PDA

View Full Version : Not Electric, Not Hybrid, It's...

NismoZ
04-23-11, 11:21 AM
SkyActiv! Mazda finally gets serious about fuel efficiency but still pushes the Zoom Zoom. (thankyou) Increased power, torque and HIGH compression...with 21% improved mileage. Up to 40mpg. They needed it. New 2.2 Diesel also. New CX-5 small SUV coming in the fall too. Mazda has been BUSY!:thumbup:MINAGI! (that's "energy ready to burst into motion at any time" I hope that doesn't mean a blown engine!)

trish
04-23-11, 12:00 PM
Here's a link. http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/skyactiv/engine/

Gnam
04-23-11, 12:24 PM
Dang. :thumbup:

The link mentioned they were able to make the diesel engine 3 kg lighter when the compression ratio dropped. But they didn't mention if they had to increase the weight of the gasoline engine to handle the higher 14:1 compression.

manic mechanic
04-28-11, 12:32 AM
Cool way to go, not using the Atkinson or Miller cycle on the intake side to manage all that compression... I like the approach.

manic

chop456
04-28-11, 01:42 AM
Not completely sure I understand their explanation of the benefits of a low-compression diesel, but I'm guessing they know more about it than I do. :gomer:

Now put it in a C-Max and let's get to gettin'. :tony:

NismoZ
04-29-11, 02:16 PM
Now I'm not sure I completely understand, Chopper...why not take the little Diesel in the CX-5? Granted, I haven't seen the C-Max yet but what do you perceive as it's advantage over the 5? That 7th seat?;)