But brother Al beat my guy Mario twice in the Johnny Lightning Special. And I was a self respecting kid who knew Hot Wheels were far better (and the original). Johnny Lightnings were a cheap knock off and no where near as cool.:D

That started it my hate for all things Unser. Then Bobby stole the win in 81 and cemented it. Booby's booth work petrified it. :gomer:

Lil Al biting the wall against Emmo was sweet justice.

opinionated ow
05-27-11, 11:58 PM
Yeah but Chris could do a pretty good job explaining why Billy Pauch won again at Flemington.:gomer:

Billy pauch is a top driver to this day. He's a gun in a midget, a modified, a sprintcar and goodness only knows what else...

Andrew Longman
05-28-11, 12:14 AM
Billy pauch is a top driver to this day. He's a gun in a midget, a modified, a sprintcar and goodness only knows what else...His kid Billy the Kid Jr isn't too bad either.

And they're my neighbors up the road a bit. ;)

But without Economaki and NSSN not many people would know who they are... jus' sayin'.

opinionated ow
05-28-11, 03:34 AM
His kid Billy the Kid Jr isn't too bad either.

And they're my neighbors up the road a bit. ;)

But without Economaki and NSSN not many people would know who they are... jus' sayin'.

Yep, will agree with that. Isn't Economaki the fat old guy who thinks the sky is falling all the time?

patski
05-28-11, 12:19 PM

TOLERATE? I used to like Bobby when he did color on the CBC many years age. You always know just where he stood on any subject.

stroker
05-31-11, 09:29 AM
I really like the look of the 1969 and 1970 cars. I wish they'd replayed 1976 as I missed that one...

Elmo T
05-31-11, 09:33 AM
TOLERATE? I used to like Bobby when he did color on the CBC many years age. You always know just where he stood on any subject.

I was talking more about his delivery than anything.

Steve99
06-02-11, 06:10 PM
I guess Bobby never bothered me the way he does others. After watching the replay of the '87 500, I now know all about "dirty air".

Racing Truth
06-02-11, 07:09 PM
Those who watched ABC's atrocity of a broadcast Sunday know that Uncle Bobby and Sam Posey were Emmy Award contenders in comparison.

Can I just say this at random?:

Dear Marty Reid,

Go **** yourself.

Hugs,

RT:flame:

stroker
06-03-11, 09:26 AM
I replayed the 1970 race last night, and I just about creamed in my cheese when McKay said that "next week, we'll be going to LeMans for the 24 Hour classic on Saturday and on Sunday we'll be at the first Can-Am race of the season at Mosport..."

917's and 512's at LeMans and M8D McLarens and the Ti22 at Mosport.

Makes you want to eat a pistol.

devilmaster
06-03-11, 09:57 AM

Consider yourself lucky.

CBC was the broadcaster for the first couple Toronto Molson Indys. So CBC used their top sports guy, Brian Williams and invited Bobby Unser to be with him.

Now Brian, being a good sportscaster for the most part, did his job of introducing the sport to people surfing by by asking Bobby questions to inform them. Pretty much all sportscasters do it, its their job. Some people are good at it, some not. I think the secret is to know the sport yourself so you know what questions to ask and probably more importantly, how to ask them.

Problem was, Brian (i don't think) didn't know the sport well at all. Paul Page is a master of asking a question of his color guy during a broadcast to get an informed response without making himself look like he's doing it. (if that makes sense.)

So Brian was out there with Bobby, and seriously, (yes, seriously) this question was asked:

Brian: So Bobby, I see these cars have wings. So at what speed would they take off?
Bobby: Well, Brian, they don't. The wings on these cars are inverted. They help to keep the car glued to the track. (I can still hear bobby say this as I type it.... including the way he would have pronounced each syllable as its own word. in vert ted.)

Elmo T
06-03-11, 10:12 AM
Wow - who knew Bobby Unser was the third rail of motorsports broadcasters. :eek:

And I agree about the current team - especially Marty Reid. Cheever was almost tolerable by comparison.

Racing Truth
06-03-11, 05:01 PM
Wow - who knew Bobby Unser was the third rail of motorsports broadcasters. :eek:

And I agree about the current team - especially Marty Reid. Cheever was almost tolerable by comparison.

If you watch the end again, notice how Marty's trying to get his signature announcer-guy moment in, until Cheever (shouting) points out to 'ole Marty that, err, JR's hitting the wall. Oops.:gomer:

NismoZ
06-03-11, 08:00 PM
So, what's the difference between a wickerbill and a gurneyflap?