PDA

View Full Version : Dear Michael Andretti

The Doctor
05-21-11, 04:53 PM
:tony::rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh:

That is all.

trish
05-21-11, 05:14 PM
I've been turning to ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC and no Indy stuff all day. I finally just realized it must all be on Versus. So what happened?

cameraman
05-21-11, 05:37 PM
Don't know, the coverage hasn't started yet. Should be a great race with Leipheimer and Horner fighting it out with Schleck and the guys from Garmin.

trish
05-21-11, 06:09 PM
Tagliani :thumbup:

Ganassi and co. :thumbup:

Elmo T
05-21-11, 06:11 PM
Mandatory...

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=92

Racing Truth
05-21-11, 06:59 PM
Mandatory...

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=92

CC: Franchitti's crew.:laugh::laugh::rofl::rofl:

Awesome stuff from Tags AND Oriol!

Racing Truth
05-21-11, 07:03 PM
Apparently, Dixon ran out in 4, costing him P1.

Epic MathFail at TCGR.:laugh::eek:

IlliniRacer
05-21-11, 08:00 PM
Apparently, Dixon ran out in 4, costing him P1.

Epic MathFail at TCGR.:laugh::eek:

Chip can only work with numbers that have a $ in front of them

dando
05-21-11, 09:20 PM
Mr. Judd and Dixon running out of eth == goodness like Penske and Rahole missing the 497.5 back in '94/'95. :laugh: Epic fail. :thumbup:

-Kevin

trish
05-21-11, 11:54 PM
Too bad they make the race anyway.

Michaelhatesfans
05-22-11, 02:24 AM
Had to go to Autosport to see what the thread was about. I didn't even know they were qualifying today. I'm actually kind of proud of that.:cool:

TKGAngel
05-22-11, 03:20 PM
It's raining in Indy and there's more rain on the way with just over two-and-a-half hours left in qualies. Princess Permapout has yet to qualify for the race.

Ed_Severson
05-22-11, 03:26 PM
Barnhart was just asked if he might consider extending qualifying beyond 6:00 to give Danica a chance if they can't get the track dried in time. The correct answer to that, of course, is "no". His actual answer, approximately, was "I sure hope it doesn't come to that because the media shitstorm after I do it will be enormous".

trish
05-22-11, 03:28 PM
I pray it rains the rest of the week and the track doesn't dry until Sunday morning.

TKGAngel
05-22-11, 03:32 PM
Mikey looks like he wants to cry and/or vomit. And then decide who to fire for causing Danica's car to fail tech this morning and have to fall out of the "guaranteed" attempt.

ETA: Ed, I swear the Versus crew said that those that hadn't yet qualified were "guaranteed" an attempt today before those that pulled out could go. That's why I used that word.

cameraman
05-22-11, 03:33 PM
So the mighty Andretti Autosport team:rolleyes:

17. John Andretti
31. Ryan Hunter Reay
32. Marco Andretti
DNQ Mike Conway
DNQ Danica Patrick
:rofl:

Ed_Severson
05-22-11, 03:34 PM
Just to clarify, there is no "guaranteed attempt line" today. Everybody got their one guaranteed chance yesterday, and that's it.

trish
05-22-11, 03:49 PM
Just to clarify, there is no "guaranteed attempt line" today. Everybody got their one guaranteed chance yesterday, and that's it.

So, what happens next?

The Doctor
05-22-11, 03:52 PM
So, what happens next?

Field = SOL.

However, with Barnhart at the helm, the rules could suddenly be altered, we run qualifying until it's so dark you can't see anything and all the Andretti cars get in after all cars in front of them mysteriously fail a new post-qualifying tech inspection.

trish
05-22-11, 03:59 PM
Is today the final day for filling the field?

Ed_Severson
05-22-11, 04:00 PM
Mikey looks like he wants to cry and/or vomit. And then decide who to fire for causing Danica's car to fail tech this morning and have to fall out of the "guaranteed" attempt.

ETA: Ed, I swear the Versus crew said that those that hadn't yet qualified were "guaranteed" an attempt today before those that pulled out could go. That's why I used that word.

That's a bit of a mis-statement. The qualifying line at the beginning of Bump Day consists of the cars, in order, that were in line at the end of the previous qualifying session (i.e., at 4 PM yesterday), and then a blind draw is conducted to determine the order for any unqualified cars that weren't in line the day before.

None of them are guaranteed anything, but if you were first in line at 4 PM yesterday, nobody else could make a qualifying attempt today until either you made an attempt or withdrew from the line. Coming into today, there were 9 spots to fill, so if you were 10th in line today and the previous 9 made attempts, filled the field, and then it rained until 6 PM, you're SOL.

In the Bump Day order today, Danica was 10th but in front of her was the #57 entry from Fisher that won't run, as well as a crashed Dragon car and 6 T cars, so she was effectively 2nd. That means that if she had been ready to go, they could not have filled the field without her having a chance to run, but when she failed tech she gave up her spot in line, and is now guaranteed nothing.

RTKar
05-22-11, 04:11 PM
It would be criminal to alter the rules for Princess Sparkle Pony. Don't forget in years past Team Penske and Rahal failed to qualify.

Ed_Severson
05-22-11, 04:15 PM
I don't think it's going to actually be an issue -- radar looks clear, and by my eye I'd say they're perhaps 40 minutes from being able to run again. Danica is first in line, and I would think she'd have enough speed to get in. It's almost certain one of Andretti's cars won't make the race, but Danica's been the strongest of the 4 regular drivers all month.

Ed_Severson
05-22-11, 05:32 PM
For those of you not watching, Dale Coyne just sort of mindf****ed Andretti into sending Conway out for his last attempt 30 minutes early. Bummer for the #27 guys, but fun to watch.

trish
05-22-11, 05:55 PM
John Andretti better watch his back for that knife.

The Doctor
05-22-11, 05:56 PM
Alex Lloyd! Dale Coyne! Kaboom!

trish
05-22-11, 06:02 PM
Why! :cry:

The Doctor
05-22-11, 06:03 PM
Ryan Hunter-Reay and Mike Conway share a common problem: they don't have a last name of Andretti.

Trevor Longman
05-22-11, 06:11 PM
What has the world come to when Danicles and Marco make it into the 500 but talented people like RHR and Conway don't? :(

dando
05-22-11, 06:13 PM
Eggcitement Amplified I tell you. :tony:

-Kevin

Racing Truth
05-22-11, 06:18 PM
For those of you not watching, Dale Coyne just sort of mindf****ed Andretti into sending Conway out for his last attempt 30 minutes early. Bummer for the #27 guys, but fun to watch.

Hadn't thought of it that way. Honestly thought Dale was too stupid to know the rules ("But we waved off!":gomer:), but it did just that.

Didn't matter, though, since that #27 was an absolute pig.:(

And a double :( for RHR. He knows how to slice thru the field (did it in '08), but won't get the chance.

But a huge ***king :thumbup: to Coyne and Lloyd. Wow.

Racing Truth
05-22-11, 06:23 PM
What has the world come to when Danicles and Marco make it into the 500 but talented people like RHR and Conway don't? :(

Well, w/ Conway, he/the car had ZERO speed all week+. We could see it coming from a mile away.

On RHR, Dale Coyne outtimed Andretti, giving him a Solomonic choice- Marco or RHR. Considering it was Marco that HAD been bumped, well it was frankly proper for him to get a shot.

And I'll say this, at IMS, Marco and Danica know what they're doing. Other places? Ehhh, not so much, but oh well.

gjc2
05-23-11, 07:07 AM
Did they know Marco had that speed? If they did know, why didn’t they withdraw Marco’s time and re-qualify? That would have left RHR in the race, albeit on the bubble. At least he wouldn’t have been bumped by his own team mate.

Racing Truth
05-23-11, 12:32 PM
Did they know Marco had that speed? If they did know, why didn’t they withdraw Marco’s time and re-qualify? That would have left RHR in the race, albeit on the bubble. At least he wouldn’t have been bumped by his own team mate.

The Ghost of Paul Tracy 2010, that's why. Do you pull a qualified (at the time) speed, go out again in the final 30 mins. and risk, say a wreck?

For the record, MICHAEL wanted to do just that, but Marco spent 15 mins. debating/arguing with him over it.

The Doctor
05-23-11, 05:35 PM
I REALLY hate Michael Andretti:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-junqueira-out-hunter-reay-in-at-indy/

“I know they are talking but I don’t know what’s going to happen but Larry Foyt is one of the nicest people I’ve ever worked with and so is A.J,” said Junqueira on Monday while doing an Indy 500 media blitz in Milwaukee.

“They’ve been great to me. If I can race that would be great. If not, I had some fun and our team qualified well and Vitor (Meira) is in great shape for the race.

“I just hope in the future people will see that I can still drive these cars and I would love to run the full year again.”

Whether Andretti would pay Foyt to pull Junqueira’s entry which would promote Hunter-Reay back into the field, or whether RHR would occupy the No. 41 on race day is unknown at this point, but either way, is looks like the Brazilian is out on his backside for the second time in the last three Indy 500s.

gjc2
05-23-11, 06:20 PM
The Ghost of Paul Tracy 2010, that's why. Do you pull a qualified (at the time) speed, go out again in the final 30 mins. and risk, say a wreck?

For the record, MICHAEL wanted to do just that, but Marco spent 15 mins. debating/arguing with him over it.

But next on the bump list was his team mate. It was pretty clear that Marco would be bumped, if they had pulled their time and re-qualified Marco would be safe and the bar would have been raised (just a little) for the next bumping attempt.

manic mechanic
05-24-11, 01:24 AM
I REALLY hate Michael Andretti:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-junqueira-out-hunter-reay-in-at-indy/

Well, I'm one in the other camp.. I think Foyt owes Bruno A LOT more than $$$ for being this nice, considering past events.

I'm glad that Bruno doesn't have to go through the "meat grinder" that the fiyhunnert became in it's descent. I talked with him at LBGP and commended his decision to work with a car that could benefit his career and his health (while IndyCar was on-track). Basically, he goes to Indy to "slay the dragon", IMHO.

BTW, looking at the media's presentation of Cottman's "COT", the only things that show progress are the undertray (nothing like "regression" to a proven way to keep cars less aero-dependent) and the turbos.. Yet another interpretation of racing that caters to the LCD. :shakehead SpIndy Fever... Catch it! woo-hoo... :shakehead

manic

Fio1
05-24-11, 02:12 AM
I can't believe this could even be allowed. Junqueira qualified that car and should be the only driver allowed o drive that car. Hey maybe Milka Dunno could race at Indy this year by buying Buddy Rice's ride....:shakehead

Ed_Severson
05-24-11, 08:30 AM
It's been like this for a hundred years -- it's always been the car, not the driver, that qualifies.

This really sucks for Bruno and I think it's a weasel move by Andretti, but it's not surprising. I don't understand, though, why they don't run Conway in that car instead of Hunter-Reay, considering their respective spots in the points.

And the scapegoating of Tom Anderson is ********, IMO, but it is what it is. Not surprising that some heads would roll, and most of all I'm glad it was nobody I know personally.

TKGAngel
05-24-11, 08:36 AM
I feel bad for RHR. He's getting a lot of vitriol directed at him when the decision was out of his hands. I feel bad for Junky who got shat on again. I feel bad for Conway, who seems to be low man on the Andretti totem pole. (Or is it that Conway has what appears to be a not-for-profit sponsor, while RHR has those bringing cash money to the table?)

And the scapegoating of Tom Anderson is ********

There was a shot on Sunday of Anderson walking back to Gasoline Alley and the look on his face indicated that he knew the ish was going to hit the fan and come back down on him.

chop456
05-24-11, 08:53 AM
I didn't know anything the earl did was important enough for someone to lose their job over. :gomer:

devilmaster
05-24-11, 11:07 AM
From Paul Page's blog www.paulpage.tv

What is going on at Indy. I get more press releases about sponsor deals than about drivers and race cars. Now a qualified seat is for sale. And the trade is between to of the biggest names in the 100 year history; Foyt and Andretti. Where are the officials? Will the future of the race be 33 drivers qualify the big money comes in and buys the ride? You may or may not like Roger Penske but when his team failed at Indy he accepted that fact. Jr. and Emo were at the race to spend time with fans. The officials are first and foremost the police of the event. But since they have other considerations like car count and keeping sponsors happy they can’t do their job. It isn’t new to racing. Les Ricther and Bill Gazaway at NASCAR took pride in the hip pocket rule that allowed them to do anything in the ” best interest of the sport “. Not the competition but sport. Everybody has a version of that rule now but only the honorable use it to conduct the event fairly. So., when the 100th Anniversary race begins will it be the 11 rows of 3, the best there is or will it be a talented group of guys with deals?

chop456
05-24-11, 11:35 AM
Did he read Cavein's column or vice-versa? :shakehead

Rogue Leader
05-24-11, 12:44 PM
It's been like this for a hundred years -- it's always been the car, not the driver, that qualifies.

This really sucks for Bruno and I think it's a weasel move by Andretti, but it's not surprising. I don't understand, though, why they don't run Conway in that car instead of Hunter-Reay, considering their respective spots in the points.

And the scapegoating of Tom Anderson is ********, IMO, but it is what it is. Not surprising that some heads would roll, and most of all I'm glad it was nobody I know personally.

Yep remember the days of "T" cars where drivers would run out of attempts in their regular car so the team would roll out the spare "T" car to get 4 more attempts.

I feel bad for RHR. He's getting a lot of vitriol directed at him when the decision was out of his hands. I feel bad for Junky who got shat on again. I feel bad for Conway, who seems to be low man on the Andretti totem pole. (Or is it that Conway has what appears to be a not-for-profit sponsor, while RHR has those bringing cash money to the table?)

There was a shot on Sunday of Anderson walking back to Gasoline Alley and the look on his face indicated that he knew the ish was going to hit the fan and come back down on him.

Its completely sponsor motivated and RHR even said it in interviews. He doesn't seem to be too thrilled about this either and I feel bad for him as well. RHR is still a good driver and he "gets it", the cars just weren't up to the task. But you can tell in what he has said to the media he accepts it because he likes having a full time ride, and he understands it because DHL and Sun Drop paid to have their name on his car at Indy. But he is not happy with it either, FWIW...

Insomniac
05-24-11, 01:21 PM
So do they qualify a car or a spot? Will RHR be driving Bruno's car?

dando
05-24-11, 01:31 PM
So do they qualify a car or a spot? Will RHR be driving Bruno's car?

It's the car that qualifies, so yes RHR will be driving Junky's car. Not that it matters much in these days of homogenized craptasticness. :saywhat:

-Kevin

mueber
05-24-11, 01:48 PM
and the IRL-types want to know why I hate them. This is what I would have expected of MA, but I would have expected more of Foyt.

Racing Truth
05-24-11, 01:56 PM

I'm most pizzed at 'ole AJ. Unless Bruno knew this was a possibility from the start, then shame on AJ.

If it weren't Bruno being screwed, I'd be less po'd. But 2 times in 3 yrs? That's just not right.

Conway never sniffed the field. If Mikey handles the last 30 mins. of Bump Day better, RHR likely gets in on his own. So in that sense, this is slightly more fair.

Racing Truth
05-24-11, 01:59 PM
and the IRL-types want to know why I hate them. This is what I would have expected of MA, but I would have expected more of Foyt.

Really, though, this is typical Foyt. Ask the ghost of Tim Richmond (1981 500). Foyt also hired/took checks from Marco Greco and Saladbar.

Napoleon
05-24-11, 02:10 PM
Its completely sponsor motivated and RHR even said it in interviews. He doesn't seem to be too thrilled about this either and I feel bad for him as well.

I don't know why anyone would hold it against RHR. He has a boss who signs his checks and if he does not go along he likely is out of a ride for the rest of the season.

mueber
05-24-11, 02:23 PM
Really, though, this is typical Foyt. Ask the ghost of Tim Richmond (1981 500). Foyt also hired/took checks from Marco Greco and Saladbar.

I forgot about the Tim Richmond thing, although I think George Snider knew the score when he qualified. I wonder if Bruno did too.

Steve99
05-24-11, 02:29 PM
I predict a return to the 25/8 rule to make sure the series regulars can make the field.

Racing Truth
05-24-11, 02:29 PM
I forgot about the Tim Richmond thing, although I think George Snider knew the score when he qualified. I wonder if Bruno did too.

Dunno, and I'd like to know. If he DID know, well, c'est la vie and all that.

I must say Bruno's class in all this speaks highly of him.:cool:

Gnam
05-24-11, 02:58 PM
I predict a return to the 25/8 rule to make sure the series regulars can make the field.

:laugh:

:thumbup: to Junky on getting paid to not drive one of those crapwagons.

Insomniac
05-24-11, 03:19 PM
It's the car that qualifies, so yes RHR will be driving Junky's car. Not that it matters much in these days of homogenized craptasticness. :saywhat:

-Kevin

So RHR will be driving for Foyt with an AA paint job (and maybe parts)?

Racing Truth
05-24-11, 03:21 PM
So RHR will be driving for Foyt with an AA paint job (and maybe parts)?

Yep.

Fio1
05-24-11, 03:54 PM
It's sad because, when Penske failed to qualify he didn't do this nonsense even though Marlboro was a major sponsor in racing and neither did Bobby Rahal. The rule should be; only a driver who has driven said car during practice could take it over. I.E a teammate or sub-driver. It used to be, all the teammates tried each other's cars during the month anyways. Tags for Junqueira last year for example. Let's say, for example, if Silvestro wasn't cleared to drive, then someone could qualify her car for her, like Groff did for Goodyear in 92. Those would be legit scenarios. But this nonsense sucks big time. The sponsors on RHR's car should just do a deal with Buddy Rice or Pippa Mann and that's it. RHR didn't qualify, he doesn't deserve to race. End of story. It was his teams fault, but it's a team sport....

Michaelhatesfans
05-25-11, 09:29 AM
Maybe next year Ganassi and Penske should just qualify ALL the cars and then auction off the extra ones that they don't need. The Walmart mentality would suit the place, the more I think about it.

Cam
05-25-11, 09:55 AM
Maybe next year Ganassi and Penske should just qualify ALL the cars and then auction off the extra ones that they don't need. The Walmart mentality would suit the place, the more I think about it.

Methinks you might me right (http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798). :gomer::yuck::gomer:

devilmaster
05-25-11, 04:23 PM
Methinks you might me right (http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798). :gomer::yuck::gomer:

http://www.break.com/index/people-of-walmart-song-2063156

Corner5
05-26-11, 03:33 PM
Cheer up Junky with a haiku-

http://editor.des07.com/vo/?FileID=ce4accb2-edee-47b1-bb95-9f16e74d6807&m=1cdae826929b8c428e4d0e4003db749c&MailID=17932637

Junky in the Show

AJ Takes money for RHR

Junky bumped again

TrueBrit
05-27-11, 03:51 PM
Having seen what happened to Conway last year, and Simona this year, I have a sneaking hunch Bruno lucked out...

Insomniac
05-27-11, 04:38 PM
Having seen what happened to Conway last year, and Simona this year, I have a sneaking hunch Bruno lucked out...

If memory serves, he has already had his back broken at Indy.