PDA

View Full Version : Sucks when taxpayers can no longer pony up

SurfaceUnits
04-27-11, 07:29 PM
Shrinking Funds Pull Plug on Alien Search Devices

In the mountains of Northern California, a field of radio dishes that look like giant dinner plates waited for years for the first call from intelligent life among the stars.

But they\'re not listening anymore.

Cash-strapped governments, it seems, can no longer pay the interstellar phone bill.

Astronomers at the SETI Institute said a steep drop in state and federal funds has forced the shutdown of the Allen Telescope Array, a powerful tool in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, an effort scientists refer to as SETI.

SETI Institute chief executive Tom Pierson said in an email to donors last week that the University of California, Berkeley, has run out of money for day-to-day operation of the dishes.

\"Unfortunately, today\'s government budgetary environment is very difficult, and new solutions must be found,\" Pierson wrote.

The $50 million array was built by SETI and UC Berkeley with the help of a $30 million donation from Microsoft Corp. co-founder Paul Allen. Operating the dishes cost about $1.5 million a year, mostly to pay for the staff of eight to 10 researchers and technicians to operate the facility.

An additional $1 million a year was needed to collect and sift the data from the dishes.

The Paul G. Allen Family Foundation, the billionaire\'s philanthropic venture, had no immediate plans to provide more funding to the facility, said David Postman, a foundation spokesman.

Published April 27, 2011 | Associated Press

datachicane
04-27-11, 07:58 PM
The array cost $50M to construct, $1.5M/year to operate and another $1M/year to process the data.

To put this in perspective, according to the GAO each of the 183 F-22 currently on contract costs $339M.

:saywhat:

We're ponying, all right...

SurfaceUnits
04-27-11, 08:21 PM
there are 62 buildings/structures in West Virginia that Sen. Byrd used your tax dollars to put his name on them. You ponied up alright.

And what makes humanoids think those intelligent beings elsewhere want to be discovered

TravelGal
04-28-11, 12:30 AM
And what makes humanoids think those intelligent beings elsewhere want to be discovered

Or would even allow it if they are so darned intelligent.

Not to sound too much like the late Sen Proxmire, but even though I'm very much in favor of all things space-related, I always wondered what those 8-10 researchers were doing all year at the SETI project.

KLang
04-28-11, 08:11 AM
I always thought SETI was privately funded. I admire their goals, not so sure the government needs to pay for it, need more fighter jets.:p

racer2c
04-28-11, 09:17 AM
If aliens pull a surprise attack on us I am going to be sooooo pissed off!!!! :flame:

SurfaceUnits
04-28-11, 10:19 AM
Or would even allow it if they are so darned intelligent.

Not to sound too much like the late Sen Proxmire, but even though I\'m very much in favor of all things space-related, I always wondered what those 8-10 researchers were doing all year at the SETI project.

and think of all the green house gases generated by all the computers around the world that are left on 24/7 processing SETI data.
SETI@homeApr 27, 2011 ... Currently the largest distributed computing effort with over 3 million users. Participate by running a program that downloads and analyzes ...

No wonder all the tornadic activity this spring.

The Doctor
04-28-11, 10:22 AM
If aliens pull a surprise attack on us I am going to be sooooo pissed off!!!! :flame:

Even with SETI, we still got this:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1FkSMmxac42SByjW0h_225iieYetcB ECMl_IHTqPe4eTzhTTCzA

Don Quixote
04-28-11, 10:38 AM
It never works out for the aliens, I am not afraid.

http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/images/war_worlds_pal_8_x.jpg

Insomniac
04-28-11, 11:50 AM
Not to sound too much like the late Sen Proxmire, but even though I'm very much in favor of all things space-related, I always wondered what those 8-10 researchers were doing all year at the SETI project.

Haven't you seen Contact? ;)

TravelGal
04-28-11, 12:11 PM
Haven't you seen Contact? ;)

:rofl: