PDA

View Full Version : Major Announcement!

NismoZ
05-16-11, 07:56 PM
If you are interested in Aussie V-8s. When is 11:30am Tues, AEST? Coming to America?:D

Trevor Longman
05-16-11, 11:59 PM
Seriously?! Oh wow that would be incredible! I was actually just thinking today how well suited American tracks are to V8 supercars. Mid-Ohio, Laguna Seca, VIR, Lime Rock, Road Atlanta, they're all perfect for these cars. Do you have a link or something?

opinionated ow
05-17-11, 04:56 AM
What relevance does the Australian Touring Car Championship have outside of Australia and New Zealand? As it stands, you can't buy A Ford Falcon outside of Oceania & South Africa and a Holden Commodore outside of Oceania, the UK and the Middle East.

It's a series full of Australian drivers that has never had any international interest. The engineers don't even believe they are true race cars and its about to become a spaceframe silhouette class. It's core market is Australian bogans and without them there would be no professional racing category in Australia. Taking the races away from Australia will be the fastest way to disappearing. They've already tried it with Shanghai and Bahrain and both were significant failures...

chop456
05-17-11, 05:06 AM
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/newsarticle/what-does-it-all-mean/tabid/70/newsid/11261/default.aspx

Australian Motor Racing Partners Pty Limited (AMRP) is coming on board as a major investor in V8 Supercars Australia Holdings Pty Limited (V8 Supercars).

Glad I didn't bother dusting off the sock tethers. :tony:

NismoZ
05-17-11, 09:24 AM
Wellll...there IS that part about "a stronger and more international sport" and "the COF!" I guess the teams were benefitting too much from the tremendous growth so the new structure had to take them from a 75% to a 40% stake.:laugh: PS-the sock tether thing occurred to me too.:)

Andrew Longman
05-17-11, 01:01 PM
What relevance does the Australian Touring Car Championship have outside of Australia and New Zealand? As it stands, you can't buy A Ford Falcon outside of Oceania & South Africa and a Holden Commodore outside of Oceania, the UK and the Middle East.You can't by a COT at your local USA Chevy dealer either.

Aussie V8 does produce some of the best road racing left on the planet. In the US there isn't much left worth watching.

patski
05-17-11, 03:05 PM
You can't by a COT at your local USA Chevy dealer either.

Aussie V8 does produce some of the best road racing left on the planet. In the US there isn't much left worth watching.

I agree. Bring the series to Road America!

racer2c
05-17-11, 03:56 PM
Every time I see highlight clips of the V8's makes me hate NASCAR all that much more.

Cam
05-17-11, 08:03 PM
There has been some talk of a race on the left coast. Imagine a comparison of the run thru the corkscrew at Laguna to the run thru the esses at Bathurst. :cool:

Tifosi24
05-17-11, 08:33 PM
I have enjoyed watching V8 Supercars and I too have thought they work well on US circuits. Years back in college I was roommates with a total hillbilly (definite bogan for our Southern Hemisphere folks) who loved NASCAR and he was an instant fan. That might not speak to the quality of the series, but it certainly speaks to how this sort of series could play in the US market. Granted, the France mafia will never let anything catch on in the States that isn't owned by the cartel.

Fio1
05-18-11, 07:48 PM
Every time I see highlight clips of the V8's makes me hate NASCAR all that much more.

Why is it the fact that a V8 Super Cup fan can actually go to a show room and buy a V8, rear wheel drive, manual shift version of the race cars; while the nascar fan gets stuck with an automatic, front wheel drive, V6, version? It is pretty F-ing lame if you think about it! :saywhat::shakehead:thumdown:

racer2c
05-18-11, 10:32 PM
Why is it the fact that a V8 Super Cup fan can actually go to a show room and buy a V8, rear wheel drive, manual shift version of the race cars; while the nascar fan gets stuck with an automatic, front wheel drive, V6, version? It is pretty F-ing lame if you think about it! :saywhat::shakehead:thumdown:

That's it! I'm moving to Australia!!! :thumbup:

opinionated ow
05-18-11, 11:17 PM
The way ford and generous motors are taking things, you won't be able to buy anything rear wheel drive here. We'll end up with taurus and some sort of truly awful buick le sabre or something.

NismoZ
07-01-11, 12:45 PM
Ah, shut up and get tickets for Texas!:p Be glad to send NASCAR on a foreign exchange trip to...where IS/was that new oval that was built down there a few years ago? THREE wide, baby!:\

emjaya
07-01-11, 11:38 PM
The way ford and generous motors are taking things, you won't be able to buy anything rear wheel drive here. We'll end up with taurus and some sort of truly awful buick le sabre or something.

Ford probably, but not Holden. Too smart to make that mistake, again.

Ah, shut up and get tickets for Texas!:p Be glad to send NASCAR on a foreign exchange trip to...where IS/was that new oval that was built down there a few years ago? THREE wide, baby!:\

A few years? 1987, Calder Park. It is still there, but not in use.

Nascar was like a movie star; looked good on screen, but paled in real life.

Cam
07-02-11, 12:49 AM
Ford probably, but not Holden. Too smart to make that mistake, again.

Just remember who you are replying to. :rolleyes:

opinionated ow
07-02-11, 04:48 AM
Just remember who you are replying to. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but what exactly is that supposed to mean?

Every part of the automotive construction industry is HIGH carbon intensity. With an emissions trading scheme proposed (and bound to get passed thanks to the Greens stranglehold), the business case for building vehicles in Australia has just evaporated especially when coupled with the removal of the green cars programme and the majority of Holden vehicles being nothing more than rebadged Daewoos.

devilmaster
07-02-11, 10:04 AM
That's it! I'm moving to Australia!!! :thumbup:

uh-oh.... :eek: hey goats! Run!

;)

NismoZ
07-02-11, 09:28 PM
Have to say, I really enjoyed the replay from Darwin. Shane VanGisbergen has really looked good lately, and is only 22? Gotta be fun taking on a legend like Lowndes.:thumbup: And a Kiwi, too!:D

Cam
07-02-11, 09:33 PM
And a Kiwi, too!:D

Sheesh! Don't get the bastards stated. :flame: ;)