PDA

View Full Version : MacBook time

WickerBill
05-06-11, 06:08 AM
For work support purposes, I have to get and lug around a MacBook. For all you zealots, is the lowest MacBook Pro the right way to go? It is $1,200 and seems like plenty of computer... but I really don't know.

chop456
05-06-11, 06:20 AM
Unless you need a bigger screen, I see no reason to go any higher than that for your purposes.

The wife was issued a bottom-of-the-line MacBook 6(?) years ago and the thing still runs like a champ. No issues whatsoever.

KLang
05-06-11, 09:59 AM
If you have to lug it around much the new Air models with the SSD are pretty sweet. A bit less horsepower and memory though.

Insomniac
05-06-11, 01:44 PM
I got the model before this update. I got the 13" MBP. I felt the +$200 over the regular MacBook was worth it for the aluminum case, lighted keyboard, ore RAM and larger HD. I didn't think +$300 was worth it for a bigger HD and 1 speed step on the CPU for the other MBP model.

FYI--I doubt Apple would sell anything that doesn't run OS X perfectly smooth out of the box.

cameraman
05-06-11, 02:05 PM
13" or 15" is your call. I would absolutely increase the size of the hard drive and if you are planning on using a bootcamp partition you want to go with the largest that they sell.

Indy
05-06-11, 11:29 PM
The Pros are WAY more rugged than the regular MacBook. If you don't need a bigger screen, buy the lowest Pro and max out the memory and HD.

And you might want to take a look at the Airs. They may not be enough computer for you, but they are bloody brilliant for what they are.

nissan gtp
05-08-11, 07:38 AM
the 13 inch Pro is an excellent little system

WickerBill
05-08-11, 08:25 AM
Ok. I got the 13" mbp with SSD but no other upgrades. Should be interesting...

Napoleon
05-10-11, 04:39 PM
Ok. I got the 13" mbp with SSD but no other upgrades. Should be interesting...

So exactly where did you get it? (http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/189163/45/Westlake-Crocker-Park-smash-n-grab-watch-video)

TrueBrit
05-11-11, 12:29 PM
Bought the kid the mid-range MacBrook Pro for xmas and she hasn't managed to pooch it in almost 4 whole months...the "top of the line" HP (which I found out means 'Huge Pile') we bought her when she started college managed to destroy itself in less than a year...it was loaded with Vista which was bloody awful, she "upgraded" to Win 7 and it ran marginally better, then one day ker-blamo, blue screen of death and absolutely bugger-all help from the Nerds at Worst Buy...She got it working long enough to retrieve her 8 million songs from iTunes, but after that it was only useful for target practice...

She loves it so I can only give that as a recommendation...all I know is I'm having a staycation this year because it cost so bloody much...Ahh yes, the joys of parenting!!

indyfan31
05-11-11, 12:38 PM
The Pros are WAY more rugged than the regular MacBook. If you don't need a bigger screen, buy the lowest Pro and max out the memory and HD.

And you might want to take a look at the Airs. They may not be enough computer for you, but they are bloody brilliant for what they are.

think so? I always assumed it was the other way around. the regular macbook being aimed at students seemed a lot more ruggedly built. I've owned both and that's the impression I got.

but to answer the original question boss, yes, I would think the off-the-shelf macbook pro would be fine for "support purposes". the support laptops we have at work may have a lot of applications on them, but they're not used for storing a lot of data, so a huge drive hasn't been necessary.

indyfan31
05-11-11, 12:44 PM
So exactly where did you get it? (http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/189163/45/Westlake-Crocker-Park-smash-n-grab-watch-video)

You would think an Apple store would have much better surveillance equipment than the 7-11 down the street. :shakehead

WickerBill
05-11-11, 06:31 PM
It has arrived and I am posting on OC with it. For the Mac lovers, what am I supposed to be loving? The hardware or the OS? It's OK... just... not worth my zealotry, yet...

cameraman
05-11-11, 10:06 PM
The hardware or the OS? It's OK... just... not worth my zealotry, yet...

I predict that the command key vs control key is going to drive you around the bend.

Indy
05-11-11, 11:53 PM
Now that I use both I switch between them effortlessly, but at first the differences were a challenge.

You will get more used to it, and then you will begin to see the brilliance of the design, and then you will think that you should buy another, and before long you will wake up in an Apple store with Steve Jobs' face tattooed on your ass.

Then the PC nerds on offcamber will call you a fanboi and make fun of you mercilessly. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

indyfan31
05-12-11, 10:39 AM
I predict that the command key vs control key is going to drive you around the bend.

:laugh:

WickerBill
05-19-11, 09:31 AM

#%&$*@!!!

dando
05-19-11, 12:41 PM
#%&$*@!!!

Just keep the three-fingered salute in mind: Command, Option, Escape. You will need it. :irked: I've used a MacBook Pro along with my Windoze laptops/desktops for several years. The Mac hardware is sleek, but both OSes have their strengths and weaknesses. Best part about OSX is that the IT guys here don't put the crapware on them like they do the XP and Windoze 7 machines (which requires 30+ minutes for boot up). :saywhat:

-Kevin

nissan gtp
05-19-11, 05:36 PM
It has arrived and I am posting on OC with it. For the Mac lovers, what am I supposed to be loving? The hardware or the OS? It's OK... just... not worth my zealotry, yet...

I found the transition period to be a real pisser. Don't try to turn it into a windows box, and you'll be a fanboi in no time.

Posted from my iMac :laugh:

Cam
05-21-11, 10:44 AM
Bought a Pro this arvo. Trying to resist putting Fedora on it. Seriously sweet hardware. But it would want to be for the price.

Cam
05-21-11, 11:28 AM
Crap! Now it's talking to me! I can't figure out which button to hit to make it stop!!!! :eek:

KLang
05-21-11, 12:08 PM
F10 is Mute. :p

miatanut
05-23-11, 06:48 PM
Bought a Pro this arvo. Trying to resist putting Fedora on it. Seriously sweet hardware. But it would want to be for the price.

:rofl:

I thought they were pretty weird when I first encountered one in '86 but started using them in '89. Now I own 8 through my business, and have some retired business ones at home. Had at least 15 over the years, and a year ago I had the first one actually die on me. It was a water-cooled G5 which I got because it was about time to get another computer and I thought it would be fun to have a water-cooled computer and maybe the early Intel Macs would have issues so I got the last of the old.

At 4 1/2 years basically it died of a blown head gasket, which was a Delphi (GM) part. This happened during the GM bankruptcy, so the only Mac I ever had die, died because of a defective part from a bankrupt American auto manufacturer. :D

What I like is that in 10 years of business, I've had geeks in here five times to fix stuff I couldn't fix, and memory upgrades is the most hardcore thing I've ever done on a computer. They cost me twice as much to buy, then save me money on operations.