PDA

View Full Version : Vandals

nrc
05-13-11, 03:08 AM
One of the downsides to my workplace is that the parking lot is directly in the path between a local high school and a McDonalds. This means that usually twice a day there are kids walking through the parking lot heading to and from their primary source of mcnutrients.

I think I've mentioned here before that some of these kids have from time to time taken the opportunity to commit acts of petty vandalism. My car was a common target, being away from everyone else along their path. Complaints to security resulted in a suggestion that I should park closer.

Usually it was mostly harmless stuff like throwing food or drinks on the car but I could tell they were getting more aggressive and brazen and I knew it was only a matter of time before they did real damage. That day came today, not just for me but for about a dozen people as they stomped on the roofs and hoods of cars and finally kicked in the side of mine.

In a sense I'm glad it wasn't just me. They did probably over $20,000 worth of damage with all the cars they vandalized today. Nobody can dismiss it as just kids being kids any more. We can only take heart in the fact that they haven't assaulted or robbed anyone.

For me, it's another example of why I'm losing hope for the future. We are raising a generation with no respect for the rights or property of others, no motivation to work, and no responsibility for their actions. God bless you if you are working hard to raise good kids. I fear that you are too few to make a difference. :(

Kiwifan
05-13-11, 06:06 AM
Mate, I'm so sorry. 50 years ago my mum and dad taught me right from wrong but I fear it's too late for these punks. No respect these days I'm afraid. :(

KLang
05-13-11, 08:25 AM
That sucks. :shakehead

Maybe this incident will prompt your employer to add security cameras?

Elmo T
05-13-11, 09:09 AM
Felony criminal mischief. :mad:

Worse yet, if they get caught, their parents will hire lawyers so their little pumpkin's record isn't tarnished. Just kids being kids and all. :yuck:

Early 1970's and my elementary school still allowed corporal punishment - the paddle was right there in the office. My parents made it very clear: the school would never ever be allowed to paddle me. But if the school called and asked if they could, well then my Mom said I would probably wish it could be handled at school. We need some more of that nowadays.

Indy
05-13-11, 09:22 AM
You know what works to fix that? Take about ten of you guys whose cars were bashed and stake out the lot. I recommend the use of firearms, but if you are queasy about that baseball bats are also acceptable.

Gnam
05-13-11, 09:27 AM
Don't forget the preemptive beating for the things they suspected you were doing. :D

Once you've had to work and purchase anything of value on your own, vandalism loses it's satisfaction. My dream is still to burn a Dallara dart down to its wheels, but I'll wait until I can buy one at the local pick and pull.

devilmaster
05-13-11, 09:27 AM
That sucks. :shakehead

Maybe this incident will prompt your employer to add security cameras?

Those 8 camera systems that costco is selling is actually a really good setup.

Sorry about the damage richard, If they get away with this, the next step will be the quick smash and grab one day.... :irked:

TrueBrit
05-13-11, 09:33 AM
Man that sucks...keep your spirits up though, not ALL of today's kids are future residents of the State Penn....

extramundane
05-13-11, 10:04 AM
Must have been National Teenage F-Up Day or something. A student had a 2-week old MacBook Pro snatched from her locker yesterday afternoon. No locks on the lockers here because it's never been necessary. Kids have literally left backpacks, laptops, iPods, phones, whatever out in the hallways overnight because nothing ever walks away, save the occasional teenage pranks.

Most days I feel that at least the 50-odd seniors we send off every year are helping make things better. Funny how one kid can change that. :irked::mad:

cameraman
05-13-11, 10:53 AM
This ignores the greater problem of teenage *******s but your property owner needs to consider fencing/walls to stop the high school foot traffic through their property.

chop456
05-13-11, 11:15 AM
Is revenge killing still frowned upon in Ohio?

dando
05-13-11, 11:24 AM
Felony criminal mischief. :mad:

Worse yet, if they get caught, their parents will hire lawyers so their little pumpkin's record isn't tarnished. Just kids being kids and all. :yuck:

Early 1970's and my elementary school still allowed corporal punishment - the paddle was right there in the office. My parents made it very clear: the school would never ever be allowed to paddle me. But if the school called and asked if they could, well then my Mom said I would probably wish it could be handled at school. We need some more of that nowadays.

I last got whacked in middle school in 1979. Holes drilled into the paddle and all. The PCers took over and it's been downhill since. We're quite strict, but some of their peers I've interacted with @ school.... :saywhat: :shakehead :irked:

-Kevin

racer2c
05-13-11, 11:39 AM
For me, it's another example of why I'm losing hope for the future. We are raising a generation with no respect for the rights or property of others, no motivation to work, and no responsibility for their actions. God bless you if you are working hard to raise good kids. I fear that you are too few to make a difference

I'm with you! It is an epidemic in FL for young males not to work and I'm amazed every time I hear of seemingly well raised and adjusted young women who support this behavior. It seems as if a sense of entitlement is rampant and it doesn't help that we have leaders who make claims that entitlements are what make this country great. The middle class will continue to dissolve leaving a country of elitist groups that call the shots and the masses below the poverty level e.g. Brazil. I pray I'm wrong.

datachicane
05-13-11, 12:15 PM
r2, pretty sure a lack of parenting has a lot more to do with it than anything happening in national politics. I volunteer a bunch in our public schools, and I've seen stuff that would make your blood curdle.

How about a 1st grade class doing a Mothers' Day presentation and song, and a couple of little girls in tears when their moms don't show up as promised? Turns out they both live within a block of the school, and both moms were sitting on the couch watching TV when I banged on the door to find out what the deal was (yeah, I do stuff like that). Neither came, since it was an important program they were watching :flame:.

How about elementary kids whose parents consistently get them to school 2-3 hours late? We're not talking about one or two parents, either, but pushing 20%, and the parents keep it up as the kid progresses through the grades. Sorry, kid, no 2nd or 3rd grade reading class for you. The sad thing is, this is better than the 15+% who don't bother to get the kids to school at all, save the once every two weeks the parents have learned is necessary to keep law enforcement out of the picture.

Parents opting their kids out of field trips to science museums, kindergartners in the same clothes for a week, you name it. This is part of what fries me when folks try to compare stats for public and private schools- they're forgetting that private schools get to pick their students. Parents like these would quickly see their kids get the boot, and their kids aren't exactly tearing up the test scores.

I've been doing this long enough I've seen what happens as the kids grow up. One guess which kids get in trouble in middle or high school.

</rant>

TravelGal
05-13-11, 12:15 PM
If I had more time (and more creativity), I'd write a song called "Boundaries" to the tune of "Memories." The problem, of course, is that boundaries are not set--anywhere. It's all OK or a stage they are going through. Well, it *is* all okay until it's not. It hasn't been for quite a while and now it's bigtime not. Apparently no one took the time to point this out before. Your employer is at fault here for not providing a safe place for employee cars and for not speaking with both the school and the Mickey D's. I won't even waste the keystrokes on the culpability of the parents. :shakehead I will, however, state that there ARE legions of good kids. There are been sightings. Recently.

stroker
05-13-11, 12:19 PM
Is waterboarding regarded as corporal punishment?

datachicane
05-13-11, 12:54 PM
If I had more time (and more creativity), I'd write a song called "Boundaries" to the tune of "Memories." The problem, of course, is that boundaries are not set--anywhere. It's all OK or a stage they are going through. Well, it *is* all okay until it's not. It hasn't been for quite a while and now it's bigtime not. Apparently no one took the time to point this out before.

You're giving a big percentage of the parents far too much credit here. There's no thought process or rationale behind it, they just flat-out ignore the kids. Zero parenting, zero interaction, zero interest. How about kindergarten and first grade kids who haven't got the foggiest idea how to use scissors or have never used a crayon, but have spent hours watching mom and dad master WOW?

The parents' rationalizations come after the kid gets busted- then it becomes about stages, 'kids will be kids', and all that crap in an attempt for the parent to CYA. Until the kid gets busted, they're totally off the radar.

Napoleon
05-13-11, 01:01 PM
Is waterboarding regarded as corporal punishment?

Not if a sargent does it.

Don Quixote
05-13-11, 01:23 PM
:rimshot:

racer2c
05-13-11, 01:42 PM
r2, pretty sure a lack of parenting has a lot more to do with it than anything happening in national politics. I volunteer a bunch in our public schools, and I've seen stuff that would make your blood curdle.

How about a 1st grade class doing a Mothers' Day presentation and song, and a couple of little girls in tears when their moms don't show up as promised? Turns out they both live within a block of the school, and both moms were sitting on the couch watching TV when I banged on the door to find out what the deal was (yeah, I do stuff like that). Neither came, since it was an important program they were watching :flame:.

How about elementary kids whose parents consistently get them to school 2-3 hours late? We're not talking about one or two parents, either, but pushing 20%, and the parents keep it up as the kid progresses through the grades. Sorry, kid, no 2nd or 3rd grade reading class for you. The sad thing is, this is better than the 15+% who don't bother to get the kids to school at all, save the once every two weeks the parents have learned is necessary to keep law enforcement out of the picture.

Parents opting their kids out of field trips to science museums, kindergartners in the same clothes for a week, you name it. This is part of what fries me when folks try to compare stats for public and private schools- they're forgetting that private schools get to pick their students. Parents like these would quickly see their kids get the boot, and their kids aren't exactly tearing up the test scores.

I've been doing this long enough I've seen what happens as the kids grow up. One guess which kids get in trouble in middle or high school.

</rant>

I can only imagine. I wasn't necessarily blaming politics and politicians but rather as a result of a Catch 22. My 'entitlements' comment is aimed at the parents of these kids than the kids themselves.

The last exposure I had to public school was 4 years ago when we moved to FL and enrolled our daughter in the local public high school. We moved from northern VA where the average income is pushing 6 figures, to a county in Florida where 75% are retirees, 15% make up the local workforce and the rest unemployed and below the poverty line. Of course the contrast in school systems were/are dramatic and apparent. From less than 10 year old campuses with state of the art computer labs, research facilities that rival small colleges etc in Va, to dilapidated campuses with a faculty that is required to spend more time focused on gang related issues than their lesson plan.

I was shocked one day when I had to take a book bag to my daughter and the entrance process to the school was what I would equate to a state pen (ok, at least county lock up!). With full airport style metal detectors, a full time armed security guard behind bullet proof glass who confiscated my drivers license until my exit and made me sign numerous pages of 'things'.
Luckily for my daughter she met the requirements for senior status (she was entering junior year) and she only had to avoid the gang members for a few months and she was off to college.

Florida is a unique and interesting demographic of students. Florida is where grandma lives and grandma is who gets to take care of little Sally and Johnny because they won't stop vandalizing nrc's car. Their parents get fed up and off to the land of sunshine they go. The percentage is shocking. Unfortunately, grandma already raised her kids, is out of touch with the new technologies and behaviors of a 15 year old in 2011 so little Johny and Sally run wild. That the juvi halls and state pens are overflowing is no mystery. I actually have the classic case in my own family in my nephew. Shipped to my mother when he was 17, now 27, never employed with no motivation or care about the world around him. I wouldn't doubt that he'll suck off the teet of 'charity' for his entire life and there is nothing I can do or say to change that (I've tried).

I was fortunate that my parents sent me to private school after my first two years in public high school was less than stellar (to sidestep my own story). I have first hand experience with the pros and cons of each. Ultimately every individuals motivation comes from within.

Interesting subject and one that I think should be at the top of the list to help rectify.

datachicane
05-13-11, 02:18 PM
Good discussion.
I wish I knew what the fix was. Some kids get into trouble despite folks that do everything right (I probably fell into that category myself), but there's a huge chunk who never had much of a chance. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to make parents care about kids that they likely saw as a burden in the first place, and probably had similar upbringings themselves.

There's certainly no simple fix, but this is the stuff that comes to mind whenever there's the inevitable flap about some organization passing out free contraception. I can think of no better use for the few piddling cents it would cost me than for my tax dollars to ensure that every future 'parent' who doesn't want kids doesn't get them. We'll sure as hell end up paying one way or the other.

RaceGrrl
05-13-11, 02:51 PM
Good discussion.
I can think of no better use for the few piddling cents it would cost me than for my tax dollars to ensure that every future 'parent' who doesn't want kids doesn't get them.

I work in the medical field: OB/GYN, and it's amazing to me the number of teenage moms we have with Medicaid. IT seems that if you're pregnant you qualify. Where's the motivation to use contraception? It's widely available, but many people are just too damned lazy to use it. Why should they? There's an entitlement for nearly every occasion. Why bother preventing the pregnancy when it will bring in government bennies for the first 18 years of your child's life? Got kids? Yay- government will house you. Got kids? Yay! Free food. Got kids? Yay! Free medical care. Got kids and don't got a car? Yay! Government will pay for a free taxi ride to the doctor. Got kids and don't got heat in your government housing? Yay! Free electric. Got kids and no phone? Yay! Free cell phone for you.

Got a job? Yay! You get reamed by the government to pay for all of the above. :flame:

Oh, and when you don't pay your doctor bill for 9 months of prenatal care and the delivery of a perfectly healthy baby, I'm sending your deadbeat ass to collections. It's the least I can do.

TravelGal
05-13-11, 03:52 PM
You're giving a big percentage of the parents far too much credit here. There's no thought process or rationale behind it, they just flat-out ignore the kids. Zero parenting, zero interaction, zero interest. How about kindergarten and first grade kids who haven't got the foggiest idea how to use scissors or have never used a crayon, but have spent hours watching mom and dad master WOW?

The parents' rationalizations come after the kid gets busted- then it becomes about stages, 'kids will be kids', and all that crap in an attempt for the parent to CYA. Until the kid gets busted, they're totally off the radar.

I didn't notice that I gave the parents any credit. What I meant to say is that the parents (I wasn't going to waste keystrokes on them!) don't set any boundaries.

Your comment that they don't even notice the kids is well taken. Horrifying but understood. When I sit in a restaurant I never fail to see a parent texting furiously while the kids sit not-so-idly by, left to their own devices. The only message they are receiving loud and clear is that someone/thing is much more important to their parent than they are at this moment.

Ankf00
05-13-11, 06:56 PM
that sucks. any CCTV on site?

Insomniac
05-14-11, 11:14 AM
That is crazy. I hope they are caught.

nrc
05-14-11, 01:16 PM
Tons of CCTV on site. Trouble is that it's all pointed at interior and exterior doors.

It sounds like we've made the transition from single parent households to zero parent households. Kids are being raised by the Internet and the Internet says that they should have everything that they want immediately and without effort.

The police think they know who the kid is but they'll have a hard time proving anything unless one of his friends decides to rat him out.

Don Quixote
05-14-11, 01:58 PM
The police think they know who the kid is but they'll have a hard time proving anything unless one of his friends decides to rat him out.
There is always Sicilian justice. ;)

nrc
05-14-11, 02:13 PM
Yeah, one of the other victims suggested we should go ride around and try to find them. I said that sounds like the beginning of a documentary with a very unhappy ending.

dando
05-14-11, 03:38 PM
I suggest hiring this guy:

http://indianapolis.metromix.com/content_image/full/595225/560/370

;)

-Kevin

Elmo T
05-14-11, 04:07 PM

A small reward with a notice posted in the school works wonders. Our PD has had great success in the local high school with this approach. The kids talk and someone knows...

Ankf00
05-14-11, 05:57 PM
Tons of CCTV on site. Trouble is that it's all pointed at interior and exterior doors.

It sounds like we've made the transition from single parent households to zero parent households. Kids are being raised by the Internet and the Internet says that they should have everything that they want immediately and without effort.

nothing a hacked fb account can't get...

nrc
05-17-11, 07:32 PM
Allstate says $1100. We'll see what the body shop says in a couple of weeks. The adjuster suggested that a quickie dent removal place might be able to pull that out. Um. No, thanks.

racer2c
05-17-11, 10:08 PM
Allstate says $1100. We'll see what the body shop says in a couple of weeks. The adjuster suggested that a quickie dent removal place might be able to pull that out. Um. No, thanks.

I had similar dent removed from my truck hood awhile back (tree branch) from a paintless dent repair guy. No crease and no paint damage. When he was done it was undetectable, and I'm picky. Cost me $85 and took the guy about an hour. Access to the dent area is key though.

nrc
05-17-11, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't consider it since the dent goes down into that crease along the wheel arch. I think that's going to be hard to get right and I think I'll be lucky if it doesn't rust prematurely because of the fatigue. :mad:

NismoZ
05-18-11, 07:04 PM
Drilled by a soccer ball. My son became our paintless dent repair guy... paused momentarily, walked into the house and came back with a toilet plunger...THWOK! Jammed that thing in the center of the dent and gave a mighty tug. Total success! He walked back toward the house, said he wanted steak for dinner. We laughed until our sides hurt. True story. Said he saw it on the Simpsons or something.