PDA

View Full Version : Joplin, MO

IlliniRacer
05-23-11, 06:59 AM
It's really bad. St. John's Hospital is one of my company's hospitals. Got called in to work at 8:00 last night to help out with contingency. Not good at all -

http://cmsimg.news-leader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=DO&Date=20110522&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=105220802&Ref=PH&Item=12&Maxw=640&Maxh=410&q=60

Corner5
05-23-11, 10:02 AM
FWNwZ1IY2p0

Devastating.

Thoughts and prayers to Joplin.:(

Don Quixote
05-23-11, 11:41 AM
Devastating.

Thoughts and prayers to Joplin.:(
It just seems to go on forever. :(
I read where they found xray film from that hospital 70 miles away.
Thoughts and prayers.

KLang
05-23-11, 11:48 AM
Mostly audio :eek:

cQnvxJZucds

dando
05-23-11, 12:08 PM
That had to be an F5. :(

-Kevin

KLang
05-23-11, 02:01 PM
The people that chase these things are nuts.

XT7CtF5ljxY

Kiwifan
05-23-11, 02:14 PM
My heart goes out to you all, just woke up to this terrible news. :cry:

stroker
05-23-11, 02:19 PM
My wife's got elderly family in Joplin. Waiting to hear if they were hit.

RaceGrrl
05-23-11, 03:20 PM
Those videos are terrifying- the first one because of the fear of the people in it, and the second because it looks like the entire cloud has touched the ground.

Stroker, I hope your wife's family is safe. :(

dando
05-23-11, 04:04 PM
Those videos are terrifying- the first one because of the fear of the people in it, and the second because it looks like the entire cloud has touched the ground.

Stroker, I hope your wife's family is safe. :(

That video Klang posted has a Blair Witchness to it. :eek:

Stroker, same from here. Thoughts & prayers that everyone is safe.

-Kevin

stroker
05-23-11, 04:10 PM
Apparently Uncle JD and his missus are safe, but completely oblivious to the damage--says he was "reading about the storm in the newspaper"... :saywhat: :shakehead:

dunno 'bout you guys, but I'm about ready to start getting my bug-out bag ready. This year is looking like a bad one. Next thing ya know the damned New Madrid fault will belch...

EDwardo
05-23-11, 04:19 PM
I was planning a short road trip today to visit an old friend that lives near Joplin. His sister called me last night and recommended that I postpone my visit. She told me that I-44 was shut down and that Joplin had been flattened by a big tornado. She did tell me that she and her family were safe and that the tornado had lifted by the time the storm passed over her home.
I have several friends that live or work in Joplin and I am hoping that they are all OK. I'm not trying to call them right now because I have heard that most communications are still out in the area.

Elmo T
05-23-11, 04:39 PM
but I'm about ready to start getting my bug-out bag ready.

My wife is on me about restoring the family disaster kit we put together after 9/11. The old kit got assimilated into the pantry/camping supplies or otherwised used. Probably not a bad idea - zombies or not.

CNN on the tube now saying serious tornado weather for tomorrow. :(

Following FB posts from a few firefighters I know out that way. Sounds like there are lots of responders with boots on the ground BUT lots of work ahead.

Napoleon
05-23-11, 04:56 PM
The tornado as seen from space:

http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/MediaDetail.php?MediaID=739&MediaTypeID=1

TravelGal
05-23-11, 06:41 PM
My wife is on me about restoring the family disaster kit we put together after 9/11. The old kit got assimilated into the pantry/camping supplies or otherwised used. Probably not a bad idea - zombies or not.

CNN on the tube now saying serious tornado weather for tomorrow. :(

Breathtaking, and not in a good way.

Good idea to get that kit going again. Food, water, wipes, etc. We re-up our kit every May. When the Postal Carriers make their food drive, it reminds us to go through the pantry, donate a lot and refill more. I've always kept a little cash in my safe deposit box for emergencies. Seems like it's not quite a safe there as I thought. Mind wind up with someone's X-rays in Hawaii.

IlliniRacer
05-23-11, 06:53 PM
Heading home to get some rest.

Had all patients out of the hospital by 4 am

5 confirmed fatalities at the hospital. 4 patients and 1 visitors. We've been working all day on trying to confirm the whereabouts and well-being of co-workers and their families.

Preliminary reports are that the hospital may be a total loss.

Please keep these people in your prayers.

SteveH
05-23-11, 09:43 PM
Please keep these people in your prayers.

And you as well. Stay safe.

cameraman
05-24-11, 01:29 PM
From 2000 to 2010, the NOAA tornado database has 604 fatalities.
In 2011, the total, as of 5/24, is 481.

KLang
05-24-11, 01:34 PM
Nasty weather year so far. Hope hurricane season doesn't follow suit. :saywhat:

Napoleon
05-24-11, 03:19 PM
NY Times is reporting that city officials say that 1500 people are currently unaccounted for.

NismoZ
05-24-11, 06:03 PM
That fly-over vid reminded me of the aerial low level pass above Berlin just after VE-Day. A real war zone look to it. Wow. Both scenes have made an unforgettable impact.

SteveH
05-24-11, 06:17 PM
Joplin is in line for more tonight. OK City just got hit.

TKGAngel
05-24-11, 07:18 PM
MSNBC just showed the local OK City TV station helicopter as the first responders on the scene of a destroyed house. Luckily, the family in the house got out alright.

I will never, ever complain about snow ever again.

TravelGal
05-25-11, 02:11 PM
Praying for YOU, IlliniRacer. Keep yourself strong so you can help the others.

stroker
05-25-11, 02:24 PM
The western part of Missouri is like a giant pinball game for twisters today. Got one 30 miles from us and more coming...

dando
05-25-11, 09:35 PM
The Mrs.'s logic is to unplug the weather radio when it goes off. :saywhat: :irked: :mad: The most severe outbreak I can remember since 1974. :( I'll leave the screaming girls from 12-6am to her. :D Of course I get the duty of watching the weather and asked about the forecast, but then you know what when the weather turns.... :saywhat:

-Kevin

TravelGal
05-25-11, 09:49 PM
The Mrs.'s logic is to unplug the weather radio when it goes off. :saywhat: :irked: :mad: The most severe outbreak I can remember since 1974. :( I'll leave the screaming girls from 12-6am to her. :D Of course I get the duty of watching the weather and asked about the forecast, but then you know what when the weather turns.... :saywhat:

-Kevin

Mother Machree. I didn't know this site allowed that many (non)smilies. !!!!

Tifosi24
05-25-11, 10:19 PM

-Kevin

Be careful tonight, or just sleep in the basement. It looks like some giant storms will be rolling through Ohio this evening. The Weather Channel just said that straight line winds up to 90mph :eek: are heading through Indiana right now.

dando
05-25-11, 11:02 PM
Be careful tonight, or just sleep in the basement. It looks like some giant storms will be rolling through Ohio this evening. The Weather Channel just said that straight line winds up to 90mph :eek: are heading through Indiana right now.

A light show beyond belief tonight. I've been out with the dogs a few times and the cloud-to-cloud lightning is just incredible. :eek: I haven't seen anything like this in many, many, many, many years. :saywhat:

-Kevin

SteveH
05-26-11, 08:31 AM
aerial view of Joplin (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391075/The-block-scar-Amazing-satellite-photos-pinpoint-devastation-Joplin-town-wiped-map-deadliest-tornado-modern-times.html)

no words....

dando
05-26-11, 09:12 AM
aerial view of Joplin (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391075/The-block-scar-Amazing-satellite-photos-pinpoint-devastation-Joplin-town-wiped-map-deadliest-tornado-modern-times.html)

no words....

:(

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-26-11, 09:54 AM

no words....

Damn.

And in other storm news, based on what I could follow on Twitter last night, tornado warnings in Indy forced several drivers to hole up inside the KV Racing garage at the Speedway. Kanaan, Viso, Franchitti, RHR and Johnny Rutherford all rode out the storm together. (JR even saying that if the tornado was going to take him, he'd rather it be in the garage than in the bathroom.)

Don Quixote
05-26-11, 10:08 AM
hard to imagine that much force in a storm.

Napoleon
05-26-11, 10:34 AM
hard to imagine that much force in a storm.

In 1985 a tornado (an F5) hit where near I live (see link below), and I had to travel to work crossing its path every day, and I know this sounds cliché, but it is true, TV just does not do justice to the damage, particularly the details. Near where I would cross the path was an oil and gas separating tank that was maybe ¼ inch steal thick just crushed and torn open like a beer can. The entire landscape was covered by a fine dust, like you had just wandered into God’s basement which had not been disturbed for 30 years. Bikes were in trees, wood rammed through what you thought were solid objects, etc. One client of our office even settled a damage claim with their insurance company (it took their barn and garage attached by a breezeway, but left the house) but in the fall when they turned on their heat they realized that because of the extreme low pressure as the tornado passed the duct work in their house collapsed.

http://www.may311985tornadoes.com/

TravelGal
05-26-11, 12:18 PM
Related to storm damage in the area:
American Cancelled 20% Of Their Flights
American Airlines and American Eagle canceled 707 flights of their daily schedule, and pulled 89 planes from service after hail battered the carriers' biggest hub and storms raked across the central U.S. The airline cancelled 326 flights into and out of Dallas-Fort Worth yesterday as repairs began, and cancelled 188 flights for today. It will take several days to get all planes repaired and back into service. Some 62 planes need some kind of repairs. The airline flew as many as 50 workers from its Tulsa maintenance base, along with tools and parts, to handle repairs. The damaged planes are at airport gates, on tarmacs and even on taxiways. American hopes the planes will all be back in service by Saturday but has to find the time to make the repairs and find all the parts needed.

IlliniRacer
05-28-11, 08:34 PM
Here is a first hand account from one of our ER docs -
http://www.mercy.net/joplin/stories-of-mercy/45-seconds

We will have an 80 bed mobile hospital set up and operational by tomorrow - ER, Med/Surg, Inpatient, Imaging and Lab services all functional within a week of disaster. Lots of people working around the clock. There is still a lot of work to be done. As of today, we still have had no contact with about 300 employees. Please continue to pray for them.

nrc
05-29-11, 12:14 AM
The photos from Joplin are like those from the Tsunami in Japan. It's hard to conceive of what that much destruction means to the lives of the thousands who live there.

Thoughts and prayers for the survivors and the lost.

TravelGal
05-31-11, 12:44 AM
IlliniR, please let us know how you are and how things are going. I've been reading that Joplin is almost overwhelmed with donations in kind, which takes time, energy, and space away from the actual housing needs and rebuilding plans.

Ankf00
05-31-11, 11:09 AM
there's one photo from Joplin which I can't seem to find again, all 4 legs of a wooden chair are deeply embedded into a concrete wall, the chair 100% intact...

Don Quixote
05-31-11, 11:27 AM
wow

http://i.imgur.com/HTHoC.jpg